PDA

View Full Version : ESPN - Stoops comments on Tressel

OU Engineer
6/5/2011, 03:28 PM
Apologies if this was posted already.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6628582

MyT Oklahoma
6/5/2011, 03:34 PM
Bob's comments are right on point. We are so fortunate to have a man like him in charge at OU.

hawaii 5-0
6/5/2011, 04:56 PM
Just curious why Stoops cut Bomar immediately yet gave Ryan Broyles a 2nd chance after the free gasoline problem. Was there some serious act of contrition by Broyles whereas Bomar was defiant?

Just wondrin'.......

5-0

Trump/ Cletus 2012

ouwasp
6/5/2011, 05:04 PM
My guess is Broyles was an incoming true freshman, while Bomar was a what, a 3rd yr player? That was just one thing that popped into my mind. Like Bob said, every situation is different.

Salt City Sooner
6/5/2011, 05:07 PM
1. It was not Bomar's first transgression.

2. Bomar was a TOTAL PITA almost on a daily basis.

goingoneight
6/5/2011, 05:36 PM
Just curious why Stoops cut Bomar immediately yet gave Ryan Broyles a 2nd chance after the free gasoline problem. Was there some serious act of contrition by Broyles whereas Bomar was defiant?

Just wondrin'.......

5-0

Trump/ Cletus 2012

IIRC, Broyles was doing this for quite awhile... even back when he was an orange aggy verbal commit his senior year in HS. And I think the Big Red thing was the anvil that broke the camel's back as far as Bomar's case was concerned.

sendbaht
6/5/2011, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=hawaii 5-0;3253533]Just curious why Stoops cut Bomar immediately yet gave Ryan Broyles a 2nd chance after the free gasoline problem. Was there some serious act of contrition by Broyles whereas Bomar was defiant?

Just wondrin'.......

The gas Broyles recieved was gasohol..corn...hard to kick someone off the team for corn taking.:)

BoulderSooner79
6/5/2011, 05:46 PM
Broyles act appeared to be a case of petty theft, not improper benefits. Now it could have been a gray area where the owner was allowing Broyles to take gas, but I don't recall all the details. Bomar's fake job was clearly improper benefits which made it a punishable NCAA offense.

In a way, this is ironic because what Bomar did is not even against the law. If you can get your boss to pay you for work you didn't do, more power to you. Theft is a criminal offense, but is not really on the NCAA's radar outside a vague code of conduct. But in the context of CFB, Bomar committed a crime against the team and the program, while Broyles just created a headache for Stoops and himself.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/5/2011, 06:48 PM
Let's be honest. Broyles probably should have been kicked off the team according to what Stoops said in this interview. His "protocol," if you will.

But Stoops saw something in him. And for good reason. Sometimes it's just a judgement call. And (IMO) he made the right one on both of those.

fossil
6/5/2011, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=hawaii 5-0;3253533]Just curious why Stoops cut Bomar immediately yet gave Ryan Broyles a 2nd chance after the free gasoline problem. Was there some serious act of contrition by Broyles whereas Bomar was defiant?

Just wondrin'.......

So, what does this mean where Marquis Anderson is concerned. Is he gonna be kicked off the team before he ever gets to be a part of it? Anyone, what can you tell me about the Anderson situation.

rekamrettuB
6/5/2011, 07:43 PM

Just wondrin'.......

Another thing I recall is Stoops gave Bomar and Quinn a chance to come clean and was probably going to just suspend them but Bomar and Quinn lied about it to Stoops face. Kind of like parents that already know the truth and give the kids a chance to fess up and apologize and only ground them for a week. When they lie they ground them for a month.

BoulderSooner79
6/5/2011, 07:53 PM
Bomar, Quinn and I think another player cost OU football scholarships. That hits the program, the team and coach Stoops where it hurts. In light of what is going on at tOSU, it's not hard to see why Bob takes a very hard line on NCAA violations. Civil issues can be handled more on an individual basis. As Stoops says in the interview, you can't follow 100 players. You can only educate them on the rules and responsibilities and then handle it when they stray.

goingoneight
6/5/2011, 08:04 PM
Let's be honest. Broyles probably should have been kicked off the team according to what Stoops said in this interview. His "protocol," if you will.

But Stoops saw something in him. And for good reason. Sometimes it's just a judgement call. And (IMO) he made the right one on both of those.

There's always a difference from one guy to another fans will never see. Obviously, Ryan Broyles had a chance to be special. So did Bomar, Jarboe and a slew of others. I think the answer to why Broyles stuck and Bomar didn't lies somewhere between Stoops knowing whether or not the player would/could change his ways and what all else the player had done to get himself in trouble. Stoops had two and a half years to figure out what kinda cat Bomar was, and when it came to something serious that he could have just suspended him for, I think it was just the last straw. Broyles, though a product of Norman, OK... was still just a 17/18-year old freshman with a lot of growing up to do. Stealing gasoline is illegal. Obviously frowned upon by the NCAA and everyone else, but it's not like the station was fueling him up so that he'd come play for OU. He was a kid being stupid, and getting busted may have been the greatest reality check to ever happen to him.

It still, to me, speaks volumes that Bomar and Peterson were a 1A and a 1B reason why OU was a preseason #1 team in the country in 2006, and Stoops gave him the boot. I know all the little orange turds of the world will have you believe that Stoops had no other choice... but he did have a choice when you look at what's going on in Columbus now... and even what happened in Columbus back when Troy Smith was playing. He had a choice to kick them out and take his whippings from the media and all the whiny little conspiracy theorists, or he could have swept it under the rug and let Bomar contend for a National Championship. He also could have pulled an SEC trick and suspended him for a few quarters. No, he had a lot of time and trust invested in Bomar to be that next great Sooner QB, and told him to GTFO at a moment's notice. This with no proven backup. When Bomar was booted, Paul Thompson was playing wide receiver, Sam Bradford was just a skinny kid nowhere near ready yet and Joey Halzle was WAY lost as far as the playbook goes. It answers the question, IMO, "Would Stoops rather win or win the right way?"

CBUS_SOONER
6/5/2011, 08:47 PM
Bomar also was drinking beer underage at a thunder game. You go BOB!!!!

King Barry's Back
6/5/2011, 08:58 PM

Just wondrin'.......

5-0

Trump/ Cletus 2012

A couple of the later posts claim that Big Red Cars was not Bomar's first transgression, and I am sure that didn't help.

But my guess is that Stoops and the NCAA would view Bomar and Big Red Cars as far more serious violations, and would therefore deserve the full hammer immediately.

Regarding Broyles, this appears to be some kind of very informal arrangement. My guess is that somebody in the gas station gave him the info he needed to get gas, maybe gave it out to several friends. It's unclear if Broyles was able to access free gas because he was an athlete, or just because he was friends with an irresponsible 19 yr old gas station employee.

Bomar, on the other hand, had a job at a pretty high profile local business, who was clearly trying to trade on the fact that they had Sooner players hanging around the dealership all summer. (This is already a violation.) In order to keep the players happy, they were willing to falsify labor records. (A second violation, and done clearly with the knowledge of Bomar.) Bomar accepted the pay for the hours he did not work. (A third violation.)

And there was an indisputable paper trail accumulated by the dealership, much of which was signed off by Bomar himself.

I don't think Stoops had much leeway in dealing with Bomar. If he let something like this slide, then the NCAA was going to be breathing down his neck for the next decade.

But still, Tressel could have cut off Pryor, et al, and saved himself boatloads of trouble, but he didn't do it.

So, once again, thanks to Bob Stoops for doing it right, and doing it at Oklahoma.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/5/2011, 11:58 PM
When I say that stoops saw something in Broyles, I mean character wise, not playing potential wise. The way Broyles was stealing gas is very suspect (im not suggesting it was a NCAA violation, just saying the whole setup was very fishy) and is much more serious than stealing a shirt from dillards. Again, IMO.

SoonerRed
6/6/2011, 12:19 PM
Tressel knew what he was doing.

LakeRat
6/6/2011, 12:26 PM
Bomar got his b/c he was an OU athlete.

Broyles got his from a HS friend b/c he was a HS friend. Broyles was doing it before he got to OU.

To me that is the difference.

Sooner_Tuf
6/6/2011, 12:56 PM
What Bomar and Quinn did was an NCAA violation. It is also criminal although it wasn't prosecuted. Stoops probably could have kept them but it would been a never ending situation. He did the right thing by breaking free from them and Big Red.

What Broyles did was a crime. Nobody knows how long it went on for. The gas station did not give Broyles the key or the codes because they never had them. Those had to come the gasoline supplier. Broyles knew someone or had a relative or knew someone that had a relative that worked for the gas supplier. Broyles was smart enough to know the cops and the DA are not your friend. He never told them anything. All they could charge him with was the thirty or forty dollars worth of fuel he took when they caught him.

There may have been more, probably was, but he never admitted it and nobody could prove it. He never told who gave him the key and the codes. While it was a crime there was no NCAA violation. OU reported it and the NCAA said it was not a violation.