PDA

View Full Version : let canning season begin!

ouwino
6/4/2011, 03:20 PM
my wife and i just started 20 pounds of fresh cabbage fermenting. should make some good kraut in a month or so. nothing better with a beer than a grilled brat with kraut on it. !!!

anyone else on here like to garden and can your harvests???

pphilfran
6/4/2011, 03:23 PM
Not I...my parents did...a lost art...

ouwino
6/4/2011, 03:27 PM

i agree. to bad too. there is nothing like enjoying the foods you canned and prepared all year long. my wife makes and cans salsa, spaghetti sauce, bbq sauce, green beans, pickles (bread and butter and dill) sometimes we put a couple jalapenos in the jar to spice them up a bit... also, we always freeze our corn and have corn on the cob all year long. dang good stuff.

this year i hope to try something new (for me) and roast some pablanos and can them. that way we can use them all year long.

pphilfran
6/4/2011, 03:38 PM
Good luck and have fun!

texaspokieokie
6/4/2011, 06:05 PM

My Mother did, during WWII.

FirstAndGoalOU
6/4/2011, 07:16 PM
My grandmother did this, I have never attempted, but always wanted to.
She and my Grandfather lived on a Ranch/ Farm in eastern Okla.,
Our family was large, 7 aunts and 1 uncle from their side.
My cousins could field 2 football teams, Myself being more of the city boy, Playing sports, riding my motorcycle, hanging out with my friends.
Well one summer I was introduced into "the country life", Bailing hay, barns etc, cows, horses, chickens and pigs.
Was given my first 22, and 410...greatest time of my life.

My country memories will be with me forever.
I remember her canned pickles to this day,
http://www.swcd.mo.gov/grundy/images/CannedPickles.jpg

also her, deserts all made from scratch.
http://www.delish.com/cm/goodhousekeeping/images/apple-pie-ice-cream-1007-de.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_k-SyOVPkiDY/S00dehg2C9I/AAAAAAAACCM/mQuWiF6Xq9A/s400/DSCF0708.JPG

Kind of like this, but multiply by 2 or 3.
http://memoriesfromgrandmaskitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/annette-thanksgiving1.jpg

Sooner_Tuf
6/4/2011, 10:07 PM
I love to garden. I never canned anything myself but most of the women in my family did. I still know a few gals that do. Anymore it's about as cheap to buy stuff as it is to can. Everything is so high now and it can be hard to find lids etc.

It's really hard to buy canned veggies from the store that as are as good as home canned though. I have never had a great store bought pickle. Sand Plum Jelly is another thing. You seldom see it in the store and when you it's a major letdown. Few things better than Sand Plum Jelly or Plum Butter.

salth2o
6/4/2011, 11:40 PM
We have a good garden, but I have never canned anything. We either eat it or give it away. However, this year i am thinking about putting up some maters and okra.

C&CDean
6/5/2011, 07:10 AM
Momma cans all sorts of ****. She's got about 25 lbs. of beets she's gonna pickle/can today. She cans tomatoes, tomato sauce, okra, pickles, carrots/onions/peppers (like the relish you get at a Mexican joint), peaches, jalapenos, habaneros, and jellies/jams.

The chili we serve at the tailgates is made with tomatoes/tomato sauce, onions, and peppers from the garden. The meat is either deer or elk. The only thing store-bought is the beans, chili powder, salt/pepper/spices.

C&CDean
6/5/2011, 07:11 AM
Oh yeah, I'm going to enjoy our first tomato from her garden this morning with breakfast. A nice lemon boy (yellow).

olevetonahill
6/5/2011, 11:27 AM
Had my mater plants set out for 2 months now and Noy a green one to be seen.
I dont start seeing some maters soon Ima yank em out by the roots and say to hell with it.

ouwino
6/5/2011, 12:17 PM
I dont start seeing some maters soon Ima yank em out by the roots and say to hell with it.
i dont plant my mators until mothers day. try to avoid the cold and late frost.

soonercruiser
6/5/2011, 01:20 PM

Heard the wimen talking on the garden show Saturday afternoon.

The graduate said, "the 55, 75, 95 rule applies.
If nights temps are below 55, or above 75, tomato blooms won't "set".

When daytime temps go consistently above 95, samo.

The comment was, it's a wonder we can grow tomatos at all in Oklahoma.

The other note was about having enough winds to blow pollen from one bloom into another to pollenate. If there has not been much wind, she suggested gently shaking the plants with blooms on them.

C&CDean
6/5/2011, 06:43 PM
I didn't get to eat that yellow tomatofor breakfast. Me and momma just split it for an appetizer. It was the ****ing bomb. Every tomato plant out there has tomatoes on it, and the cherry tomatoes/grape tomatoes are ****ing loaded. We've got yellow and red bell peppers about the size of golf balls, and jalapenos about the size of Outland Trophy's dick.

olevetonahill
6/5/2011, 07:41 PM
Heh, hadnt been out there in a coupla days. But theres a brazillion little maters now. Ima thinkin all that rain we got for over 3 weeks set em back a bunch .