PDA

View Full Version : The movie "The 60's", a song I need help with?

OUinFLA
6/3/2011, 02:57 PM
I watched "The 60's" the other night.

I know, I know, it's only 12 years old, but I had not seen it.

Being as I was "aware" and in my young adulthood at that time, all of the show was a trip down memory lane for me.

I enjoyed hearing all the old songs they worked into the show, and remembered all of them, but not all by name or artist.

There was an acoustic guitar instrumental song that was played that is driving me nuts as I cant remember who did the song. It was a single guitar, rather hard driving song, and I think I even had the song on an album back then.

But.............I can't remember who performed the song !

I checked the songlist through google, but they just dont list all the songs played during the movie. The soundtrack album doesnt have half the songs played and this song is not on the soundtrack album.

Anyone have a list of all the music played in that movie, or an idea of the guitar instrumental that was played? It was about the only instrument song in the whole show. At least to the best of my aged recollection.

Help an old guy out?

Tulsa_Fireman
6/3/2011, 02:59 PM
x2NnnzhJ6nA

Is this it?

65Mustang
6/4/2011, 09:13 PM
Probably "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams.

yermom
6/4/2011, 09:16 PM
that would have been my guess

stoopified
6/4/2011, 10:35 PM
that would have been my guessMe too

OUinFLA
6/4/2011, 10:46 PM
nope, that is not it, I know that song.
thanks all for trying.

yermom
6/5/2011, 02:08 AM
SOR6p1o2hPI

?

OUinFLA
6/5/2011, 10:18 AM
nope.
Im going to get it figured out, I have a copy of the movie headed my way and hopefully there are full music credits at the end.

olevetonahill
6/5/2011, 10:51 AM
Who recorded it? Ill try to hep ya out.;)

Chuck Bao
6/5/2011, 10:54 AM
You can get a list of the soundtrack music for the film here.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169528/soundtrack

OUinFLA
6/5/2011, 12:15 PM
You can get a list of the soundtrack music for the film here.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169528/soundtrack

that list does not contain all the songs in the movie.
Thanks for trying to help.

Flagstaffsooner
6/5/2011, 12:29 PM
The Horse?

Sooner_Tuf
6/5/2011, 12:40 PM
I'm not musically inclined so I know even if you hummed a few bars I would be no help in locating the name of the song.

Was the movie any good? I think I would enjoy a good movie about the sixties. I have never seen one that was able to really capture all that was going on. Without a doubt the sixties was the most dynamic decade of my lifetime.

Chuck Bao
6/5/2011, 01:09 PM
that list does not contain all the songs in the movie.
Thanks for trying to help.

Then, the song wasn't listed in the film credits which would be odd.

Maybe, it was an original score. You can go to the main page of the film on the imdb website and see the credits for that.

OUinFLA
6/5/2011, 01:10 PM
I'm not musically inclined so I know even if you hummed a few bars I would be no help in locating the name of the song.

Was the movie any good? I think I would enjoy a good movie about the sixties. I have never seen one that was able to really capture all that was going on. Without a doubt the sixties was the most dynamic decade of my lifetime.

It was especially good if you lived through that decade.
The story line covers 2 seperate familes, one white from Chicago and one black from Mississippi.
The white family has 3 kids. Oldest joins the marines and goes to Nam. Middle goes to college and becomes a "peaceful" activist. the youngest girl gets pregnant and runs off to Calif and becomes involved in the hippy scene.
The kid in the black family sees his father try to peacefully help enact the Civil Rights program and eventually the young man finds his way into the Black Panthers.

That about covers all the activites a person in their 20's could encounter during that decade. Somewhere, you will find a way to identify with one or more of them.

The music is certainly a flashback in itself. There is lots of historical news footage in the storyline as it goes from 1961 to 1969. If you were at all aware of what was happening in our country at that time, it will bring lots of memories to your mind.

I was at OU in the mid 60's and I was of the age where all the events in the movie had some impact on my life.

As I explained it to my oldest friend, watch this movie, you either identify yourself during those times or you will identify many of your friends within the movie. It was an awesome decade, Im glad I survived it.

If I ever find out the name and artist of this song I can't identify, I will certainly post it here.

OUinFLA
6/5/2011, 01:18 PM
Then, the song wasn't listed in the film credits which would be odd.

Maybe, it was an original score. You can go to the main page of the film on the imdb website and see the credits for that.

Chuck: I have checked all the imdb listed songs and even went to Ituns and listened to some of the ones I wasn't certain of. The song in question is not listed on imdb. There were several songs in the movie that are not listed on imdb. Some I knew the name of are not on the list. I can't explain why.

I am certain I owned the album 40 years ago that the song was on, as I was very familer with it and remember listening to it in my apartment. Just old age is kicking me in the brain and I can't place the artist.

olevetonahill
6/5/2011, 01:36 PM
Well hell Ima trying to help ya, What was the name of the album?:D

OUinFLA
6/5/2011, 01:39 PM
Well hell Ima trying to help ya, What was the name of the album?:D

you need to watch the movie, you'll have a better understanding of why I can't remember everything. :D

If I knew the album, Id find the song.:rolleyes:

yermom
6/5/2011, 01:42 PM
What part of the movie?

I think it's on netflix :D

olevetonahill
6/5/2011, 01:52 PM
you need to watch the movie, you'll have a better understanding of why I can't remember everything. :D

If I knew the album, Id find the song.:rolleyes:

:P :D

OUinFLA
6/5/2011, 02:16 PM
What part of the movie?

I think it's on netflix :D

If I remember correctly, it is in the second half of the movie and I think it was one of the scenes from Nam.

Chuck Bao
6/5/2011, 02:21 PM
I am not doubting your word, OUinFLA, but a film cannot use a song without giving credit to the writer and artist, unless they contracted for and own the original score.

I guess it could be an older tune that has no copyright owner and the film producers contracted artists to play it.

I have never known imdb to not include all of the credits, but I imagine that they could and given the number of films covered probably do.

I do not know anything about this topic and I really shouldn't be commenting. I am just trying to help.

yermom
6/5/2011, 02:29 PM
it was a TV miniseries, i believe, so i don't think they do the credits the same way

but also, some movies have too many songs to fit a soundtrack. Dazed and Confused had to make another soundtrack CD later to add more of the songs

the songs were probably all in the credits though

and imdb was a wiki before wikis. it's user populated, so other people would have had to have heard it and put it there if it wasn't listed anywhere

Chuck Bao
6/5/2011, 02:51 PM
it was a TV miniseries, i believe, so i don't think they do the credits the same way

but also, some movies have too many songs to fit a soundtrack. Dazed and Confused had to make another soundtrack CD later to add more of the songs

the songs were probably all in the credits though

and imdb was a wiki before wikis. it's user populated, so other people would have had to have heard it and put it there if it wasn't listed anywhere

Thanks yermom. I didn't know that it was a TV miniseries and I didn't know that about imdb. Yeah, I shouldn't have commented on something I know nothing about. Mea culpa.

I would think that the producers must still include the credits at the end of each episode. Maybe download the episode and freeze frame at the end to capture the credits.

Good luck OUinFLA in finding the song.

yermom
6/5/2011, 02:52 PM
i don't know the rules, per se, but often you are left scrambling to find songs in TV shows, unless specifically mentioned, so i'm guessing they are different. they don't waste a lot of time for text on TV

OUinFLA
6/5/2011, 07:14 PM
i don't know the rules, per se, but often you are left scrambling to find songs in TV shows, unless specifically mentioned, so i'm guessing they are different. they don't waste a lot of time for text on TV

well, yeah, and then the shoot the credits down to a postage stamp size while they are advertising some other show that is coming up later. TV credits are the suc.

MsProudSooner2
6/5/2011, 07:42 PM
Isn't there an iPhone app that you can use to 'listen' to a song and it will tell you the name and artist?

yermom
6/5/2011, 07:48 PM
i haven't gotten around to watching it and either knowing it or Shazaming it :D

pphilfran
6/5/2011, 08:02 PM
Two different guys wrote original music for the series....

This first guy wrote with a Haight Ashbury mandolin type sound....

http://www.brianadlermusic.com/film%26televisioncredits.html

http://www.brianadlermusic.com/haight-ashbury.mp3

The second guy I got nuttin...only his web page...

http://www.jedfeuer.com/list-of-works/

65Mustang
6/5/2011, 09:14 PM
Well, an acoustic instrumental really narrows it down a lot...
While the 60's had a number of great songs that had lyrics and akso strong acoustic performances (Mrs Robinson, Eve of Destruction, Yesterday, etc), there were few true acoustic instrumentals, and almost none of which were big hits...

OUinFLA
6/5/2011, 09:24 PM
Well, an acoustic instrumental really narrows it down a lot...
While the 60's had a number of great songs with lyrics that also had strong acoustic performances (Mrs Robinson, Eve of Destruction, Yesterday, etc), there were few true acoustic instrumentals, and almost none which were big hits...

In my addled mind, I dont think the song was a "big" hit, I think it was a song on an album I had, but not the reason the album was recorded. It was not a rift from a vocal song, it was purely instrumental, strong solitary acoustic guitar. There is a lot of Bob Dylan and CS&N in the movie. I had several albums by both and wondering if that is where it came from?

Frustrating thing about old age.....................too many things have happened in your life to remember them all. You young people have it easy. Same amount of brain cells, not as much data to store. :D

65Mustang
6/5/2011, 09:30 PM
i grew up in the 60's, so i know all about old age:)

OUinFLA
6/5/2011, 09:39 PM
i grew up in the 60's, so i know all about old age:)

I hope your mind is more agile than mine. :)

SanJoaquinSooner
6/5/2011, 10:55 PM
I hope your mind is more agile than mine. :)

They say if we walk a mile or more each day, we'd remember stuff.

OUinFLA
6/5/2011, 10:56 PM
They say if we walk a mile or more each day, we'd remember stuff.

What if we forget where we're going?

The Profit
6/6/2011, 08:53 AM
Two different guys wrote original music for the series....

This first guy wrote with a Haight Ashbury mandolin type sound....

http://www.brianadlermusic.com/film%26televisioncredits.html

http://www.brianadlermusic.com/haight-ashbury.mp3

The second guy I got nuttin...only his web page...

http://www.jedfeuer.com/list-of-works/

That sounded much more like a Sitar than a mandolin.

pphilfran
6/6/2011, 10:24 AM
That sounded much more like a Sitar than a mandolin.

Evidently I don't know my instruments...

OUinFLA
6/9/2011, 01:27 PM
Well, I got the video today........................

Believe it or not.....

THERE ARE NO MUSIC CREDITS AT THE END OF THE MOVIE !!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I plan to watch it again tonight with my wife, perhaps she can remember who it is playing the song.

pphilfran
6/9/2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks a lot for leaving us hanging...

If you can't figure out the song you better record it and let us have a listen...

The Profit
6/9/2011, 01:33 PM
This soundtrack is available from Amazon.com
Please note that songs listed here (and in the movie credits) cannot always be found on CD soundtracks. Please check CD track details for confirmation.

"The Weight"
Written by Robbie Robertson
Performed by The Band

"Like A Rolling Stone"
Written and Performed by Bob Dylan

"Do You Believe in Magic"
Written by John Sebastian
Performed by The Lovin' Spoonful

"Can I Get A Witness"
Performed by Marvin Gaye

"Sunshine of Your Love"
Written by Jack Bruce, Pete Brown, and Eric Clapton
Performed by Cream

"Say It Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud"
Performed by James Brown

"Somebody to Love"
Written by Darby Slick
Performed by Jefferson Airplane

"For What It's Worth"
Written by Stephen Stills
Performed by Buffalo Springfield

"Soldier Boy"
Performed by The Shirelles

"The Tracks of My Tears"
Performed by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles

"A Whiter Shade of Pale"
Performed by Procol Harum

"Mr. Tamborine Man"
Performed by Bob Dylan

"Here Comes the Night"
Performed by Van Morrison

"I Want to Hold Your Hand"
Written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney
Performed by The Beatles

"My Girl"
Performed by 'The Temptations'

"Love Minus Zero"
Performed by Bob Dylan

"Time of the Season"
Written by Rod Argent
Performed by The Zombies

"Draft Morning"
Performed by The Byrds

"America"
Performed by Simon & Garfunkel (as Simon and Garfunkel)

"Volunteers"
Written by Marty Balin and Paul Kantner
Performed by Jefferson Airplane

"Nature's Way"
Performed by Spirit

"Feelin' Alright"
Written by Dave Mason
Performed by Traffic

"Chicago (We Can Change the World)"
Performed by Graham Nash

"Tuesday Afternoon"
Performed by The Moody Blues

"Five to One"
Written and Performed by The Doors

"Season of the Witch"
Performed by Donovan

"Chimes of Freedom"
Performed by Bob Dylan and Joan Osborne

"Don't Worry Baby"
Performed by The Beach Boys

"Peace Frog"
Written and Performed by The Doors

"Can't Find My Way Home"
Written and Performed by Steve Winwood

"High Hopes"
Performed by Frank Sinatra

"My Boyfriend's Back"
Performed by The Angels

"The Twist"
Performed by Chubby Checker

"Stand by Me"
Performed by Ben E. King

"Baby What You Want Me to Do"
Performed by Jimmy Reed

"The Times They Are A-Changing"
Written by Bob Dylan
Performed by The Byrds

"Bookends Theme"
Performed by Simon & Garfunkel (as Simon and Garfunkel)

"Heroin"
Written by Lou Reed
Performed by The Velvet Underground

"Jimmy Was"
Written and Performed by Daniel Lanois
Courtesy of Warner Special Products & Opal Music Inc./Upala Music Inc. (BMI)

"All Tomorrow's Parties"
Written by Lou Reed
Performed by Velvet Underground

"Comin' Into Los Angeles"
Written by Arlo Guthrie
Performed by Arlo Guthrie

hawaii 5-0
6/9/2011, 01:45 PM
Love Is Blue by Paul Mauriat was instrumental, harpsicordish.

Around 1970.

5-0

Trump/ Bach 2012

OUinFLA
6/9/2011, 02:17 PM
Thank you The Profit,
however, there are several songs in the movie not listed in that songlist.
Im going to rewatch the movie tonight and I'll count the songs.

I found that list you posted and listened to those songs via Itunes.
Not on the list ???

fadada1
6/9/2011, 02:30 PM
This reminds me of the "Married with Children" episode when Al was trying to figure out a tune from his youth. He only knew a couple notes from the melody. Maybe if you could hum the first few bars for us, OUinFLA, we could figure it out.

OUinFLA
6/9/2011, 03:11 PM
da-da-da-dah-dah-dah

did that help?

SanJoaquinSooner
6/9/2011, 03:32 PM
There needs to be a prize for this.

yermom
6/9/2011, 06:16 PM
This reminds me of the "Married with Children" episode when Al was trying to figure out a tune from his youth. He only knew a couple notes from the melody. Maybe if you could hum the first few bars for us, OUinFLA, we could figure it out.

hmm... hmm... him...

:D

OUinFLA
6/9/2011, 09:57 PM
Unbelievable, there are 62 different songs in this movie, not counting some short instrumentals that I think were just background. Most I could identify, or at least they had words I could google.

The guitar solo Im wanting the name of occurs at the 51 minute mark on the vhs tape copy.

Im as perplexed as I was the first time I watched it.

OUinFLA
4/3/2012, 07:19 AM
Well, after 10 months I finally found the name of the song I was seeking.

Embryonic Journey by Jefferson Airplane.

I happened to be watching the movie Walk On The Moon, another late 60's scenario.
That song happened to be used in that movie also. Found the name and artist by checking the soundtrack.

Another aggrivating memory loss puzzle has been filled in.
My life is better now.

Thanks to all for your efforts to help.

olevetonahill
4/3/2012, 07:46 AM
Hell Bro It aint Memory LOSS , so much as we need to Defrag:unconscious:

olevetonahill
4/3/2012, 07:47 AM
Oh and Here ya go .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IzoiqDaG4A

CobraKai
4/3/2012, 09:28 AM
Do you have an iPhone? If so, download SoundHound and you'll hopefully never have this problem again. It works incredibly well. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, it listens to about 10 seconds of a song then accurately identifies the artist, song, etc. It works amazingly well. I've yet to stump it. I even used it to identify the obnoxious instrumental hold music our company has always used for its conferencing. I then downloaded and made it a ring tone just to annoy people around the office.

OUinFLA
4/3/2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks Cobra, wish I had downloaded that a while back.
Hopefully the free version is adequate?

wow, just tried it out and it identified the song asap.

Thanks again

yermom
4/3/2012, 11:42 AM
i mentioned Shazam earlier. i didn't realize you had an iPhone. seems like you didn't when we were trying to figure this out last summer :)

OUinFLA
4/3/2012, 01:22 PM
this is correct, I did not have an Iphone last summer. Got it this winter.
Shazam does the same as SoundHound?

yermom
4/3/2012, 01:53 PM
I think SoundHound used to be called something else, but i can't remember now. i don't think they are exactly the same, but Shazam was first, i believe

yermom
4/3/2012, 01:54 PM
Midomi was the original name. it will try to identify from singing or humming a song. i never got that to work right though, so i always stuck with Shazam

CobraKai
4/4/2012, 11:02 AM
Midomi was indeed the original name. My kids used to love to "sing to Midomi" and see if it could guess their songs. That part worked OK, not great, but the song ID is fantastic. I think Shazam does basically the same thing. I think you are correct that Shazam was first. I think all of them use the GraceNote database, so I presume their accuracy is similar.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/13/2014, 01:08 AM
Well, after 10 months I finally found the name of the song I was seeking.

Embryonic Journey by Jefferson Airplane.

I happened to be watching the movie Walk On The Moon, another late 60's scenario.
That song happened to be used in that movie also. Found the name and artist by checking the soundtrack.

Another aggrivating memory loss puzzle has been filled in.
My life is better now.

Thanks to all for your efforts to help.I just stumbled onto this thread.are you much of an Airplane fan? I like a lot of their stuff, but Embryonic Journey isn't one I remember offhand, except for the name. I have a lot of their music, and even the earlier stuff by the Starship, and later with Paul and Grace on their own. Check out the Planet Earth Rock and Roll Orquestra album by Paul Kantner and Grace Slick, circa 1984. Lillith's Song is sheer music euphoria.(Grace sings on it, of course)I will youtube Embryonic Journey, to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbcMa3is-vw