PDA

View Full Version : Computer Hardware gurus... what processor/motherboard/memory do I need?

landrun
6/4/2011, 10:14 PM
OK.. I want to build a pc.

Basically, what I want is a decent PC that I can use for virtualization.
I'd like to use vmware, or ms Virtual PC etc... to create a few virtual machines for the network here at the house. I's use windows server 2008 and then have a db server with ms SQL server and a few other machines for the wife and kids to log into, etc...

I understand only certain processors will allow for this and I'm guessing I'd have to get a matching motherboard and memory for this. I don't know what to look for in the processor. I was looking at a quad core processor like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211 but don't know how to tell if it supports virtualization or not.

Then, how do you know what memory and motherboard will go with this processor etc..

Just looking for some tips/info from those who do this sort of thing.

Thanks...

Partial Qualifier
6/4/2011, 11:21 PM
Any CPU will run vmware or virtual PC. How many virtual machines (or 'guests') you can run is just a matter of horsepower. What's more important, especially if one of your VM's will run SQL Server, is RAM.

That CPU is fine, definitely go with 64-bit Windows, and get as much RAM as you can cram in whatever motherboard you decide on.

Xunil
6/5/2011, 11:23 AM
Get as much memory as you can.. That's easily the #1 resource constraint. Also, if you're going to do DB stuff and can afford them, use SAS or even SSD and stay away from SATA drives except for archive.

GrapevineSooner
6/5/2011, 12:29 PM
Thirds on the 'cram as much RAM in it as you can' camp.

I use VMWare when I'm working from home to get around my company's firewall. I have 2 GB of RAM in my machine and it's barely enough.

Turd_Ferguson
6/5/2011, 12:41 PM
I'd get at least a 1 yottabyte hard drive and a petabyte of RAM. That should work for ya.