PDA

View Full Version : Stoops Speaks; Berry Tramel

SoonerofAlabama
6/5/2011, 03:33 PM
About Why OU Doesn't Get in NCAA Trouble Anymore...

Berry Tramel: OU's Bob Stoops not interested in baby-sitting In his first public comments since the Jim Tressel scandal, the Sooners' coach says he won't be following his players around.

Bob Stoops is not in the baby-sitting business. Constant monitoring of ballplayers? Prior restraint of a 20-year-old's behavior? Staying on top of 100 guys?

“Listen, if people think that I'm going to be chasing around, following my players around, that's not happening,” Stoops said the other day in his first public comments since the Ohio State scandal cost Jim Tressel his job.

“If I have to do that, I'm gonna do your (media) job, or do someone else's job. I'm not coaching.”

Stoops and Tressel have common bonds. Stoops grew up in Youngstown, Ohio, and has had family members coach Youngstown State football. Tressel coached Youngstown State to four NCAA Division I-AA championships.

“I love Jim Tressel,” Stoops said. “I think he's a fabulous guy. He's overall been a strong example for all coaches. And I don't know all the circumstances around his situation. So it's impossible for me to comment on that.”

But Stoops did comment on how he has handled and will handle players who receive impermissible benefits.

And it differs starkly from the way Tressel dealt with his Buckeyes. Tressel learned of allegations and did not report them to his athletic director or compliance officers or the NCAA. Ultimately, that's what cost Tressel his job.

Stoops, indirectly, indicted Tressel while explaining how Oklahoma football has handled and will handle misdeeds.

“We can't follow a hundred players around,” Stoops said. “That's just not realistic and not gonna happen.

“So, at the end of the day, our players are very well educated on what's allowed and what isn't. If something isn't appropriate, it's dealt with, I like to think, appropriately and in the right way. And that's it.”

Stoops chatted Thursday night, just before the OU Caravan's Dallas event. During the program, Stoops took questions from fans and was asked about the difference in the way Tressel handled the Terrelle Pryor allegations and the way Stoops handled Rhett Bomar's excessive benefits in 2006.

“Our conversation wasn't very long,” Stoops said of Bomar. Stoops said he confronted Bomar with the evidence that he had been paid by Big Red Sports & Imports for work not performed and told him, “You're not playing at Oklahoma.”

For a year, Bomar wondered?

“No, it's going to be forever,” Stoops said he said. “We'll move on. You can transfer.”

Said Stoops, “Our players are educated. They know. If you knowingly break the rules, we're going to move on. We'll find someone else to play quarterback.

“I felt it was in the best interest of our university. Our players know, we're going to do things right. At least that's our hope.”

Stoops bristled at the suggestion he deserves credit for the way he handled the Bomar case.

“I'm not looking for a bit of credit,” Stoops said. “I did what I thought needed to happen in our situation. All situations are different.

“All I know is, we will deal with our situations the way we feel needs to be dealt with. And to further educate our players on how they need to move forward. And if situations like this do occur here, this is how your situation will be.”

Swift justice seems to be Stoops' style. Wyatt Earp is walking the streets of Norman.

“It's impossible to know what everyone does behind closed doors,” Stoops said. “Even in families, you don't know sometimes what's going on. So to think we know, when families or wives and husbands don't know?

“No one knows. At the end of the day, if someone tries to conceal something they will, and when you find out, you deal with it. That's it. We can't possibly know everything that happens.”

It's the American Way. Freedom to do most anything you want. Just be prepared to pay the consequences, which Tressel did not demand of his Buckeyes.

Read more: http://newsok.com/berry-tramel-ous-bob-stoops-not-interested-in-baby-sitting/article/3574387#ixzz1OR5n8tUV

texaspokieokie
6/5/2011, 03:34 PM
now that's been posted twice.

MyT Oklahoma
6/5/2011, 03:35 PM
And as I just posted above, Bob's comments are right on point. We are so fortunate to have a man like him in charge at OU.

SoonerofAlabama
6/5/2011, 03:37 PM
New article!

texaspokieokie
6/5/2011, 03:39 PM
well, i didn't re-read the whole thing, but it's @ least very similar.

badger
6/6/2011, 10:40 AM
“Our conversation wasn't very long,” Stoops said of Bomar. Stoops said he confronted Bomar with the evidence that he had been paid by Big Red Sports & Imports for work not performed and told him, “You're not playing at Oklahoma.”

For a year, Bomar wondered?

“No, it's going to be forever,” Stoops said he said. “We'll move on. You can transfer.”

Can you just picture that conversation?

Rhett: Sooo... I can just come back in a year and everything will be all right, right?
Stoops:
http://www.coacheshotseat.com/BobStoopsCHS.jpg
Stoops: NO, forever.
Rhett: Like forever as in one year?
http://www.igetinfo4u.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/1292111297-96.jpg
Rhett: One year?

http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/bobstoops2.jpg
Stoops: GTFO.

LakeRat
6/6/2011, 11:04 AM
Can you just picture that conversation?

Rhett: Sooo... I can just come back in a year and everything will be all right, right?
Stoops:
http://www.coacheshotseat.com/BobStoopsCHS.jpg
Stoops: NO, forever.
Rhett: Like forever as in one year?
http://www.igetinfo4u.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/1292111297-96.jpg
Rhett: One year?

http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/bobstoops2.jpg
Stoops: GTFO.

That's amazin!!

Jacie
6/6/2011, 12:25 PM
Suppose Tressel had dealt with the situation immediately and in the right way. I am talking only about tattoos-for-memorabilia, not Pryor's rides. Were there more than five players involved and would Tressel have had an option other than permanent dismissal of the players? Had he taken this route, whether the punishment was some players lost for part of a season or dismissed from the team, tOSU would not have had a great 2010 season but Tressel would have come out his integrity intact and smelling like a rose. Had he begun to rein the kids in, clean things up, it would not have affected recruiting, they are Ohio State after all and don't have to induce kids to play for them, his reputation would be cast as both a great coach and the pinnacle of ethical behavior, win-win for him. Instead, he followed the script from how not to deal with a bad situation and it cost him not just his job but his career. He should have talked to Bob when he got those emails . . .

Seamus
6/6/2011, 12:33 PM
Badger, I LOL'd at that. That was pretty dayum awesome :D

badger
6/6/2011, 12:48 PM
Stoops is awesome on the sideline. If I ever get to be a billionaire, I am totally gonna try to get one of those spots between Toby Keith and Jim Ross so I can listen and watch that guy up close :)

NormanPride
6/6/2011, 01:13 PM
I think 2005 is too recent for this article... But I can't think of a better person to run our program than Coach Stoops. He's a perfect blend between father figure and coach. I hope the players realize how lucky they have it to have a guy that really cares about their development.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/6/2011, 02:46 PM
well, i didn't re-read the whole thing, but it's @ least very similar.

I think Barry did his usual fine journalism, took the original espin story and twisted a word here and there for his by-line... Cheap, easy day at the computer for Barry.

fwsooner22
6/6/2011, 02:49 PM
Timely article.....another good job by Tramel.

badger
6/6/2011, 03:18 PM
I think Barry did his usual fine journalism, took the original espin story and twisted a word here and there for his by-line... Cheap, easy day at the computer for Barry.

Now now... ESPN's article quoted the Oklahoman's, not the other way around. I know Berry thinks we're all bullfeathers on these message boards, but he actually was first on this.

Soonerfan88
6/6/2011, 03:19 PM

Actually, the ESPIN article references The Oklahoman so Berry should get the credit for their usual eSPIN.

Edit: Ok, that didn't make sense when I reread it. Berry is credited with the original interview/article and ESPIN just did their usual eSPIN so deserves nothing.

BoulderSooner79
6/6/2011, 03:50 PM
Stoops is awesome on the sideline. If I ever get to be a billionaire, I am totally gonna try to get one of those spots between Toby Keith and Jim Ross so I can listen and watch that guy up close :)

And I hope you remember all your friend when you acquire those billions. We are friends, right? :confused: ;)

picasso
6/6/2011, 06:21 PM
Tramel went to the OU Caravan in Dallas. I heard him on the Animal last week as he was driving there and it was going to be the first time Stoops really spoke since the recent player tragedies.
Tramel said the best part was catching Stoops after his public address for some quotes.

I like his work myself. He's an OU grad ya know.

Easting
6/6/2011, 09:32 PM
You guys see the cockholster (Skippy) on ESPN?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6628582

BoulderSooner79
6/6/2011, 09:54 PM
You guys see the cockholster (Skippy) on ESPN?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6628582

Skippy is wrong. 20 year old players have more energy and more spare time than 50 year old coaches. And as Stoop's says, there are ~100 of them, so they out number the coaches. Then there is that whole "it's a free country" thing to deal with. Tony Jefferson thinks he is being shackled by an oppressive regime because he can't tweet. Running a military camp at a regular university won't fly.