PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Roundtable Discussion on ESPN

OUInformant
6/2/2011, 09:44 PM
Pretty good.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6620355&categoryid=2378529

bixby28
6/2/2011, 10:13 PM
I really agreed with everything said, except that OU's schedule (U. Meyer) is one of the most favorable schedules in the country. Thanks for posting, OUInf.

OU-HSV
6/2/2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the post. Interesting to hear what they have to say. I could do without Craig James, he's dead to me...can't stand him. But he didn't chime in too much anyway.

CatfishSooner
6/2/2011, 11:07 PM
nice post.... I'm ready for the season to get here!

BoulderSooner79
6/2/2011, 11:19 PM
One comment that perplexed me was Kirk saying "OU relied too much on the pass last year and will get back to running the football." But he didn't give any justification for that. I wonder if this was talking Stoops or other coaches or watching spring ball. I'd love to know myself because I think it's a big question mark on how Josh/Jay are going to attack.

85sooners
6/2/2011, 11:22 PM
Boomer

SoonerofAlabama
6/2/2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the post. Interesting to hear what they have to say. I could do without Craig James, he's dead to me...can't stand him. But it he didn't chime in too much anyway.

Why?

OU-HSV
6/2/2011, 11:26 PM
One comment that perplexed me was Kirk saying "OU relied too much on the pass last year and will get back to running the football." But he didn't give any justification for that. I wonder if this was talking Stoops or other coaches or watching spring ball. I'd love to know myself because I think it's a big question mark on how Josh/Jay are going to attack.

He may just be guessing at that considering all the depth we have at RB right now. Basically meaning he may think we'll be rotating them all in and using more of a ground attack instead of throwing to them so much (instead of letting that talent "go to waste" on the bench). Other than that, maybe he just has a hunch that Josh wants more ground game and KW was too pass happy? Who knows.

OU-HSV
6/2/2011, 11:29 PM
Why?

Why what? Why do I not like Craig James?

I just think he's a tool. He's always seemed like a slimeball to me and his whole situation with his son at texas tech made it worse for me. I can't stand him, he just seems like a creepy car salesman or something. And I've seen and heard him spout off a lot of B.S. when he's talking with the other guys, like Mark May, Kirk, Lou, and so on. In fact I've seen those other guys even busting his balls at times for some of his comments before.

SoonerofAlabama
6/2/2011, 11:31 PM
Okay, just wondering. He does have that stalker-ish backtone doesn't he?

OU-HSV
6/2/2011, 11:36 PM
Okay, just wondering. He does have that stalker-ish backtone doesn't he?

Heh..yeah he's a legit dbag. :D

IGotNoTiming
6/3/2011, 04:24 AM
SoonerofAlabama is actually Mike Leach.

sendbaht
6/3/2011, 06:26 AM
Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed it a lot!

meoveryouxinfinity
6/3/2011, 08:19 AM
Kirk has really become a pretty good analyst and game personality. He is pretty unbiased.. and usually favorable to OU.

-We cannot beat FSU without a good dose of running game.
-Our defense will be a top 10 defense, I expect Travis Lewis to shine after having an arguably average 2010 season.
-Dejuan Miller will be key early in the season.
-We started to use our TEs as catching threats more late in the season last year. Hopefully this will continue.

Beachsooner
6/3/2011, 09:54 AM
I really liked Craig James comment that he likes college football because each year there is a cleansing and renewal of players, coaches and circumstances.

SoonerofAlabama
6/3/2011, 09:57 AM
SoonerofAlabama is actually Mike Leach.

LOL :D

hawaii 5-0
6/3/2011, 11:21 AM
I didn't learn anything but it's good to see the OU program get the national attention. Deservedly so in my humble opinion.

But then......it's hard to be humble.......

5-0

Trump/ Urban 2012

JLEW1818
6/3/2011, 11:27 AM
yep, Kirk is one of the best in college football

Sooner Among The Pack
6/3/2011, 11:54 AM
One thing that is 1000% percent true in that discussion...

@ FSU sets the tone for the year. Go to Tallahassee and win, a special season is possible. Go to Tallahassee and send a message...a trip to New Orleans is ours to lose.

Okie35
6/3/2011, 12:02 PM
Kirk has really become a pretty good analyst and game personality. He is pretty unbiased.. and usually favorable to OU.

-We cannot beat FSU without a good dose of running game.
-Our defense will be a top 10 defense, I expect Travis Lewis to shine after having an arguably average 2010 season.
-Dejuan Miller will be key early in the season.
-We started to use our TEs as catching threats more late in the season last year. Hopefully this will continue.

He's favorable of OU I agree but unbiased, no.

Okie35
6/3/2011, 12:03 PM
One thing that is 1000% percent true in that discussion...

@ FSU sets the tone for the year. Go to Tallahassee and win, a special season is possible. Go to Tallahassee and send a message...a trip to New Orleans is ours to lose.

The MNC is in New Orleans, *sigh*.

Widescreen
6/3/2011, 12:05 PM

I agree. But it's funny how he can be generally positive toward OU, then say one thing that isn't glowing and people screams how he's anti-OU. I think he genuinely likes Stoops and thinks we have a great program but he's not a shill, nor should he be.

BoulderSooner79
6/3/2011, 12:14 PM
I agree. But it's funny how he can be generally positive toward OU, then say one thing that isn't glowing and people screams how he's anti-OU. I think he genuinely likes Stoops and thinks we have a great program but he's not a shill, nor should he be.

All fan bases do that. But I don't think it is the majority of the fans. If a media guy gives an objective assessment of a team that includes strengths and weaknesses, but is fairly accurate, most folks don't say anything. The extreme homers latch onto anything negative and are very vocal about it.

PLaw
6/3/2011, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the post. Interesting to hear what they have to say. I could do without Craig James, he's dead to me...can't stand him. But he didn't chime in too much anyway.

Yep, CJ has moved to the head of the all time prima dona line. While I don't wish any ill will towards him, I wish he would just go away.

BOOMER

The Maestro
6/3/2011, 12:48 PM
Other than that, maybe he just has a hunch that Josh wants more ground game and KW was too pass happy?

I am pretty sure Landry's pass attempts with Josh calling plays in Fiesta Bowl was his highest of the year. Also, KW was too run happy some times...see the 25 run attempts with the clock running out inside the Texas A&M 10 yard line last year. I think Josh will be more "take what the defense gives you" whereas I thought KW too many times had a plan and was sticking with it regardless of the defense. Very predictable at times for even me so I imagine defensive coaches paid to figure it out knew it, too.

Herbie was just filling time and over-analyzing. I see us passing more.

mightysooner
6/3/2011, 01:18 PM
I think Josh will be more "take what the defense gives you" whereas I thought KW too many times had a plan and was sticking with it regardless of the defense. Very predictable at times for even me so I imagine defensive coaches paid to figure it out knew it, too.

This exactly ^^^^^ Our offensive philosophy will be managed and directed from a former QB's perspective, not a former offensive linemen's "grinder" perspective. I think that will make a huge difference. I always thought K-Dub was too focused on forcing his gameplan down the opponent's throats regardless of what their defense was giving, which is what I'd expect from a former linemen's mindset. I don't think Josh will do that.

BoulderSooner79
6/3/2011, 02:41 PM
I am pretty sure Landry's pass attempts with Josh calling plays in Fiesta Bowl was his highest of the year. Also, KW was too run happy some times...see the 25 run attempts with the clock running out inside the Texas A&M 10 yard line last year. I think Josh will be more "take what the defense gives you" whereas I thought KW too many times had a plan and was sticking with it regardless of the defense. Very predictable at times for even me so I imagine defensive coaches paid to figure it out knew it, too.

This is what I suspected too, but Herbie put it out there that we would get back to the run game like he knew something without saying why. The unknown of how Josh will go about things makes this season more interesting. I'm not taking the Uconn game as a big hint because bowl prep is different and KW was still there.

Widescreen
6/3/2011, 03:05 PM
All fan bases do that. But I don't think it is the majority of the fans. If a media guy gives an objective assessment of a team that includes strengths and weaknesses, but is fairly accurate, most folks don't say anything. The extreme homers latch onto anything negative and are very vocal about it.

Which explains a lot of the commentary you see around here. :D

BoulderSooner79
6/3/2011, 03:16 PM
Which explains a lot of the commentary you see around here. :D

Well, this is an OU message board :) I'm talking about the comments sections you see at the end of an article posted on espn or si. It doesn't matter what the subject is about, the comment section turns into a war between battling homers and usually drifts away from the subject of the article. It can be funny to read, but if I linger too long, I can feel my IQ dropping.

ouwasp
6/3/2011, 06:23 PM
I wonder when this segment was taped; no mention of the tragic loss of Box.

Color me a little suspect until I see the Sooner D actually turn in a Top Ten performance on the field. Will there be several 3-n-outs vs Tulsa? Is there a DT that demands a couble team every play? The secondary has several new faces. So we'll see.

I'm just happy they finally televised it. As promised. :)

OU-HSV
6/3/2011, 08:27 PM

I wasn't saying I agreed with Herbie...just saying maybe that's what his train of thought was.
And I think you are correct with the pass attempts in the fiesta bowl. And those runs against the texags made me want to throw up (or just throw something at the t.v.). Reminded me of the runs vs. the gayturds in the redzone.

OU-HSV
6/3/2011, 08:29 PM
I wonder when this segment was taped; no mention of the tragic loss of Box.

Color me a little suspect until I see the Sooner D actually turn in a Top Ten performance on the field. Will there be several 3-n-outs vs Tulsa? Is there a DT that demands a couble team every play? The secondary has several new faces. So we'll see.

I'm just happy they finally televised it. As promised. :)

I think it was probably taped yesterday or the day before (whenever it first aired). Because if you notice, when talking about the LBs, they mention Travis Lewis and Tom Wort, but no mention of Box.
But you would think for their conversation's sake they could've added something about motivation for the season due to the death of Box (or something along those lines).

BoulderSooner79
6/3/2011, 09:57 PM
I was expecting them to mention Austin Box, but was really glad they didn't. It just seems too soon and in the context of talking about OUs potential, it would seem cold to me - as if having a tragic death is an advantage. Clearly, it will affect the team and we'll hear plenty about it this fall. But I salute ESPN for not spot-lighting it now (or for taping early if I'm giving them too much credit).

Salt City Sooner
6/3/2011, 11:24 PM
I was expecting them to mention Austin Box, but was really glad they didn't. It just seems too soon and in the context of talking about OUs potential, it would seem cold to me - as if having a tragic death is an advantage. Clearly, it will affect the team and we'll hear plenty about it this fall. But I salute ESPN for not spot-lighting it now (or for taping early if I'm giving them too much credit).
I'd be willing to bet this is the case. Remember, this segment was originally supposed to air on the day of his funeral so it's wouldn't have been taped all that far in advance.

boomerinhou
6/4/2011, 12:35 PM
One of the biggest point they made was the loss of Kevin Wilson. I just don't know how we will be able to overcome that. As Urban Meyer said, Kevin Wilson was the primary "architect" of those powerful, talented offenses. Losing that powerful of person....all of those creative plays and his magical bag of tricks...gee...we might be doomed from the outset.

:pop:

BoulderSooner79
6/4/2011, 01:03 PM
One of the biggest point they made was the loss of Kevin Wilson. I just don't know how we will be able to overcome that. As Urban Meyer said, Kevin Wilson was the primary "architect" of those powerful, talented offenses. Losing that powerful of person....all of those creative plays and his magical bag of tricks...gee...we might be doomed from the outset.

:pop:

I agree with Meyer - KW was a known and Josh is an unknown. I don't remember him saying anything about bag of tricks, but he was the architect of the offense and very experienced. My frustration with KW was not that he wasn't an excellent coach, but that he was *this close* to being a great one. I'm hoping Josh will take it to that next level (crimson glasses on), but we just don't know at this point (crimson glasses off).

swardboy
6/4/2011, 02:15 PM
Tulsa always makes me nervous.

goingoneight
6/4/2011, 02:37 PM
1. Urban Meyer's comment about the schedule was only taken as harsh is because we have sort of a three game schedule. I don't think there's any nice way he coulda put that without sounding like an SEC-chest pumping jerkoff. But, he's right... right now, it reads FSU, Texas, OSU... and it still seems weird knowing how bad Texas was a year ago, not knowing whether or not they'll really be a challenge to anyone anymore.
2. Herbstreit doesn't have to have insider knowledge to know OU wants to get back to running the football. With a veteran OL, the best WR corps in the country and a Heisman-caliber QB, the only thing left to do is put the missing pieces of the puzzle together. You can't listen to Stoops brag on Millard and think he's just not going to use him the way we used Littrell, Runnels and Clapp. Doesn't matter what Heupel or Norvell likes, this team is built to be able to knock people off the ball and he should push for and expect that we do that this year. As for the QB-mindset in playcalling... it will make a difference, but the difference is really an unknown. Chuck Long liked playing big boy football, and he was a former QB. Depends on your personnel and what you're up against.
3. Craig James is a ******.
4. The roundtable discussion was filmed in advance. They could have easily cut out the talk about Austin Box if if was filmed, say, three weeks ago. But I think it was a good move to not sit and harp on AB's death. They do that enough already with other teams that tragically lose players during the season.
5. I was more intrigued by the comments about OU and their tendency to play flat and unfocused in one or two games a year. The others were quick to dismiss it with excuses, but he was right. There's been a "trap game" loss every year since Stoops won his first MNC.
See: OSU 2001, A&M and OSU 2002, KSU 2003, U$C 2004, TCU, UCLA in 2005, Texas 2006, Colorado 2007, Texass 2008, Tx Tech 2009 and last year with Missouri and A&M (both in 2010 were very winnable games). This is the biggest question IMO. If OU rolls out past Tulsa and FSU 2-0 and no glaring issues, I think the only thing that can stop them is themselves coming out flat and unmotivated again.

BoulderSooner79
6/4/2011, 03:19 PM
I totally disagree about the trap game losses. Most of those losses were against quality teams and most were on the road. Or they were against the weaker OU squads such as '05 or '09. I have to go back to Colorado '07 before I'd say we lost a game there is no way we should loose. And the only streak of these was '01-'03 with OSU(2) and KSU which is ancient history now along with different OCs and DCs. Every team will have a couple of flat games every year or hit a team that poses a particular matchup problem. The trick is to figure out a way to win them (ugly).

goingoneight
6/4/2011, 03:42 PM
Would you agree that in each of those games, we squandered away chances to win with foolishness? Weaker squad means nothing when you lay down and let Tech ram into your top 15 defense. I saw plenty of opportunity for a better outcome in all of those games. Quality-schmality, too... how do we beat these same kinds of opponents to oblivion in Norman? I can understand the crowd getting behind you on a critical 4th and short, but what is our margin of victory in Norman now... 40 ppg (exaggeration, I know... but it's a big difference)? Fact is it IS a trend and a legit question. Even though Ryan Reynolds' injury doomed the Sooner D in the 2008 RRS, the team just flat out lost it's fire when he went down. That could easily happen to OU this year. It was a good question, IMO. I've seen great teams that have lost on the road before... and I've seen great games where great teams just don't come up with all the answers. But a lot of those games just sorta left you with that sick feeling inside. Like... how come two All-Americans couldn't cover Rashaun Woods to save their lives? Where was the team's natural pride in the 4th quarter against Missouri and A&M last year? Offense AND defense? These weren't all just missed FG-kinda games.

Edit: if this sounds like me ripping on you... I'm not. :O :)

BoulderSooner79
6/4/2011, 04:15 PM
I'm don't feel I'm being ripped. I just don't see OU as special in this regard - every team I follow, which is mostly the other elite teams, all follow the same pattern. Teams just don't play up to their potential 12 or 13 games in a row. If anything, I think this is an area of strength for Stoops compared to say, Pete Caroll. 'SC had teams as good as anyone '02-'08 and always managed to loose that one stupid game most years and only ended up with 1 title (that they are likely to have vacated). I was also disagreeing about most the games as being "trap games". My definition of that is losing to a weaker opponent due to focusing on a tougher game that follows. CU '07 was the week before Texas for example and was a classic trap game. MU and aTm last year were known to be the tough games and not preambles to tougher games. Both teams outplayed us and stomped us in the 4th. They were just better on those days in their houses. In '09, we were just an average team or maybe slightly better than average. Sure our D was stout, but TT was a bad matchup for us. NU had a better defense than we did and TT did the same thing to them. You had to have to some offense to beat tech that year. In '08, we only lost the BCS champ and team that would have taken our slot in the title game with a another tenth of a BCS point - can't call those trap games. I certainly agree with the Rashaun Woods comment and those 2 OSU losses (and way too close in '00). Another reason to hope Miles doesn't get the title, BTW. But the early '00s are a long time ago and I don't see that trend recently. As far as the home/road discrepancy goes -- sure I'd love to see us be better on the road. But the only way to really level that out is to start losing more at home. I vote no on that one :)

goingoneight
6/4/2011, 06:18 PM
Alright, alright... here's the deal. I'll gladly surrender a loss in the Red-White scrimmage in 2012 if we can go undefeated the next three years. Take it or leave it, fate... :P

:D

OU-HSV
6/5/2011, 12:37 PM
1. Urban Meyer's comment about the schedule was only taken as harsh is because we have sort of a three game schedule. I don't think there's any nice way he coulda put that without sounding like an SEC-chest pumping jerkoff. But, he's right... right now, it reads FSU, Texas, OSU... and it still seems weird knowing how bad Texas was a year ago, not knowing whether or not they'll really be a challenge to anyone anymore.
2. Herbstreit doesn't have to have insider knowledge to know OU wants to get back to running the football. With a veteran OL, the best WR corps in the country and a Heisman-caliber QB, the only thing left to do is put the missing pieces of the puzzle together. You can't listen to Stoops brag on Millard and think he's just not going to use him the way we used Littrell, Runnels and Clapp. Doesn't matter what Heupel or Norvell likes, this team is built to be able to knock people off the ball and he should push for and expect that we do that this year. As for the QB-mindset in playcalling... it will make a difference, but the difference is really an unknown. Chuck Long liked playing big boy football, and he was a former QB. Depends on your personnel and what you're up against.
3. Craig James is a ******.
4. The roundtable discussion was filmed in advance. They could have easily cut out the talk about Austin Box if if was filmed, say, three weeks ago. But I think it was a good move to not sit and harp on AB's death. They do that enough already with other teams that tragically lose players during the season.
5. I was more intrigued by the comments about OU and their tendency to play flat and unfocused in one or two games a year. The others were quick to dismiss it with excuses, but he was right. There's been a "trap game" loss every year since Stoops won his first MNC.
See: OSU 2001, A&M and OSU 2002, KSU 2003, U$C 2004, TCU, UCLA in 2005, Texas 2006, Colorado 2007, Texass 2008, Tx Tech 2009 and last year with Missouri and A&M (both in 2010 were very winnable games). This is the biggest question IMO. If OU rolls out past Tulsa and FSU 2-0 and no glaring issues, I think the only thing that can stop them is themselves coming out flat and unmotivated again.

In response to your 1: After watching it again on t.v. this morning, I kind of see the point he was going after. But really it doesn't make that much sense, at least right now looking at the teams we have on schedule with their "preseason rankings". He must be ignoring the fact that TX A&M is part of our schedule too and their own espn poll has them ranked in the top 15 or top 10 right? So we could really say our schedule is a 4 game schedule (plus it includes an in state matchup with a Tulsa team that has potential to try to catch us off guard/not saying they will..but I'm saying that's something worth mentioning when talking about OUr schedule).

2:I pretty much agree. Except I want to see our WR's as a group prove to be the best in the country before we label them that. We all know Broyles is a stud, Stills seems to be the next big thing, Dejaun has loads of potential, and so on...Loads of potential at WR. (pluse add in the T.E. threats we have and it looks crazy good)
And I'm like you, I really think Millard will be a key to our ground game whether we use him more for blocking or play action passes to him to try to mix it up (which would open up a lot through the ground and air right?).
Also ESPN touched on this and I want to mention how freakishly loaded with potential our RB depth is. Very similar to our WR depth, young potential...but at this point the WRs are more proven than the backs of course.

3:100% agree

4:If you watch the top 20 show that they broadcast on ESPNU this morning, when they get to OU at the number one spot they show the roundtable discussion that we're talking about in this thread, BUT they also have a moment before showing that discussion where the guy (I can't think of who it was), but he talks about the passing of Box and how it will be a theme of motivation for the season for the Sooners. I was pleased to see them add this to the show/special because as I mentioned earlier in this thread or another on, I think it will be something the team helps use to motivate.

5:It does seem like we have a trap game nearly every year. I think that just comes with the territory, everyone wants to beat OU and it doesn't help in some years when the team seems to play at the level of the opponent/just good enough to end up winning...just ask some of the teams in recent years who we should have thumped, but instead we either lost or simply won in a closer than expected style (like Utah State last year and AF last year, and so on).

If OU rolls out past Tulsa and FSU 2-0 and no glaring issues, I think the only thing that can stop them is themselves coming out flat and unmotivated again Very good point. A lot of this will also pivot on if everyone is as good as hyped, like TX A&M, tejas, and osu.

Damn I'm ready for the season to start