PDA

View Full Version : STEP

CrimsonRez
6/4/2011, 01:02 AM
Who is expected to be in what position as far as the linebackers go? What do you think would be the best combo?

bixby28
6/4/2011, 01:21 AM
I'm not sure what will happen with the LB starters since Austin's passing (RIP). Wort seemed to have some consistency problems last season, but he showed that he can make big plays.

There are some young LBs on the roster. I would not be surprised to see one of them (outside of C. Nelson) step up and get major playing time.

Here's what I think could happen...

MLB - T. Lewis (only if Wort doesn't establish himself at MLB)
OLB - C. Nelson (if T. Lewis moves to MLB)
OLB - T. Jefferson (he's here to stay as a DB/LB )

CrimsonRez
6/4/2011, 01:57 AM
If Wort gets better in pass coverage I think he'll be solid at MLB he can stop the run pretty well but gets caught out of position by over pursuing. I agree if he doesn't get the job done they will move T.Lewis over. I like keeping T. Jefferson at Safety just because I think we need a solid tackler back there. I just think it will be more important to keep our experienced DB's at DB and not try to facilitate the linebackers with them (unless absolutely needed).

bixby28
6/4/2011, 02:06 AM
If Wort gets better in pass coverage I think he'll be solid at MLB he can stop the run pretty well but gets caught out of position by over pursuing. I agree if he doesn't get the job done they will move T.Lewis over. I like keeping T. Jefferson at Safety just because I think we need a solid tackler back there. I just think it will be more important to keep our experienced DB's at DB and not try to facilitate the linebackers with them (unless absolutely needed).

That's how I feel about the secondary, as well.

Wort is a guy that I think will turn the corner as a LB. He's a sophomore and should be noticeably better after playing as much as he did in '10. If he can claim the MLB from the start, then the LBs will be a fun group to watch.

Muno
6/4/2011, 08:33 AM
I don't think you'll see Jefferson at OLB except on obvious passing situations so they can get another DB/Safety on the field. I agree that Wort will anchor the middle and if he can't get it done we will see Lewis at MLB a lot.

SoonerofAlabama
6/4/2011, 10:14 AM
I believe Wort will be a solid MLB, but I think that we will have to make a change at some point to put our best players out there. I say that they move Travis Lewis to MLB and move Corey Nelson up the depth chart to the starter at OLB. Then I believe that Jefferson and Ibiloye will share time at OLB. It might not go this way though. Wort could become a great MLB, after all he was just a freshmen last year. Again, I think Coach Stoops will try to put the best players on the field.

JLEW1818
6/4/2011, 10:38 AM
T. Lewis
Wort
Nelson
Jefferson

those 4 guys will be on the field at the same time, many snaps

goingoneight
6/4/2011, 02:20 PM
I think Wort's only "problems" a year ago were coming back from a knee injury and being a first-year starter at a position that can really hurt you if you make rookie mistakes. There were plenty flashes of greatness from him. It was just plain and simple... when Austin Box got healthy enough to play, he was more experienced than Wort was. I think he'll be fine this year.

In a typical 3 LB group, I say Travis Lewis WLB, Tom Wort MLB and either Corey Nelson/Joseph Ibiloye/Tony Jefferson. Depends on the defense. Some plays, TJ could be another DB, some plays, they probably want a bigger, more physical guy like Nelson, some plays, they may want Ibiloye as a speed 'backer and Jefferson to help in pass coverage. Seems like the lineup solely revolves around where they want TJ.

Osama Bin Laden
6/4/2011, 04:07 PM
I don't know why everyone is sleeping on Ibiloye. He's not your prototypical LB, but he's been pretty damn solid in his role for a few years now. I can only imagine by now Venables having a real good feel how and when to use him. And he plays into what I think is the reason they have the chance to be great beyond just talent, their versatility and depth. Venables has a plethora of pieces he can mix and match for just about any situation. As for Wort, I'm still very skeptical. Although he improved, he was still way too out of control and inconsistent, and I'm not entirely confident one year will fix everything.

oudavid1
6/4/2011, 04:41 PM
MLB - Wort, Franklin
WLB - Lewis, Nelson
OLD/Roy - Jefferson, Iboloye

BoulderSooner79
6/4/2011, 04:53 PM
What's the status of Jaydan Bird? I remember BV was high on this guy when he came in as a FR and said he was the most college ready of the newcomers. Failure to launch?

goingoneight
6/4/2011, 06:25 PM
Sometimes, the more athletic guys pass the experienced guys when they catch up to things. Like Sam winning the starting QB role over Halzle in 2007. Heupel and Wilson both said Sam was NOT ready to play yet in 2006 when everyone was all scaredy about not having Bomar. I've seen Birdman out there a few times, but he hasn't really stood out as far as what he does out there.

oudavid1
6/4/2011, 07:54 PM
What's the status of Jaydan Bird? I remember BV was high on this guy when he came in as a FR and said he was the most college ready of the newcomers. Failure to launch?

Him and Franklin will battle for backup MLB