PDA

View Full Version : Trey Metoyer

Always_Sooner
6/5/2011, 09:53 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/720663-college-football-rankings-2011-5-potential-breakout-true-freshman-recievers/page/4

Anyone know if he will end up qualifying? I wonder if no news is good news at this point?

Widescreen
6/5/2011, 10:08 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153805

Always_Sooner
6/6/2011, 03:47 AM
I read multiple posts that contradict each other. Hopefully it all works out.

PLaw
6/6/2011, 07:54 AM
The Oklahoman is reporting this morning that Metoyer will not be reporting for summer workouts this week because he is still trying to raise his standardized test scores. Looks like this recruit may be a miss.

Bummer

soonerloyal
6/6/2011, 09:01 AM
What are the NCAA guidelines for tutoring? Has he been tested for learning disabilities, etc.? Is he unable to stay on task? Does he simply have one, maybe two areas in which he's having trouble, or is it bigger than that?

It just makes me ill that we have ANY developmentally "normal" young adults who cannot meet minimum academic standards. No student in our country should get through over a decade in educational settings without every area of concern being identified and addressed.

Plus, I NEVER gave a "pass" to any student who did not prove to me they knew the subject. Period.

NormanPride
6/6/2011, 10:03 AM
Wasn't he on the honor roll? I think it's that he just sucks at those tests.

LakeRat
6/6/2011, 11:24 AM

Senior year, second semester, in a no child left behind world. . . I was an honor roll student.

KantoSooner
6/6/2011, 12:06 PM

Didn't you get the memo? There is no such thing as being a bad test taker. As so many stepped forward to inform me, it's smply a matter of willpower and discipline.

SoonerRed
6/6/2011, 12:13 PM
:D

NormanPride
6/6/2011, 01:14 PM
As a GOOD test taker, I know it's very easy to be a bad test taker.

OUTrumpet
6/6/2011, 02:03 PM
The scale for getting into a div 1 college seems laughable. We have this chart posted in the locker room at school so the athletes know exactly what they need to do.

http://www.hempfieldsd.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=xpIWp56iaDk%3d&tabid=956

If you are truely an honor roll student (3.5+) you need a 400 combined score on the SAT. You get that pretty much for showing up.

For a 2.0, you need a 1010 combined score. Keep in mind that's about a little over 50% for both sections.

OK2U
6/6/2011, 04:47 PM
Metoyer still working to get qualified
Five-star wideout Trey Metoyer won't be one of the freshmen to report for summer camp this week. Metoyer is still working to qualify and won't be able to enroll until he raises his standardized test.
Metoyer, rated the No. 1 wideout in the nation by Scout.com, is one of the highest-rated players to commit to OU in the Bob Stoops era.

Read more: http://newsok.com/sooners-will-move-on-without-austin-box-in-time/article/3574590#ixzz1OXEB2CIM
bb

rekamrettuB
6/6/2011, 04:50 PM
Those tests are racially biased.

yankee
6/6/2011, 06:05 PM
As good of a receiver as he may be, if he can't pass the SAT's/ACT's, then that is just sad.

DarrellZero
6/6/2011, 06:50 PM
As good of a receiver as he may be, if he can't pass the SAT's/ACT's, then that is just sad.

Agreed.

C'mon Trent, even Vince Young managed to qualify, and he's as dumb as soup.

bixby28
6/6/2011, 07:09 PM
Those tests are racially biased.

Why? Is this the reason you claim Metoyer has struggled ?

goingoneight
6/6/2011, 08:05 PM
I used to claim I was a "bad test taker."

Then, I quit chasing tail and smoking pot all the time and found out I could pass tests I needed to pass. He's not going into brain surgery with a butter knife and some whiskey here. Look how many thousands of kids easily make their way to CFB teams. If he wants to be here, he'll make it happen... or he'll be another Chris Patterson-type (I think that was his name).

EatLeadCommie
6/7/2011, 07:08 AM

Then, I quit chasing tail and smoking pot all the time and found out I could pass tests I needed to pass. He's not going into brain surgery with a butter knife and some whiskey here. Look how many thousands of kids easily make their way to CFB teams. If he wants to be here, he'll make it happen... or he'll be another Chris Patterson-type (I think that was his name).

^^this

NOVSooner
6/7/2011, 07:45 AM
C'mon Trent, even Vince Young managed to qualify, and he's as dumb as soup.

Crap, this is just funny. I may have to make this my new sig...

JLEW1818
6/7/2011, 08:21 AM
how can anyone not manage a "B" average in high school?

SoCaliSooner
6/7/2011, 08:50 AM
If the dude can't get in school, I wonset how he is going to stay eligible...

The Profit
6/7/2011, 10:37 AM
Once a recruit is in school, they have tutors and study sessions that insure they will remain eligible. Sure, there are some, who refuse to attend, but they are soon gone.

mavsfan31
6/7/2011, 10:39 AM
Yeah for sure. It would be hard to screw up unless you really don't care.

rekamrettuB
6/7/2011, 11:11 AM
Why? Is this the reason you claim Metoyer has struggled ?

No...it's the reason I claim when I stuggle.

Seamus
6/7/2011, 11:48 AM

Then, I quit chasing tail and smoking pot all the time and found out I could pass tests I needed to pass.

Can you hook an Irish brother up, mate? :D

badger
6/14/2011, 01:03 PM
Update on Trey here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110614_92_0_TreyMe609172)

SoonerofAlabama
6/14/2011, 01:05 PM
So he enrolled in the Junior College to get his ACT up?

badger
6/14/2011, 01:09 PM
So he enrolled in the Junior College to get his ACT up?

the linked article says he needs to get his gpa up I guess. unless OU has changed its enrollment standards, I think it's an "or" not an "and" as far as the minimum standards so you can have a 25 on your ACT or a 3.5 gpa or a 1200 on your SAT something like that, not sure what the standards are now.

EDIT: Current OU admission standards are here. (http://www.ou.edu/admissions/home/requirements/undergraduate/freshman_admission.html)

Muno
6/14/2011, 02:05 PM
the linked article says he needs to get his gpa up I guess. unless OU has changed its enrollment standards, I think it's an "or" not an "and" as far as the minimum standards so you can have a 25 on your ACT or a 3.5 gpa or a 1200 on your SAT something like that, not sure what the standards are now.

EDIT: Current OU admission standards are here. (http://www.ou.edu/admissions/home/requirements/undergraduate/freshman_admission.html)

Athletes are not subject to the general admission standards. They are subject to the NCAA minimum standards which are based on a sliding scale (I think it starts with a minimum 17 or 18 on the ACT). The higher your GPA in high school the lower your ACT score can be and the lower your GPA the higher your ACT scores need to be. It is my understanding he is still waiting on his recent ACT scores so this tells me that they don't think his ACT scores will improve much which means he is trying to get his GPA up or he is close enough that if he can get his GPA up a few points by taking summer school then his recent ACT score won't matter (in other words his old ACT scores are good enough if he can get his GPA up a little).

Sooner_Tuf
6/14/2011, 02:31 PM
Come on Trey, You can do it!

_rAHnwWfsaY

roy22forheisman
6/14/2011, 05:49 PM
The Oklahoman is reporting this morning that Metoyer will not be reporting for summer workouts this week because he is still trying to raise his standardized test scores. Looks like this recruit may be a miss.

Bummer

stop bieng so negative!!!!!

sooner59
6/14/2011, 06:38 PM
Transferring to the University of Oklahoma

Defined by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, transfer students are undergraduate students who have attended an accredited college or university and have attempted more than six semester hours, excluding remedial (pre-college) work or credit hours accumulated as a concurrently-enrolled high school student.
University Admission Requirements for Transfer Students
Performance Requirements
Degree College
(determined by your program) Transfer GPA Requirement
less than 60 hours attempted more than 60 hours attempted
Academic Affairs 2.50 2.00
College of Architecture 2.50 2.50
College of Arts and Sciences 2.50 2.00
College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences 2.50 2.50
Michael F. Price College of Business 2.50 2.50
College of Continuing Education / Aviation 2.50 2.25
Mewbourne College of Earth and Energy 2.50 2.50
Jeannine Rainbolt College of Education 2.75 2.75
College of Engineering (Oklahoma resident) 2.50 2.00
College of Engineering (Non-resident) 3.00 3.00
Weitzenhoffer Family College of Fine Arts 2.50 2.50
Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication 2.75 2.75
College of Liberal Studies* 2.50 2.00
*Students may apply for this program through the College of Continuing Education or the OU-Tulsa Admissions Offices only.
University College
Health Professions Majors 2.50 2.50
Undecided Majors
w/less than 45 hours 2.50 N/A
Students with declared majors who have less than 24 hours Must meet the GPA required for the major college N/A
Undergraduate Special Students 2.50 2.00

http://www.ou.edu/content/admissions/home/requirements/undergraduate/transfer_admission.html

So if Metoyer is taking a few classes over the summer, it sounds as if ACT wasn't the only thing holding him back. Sounds like his grades weren't up to par. But it sounds like if he takes over 6 hours and makes at least a 2.5 GPA, then he can transfer as long as he meets the ACT minimum for athletes...or GPA minimum. Hell I don't know. All I know is it shouldn't be that hard. I don't know how someone couldn't score a 17 or 18. I took it as a freshmen in high school and got a 22, and I'm not even all that smart.

sooner59
6/14/2011, 07:17 PM
Ok, so I looked it up. The absolute minimum ACT score is a 68 total (composite of 17), and it applies to students with at least a 2.50+ GPA. The absolute minimum GPA is 2.00, and it applies to those with at least an 86 total ACT score (21.5 composite). It does go off of a sliding scale like someone previously mentioned, which can be found on the NCAA website or more easily by googling it like I did to get me to the NCAA page its on (PDF format).

If what has been said is true Metoyer is struggling with his ACT score, it may be because his score wasn't too low for minimum requirements (17 composite), but too low as a minimum for his GPA. I haven't found how taking college credits over the summer helps, but if they are pretty positive he will be here in the fall, it could be that those summer credits add to his overall GPA somehow.

sooner59
6/14/2011, 07:31 PM
Cool. I keep finding new things.

Transfer Rules

Division I student-athletes interested in transferring to another four-year college or university and student-athletes at two-year colleges interested in attending a four-year school should be aware of the rules that govern the transfer process.

* Eligibility: Transfers from two-year colleges must have their academic and amateur status certified, just as incoming freshmen do.
* Permission to contact: Most transfers from four-year college or university to four-year college or university require a “permission-to-contact” letter from the current school’s athletics director to the new school’s coach or administrator. The new school cannot contact the student-athlete until the current school agrees to the contact. If the current school does not agree, the student-athlete can appeal.
* Five-year clock: Division I student-athletes have five calendar years from the first enrollment at a two- or four-year school to compete four seasons of competition.
* Academic year in residence: Research shows that student-athletes who remain at one college or university throughout their academic careers graduate at higher rates than those who transfer. To encourage an academic focus, the NCAA requires Division I student-athletes who transfer from a two-year school and do not meet transfer requirements or transfer from one four-year school to another four-year school to spend one academic year in residence before being eligible to play There are exceptions to the rule:
o If the student-athlete has never transferred before from a four-year school and meets academic requirements, that student-athlete might be able to use the one-time transfer exception (except in baseball, basketball, men’s ice hockey or football).
o If the first school dropped the sport of the affected student-athlete
o If the student-athlete never has been recruited, received an athletics scholarship or practiced beyond a 14-consecutive day period at any school or participated in competition before transferring
o If the student-athlete returns to the first school without participating at the second school
o If the student-athlete did not practice or play in his or her sport for two years

So it sounds to me like Metoyer may be able to get around the minimum requirements for an incoming freshmen by becoming a transfer student from a 2-year college. According to the NCAA, even if he does not meet transfer requirements, he could get an exception because he was never recruited there, received a scholarship, or practiced or played football there. Sounds like all he needs to do is pass his classes so that he actually has college credit, and since he is taking a couple classes over the summer, that would be full-time status as well.

I could be totally wrong, but if this is what they are doing, its genius. At least to get him in and be able to tutor him and get him doing better academically.

picasso
6/15/2011, 09:12 AM
All the news I've heard this week on the radio is that it looks like he'll make it.

texaspokieokie
6/15/2011, 09:21 AM
people on this board are more concerned than Metoyer.

sooner59
6/15/2011, 09:34 AM
I actually forgot he existed until I saw this thread. :O

I was really more interested in finally understanding what the terms were for qualifying as an athlete.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/16/2011, 12:33 AM
people on this board are more concerned than Metoyer.

Lmao I know. This board should be my academic support throughout the semester. when I kick *** on my test tomorrow, I'll take a pic and post it so everyone can print it off and hang it on their fridge.

stoopified
6/16/2011, 10:03 AM
Good luck Trey

Soonermagik
6/16/2011, 10:33 AM
Lmao I know. This board should be my academic support throughout the semester. when I kick *** on my test tomorrow, I'll take a pic and post it so everyone can print it off and hang it on their fridge.

Can you run like a gazelle and catch like Randy Moss? If so, I will personally walk you to class. ;)