PDA

View Full Version : way early who to root for? Ore/lsu

ouwasp
6/4/2011, 10:51 AM
So I'm looking thru Athlon's, the ducks are #3, les' team is #8. They play 9/3 in Dallas. Like any good Sooner fan I despise both teams, for the usual reasons.

But I think I'm gonna hafta go with the ducks. No way lsu oughta get another shot at the MNC in New Orleans!

When does Phil Steele's mag come out?

bixby28
6/4/2011, 10:55 AM
This is a huge game. I don't know which way to go, honestly, but if I had to pick right now... Oregon.

They've got a dangerous freakin offense and I just don't think LSU is going to be able to win this game while hiding their mediocre quarterback.

24-13 Ducks.

JLEW1818
6/4/2011, 11:01 AM
very easy

you have to go for Oregon

the national title is is New Orleans this year

the end

tcrb
6/4/2011, 11:13 AM
very easy

the end

Have to agree with this logic. lsu fans are just too obnoxious when they win anything. And living here in Houston, if lsu won I'd have to listen to all the Katrina refugees crow about the "*** whoopin" they put on the ducks.

SoonerMarkVA
6/4/2011, 11:18 AM
Other than The Incident, I'm generally favorable toward Oregon. I detest Les, plus factoring in the NC location, this is an easy call. Ducks need to win.

SoonerofAlabama
6/4/2011, 11:25 AM
I am rooting for Oregon. I think it will be tough. It is a good, not great, defense now that they lost some players and there offense is not very good. Oregon escapes in a close battle, anyways though.

17-16 Oregon

ouwasp
6/4/2011, 11:35 AM
I don't know. Yeah, lsu needs to lose. But in these sorts of games the team I "want/need" to win usually ends up losing. And it seems like :les: has the mojo to pull games like this out...

So I think I "need" to "want" to want lsu to win... make sense? :confused: But maybe it's too late... but this is an early thread! :gary:

This offseason will seem eternal by late July.

yermom
6/4/2011, 11:37 AM
Go Ducks!

Dixon your mouth!

BoulderSooner79
6/4/2011, 11:38 AM
My 70 year old parents went to the title game against LSU and were harassed by drunken LSU fans. JLEW speaks the truth. Besides, the duck "incident" was the refs' fault.

Unfortunately, my wallet tells me the Ducks lost too many key players on D.

yermom
6/4/2011, 11:43 AM
Duck fans were great in Eugene. we couldn't walk by a tailgate without getting offered brats or microbrews before the game.

oumartin
6/4/2011, 11:45 AM
I love Les Miles.

boomerinhou
6/4/2011, 11:58 AM
Going against the grain here. I'm pulling for LSU. I'm assuming LSU will lose at least one SEC game this year, which may knock them out of the title hunt. And if LSU beats the Ducks, each team will have at least one loss.

:cool:

JLEW1818
6/4/2011, 11:59 AM
Have to agree with this logic. lsu fans are just too obnoxious when they win anything. And living here in Houston, if lsu won I'd have to listen to all the Katrina refugees crow about the "*** whoopin" they put on the ducks.

i live in Kingwood

let's drink

BoulderSooner79
6/4/2011, 12:09 PM
Going against the grain here. I'm pulling for LSU. I'm assuming LSU will lose at least one SEC game this year, which may knock them out of the title hunt. And if LSU beats the Ducks, each team will have at least one loss.

You forget Les Miles dumb luck. Let's see, which is the only team to win the BCS title with *2* losses? I just hope his pact with whoever he made it has expired.

Penguin
6/4/2011, 12:24 PM

I agree. There are 5 teams on LSU's schedule that can beat them. Who will beat Oregon?

OULenexaman
6/4/2011, 12:27 PM
I love Les Miles. You should seek help...:eek:

SoonerofAlabama
6/4/2011, 12:46 PM
I agree. There are 5 teams on LSU's schedule that can beat them. Who will beat Oregon?

There are a few teams with a chance. I would have never thought that Cal-Oregon would have gone down to the wire like it did last year, but it did and Oregon almost gave TCU a chance for the title.

BoomerSooner3
6/4/2011, 12:53 PM
Go for Oregon, but LSU will likely win by 14+ and I would be shocked if they lose

agoo758
6/4/2011, 12:54 PM
I live in Lafayette, I'm stuck in the ******* of the LSU fan base body. Oregon by 40 please.

goingoneight
6/4/2011, 02:11 PM

2003 and 2007 called... LSU has two MNCs and three losses between the two seasons.

JLEW1818
6/4/2011, 02:26 PM
2003 and 2007 called... LSU has two MNCs and three losses between the two seasons.

but honestly it's hard to say they didn't deserve to be in both of those title games. and when they got handed the chance, they won.

goingoneight
6/4/2011, 02:39 PM
I'm pretty sure if we were handed the MNC in Tulsa or Oklahoma City, we'd win, too.

ouduckhunter
6/4/2011, 03:16 PM
F*ck the Ducks and all of their f*cking obnoxious fans! Go lsu!

I would love to see the quacks get beat big time on national tv. Then I won't have to listen to their fans, Espin, and all the local sports flakes love on them for the next millenium!

goingoneight
6/4/2011, 03:19 PM
Problem is, then Les Miles gambles, lucks out and cakewalks to a National Championship game in his own back yard while Oregon drops two or three they regularly shouldn't during the rest of the season.

It would be quite dandy to play and beat UO in Nawlins for the MNC while LSU fans had to stomach it and watch it. Win-win!

boomerinhou
6/4/2011, 03:22 PM
You forget Les Miles dumb luck. Let's see, which is the only team to win the BCS title with *2* losses? I just hope his pact with whoever he made it has expired.

You have a point there. You would think his dumb luck will run out. I'm in Houston and can pull in WWL out of New Orleans. The sports talk shows have constantly grilled him...even when he was winning. They wanted LSU to get rid of him. Then last year, they started warming up to him and finally gave hime some respect. It will be interesting to see if LSU has the talent this year to keep bailing him out.

:les:

goingoneight
6/4/2011, 03:30 PM
His luck will run out... look at how it happened to Stoops and Mack Brown just bam, all of a sudden. Difference is Stoops proved even with bad luck, he's still a great coach.

It will be amusing one of these days to see one of his bone-headed moves cost them a shot at if not THE National Championship. Like... he's playing 3-loss South Carolina... down three with a twelve seconds to go. In true :les: fashion, he opts for a fake field goal for the win and his holder gets intercepted for a South Carolina touchdown! #1 LSU loses an SEC title, the #1 ranking, and gets leap-frogged by someone else to play for the MNC. :D

BoulderSooner79
6/4/2011, 03:38 PM
His luck will run out... look at how it happened to Stoops and Mack Brown just bam, all of a sudden. Difference is Stoops proved even with bad luck, he's still a great coach.

It will be amusing one of these days to see one of his bone-headed moves cost them a shot at if not THE National Championship. Like... he's playing 3-loss South Carolina... down three with a twelve seconds to go. In true :les: fashion, he opts for a fake field goal for the win and his holder gets intercepted for a South Carolina touchdown! #1 LSU loses an SEC title, the #1 ranking, and gets leap-frogged by someone else to play for the MNC. :D

^This! That FG fake, over-the-shoulder lateral against the gators last year was classic "the Hat" luck. It was executed perfectly the year before, but was botched this time with the ball bouncing -- bouncing perfectly to the kicker and going for a 1st down and eventual score. If Stoops had tried that play, that ball would have bounced perfectly to the D's fastest guy for a fumble/TD the other way. And we probably would have gotten 2 guys hurt trying to make the tackle for good measure. LSU already has 1 giant piece of luck going into the season with the title game location. Hope it's downhill from here for them.

goingoneight
6/4/2011, 03:45 PM
I know one thing... I bet Michigan wishes they had shelled out Saban-like cash for Lester's luck the last three years. :D

pappy
6/4/2011, 07:57 PM
Gotta go with oregon...I despise the sec and lsu. Plus the national title is in Louisiana and I want all sec teams to lose non-conference games this year. Won't happen since most of them play cupcakes in the non-con.

I don't want an sec school to get into the national title game at all I'm sick of their streak.

Wayne Jarvis
6/4/2011, 08:17 PM
I hope Oregon wins because the refs screw over LSU.

And then Oregon loses to Arizona.

mightysooner
6/4/2011, 09:41 PM
A loss by either team won't knock them out of the title game necessarily so I don't care given my hatred for both programs.

SapulpaSooner
6/4/2011, 09:49 PM
just sit back and enjoy this one. hope it is a good game

Salt City Sooner
6/4/2011, 10:59 PM
Gotta go with oregon...I despise the sec and lsu. Plus the national title is in Louisiana and I want all sec teams to lose non-conference games this year. Won't happen since most of them play cupcakes in the non-con.

I don't want an sec school to get into the national title game at all I'm sick of their streak.
I hate giving them any more praise than the media already does, but to their credit, most of them (esp. the upper tier teams) are playing at least 1 solid OOC game this year:

UF- plays FSU
UGA- plays Boise @ Atl.
UK- Meh.
USCe- solid, but nothing uber-tough. Navy's decent; 2 other mid-tier bowl teams (Clemson & ECU)
Tenn- Just Cincy this year. Can't bag on them too much though, they're one of the SEC's best annually when it comes to OOC's
Vandy- See UK

West-
Bama- @ Penn St.
Ark- A&M @ Jerryworld
Aub- @ Clemson
Miss. St.- See UK & Vandy
LSU- Oregon @ Jerryworld; @ West Virginia (hands down best OOC slate in the conference, IMO)
Ole Miss- BYU, @ Fresno St.

SoonerofAlabama
6/4/2011, 11:06 PM
I didn't even think of LSU's schedule. It is tough, though. Hard not to see one L on that list for LSU. You can't really blame Vandy for making their schedule easy. They are just hoping to get through the season. At least they play UConn, that is something. Miss. St.'s toughest non-con. game is UAB, just awful. And UK plays Louisville, which might be a good game.

SoonerRed
6/6/2011, 12:20 PM
Oregon

Bourbon St Sooner
6/6/2011, 12:31 PM
I always root against lsu for obvious reasons.

But I have to admit that lately, when I'm raping myself, the mind image I use for inspiration is of OU ending the 2011 season by beating lsu in the Superdome for the title. Yes! Yes!

LVSOONER15
6/6/2011, 12:34 PM
I'm going with UO as well. I can't stand lsu.

Cornfed
6/6/2011, 01:07 PM
Just like for Texass I hate the SEC to win at anything.

TUSKtimes
6/6/2011, 01:55 PM
Back to back SEC losses for the quackers. Ironically, both could cost them the NC. I appreciate a fast team, but I respect a big, fast team, even more.

JLEW1818
6/6/2011, 02:09 PM
for some reason the SEC does not bother me like the pac10 does

the pac10/12 is just gay

101sooner
6/6/2011, 02:12 PM
Oregon.

JLEW1818
6/6/2011, 02:13 PM
i would like Oregon to win, like i said in my previous post

but i generally make a lot of money betting on SEC teams in out of conference games

badger
6/6/2011, 02:19 PM
It's great that both teams would meet early like that. I know Oregano usually meets top non-conf talent, but LSU usually like to meet their little sister schools of Louisiana... you know, the Monroes, the LaLas, the Tulanes :rolleyes:

But get this --- they actually have TWO name non-conference opponents. They also traveled to West Virginia this upcoming season.

So, I think LSU will have a loss in them this season, even if not to Oregon. So selfishly, gi-ox tigers (geaux tigers pronounced phonetically to those of you that didn't get my joke). Unselfishly, I still respect Chip Kelly for suspending his punchy player even when stupid Boise State didn't in that incident a few years back, so it'd be nice to see the almighty SEC dethroned early on.

TUSKtimes
6/6/2011, 03:48 PM
It's great that both teams would meet early like that. I know Oregano usually meets top non-conf talent, but LSU usually like to meet their little sister schools of Louisiana... you know, the Monroes, the LaLas, the Tulanes :rolleyes:

But get this --- they actually have TWO name non-conference opponents. They also traveled to West Virginia this upcoming season.

So, I think LSU will have a loss in them this season, even if not to Oregon. So selfishly, gi-ox tigers (geaux tigers pronounced phonetically to those of you that didn't get my joke). Unselfishly, I still respect Chip Kelly for suspending his punchy player even when stupid Boise State didn't in that incident a few years back, so it'd be nice to see the almighty SEC dethroned early on.

Frankly any huge OOC games these days are more than an eye opener. LSU opened against North Carolina and played West Virginia last season. For Alabama, playing Clemson, Virginia Tech, Penn St, makes no difference, no one should hold their breath, waiting for the SEC to be eliminated early. Yea, we talk about that early trip to Tallahassee, too.

I give all the BCS boys credit for even one fair fight these days, out of conference.

ouwasp
8/28/2011, 11:49 PM
bump.....now it's not too early to ponder this game... and there have been a few plot twists in the last week...

Now I may be leaning to want lsu to win; I figure they'll get beat within the SEC to keep them away from NO on MNC night. And this may be Oregon's best chance at getting beaten during the reg season.

I hate for either team to win, kinda like tex/osu.

SOFSooner
8/29/2011, 01:08 AM
Lets be neutral and root for the referees to get calls right this time.

Mike Stoops
8/29/2011, 01:27 AM
How can any OU fan root for LSU in anything?

hawaii 5-0
8/29/2011, 01:44 AM
How can any OU fan root for LSU in anything?

Ya got that right. I barely liked them when they had Saban. It just went South.

5-0

sendbaht
8/29/2011, 03:09 AM
very easy

the end I Agree!!

Okie35
8/29/2011, 03:10 AM
I don't care who wins but I think Oregon will.

the-rover
8/29/2011, 05:25 AM
I hope they both lose

KantoSooner
8/29/2011, 10:27 AM
I am hoping a giant whirlpool opens beneath Jerry World and sucks both teams, the stadium and their fans down to a fate unknown. But permanent. As in we won't know what happened, but they'll all be gone. Forever.

And it could work out well for them. They might end up in a nice place.

But probably not.

SoonerAtKU
8/29/2011, 11:06 AM
I root for the meteor/earthquake/air-show-disaster that takes out the stadium.

Of course, with that said, if there were an actual disaster, I'd feel like a real horse's patoot.

BoulderSooner79
8/29/2011, 11:18 AM
My answer hasn't changed - go Ducks. Things seem to work out for the Hat and that's not a good thing with the title game where it is. Lee will probably turn out to be the best QB in the conference and losing Jefferson will be a big blessing - that's just the way things go for Lester.

LVSOONER15
8/29/2011, 11:18 AM
I am gonna have go for the quacks. Les don't deserve to win anything, plus I think the quacks offense is to fast.

ouwasp
8/29/2011, 11:40 AM
Look, I hold both programs in as much disdain as any Sooner fan. The fact is, OU may be fighting for that #2 slot when the MNC game rolls around. So the other contenders need to lose, obviously...

I'm thinking Oregon is less likely to lose other games as compared to LSU. Yeah, I know Les has that crazy mad-hatter luck in his corner. Even losing two games didn't keep them outta the mnc game that one year, '07 I think...

Shoot, I'm not sure which way to lean now. Maybe a containable Zombie Apocalypse will break out in Jerry World this Saturday, consuming both teams and much of the LSU fanbase...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/29/2011, 11:43 AM
Few teams on Ducks schedule have much of a chance to beat them. LSU has many tough opponents. Gotta want the Tigerbaits to win over the Ducks. Likely an SEC team will be in the finals. I want the other team to be OU , not UO.

8/29/2011, 12:03 PM
I agree. There are 5 teams on LSU's schedule that can beat them. Who will beat Oregon?Maybe your best post, evar!

3rdgensooner
8/29/2011, 12:35 PM
very easy

the end

I can't root for LSeaux.

Won't necessarily root for OR either, but never for LSU. Well maybe if they were playing Texas.

ouduckhunter
8/29/2011, 01:01 PM
Hate both teams, but really, really hate the Quacks! I agree with other posters that this may be the only game standing between the Quacks and playing in the National Championship, so gotta cheer for lsu! The thought of spending yet another football season out here in Quack land with the potential for them to go all the way really makes me heave, and I'm not even drinking!

8/29/2011, 01:19 PM
Hate both teams, but really, really hate the Quacks! I agree with other posters that this may be the only game standing between the Quacks and playing in the National Championship, so gotta cheer for lsu! The thought of spending yet another football season out here in Quack land with the potential for them to go all the way really makes me heave, and I'm not even drinking!You GO, Leslie! Yay Tigerbaits! Geaux Geaux Geaux! a Duck Beatdown!

BigTip
8/29/2011, 01:32 PM
I hope that the game is an embarrassingly sloppy struggle with lsu scoring with 2 minutes left to get them within 2 points. Ensuing on-side kick is recovered by Ducks, but referees inexplicably award ball to lsu, that then goes on to score game winning field goal as time expires.

lsu will get beat by someone down the road to knock them out. Anyway, they have to be beaten later in the season, as they've been known to come back from early losses to still be in contention.

BoulderSooner79
8/29/2011, 01:36 PM
Hate both teams, but really, really hate the Quacks! I agree with other posters that this may be the only game standing between the Quacks and playing in the National Championship, so gotta cheer for lsu! The thought of spending yet another football season out here in Quack land with the potential for them to go all the way really makes me heave, and I'm not even drinking!

Seeing where you live, you are forgiven for being wrong :) :)

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
8/29/2011, 04:35 PM
Ok. I'll give in a bit.

Oregon beats LSU to knock them down.

Then Oregon slides off the West Coast into the Pacific and is swallowed up forever!

I will never forget that they are cheaters!

Football Jim
8/29/2011, 08:56 PM
Time to temporarily return to the tie game era, just for this one. I hate em both!!!