PDA

View Full Version : All-College field opponents announced.....

Salt City Sooner
6/2/2011, 09:17 PM
OU-Houston; & OSU-New Mexico

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2011/06/02/espn-announces-76th-annual-all-college-basketball-classic/

CowboyMRW
6/2/2011, 09:33 PM
It's sad how far this has fallen. The attendance is terrible and frankly the only thing I see helping it is for OU and OSU to either be good again or I think it would be great to bring in some good teams from the Big East or ACC

the_ouskull
6/2/2011, 11:00 PM
Agreed. Now, what's THEIR incentive? Especially since it's no longer a tournament?

the_ouskull

nativesooner
6/3/2011, 10:44 AM
I think having it on Saturday will help attendance a little more. Those weekday games are hard to make. Last year it was on Saturday but OU sucked so bad no one I know went besides my guest. :D I'd love to see better teams too, but I'm guessing the All College folks are wanting to try to get a W. Not that it's guaranteed for my boys with Houston.

fwsooner22
6/3/2011, 10:57 AM
James Dickey's first year at UH and Steve Alford's New Mexico. It could be worse.

CowboyMRW
6/3/2011, 03:28 PM
Agreed. Now, what's THEIR incentive? Especially since it's no longer a tournament?

the_ouskull

How much money are the teams getting that come and play. Off the top of my head I don't exactly know who OU has played there in the last 10 years but OSU has played Pitt and Gonzaga and Tennessee. It's on ESPN and could be an RPI boost for some teams on Selection Sunday.

I just think that we should be able to pull a Villanova or Memphis or Arizona. Someone like that

John Kochtoston
6/4/2011, 04:09 AM
It's sad how far this has fallen. The attendance is terrible and frankly the only thing I see helping it is for OU and OSU to either be good again or I think it would be great to bring in some good teams from the Big East or ACC

Here's the deal, though. With crappy teams coming in, it's a chance for both schools to play in the state's largest metro area during Christmas break when the students are gone. 10K in the 18K Ford Center is more than either school would draw at home against a lightweight non-con opponent.

OU, at least, needs to keep the All-College this way. It used to **** me off no end that one of OU's best "home" games each year was actually 20 miles away and not part of the season ticket package.

OUSKINS
6/5/2011, 12:43 PM
Oh, that is just a terrible field. It might be time to do away with the All College or at least turn it into a round robin where each team gets two games out of it or something. When OU and OSU both stink like they do now you better bring in at least one marque name to draw fans.

Houston and New Mexico?

Yawn....

NMSooner'80
6/8/2011, 01:16 PM
Oh, that is just a terrible field. It might be time to do away with the All College or at least turn it into a round robin where each team gets two games out of it or something. When OU and OSU both stink like they do now you better bring in at least one marque name to draw fans.

Houston and New Mexico?

Yawn....

UNM should beat OSU, and Houston at least has a name. It's harder to get a marquee team to come to OKC when they can stay in their own areas and play East Popcorn State. Neither Houston or UNM even approach that level, historically.

fwsooner22
6/8/2011, 02:42 PM
New Mexico is a very good program. Houston maybe not so much but itsn't there a good chance they will be favored in the game ?

Sooner95
6/8/2011, 07:08 PM
Yea, i wished they'd actually play it like a tournament. match the winners the next night or something..even if it is OU/OSU just do what baseball has done and not count it towards Conf standings..

SpankyNek
6/8/2011, 07:58 PM
Yea, i wished they'd actually play it like a tournament. match the winners the next night or something..even if it is OU/OSU just do what baseball has done and not count it towards Conf standings..

They really screwed the pooch when they dropped the tournament format.

It was the world's oldest basketball tournament until somebody whined enough to get the format changed in 2001.

Some of those tourneys were great, especially when it was all 4 D1 in state schools.

Sooner95
6/8/2011, 08:02 PM
Yea, it's almost like the tourney committee (has to be one) doesn't try very hard in order to avoid losses by the states schools. even though...OSU has only recently been a yearly participate.

I remember some of the better ones involving OU, 2 scrub teams and one top notch D1 team.

Heck, hit up the Mid-Major conf schools. I am sure they;d love the exposure and the potential boost to their RPI.

Sooner95
6/8/2011, 08:04 PM
Speaking of which, anyone know of where to look up the past history of this tourney? Tried a quick google and wiki search and couldn't find much.

SpankyNek
6/8/2011, 08:15 PM
Speaking of which, anyone know of where to look up the past history of this tourney? Tried a quick google and wiki search and couldn't find much.

A bit of work, but here's some info (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22all+college+tournament%22+history&hl=en&nord=1&biw=1280&bih=709&site=webhp&prmd=ivnsu&sa=X&ei=JR7wTbvCCuTW0QGl0oH0DA&ved=0CDQQpQI&tbm=&tbs=tl:1,tl_num:100,tlul:1930,tluh:2000) to dig through.

OUSKINS
6/8/2011, 08:24 PM
I've always thought this would be a good idea:

Night One:

Tulsa vs. OU
OSU vs. ORU

Night Two:

Tulsa vs. OSU
OU vs. ORU

If you can't bring in big time D1 schools for a one night affair, just involve all the state schools...

SpankyNek
6/8/2011, 08:37 PM
I've always thought this would be a good idea:

Night One:

Tulsa vs. OU
OSU vs. ORU

Night Two:

Tulsa vs. OSU
OU vs. ORU

If you can't bring in big time D1 schools for a one night affair, just involve all the state schools...

They did this for a few years if I am remembering correctly.

hvhurricane
6/9/2011, 07:25 PM
They never did this at the All College. They tried to do it when TU was good, but Kelvin wouldn't allow it to happen.