PDA

View Full Version : Dorial Green-Beckham

Pages : [1] 2

Sabanball
6/2/2011, 06:44 PM
What are you guys hearing? Based on what I know, looks to be between you guys, us, Mizzou, and Arkie. Supposedly doesn't like the recruiting process and wants to commit early(like, this month), AND has built a relationship with Gunner Kiel.

bornnbredou
6/2/2011, 06:58 PM
I havent heard anything recently but Im betting its a two way battle between OU and Mizzou...I only say this because OU and Mizzou are the only two schools that Kiel has visited twice, and that DGB has been to...on top of the fact that Mizzou is his home state team and OU throws the ball a lot more and is more attractive to a big time WR. Yes I know this is just speculation, but thats the way it seems. My guess is he commits to Mizzou though, seems like OU has missed on every bigtime WR recently besides Metoyer (Prater, Jones, etc)

Sabanball
6/2/2011, 07:26 PM
I havent heard anything recently but Im betting its a two way battle between OU and Mizzou...I only say this because OU and Mizzou are the only two schools that Kiel has visited twice, and that DGB has been to...on top of the fact that Mizzou is his home state team and OU throws the ball a lot more and is more attractive to a big time WR. Yes I know this is just speculation, but thats the way it seems. My guess is he commits to Mizzou though, seems like OU has missed on every bigtime WR recently besides Metoyer (Prater, Jones, etc)

Not quite true--GK has made three visits to Tuscaloosa, the last being about two wks ago, the one before that on 3/29, and not sure when the first one was. He seems to really like our pro-set offense. That being said, my gut says DGB ends up either at Mizzou or Arkie. Actually, I think he lives closer to Fayetteville than he does to Columbia, so if proximity is important then the hogs might actually have the upper hand, and he'd be a good fit in Petrino's offense. I still say, if the kid wants to play for championships he better either go to Norman or T-town.

bornnbredou
6/2/2011, 08:20 PM
Not quite true--GK has made three visits to Tuscaloosa, the last being about two wks ago, the one before that on 3/29, and not sure when the first one was. He seems to really like our pro-set offense. That being said, my gut says DGB ends up either at Mizzou or Arkie. Actually, I think he lives closer to Fayetteville than he does to Columbia, so if proximity is important then the hogs might actually have the upper hand, and he'd be a good fit in Petrino's offense. I still say, if the kid wants to play for championships he better either go to Norman or T-town.

Didnt know that, I just recently read an article saying that OU and Mizzou were the only two teams hes visited twice, but either way Im not holding my breath on him or DGB, those guys seem to always go elsewhere while OU continues to win and play in championships. We never win with big name guys out of high school so it wont bother me if neither of them commit to OU, as long as we keep winning with the Bradfords, Jones and Broyles of the world.

bixby28
6/2/2011, 08:33 PM
Didnt know that, I just recently read an article saying that OU and Mizzou were the only two teams hes visited twice, but either way Im not holding my breath on him or DGB, those guys seem to always go elsewhere while OU continues to win and play in championships. We never win with big name guys out of high school so it wont bother me if neither of them commit to OU, as long as we keep winning with the Bradfords, Jones and Broyles of the world.

Not sure that you really thought about the "We never win with big name guys out of high school..." line. Here are a few big name guys out of high school that OU won with. (Not all 4-5 star HS players are going to be DI stars, I realize that)

Adrian Peterson
Gerald McCoy
Ryan Reynolds
DeMarco Murray
Jamarkus McFarland
Tom Wort
Kenny Stills
Roy Finch
Tony Jefferson

BoulderSooner79
6/2/2011, 11:09 PM
I think the comment was directed toward high profile WR recruits and I've also wondered why that is given our string of passing offenses. Maybe Metoyer will mark the beginning of a WR pipeline for us. Stills was highly recruited, but not at the level of Julius Jones or the DGB guy. Broyles is going to leave some very big shoes to fill.

EDIT: any list of big time OU recruits under Stoops has to include Tommy Harris

bornnbredou
6/2/2011, 11:34 PM
Yes my comment was directed mainly at QBs and WRs. The only big QB recruits weve had in the Stoops era were Bomar and he was a bust for us, and then Bell even though he wasnt a huge get, but a solid QB recruit. Then the list of receivers weve been in on in the last 5 or so years but lost at signing day is huge, until Metoyer. Maybe he can flip the trend.

bornnbredou
6/2/2011, 11:38 PM
And to answer your question Boulder, I think the reason those big name guys usually go elswhere is because our offense relies a lot on the flat passes and short slant route stuff that the little quick guys seem to be much better suited for. The last big receiver we had was Kelly and he was good for us, but he really only got opportunities downfield which were few and far in between. Couple that with the fact that most bigtime WR recruits are usually big receivers they see that and it could be a deterrent.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/3/2011, 09:01 AM
EDIT: any list of big time OU recruits under Stoops has to include Tommy Harris

Who is Tommy Harris?

Mad Dog Madsen
6/3/2011, 09:03 AM
We never win with big name guys out of high school so it wont bother me if neither of them commit to OU, as long as we keep winning with the Bradfords, Jones and Broyles of the world.

Yeah that's a pretty idiotic staement. Bradford was the only guy you named that was not highly recruited outta HS but he was still a Top 15 QB in the country at the time.

bornnbredou
6/3/2011, 09:37 AM
Yeah that's a pretty idiotic staement. Bradford was the only guy you named that was not highly recruited outta HS but he was still a Top 15 QB in the country at the time.

Im talkin 5 star guys, ones with offers from every school in the country, you know the Rhett Bomar, Adrian Peterson types...Julio Jones, Reuben Randle, Kyle Prater, etc, etc...do you have reading comprehension problems? Oh, and while Broyles was a 4 star by only some publications, he had very few offers at all so Id say thats not very highly recruited. Jones was just a 4 star as well. dip****

Mad Dog Madsen
6/3/2011, 10:36 AM
We pull in big names every year... We're not Colorado State. Did you just now become a Sooner fan this year or something? I mean we can't pull in every #1 guy at his position every year. Maybe you should look at the short list bixby28 provided for you. Are you just plain stupid or have you just been surrounded by corn fields too long?

JLEW1818
6/3/2011, 10:43 AM
Im talkin 5 star guys, ones with offers from every school in the country, you know the Rhett Bomar, Adrian Peterson types...Julio Jones, Reuben Randle, Kyle Prater, etc, etc...do you have reading comprehension problems? Oh, and while Broyles was a 4 star by only some publications, he had very few offers at all so Id say thats not very highly recruited. Jones was just a 4 star as well. dip****

they each went to a state school which they were from.

J. Jones was a 5 star
http://rivals.yahoo.com/alabama/football/recruiting/commitments/2008/Alabama-73

bixby28
6/3/2011, 11:04 PM

You're the one that made the stupid statement in the first place. Now you're trying to convince everyone that you were only misunderstood.

bornnbredou
6/4/2011, 12:22 AM
LMAO at Bixby and Madsen...are you guys really this stupid? Honestly what is so hard to understand about the fact that OU rarely ever pulls in top rated QBs and WRs out of high school? I realize in my original post I didnt specify those two positions but I kind of figured most OU fans with half a brain understood what I meant, but just to clarify I dedicated a whole new post to try to help you slow ones out and you still dont get it. Show me the list of top rated QBs and WRs that OU has gotten under Stoops not including Metoyer since I mentioned him originally.

And Jlew...thats a good point. Bottom line is we usually miss out on these guys and still win so like I also said originally, Im not worried about where either of them go.

bixby28
6/4/2011, 12:42 AM
LMAO at Bixby and Madsen...are you guys really this stupid? Honestly what is so hard to understand about the fact that OU rarely ever pulls in top rated QBs and WRs out of high school? I realize in my original post I didnt specify those to positions but I kind of figured most OU fans with half a brain understood what I meant, but just to clarify I dedicated a whole new post to try to help you slow ones out and you still dont get it. Show me the list of top rated QBs and WRs that OU has gotten under Stoops not including Metoyer since I mentioned him originally.

And Jlew...thats a good point. Bottom line is we usually miss out on these guys and still win so like I also said originally, Im not worried about where either of them go.

You really shouldn't have responded back. I laughed a little after reading this.

bornnbredou
6/4/2011, 06:08 AM
You really shouldn't have responded back. I laughed a little after reading this.

I even corrected my own mistake before you could respond to it, but the fact that all you can respond with is that is reassuring. WINNING.

bornnbredou
6/4/2011, 06:10 AM
And wheres the list? You guys clearly have some bevy of knowledge about all of these 5 star QBs and WRs that Stoops has recruited that Im just too ignorant to know about. Id really like to see this list and Ill gladly eat my crow.

MojoRisen
6/4/2011, 02:21 PM
Gresham. #1 te I'n highschool

bornnbredou
6/4/2011, 03:34 PM
Gresham. #1 te I'n highschool

WOW, Im really not sure how to respond to this. Does anyone on this site know what a QB or WR is? Man you all have reading comprehension problems, then again the majority of you on here probably struggled for that high school diploma/GED. (most likely GED for Madsen and Bixby)

JLEW1818
6/4/2011, 03:38 PM
you won't be on this board long.

bornnbredou
6/4/2011, 03:47 PM
We shall see, oh well. Note to posters, dont be excessively more intelligent than every other poster on the board and call them out on their stupidity when they try to outwit you.

JLEW1818
6/4/2011, 03:48 PM
make your point, but be respectful.

bornnbredou
6/4/2011, 03:56 PM
make your point, but be respectful.

Good advise. Some of us have a lot lower tolerance for stupidity though. You can hate me all you want but its clear that I simply responded to being called out, and when someone tries to call me out on my post and makes themselves look idiotic in doing so, I will always disrespect them right back.

northspeter
6/4/2011, 04:11 PM
qb's jason white... rhett bomar... landry jones... blake bell...

wr's malcolm kelly... adron tennell... kenny stills... and the guy we aren't supposed to mention, trey metoyer...

those are off the top of my head... all highly rated... highly recruited... they signed and played at OU except metoyer hasn't played yet...

bornnbredou
6/4/2011, 04:28 PM
qb's jason white... rhett bomar... landry jones... blake bell...

wr's malcolm kelly... adron tennell... kenny stills... and the guy we aren't supposed to mention, trey metoyer...

those are off the top of my head... all highly rated... highly recruited... they signed and played at OU except metoyer hasn't played yet...

At least you actually tried to compile a list, but I clearly said the 5 star types, then specifically mentioned only 5 star guys as my examples. Bomar was the only 5 star QB of that group and I even mentioned him earlier as the only QB. Every receiver you mentioned doesnt fit the mold, none were 5 stars.

Think Julio Jones, Reuben Randle, Kyle Prater...all 5 stars with offers from nearly every team in the country. Im honestly not trying to be a dick, but my god, how much more clear can I be in what Im saying?

All the players you mentioned are great, fairly highly recruited guys nationally, but none were the same caliber as Jones, Randle, Prater, Terrelle Pryor, etc...My point stands that OU rarely ever lands these types of QBs and WRs.

pappy
6/4/2011, 07:49 PM
At least you actually tried to compile a list, but I clearly said the 5 star types, then specifically mentioned only 5 star guys as my examples. Bomar was the only 5 star QB of that group and I even mentioned him earlier as the only QB. Every receiver you mentioned doesnt fit the mold, none were 5 stars.

Think Julio Jones, Reuben Randle, Kyle Prater...all 5 stars with offers from nearly every team in the country. Im honestly not trying to be a dick, but my god, how much more clear can I be in what Im saying?

All the players you mentioned are great, fairly highly recruited guys nationally, but none were the same caliber as Jones, Randle, Prater, Terrelle Pryor, etc...My point stands that OU rarely ever lands these types of QBs and WRs.

Just cause I'm sick of the pointless argument, I'm gonna jump in...You're right Stoops hasn't landed many 5 star QB's or WR's. Everyone pay attention to what he is saying...he isn't saying highly recruited players or even saying highly recruited QB's and WR's he is saying STRICTLY 5 STAR players. Can we all agree he is correct? He is correct by the way. Stoops has landed big time, highly recruited players at these positions, but not 5 star recruits. He is not dissing the players or coach stoops in his honest statements.

That being said Dorial Green-Beckham is in Norman for the football camp this weekend. I'm hoping for a commitment, but my hopes aren't too high that we get it this weekend, just hope we get it by the time he signs the dotted line on signing day.

owenfieldreams
6/4/2011, 09:03 PM
My Blackberry just took a new commit hit.

bornnbredou
6/4/2011, 09:52 PM
Just cause I'm sick of the pointless argument, I'm gonna jump in...You're right Stoops hasn't landed many 5 star QB's or WR's. Everyone pay attention to what he is saying...he isn't saying highly recruited players or even saying highly recruited QB's and WR's he is saying STRICTLY 5 STAR players. Can we all agree he is correct? He is correct by the way. Stoops has landed big time, highly recruited players at these positions, but not 5 star recruits. He is not dissing the players or coach stoops in his honest statements.

That being said Dorial Green-Beckham is in Norman for the football camp this weekend. I'm hoping for a commitment, but my hopes aren't too high that we get it this weekend, just hope we get it by the time he signs the dotted line on signing day.

Thank you, I agree its a pointless argument I just got slammed from about 8 places at once and neg repped out the *** for it so I felt the need to make a scene. Im done now, and I hope we land DGB, but I wont lose any sleep if we dont, same for Kiel.

bornnbredou
6/4/2011, 10:04 PM
My Blackberry just took a new commit hit.

We are really building a Florida pipeline recently. I hope it keeps up.

Bosley
6/4/2011, 10:22 PM
We shall see, oh well. Note to posters, dont be excessively more intelligent than every other poster on the board and call them out on their stupidity when they try to outwit you.

Dude, I never post here.

I was just dropping in to check out the latest news, but found this thread to be ridiculous to actually stop what I was doing, neg you, and let you know that anyone that calls someone else on the internet, "unintelligent" or "stupid" or makes some kind of generic statement like, "You're not the brightest crayon in the box" typically has massive self-esteem problems and is probably not well liked, even off the internet.

Do yourself a favor, buy a 12 pack, get a new wardrobe, join a gym and grow up.

bornnbredou
6/4/2011, 10:41 PM
Dude, I never post here.

I was just dropping in to check out the latest news, but found this thread to be ridiculous to actually stop what I was doing, neg you, and let you know that anyone that calls someone else on the internet, "unintelligent" or "stupid" or makes some kind of generic statement like, "You're not the brightest crayon in the box" typically has massive self-esteem problems and is probably not well liked, even off the internet.

Do yourself a favor, buy a 12 pack, get a new wardrobe, join a gym and grow up.

Just for arguments sake, did you neg rep the other posters saying idiotic, stupid, etc? No you didnt because you are too unintelligent and stupid to even know how the argument started. Believe me, I have no self-esteem problems, quite the opposite actually, havent I made that obvious?

My guess is you relate to the other guys on here; the ones who tried to call me out and only embarrassed themselves in the process. Its pleasing to know that you never post on here and I could bring out so much anger in you, that tells me a LOT about you and your soft little self.

Mongo
6/4/2011, 11:14 PM
Just for arguments sake, did you neg rep the other posters saying idiotic, stupid, etc? No you didnt because you are too unintelligent and stupid to even know how the argument started. Believe me, I have no self-esteem problems, quite the opposite actually, havent I made that obvious?

My guess is you relate to the other guys on here; the ones who tried to call me out and only embarrassed themselves in the process. Its pleasing to know that you never post on here and I could bring out so much anger in you, that tells me a LOT about you and your soft little self.

you are awesome. your branes are too much for us simpletons. You should publish your opinions with rivals and other recruiting services. why are you slumming here?

bixby28
6/4/2011, 11:48 PM

When I initially disagreed with your post, it was because of your reference to Bradford, Landry Jones, and Ryan Broyles, not exclusively the wide receivers OU has made winners out of. That's why I made the a short list of the 5 star recruits that were stars at OU.

You're right about not needing 5 star receivers to win a lot of games, and OU has proven that.

bornnbredou
6/5/2011, 12:50 AM
you are awesome. your branes are too much for us simpletons. You should publish your opinions with rivals and other recruiting services. why are you slumming here?

Ive been wondering the same thing about myself for a while now, with my superior knowledge, Ive got to be worth a lot. Oh and my talk about being so much more intelligent than everyone here is not to say that I am of superior intelligence in life in general, just apparently on this board. Read for yourself and you will see that. Its astonishing. Really, even I have a hard time believing it.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/5/2011, 02:02 AM
We shall see, oh well. Note to posters, dont be excessively more intelligent than every other poster on the board and call them out on their stupidity when they try to outwit you.SEE POST #23

yankee
6/5/2011, 02:05 AM
bornbredou is surrounded by stupid people.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/5/2011, 04:40 AM
Ryan Moore (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Ryan-Moore-334;_ylt=AinmVWFTHVK91XDaeJde5IJGPZB4)
WR
Orlando, FLDr. Phillips
5 stars
6'4"
Miami (FL) (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2012/miami%28fl%29-11;_ylt=AphF.aqJjeBTHHIXybPijlpGPZB4)
DiShon Platt (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-DiShon-Platt-285;_ylt=AqxDBFmWJEgX5e4pQFSmcmBGPZB4)
WR
Punta Gorda, FLCharlotte
5 stars
6'0"
Florida St. (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2012/floridast.-3;_ylt=AgI2aoXzi7XJVB5tJKUiKnpGPZB4)
Marquis Johnson (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Marquis-Johnson-1310;_ylt=ArJ3BSKijZHgUWIRM7aOI19GPZB4)
WR
Champaign, ILCentennial
5 stars
6'3"
Texas (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2012/texas-83;_ylt=AoZZidIF67pbfuB.nIXNlxFGPZB4)
Ben Obomanu (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Ben-Obomanu-141;_ylt=AsL8fDsMaBIczivkoH2wY19GPZB4)
WR
Selma, AL
5 stars
6'2"
Auburn (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2012/auburn-75;_ylt=AgG9pI6kIijY3eEFeTuyeXBGPZB4)

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/5/2011, 04:41 AM
Andre Caldwell (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Andre-Caldwell-10207;_ylt=Arw2_WkFZT_Li17iX2M9iMZGPZB4)
WR
Tampa, FLJefferson
5 stars
6'2"
Florida (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2003/florida-67;_ylt=AnrRI6GIaSwKcniEHJOdhgBGPZB4)
Chad Jackson (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Chad-Jackson-4788;_ylt=AmAvxb5AecVVjKj5ksWrz.JGPZB4)
WR
Hoover, AL
5 stars
6'1"
Florida (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2003/florida-67;_ylt=AnXG6MBfQApTYU2lIbBPjzBGPZB4)
Robert Meachem (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Robert-Meachem-5340;_ylt=As10LFLh6o0BIx0W4wIkNFZGPZB4)
WR
Tulsa, OKBooker T. Washington
5 stars
6'3"
Tennessee (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2003/tennessee-71;_ylt=Aq_3E2hxWueHIeougaVa7tFGPZB4)

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/5/2011, 04:41 AM
Early Doucet (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Early-Doucet-16671;_ylt=AkLm9P5eghiEVOCyaBM86KhGPZB4)
WR
St. Martinville, LA
5 stars
6'1"
LSU (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2004/lsu-76;_ylt=ApuOQzayb4SoxCeNr8LE6SBGPZB4)
Cameron Colvin (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Cameron-Colvin-17010;_ylt=AqCPAhiK2nVEayMXfvnyQ65GPZB4)
WR
Concord, CADe La Salle
5 stars
6'2"
Oregon (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2004/oregon-60;_ylt=Auk4Q_Aa.OF0JI2rFkYZ3MpGPZB4)
Fred Davis (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Fred-Davis-17356;_ylt=AviLmKtI0kGk0HJoQGRVknNGPZB4)
WR
Toledo, OHRogers
5 stars
6'4"
USC (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2004/usc-62;_ylt=Al2iZtuHEIJC_6LbSAmbt.JGPZB4)
Lance Leggett (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Lance-Leggett-21173;_ylt=Aivy5or5EMwK93ObXODxKsRGPZB4)
WR
Arlington, TXGrace Prepatory
5 stars
6'4"
Miami (FL) (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2004/miami%28fl%29-11;_ylt=AqzUP.jsKq2pRYgNmVvAWBJGPZB4)
Xavier Carter (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Xavier-Carter-16748;_ylt=AgpQdXKE3coXnSBxaZvMXptGPZB4)
WR
Palm Bay, FL
5 stars
6'3"
LSU (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2004/lsu-76;_ylt=AmehpffMkWqgEA5KH03qyZFGPZB4)

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/5/2011, 04:42 AM
Patrick Turner (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Patrick-Turner-22344;_ylt=AuW0KwkhRAxam85jtHxEOfRGPZB4)
WR
Nashville, TNGoodpasture
5 stars
6'5"
USC (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2005/usc-62;_ylt=Ah0Pl8mNr9VHLMdYdArm1RxGPZB4)
Fred Rouse (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Fred-Rouse-25014;_ylt=AomiY1c0gDr8yW.yxhYFgixGPZB4)
WR
Tallahassee, FLLincoln
5 stars
6'4"
Florida St. (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2005/floridast.-3;_ylt=AgI2aoXzi7XJVB5tJKUiKnpGPZB4)
DeSean Jackson (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-DeSean-Jackson-25008;_ylt=AiceFeMuznwkl_eVXzU0CCJGPZB4)
WR
Long Beach, CAPoly
5 stars
5'11"
California (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2005/california-59;_ylt=AiQqYpJgLQuOdBiJEaOevX1GPZB4)

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/5/2011, 04:42 AM
Percy Harvin (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Percy-Harvin-26296;_ylt=AmRMSjHFxTs1773nMzOC7WZGPZB4)
WR
Virginia Beach, VALandstown
5 stars
6'1"
Florida (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2006/florida-67;_ylt=AnrRI6GIaSwKcniEHJOdhgBGPZB4)
Vidal Hazelton (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Vidal-Hazelton-36711;_ylt=AnQetuYaXMLTh0W6PfU61m5GPZB4)
WR
Chatham, VAHargrave Military Academy
5 stars
6'3"
USC (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2006/usc-62;_ylt=AjaObIZTT62gIbbrw5ca.tNGPZB4)

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/5/2011, 04:43 AM
Ronald Johnson (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Ronald-Johnson-38028;_ylt=AhkfiQlopvRpJyiCZHH8EShGPZB4)
WR
Muskegon, MIMuskegonHas tremendous ability to make big plays.

5 stars
6'0"
USC (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2007/usc-62;_ylt=Ah0Pl8mNr9VHLMdYdArm1RxGPZB4)
Terrance Toliver (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Terrance-Toliver-43493;_ylt=AkJ89sNOUm9hnWteJDjBQjNGPZB4)
WR
Hempstead, TXHempsteadHas unlimited potential, an NFL frame and good speed.

5 stars
6'4"
LSU (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2007/lsu-76;_ylt=AtCE0J1zT6pnPCrXqot.ENNGPZB4)
Chris Culliver (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Chris-Culliver-51378;_ylt=Ap4kJbMUNDUz9ut5EaGTm21GPZB4)
WR
Garner, NCGarnerProved he's a big-time receiver late as a senior.

5 stars
6'0"
South Carolina (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2007/southcarolina-70;_ylt=Ak0EfyuVirgT_kpQBeoKPZJGPZB4)
Dwight Jones (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Dwight-Jones-38425;_ylt=Ah0Pyj0sEZi7WSxn1sBruLRGPZB4)
WR
Burlington, NCCummingsWill be a terror in the red zone.

5 stars
6'5"
North Carolina (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2007/northcarolina-6;_ylt=AhBHxnpucmAItCwuKyAtV15GPZB4)
Arrelious Benn (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Arrelious-Benn-37277;_ylt=AiMm9J2tz7pdIiYCVrM6EdtGPZB4)
WR
Washington, DCDunbarSize creates all kinds of issues for defensive backs.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/5/2011, 04:43 AM
Julio Jones (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Julio-Jones-54050;_ylt=AqG8rbOEhNYXwVnrG34_CeNGPZB4)
WR
Foley, ALFoley
5 stars
6'4"
Alabama (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2008/alabama-73;_ylt=Aiy2U0VBfrnQfNBNqclO04lGPZB4)
A.J. Green (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-A.J.-Green-40547;_ylt=AoJFevSoqWRWpiKUL4NcaGlGPZB4)
WR
Summerville, SCSummerville
5 stars
6'4"
Georgia (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2008/georgia-68;_ylt=Aof8SwGP7KpcFf7As5MlztFGPZB4)
DeVier Posey (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-DeVier-Posey-56415;_ylt=AmARCrCA75Bc5n5mq7ahDVlGPZB4)
WR
Cincinnati, OHLa Salle
5 stars
6'2"
Ohio St. (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2008/ohiost.-33;_ylt=AviM.u6olnTwQTkWuK_1cGRGPZB4)
DeAndre Brown (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-DeAndre-Brown-50455;_ylt=ArEPZzfFsQ3mu8toTIiU.ZtGPZB4)
WR
Ocean Springs, MSOcean Springs
5 stars
6'6"
Southern Miss (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2008/southernmiss-105;_ylt=An4jRy.dqvbuCH99cAq1LYNGPZB4)
Jonathan Baldwin (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Jonathan-Baldwin-45293;_ylt=ArInLLAzDuKidSzGfKGyaXNGPZB4)
WR
Aliquippa, PAAliquippa
5 stars
6'6"
Pittsburgh (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2008/pittsburgh-12;_ylt=AizRKACGLWTWKd_q8_BS2ftGPZB4)
Michael Floyd (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Michael-Floyd-54412;_ylt=Ap6zm8uPhjo1ysLIRJJvKltGPZB4)
WR
St. Paul, MNCretin-Derham Hall
5 stars
6'3"
Notre Dame (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2008/notredame-104;_ylt=AnUt_OOfJENxFLNjaSZU4olGPZB4)

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/5/2011, 04:44 AM
Rueben Randle (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Rueben-Randle-61343;_ylt=Ak5Cq.4.uLgsSuWkiwqLShhGPZB4)
WR
Bastrop, LABastrop
5 stars
6'3"
LSU (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2009/lsu-76;_ylt=ApuOQzayb4SoxCeNr8LE6SBGPZB4)
Andre Debose (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Andre-Debose-78414;_ylt=Au2WRUMnSq1QTWW0upVxRD5GPZB4)
WR
Sanford, FLSeminole
5 stars
6'0"
Florida (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2009/florida-67;_ylt=AnXG6MBfQApTYU2lIbBPjzBGPZB4)

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/5/2011, 04:45 AM
Kyle Prater (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Kyle-Prater-87247;_ylt=AlB1cp2tSO.4jjteHQSAmyBGPZB4)
WR
Hillside, ILProviso West
5 stars
6'5"
USC (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2010/usc-62;_ylt=Ah0Pl8mNr9VHLMdYdArm1RxGPZB4)
Da'Rick Rogers (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Da%27Rick-Rogers-85337;_ylt=AkRjdK5.ALfmSsXHw1byqHBGPZB4)
WR
Calhoun, GACalhoun
5 stars
6'3"
Tennessee (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2010/tennessee-71;_ylt=AiBpDWA2LpUq1J0BFlfXHvBGPZB4)
Markeith Ambles (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Markeith-Ambles-82992;_ylt=AqGVDSa.RYczNuJhmWDa_ARGPZB4)
WR
McDonough, GAHenry County
5 stars
6'2"
USC (http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2010/usc-62;_ylt=Al2iZtuHEIJC_6LbSAmbt.JGPZB4)

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/5/2011, 04:49 AM
Not getting DiShon Platt in 2002 really set this program back...What a great All-Pro WR he turned out to be!!

Sabanball
6/5/2011, 07:31 PM
Dang....I love recruiting!

BTW, Gunner Kiel is supposedly announcing on 6/12 his decision. I think it's you guys or us. Heres some video of the kid...have to love his arm strength, this kid can really sling the rock around the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fROvC0LfRA

6/6/2011, 12:51 PM
Dang....I love recruiting!

BTW, Gunner Kiel is supposedly announcing on 6/12 his decision. I think it's you guys or us. Heres some video of the kid...have to love his arm strength, this kid can really sling the rock around the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fROvC0LfRAYou sound awfully cocky. I hope Saban develops a stutter...or a lithp.

Sabanball
6/6/2011, 02:39 PM
You sound awfully cocky. I hope Saban develops a stutter...or a lithp.

Really? What do you base that on? I've said all along I think it's 50-50 between you guys and us for GK.

6/6/2011, 02:46 PM
Really? What do you base that on? I've said all along I think it's 50-50 between you guys and us for GK.You sound a little too exhuberant over your love of recruiting. Rumor has it over here that the mo might now be on the side of you Bammers.

Sabanball
6/6/2011, 02:58 PM
You sound a little too exhuberant over your love of recruiting. Rumor has it over here that the mo might now be on the side of you Bammers.

I was just making a general comment about following recruiting, it wasn't regarding GK.

As for which school has the upper hand right now, I have no idea. Supposedly, he's still got at least a week to go before making a decision, and that can be an eternity for a 17 yr old. However, I've said all along that I thought he would be a slightly tougher pull for us because he won't be lining up in the shotgun and throwing it 40-50 times a game here like he would be in Norman. If he comes to Bama he'll mainly be a game manager and run a balanced run/pass attack. He has said that the type of O that he plays in is not the determining factor, so it may come down to simply which campus and atmosphere he feels most comfortable at. I hope we can get him, but he really can't go wrong with either program--he will have the chance to play for championships and a path to the NFL at both places.

Ruf/Nek7
6/7/2011, 01:15 AM
There is too much estrogen in this thread

boomersooner28
6/7/2011, 12:54 PM
There is too much estrogen in this thread

^^ This ^^

This site has really gone down hill with all the newb tards arguing all the time.

Ruf/Nek7
6/7/2011, 04:17 PM
^^ This ^^

This site has really gone down hill with all the newb tards arguing all the time.

I got on this thread hoping to get some good insight on DGB instead I get a ménage à trois of pissing and moaning. Can't we all just get along?

boomersooner28
6/9/2011, 08:06 AM
:dolemite:

mightysooner
6/15/2011, 08:44 PM
Yes my comment was directed mainly at QBs and WRs. The only big QB recruits weve had in the Stoops era were Bomar and he was a bust for us, and then Bell even though he wasnt a huge get, but a solid QB recruit. Then the list of receivers weve been in on in the last 5 or so years but lost at signing day is huge, until Metoyer. Maybe he can flip the trend.

The biggest reason we don't sign as many 5 stars as some of the other top programs is because we have to do almost all of our recruiting out of state. The state of Oklahoma isn't exactly a mother load of high school football talent whereas as CA, TX, and FL are. That's the real reason. Stoops is an excellent recruiter given that he really doesn't have a lot to pick from in-state like other programs do.

Salt City Sooner
6/17/2011, 02:39 PM
FWIW, according to the 'horn boards, DGB will be in Austin this weekend w/ his parents.

Ruf/Nek7
6/17/2011, 05:17 PM
FWIW, according to the 'horn boards, DGB will be in Austin this weekend w/ his parents.

I just read that same thing...surely he won't go there and ruin his career! On a better note, Greg Simmons has trasferred from * and rumor has it another top receiver will follow!

Muno
6/17/2011, 05:24 PM
He is visiting the Longhorns this weekend. Coming down with his parents but planning a very short trip as he is heading home on Saturday.

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/20/2011, 07:22 PM
And wheres the list? You guys clearly have some bevy of knowledge about all of these 5 star QBs and WRs that Stoops has recruited that Im just too ignorant to know about. Id really like to see this list and Ill gladly eat my crow.

not to rehash this argument, but I see what this guy is saying. although we have landed a couple 5 star guys like Bomar and Metoyer (but i guess he doesnt count) we never get 5 star QBs, WRs out of highschool. Anyway, my real point was to say that this is really astonishing. We are able to consistently win championships with guys that are supposed to be subpar out of highschool. More props to Stoops and his coaching staff, obviously great at putting pieces together.

Curly Bill
6/20/2011, 09:18 PM
not to rehash this argument, but I see what this guy is saying. although we have landed a couple 5 star guys like Bomar and Metoyer (but i guess he doesnt count) we never get 5 star QBs, WRs out of highschool. Anyway, my real point was to say that this is really astonishing. We are able to consistently win championships with guys that are supposed to be subpar out of highschool. More props to Stoops and his coaching staff, obviously great at putting pieces together.

We land mostly 4-star recruits, with some 5 and 3's mixed in. No one would consider those type players as subpar.

If we were pulling in players nobody else wanted or had very limited offers, those you might consider subpar..the 1 and 2-star, or no star types.

JLEW1818
6/20/2011, 09:28 PM
again, as long as we are bringing in top 15 classes, we will always be there.

Curly Bill
6/20/2011, 09:57 PM
again, as long as we are bringing in top 15 classes, we will always be there.

Exactly...

I just get a kick out of those that either fret we're not gonna get Joe the superstud 5-star wonderplayer, and that's gonna doom us, or if we do get him you can pencil us in for the next 4 national championships, and then on the other extreme those that make it sound like we're getting just Joe the regular guy that no one else wants, but our staff is soooooo good, we're gonna turn Joe Average into the next greatest to ever play the position.

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/20/2011, 11:16 PM
Exactly...

I just get a kick out of those that either fret we're not gonna get Joe the superstud 5-star wonderplayer, and that's gonna doom us, or if we do get him you can pencil us in for the next 4 national championships, and then on the other extreme those that make it sound like we're getting just Joe the regular guy that no one else wants, but our staff is soooooo good, we're gonna turn Joe Average into the next greatest to ever play the position.

Not exactly what I meant, I should have stated it differently...and I was talking about the 5 star QBs and WRs that bornnbred was talking about, which we RARELY EVER land. Yes I know we land them at many other positions, with a couple a year on average. Yes I know that 3 star guys arent subpar, im not sure why I said that, I should have said average recruits. (doesnt mean they are average players though).

Curly Bill
6/20/2011, 11:26 PM
I know what you're trying to say, but I'd argue we don't recruit any "average" players either. We recruit and land top-level, and sometimes elite recruits/athletes. Average players end up at places like SMU and Tulsa. At least in our football program if they are recruited to come to OU you can bet they are far from being an average player, recruit, athlete, whatever you wanna call em.

I do agree that we don't get hung up on the number of stars a players has like some programs do, Texas being the primary one that comes to mind.

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/20/2011, 11:45 PM
I know what you're trying to say, but I'd argue we don't recruit any "average" players either. We recruit and land top-level, and sometimes elite recruits/athletes. Average players end up at places like SMU and Tulsa. At least in our football program if they are recruited to come to OU you can bet they are far from being an average player, recruit, athlete, whatever you wanna call em.

I do agree that we don't get hung up on the number of stars a players has like some programs do, Texas being the primary one that comes to mind.

Thats what I meant though when I said we recruit players that are supposed to be subpar(which was a bad choice of words, I meant average). But you are completely right. I have never worried about our programs recruiting under Stoops, no matter how many "stars" our guys have. If hes got an OU scholarship, hes a good/great player.

BoulderSooner79
6/20/2011, 11:49 PM
There are not many players deemed 5 star in a given year - something like 30? Seems like it is unusually for any given team to have more than 1 per season outside of USC and Texas. 4 stars are consider top notch recruits and always have competing offers from multiple top programs. Seems half our players are 4 start these days.

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/21/2011, 12:23 AM
Heck there usually isnt even 30 on rivals, which makes your point even stronger.

Curly Bill
6/21/2011, 12:57 AM
Rivals usually has 25-30 5-stars in a given year.

In practice I haven't seen much difference in the 4 & 5 stars over time, as to which ones are more likely to turn out to be players.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/21/2011, 01:13 AM
Plus the star system is out of whack regardless. I remember a time when Notre Dame signed a guy and he went from 2 Star to 4 star in an hour. Either he had some bad *** steroids, some badass 5 hour Energy drink, or the system is totally subjective....

6/21/2011, 01:48 AM
Plus the star system is out of whack regardless. I remember a time when Notre Dame signed a guy and he went from 2 Star to 4 star in an hour. Either he had some bad *** steroids, some badass 5 hour Energy drink, or the system is totally subjective....DeMarco Murray was a 5-star before we signed him. He went to 4-star after that, and stay there, if I remember correctly.

sooner59
6/21/2011, 10:32 PM
I remember when we got his verbal. I went to youtube and saw his highlight film and my jaw dropped.

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/21/2011, 11:00 PM
I remember when we got his verbal. I went to youtube and saw his highlight film and my jaw dropped.

Ha, me too. I can only imagine what his numbers would have looked like if he had escaped injuries. Hell he already holds a few big records, and missed games due to injury and who knows if that slowed his production after. Probably the most underrated player in the Stoops era. I know everyone thinks we will be fine at RB next year, but I bet we feel his loss a lot more than we think we will.

SoonerofAlabama
6/21/2011, 11:06 PM
Murray always made big plays. Early on he had many and as he got further along in his career he had less of them, but he always made the play that needed to be done. He was always a hard worker and he fought back from injury time and again. He seemed to always have to share the ball with his fellow RBs and he didn't mind it. committe approach should equal at least one DeMarco Murray, just barely though. :D ;)

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/21/2011, 11:17 PM
Murray always made big plays. Early on he had many and as he got further along in his career he had less of them, but he always made the play that needed to be done. He was always a hard worker and he fought back from injury time and again. He seemed to always have to share the ball with his fellow RBs and he didn't mind it. committe approach should equal at least one DeMarco Murray, just barely though. :D ;)

sure hope youre right! :D

Curly Bill
6/21/2011, 11:28 PM
DeMarco Murray was a 5-star before we signed him. He went to 4-star after that, and stay there, if I remember correctly.

He'd dropped to a 4-star before we signed him.

6/22/2011, 01:15 AM
He'd dropped to a 4-star before we signed him.I guess a verbal commit to OU was good enough to lose a star, then.

Curly Bill
6/22/2011, 01:19 AM
I think it was even before he verballed to us. It was after he attended some big post season camp dealio and he wasn't super impressive, and was knocked down from a 5 to a 4-star. Up until that time he and CJ Spiller were the two big shot all-purpose backs. CJ ended up being the highest ranked of the two.

6/22/2011, 01:24 AM
I think it was even before he verballed to us. It was after he attended some big post season camp dealio and he wasn't super impressive, and was knocked down from a 5 to a 4-star. Up until that time he and CJ Spiller were the two big shot all-purpose backs. CJ ended up being the highest ranked of the two.I don't know the timing, exactly. You might be correct. I am convinced that before he was injured his redshirt freshman season against Tx Tech in Lubbock, he was as good a running back as I have ever seen at OU, with the possible exception of Marcus DuPree.

Curly Bill
6/22/2011, 02:48 AM
I don't know about that. He was pretty damn good, and who knows what he might have been without the injuries.

I've always wondered the same thing about Mike Gaddis as well, how good could he have been?

CU Sooner
6/22/2011, 07:57 AM
Mike Gaddis was a freak. I still remember him going down untouched against *. He was on his way to over 2000 yds.

Ruf/Nek7
7/1/2011, 11:45 AM
Just read some interesting news from the scoop. Things appear to be brighter and brighter for the Sooners. The main competition for DGB, is Misery and apparently they never cared to go see any of his high school games.

If this is your #1 target, i think you should have been to several by this point. I'm sure misery will attend a game this year but at this point, is it too little too late?

KNEE BRACE
7/1/2011, 05:02 PM
but at this point, is it too little too late?

hope so

OrlandoSooner
7/5/2011, 12:57 PM
Just read some interesting news from the scoop. Things appear to be brighter and brighter for the Sooners. The main competition for DGB, is Misery and apparently they never cared to go see any of his high school games.

If this is your #1 target, i think you should have been to several by this point. I'm sure misery will attend a game this year but at this point, is it too little too late?

It would be great to land this kid. Springfield to Norman isn't a bad trip at all!

Boomer!

Ruf/Nek7
7/5/2011, 04:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6735517

Just read on this chat/blog from Portland, OR that Corey Long predicts that OU is the frontrunner for DGB. For those who don't know, Portland is hosting a rather large Nike Camp for recruits and Corey Long is a High School football specialist for ESPN. This is an interesting chat that is currently going on but for those that view this at a later time, its still an interesting read.

BoulderSooner79
7/5/2011, 04:56 PM

Just read on this chat/blog from Portland, OR that Corey Long predicts that OU is the frontrunner for DGB. For those who don't know, Portland is hosting a rather large Nike Camp for recruits and Corey Long is a High School football specialist for ESPN. This is an interesting chat that is currently going on but for those that view this at a later time, its still an interesting read.

Recruiting + Oregon + Nike. Why does this scare me? At least the name Willie Lyles didn't come up.

westbrooke
7/5/2011, 05:59 PM

Thanks for this link. I scanned for mentions of OU. Long also says:

OL Patrick Miller will take an official visit here and UNC, already been to Auburn and LSU.
He names Kiel the top QB in the class (says Winston is the "most versatile QB" in a follow-up) but wouldn't speculate on where he'll end up.
Picked OU and Bama for the championship game.

Ruf/Nek7
7/5/2011, 06:04 PM

OL Patrick Miller will take an official visit here and UNC, already been to Auburn and LSU.
He names Kiel the top QB in the class (says Winston is the "most versatile QB" in a follow-up) but wouldn't speculate on where he'll end up.

Yes, I did fail to mention all of this. I think it was great that OU got some talk there considering it looked like SEC and Michigan was talk of the town.

Another mention of OU was from Jonathan Gray...the question "Can UT knock off the Sooners this year?" Gray: "Of course"
This kid is delusional!

OrlandoSooner
7/5/2011, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the additional info. I've looked around and none of the sites (free) show Patrick Miller on OU's radar. Good info.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/6/2011, 08:33 AM
Another mention of OU was from Jonathan Gray...the question "Can UT knock off the Sooners this year?" Gray: "Of course"
This kid is delusional!

What did you expect his answer to be? ...Naw, maybe by my Junior or Senior year we should be ready. We gotta find a QB and our O-Line sucks. :rolleyes:

Ruf/Nek7
7/6/2011, 09:39 AM
What did you expect his answer to be? ...Naw, maybe by my Junior or Senior year we should be ready. We gotta find a QB and our O-Line sucks. :rolleyes:

Is that asking too much? Sheesh

yankee
7/6/2011, 01:23 PM
Yes, I did fail to mention all of this. I think it was great that OU got some talk there considering it looked like SEC and Michigan was talk of the town.

This kid is delusional!

That wasn't a delusional answer. Of course ut can beat OU. It is unlikely though.

Jacie
7/9/2011, 11:21 AM

http://recruitoftheweek.yahoo.com/

According to the talking heads on this video, Bama, not Mizzou, is the other leading contender for DGB, with OU considered the front runner. Bottom line, it ain't over till he signs . . .

Ruf/Nek7
7/9/2011, 08:22 PM
Well missery is holding on to the fact they got DGB and their newest QB committ, Mauk, together. They all think that makes them the front runner. I still believe we are the team to beat.

SoonerofAlabama
7/9/2011, 08:26 PM
Oh darn well I guess Misery has it locked up, someone tell Bob Stoops to stop recruiting DGB, its over. ;) :D

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/10/2011, 10:27 AM
Oh darn well I guess Misery has it locked up, someone tell Bob Stoops to stop recruiting DGB, its over. ;) :D

Aww man :rolleyes:

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/10/2011, 10:33 AM
Mizzou thinks they lead for every 5 star in the nation

They might be more delirious than Boone state

Ruf/Nek7
7/10/2011, 11:47 AM
Nothing wrong with wishful thinking;)

Sabanball
7/10/2011, 06:02 PM
I'm also hearing that this is another OU/Bama horse race, with you guys having a slight lead.

IronHorseSooner
7/11/2011, 11:27 AM
If we get DGB, this is what OUr 2012 and 2013 WR/TE line-up would be:

Stills
Franks
McCay
Reynolds
Metoyer
McClain
Jackson
DGB
Neal
Shepherd
Haywood
Stephenson
Harlow

Just let that sink in for a minute!!!!!!!

7/11/2011, 12:55 PM

Stills
Franks
McCay
Reynolds
Metoyer
McClain
Jackson
DGB
Neal
Shepherd
Haywood
Stephenson
Harlow

Just let that sink in for a minute!!!!!!!Some mightgo to defense, and could be stars there.

Ruf/Nek7
7/11/2011, 02:00 PM

Stills
Franks
McCay
Reynolds
Metoyer
McClain
Jackson
DGB
Neal
Shepherd
Haywood
Stephenson
Harlow

Did you put these guys in order of your own personal ranking? Is this your depth chart?

Muno
7/11/2011, 08:16 PM

Stills
Franks
McCay
Reynolds
Metoyer
McClain
Jackson
DGB
Neal
Shepherd
Haywood
Stephenson
Harlow

With the exception of 2 players looks like a lot of unproven talent to me.

owenfieldreams
7/11/2011, 09:28 PM
All talent is unproven until it steps on the field. Ryan Broyles and Mark Clayton were "unproven".

Surely out of this group, someone will prove themselves.....ya think?

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/12/2011, 06:06 AM
All talent is unproven until it steps on the field. Ryan Broyles and Mark Clayton were "unproven".

Surely out of this group, someone will prove themselves.....ya think?

Well one has already proven to be a future star (Stills) and another looks like he has the makeup of a star receiver (Franks).

owenfieldreams
7/12/2011, 06:42 AM
I'm thinking you'll see another name added to this list, at least on a part time basis.....Roy Finch.

I'm betting we use him much the same way USC used Reggie Bush and that means Roy in the slot on occasion. If we go 4-wide w/2 slot receivers and a one-back set, Finch and Broyles as bookend slots is a beautiful thing to contemplate.

With the backfield depth we have and assuming Brandon Williams is the real deal, a Clay/Williams rotation in the backfield with Finch either in the diamond or in the slot, and Broyles on the opposite side, we are lethal.

roy22forheisman
7/19/2011, 01:02 PM
i bet shepard mcclain and jackson could all play defense...maybe franks but he should be slot

roy22forheisman
7/19/2011, 01:02 PM
and this year i can really see clay in the slot....

SyN
7/22/2011, 02:50 PM

Mad Dog Madsen
7/22/2011, 03:44 PM

Damn you! I thought I was going to find some exciting news on DGB... :mad:

SyN
7/22/2011, 03:49 PM
Sorry!!! Just home from work and went to rivals... To check on a top rated DE possibilities for OU, of course that was shot to He11... Then I seen the video of rivals talking about him, and they thought he would commit to OU... I posted the URL, then seen that it had already been posted... I just hope... That prediction doesn't jinks us on getting him... Just throw the ball up and let him go get it....

Mad Dog Madsen
7/22/2011, 03:51 PM
You turned red pretty quick... :eek: Looks like someone else didn't like it very much either. :(

trwxxa
8/22/2011, 08:47 PM
You can watch the kid Saturday night at 8pm on ESPNU.

You'll have to take a shot each time the announcers say he is being recruited by Texas

Herr Scholz
8/24/2011, 06:50 PM
You can watch the kid Saturday night at 8pm on ESPNU.

You'll have to take a shot each time the announcers say he is being recruited by Texas
We are on his final list of 5. Long shot but just sayin. He's got a good relationship with our new WR coach Darrell Wyatt. And we'll be getting an official visit.

Ruf/Nek7
8/24/2011, 07:20 PM
We are on his final list of 5. Long shot but just sayin. He's got a good relationship with our new WR coach Darrell Wyatt. And we'll be getting an official visit.

If he committed, he would just transfer 2 years later.

Curly Bill
8/24/2011, 09:12 PM
Now if you guys only had a QB that didn't suck massively to throw to him.

Herr Scholz
8/24/2011, 10:59 PM
Now if you guys only had a QB that didn't suck massively to throw to him.
Yeah, we'll only have 5 QBs on our roster next year. I'm sure there's no talent there when DGB will show up. Or this year for that matter. Great point.

Curly Bill
8/24/2011, 11:57 PM
Yeah, we'll only have 5 QBs on our roster next year. I'm sure there's no talent there when DGB will show up. Or this year for that matter. Great point.

Who cares how many you have if they all suck, and there's been no proof offered that any of em don't.

Fraggle145
8/26/2011, 12:35 PM
Nice article from ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/6892390/dorial-green-beckham-nation-top-receiver-a-lot-stays-positive

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Steam rises from patches of wet grass on the ragged practice field behind Hoyt Shumate Stadium as the mid-morning August sun perches over Hillcrest High School, barely a cloud in sight.

The temperature pushes 85 degrees already, and the humidity reading isn't far off. It's a slight reprieve from the triple digits of July but stifling nonetheless. Coach John Beckham cuts short his three-and-a-half-hour practice, calling together a tired bunch of offensive players to hear a final message in this week before classes resume and the football season opens.

Just then, a striking figure emerges from the far end of the field. He doesn't appear to fit here, standing a head taller than almost everyone and seemingly cut from stone at 220 pounds. A blue belt hangs over his shirtless shoulders, practice jersey in his left hand as the 18-year-old wide receiver walks slowly toward his teammates.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0824/recruit_e_green_beckham_b1_200.jpg

Many on this field came from backgrounds similar to Dorial Green-Beckham, their families shredded by poverty and drug abuse, but he has risen above it all -- literally, at 6-foot-6 -- to earn his spot as perhaps the most prized recruit in the nation and the best high school athlete anyone has ever watched in Southwest Missouri.

"Around here," said Darrell Johnson, Hillcrest athletic director, "we don't see the full package very often."

Green-Beckham is the full package and more.

A complex mix of triumph and tragedy, love and abandonment, resiliency and rejection, Green-Beckham is a proud son, dedicated brother, elite athlete and coveted target of every major college football program.

Experts say he's the next Randy Moss or A.J. Green, though he's built more like Calvin Johnson, arguably the most physically imposing receiver in the NFL.

One more thing: "He's a high school senior," said John Beckham, the Hillcrest coach and Dorial's adoptive father. "I tell my kids the worst thing about being that age is that you're stupid, but you don't realize you're stupid.

"He's a typical teenager."

People forget, because so much else defines Dorial Green-Beckham.

More than foster parents

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0824/recruit_e_beckhams_b2_300.jpg

Several years ago, before Dorial and Darnell, his younger brother by two-and-a-half years, came to live with John and Tracy Beckham, another set of brothers stayed with the coach and his wife.
One day, John, while traveling, got a phone call from the younger one -- hysterical. His big brother, an eighth-grader from a broken home, urinated on him.

John rolls his eyes at the memory.

He said he'd deal with it when he got home. But when John returned to Springfield, the older boy had packed his bags.

"Without anybody saying anything to him," John said, "he knew he was leaving."

John sat down with the boy and explained that no one wanted him out. Every family faces problems, he said.

"That's the culture we deal with," John said. "Their dad was on meth. He would just leave for weeks; ended up in jail. We see a lot of kids like that."

John and Tracy Beckham have fostered about 20 children over the past two decades. They've adopted five -- soon to be six, with the addition of 17-year-old Scott Smith, a senior linebacker at Hillcrest who landed with the Beckhams last year when forced to leave his family in nearby Webb City, Mo.

In addition to the foster children and adoptive cases, dozens more have lived at the Beckham's three-bedroom home. And countless others show up periodically for a meal or comfort.

John and Tracy don't turn away kids.

"They're great people," Dorial said.

And Springfield is full of kids who need help. At Hillcrest, principal Jay Rush said, 70 to 75 percent of the students face some form of poverty.

"The myth is that we're a suburban school," Rush said. "The reality is that we sit in a suburban location, but we're an inner-city school.

"We have a great bunch of kids here. They try very hard, show up every day and persevere through some circumstances that would make a lot of us shudder."

Culturally, the city of nearly 160,000, Missouri's third largest, sits at a crossroads -- 55 miles from the Arkansas border and 75 from Oklahoma. With its red dirt and parking lots full of pickup trucks, Springfield feels more like Little Rock than Kansas City, a three-hour drive north.

Some have called it the nation's northernmost southern city.

Dorial walked an equally fine line between success and failure. John and Tracy nudged him the right way.

"They're the key to everything," Rush said.

John, 49, and Tracy, 48, met in 1981 after he moved from Miami. They married in 1984 and started raising cattle. Soon, the couple learned they couldn't have children, so they investigated adoption.

In 1987, Sarah was the first. She's now 23 and on track to graduate from college.
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0824/recruit_e_dorial_sarah_b1_200.jpg

Rick, 22, arrived next. Then the onslaught of foster children arrived.

"When I see these kids, there's something in my heart that tells me I need to fix this," Tracy said. "We don't spend time worrying about it. We just take them. When you've been in this system long enough, you know there is not another person waiting in line behind you."

Life at the Beckhams is never dull.

The grocery bill? About $600 a week, according to John.

"At least," said Tracy.

They go through two gallons of milk a day and a box of cereal in 10 minutes.

"I'm sure most people think we're completely nuts," John said. "And we are completely nuts. But we don't take being foster parents lightly."

Tracy, a Hillcrest graduate, drives more than four hours round trip to her job as the lone anesthetist at Salem Memorial District Hospital in Salem, Mo.

She worked several years ago in Joplin, Mo., at St. John's Regional Medical Center, which was destroyed May 22 in a massive tornado. Tracy knows dozens of people afflicted by the disaster and wishes she could do more to assist.

Basically, all she does is help people -- at work and at home.

Rush describes John and Tracy as "humble servants."

Still, Johnson, the Hillcrest athletic director, said he defends the Beckhams to people who rush to judgment upon learning that the family adopted Dorial, the star athlete.

"They think it looks like this is the end of the master plan," Johnson said, "like it's all coming together."

Far from it.

Dorial and Darnell, the middle two of Charmelle Green's six children, shuttled often between their native St. Louis and Springfield as young boys.

"Growing up," Dorial said, "we didn't have choices."

They lived in group homes, basements, tiny apartments and hotels before John and Tracy had seen enough in 2005.

Charmelle Green's two older boys, Sam and Vincent, had also spent time with the Beckhams, but the couple was reluctant to take on more as Tracy battled thyroid cancer.

In the end, they couldn't say no.

"It was scary, but you just have to keep on going," Tracy said. "You can't put people's lives on hold. Those boys were in a seriously bad situation. Pretty soon, they were going to be a bunch of kids where everybody wondered what happened to them."

Life, she said, is never convenient.

The Beckhams failed to establish a feeling of trust with Sam. He's since been in and out of rehab. Dorial's oldest brother, Vincent, is in prison. Neither of them graduated from high school. Their mother, Charmelle, has also spent time in jail, though Dorial maintains a relationship with her.

John said the Beckhams got to Dorial "just in time," at age 13.

"There's a trust factor," John said. "When you get a kid who's been in countless bad situations, it takes time."

In the middle of it all, Tracy got pregnant, a shock.

Eliza Grace was born in June 2005, the Beckhams' only biological child.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0824/recruit_e_beckham11_300.jpg

Dorial can't get enough of the little girl. He walks in the door at home and goes right to her. And she loves to watch him play football. Her first opportunity of the school year comes Saturday, when Hillcrest faces Seneca High School at Missouri Southern's Hughes Stadium in Joplin. The game, at 9 p.m. ET, will be televised on ESPNU.

Win or lose, Eliza's happy if she gets a seat on the team bus.

Back in Springfield, she'll head home with the Beckham gang: 21-year-old Mikael Cooper-Falls, Dorial, 18-year-old Quiandre Robinson, Scott, Darnell and Malachi, 13, who was adopted at 6 weeks old.

But even under that cozy roof, all is not well.

Continued in next post...

Fraggle145
8/26/2011, 12:36 PM
Continued...

Celebration on hold
John and Tracy Beckham looked at their calendar at the start of 2011 and figured this year would rank as the busiest of their hectic lives -- what with the pressure-packed decision about Dorial's college future to loom large.
They had no idea.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0824/recruit_e_beckham12_200.jpg

In February, 15-year-old Darnell, a superior athlete in his own right and a varsity basketball player as a freshman, complained of pain in his hip. It spread across his pelvis, and a few days later, Darnell limped into his father's office at Hillcrest. He could hardly walk.

Hours later, an ambulance raced Darnell and Tracy to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, 500 miles from Springfield.

Doctors quickly diagnosed him with acute lymphoblastic leukemia.

Cancer.

He faced more than three months of intense treatment. John took a leave of absence from school. They lived at the Ronald McDonald House in Memphis.

"It just hit us out of nowhere," John said. "That first week, I couldn't believe it was happening. I was in a daze."

Darnell's prognosis is excellent, but he required 120 weeks of treatment after the initial induction phase. He's got 108 left.

"We get caught up in what we think are problems," said Rush, the high school principal. "But what I'm worried about just isn't a problem after that."

Darnell takes chemotherapy daily and receives treatment every Tuesday in Springfield. He's set for an extended trip to Memphis in September for re-induction, another painful period before his quality of life should improve.

But it's excruciating now, with seemingly no end in sight. Darnell hoped to make it back to the football team by the end of this year. That looks unlikely. Basketball is doubtful, too, for another year.

Tracy said she had to drag him to get his team photo taken last week.

"He wouldn't even put on his pads," she said. "It breaks your heart. But I think with these things, there's a bigger picture."

Darnell's condition hit Dorial hard. This year was supposed to be a celebration for the family. Instead, they suffer with Darnell. Some master plan.

"He knows I'm there for him," Dorial said. "It's just hard to have him in my thoughts like that and to think that he has cancer."

At St. Jude, Darnell and the Beckhams met Shon Coleman, an Auburn offensive linemen. He was diagnosed with the same type of leukemia shortly after signing with the Tigers in 2010. Coleman's progress provides hope for Darnell.

And the Beckhams notice change in Dorial's little brother, too. When he moved into the house, Darnell was angry. Slowly, his mood lightened -- even after the leukemia diagnosis.

"He's a totally different kid," Tracy said.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0824/recrt_adoption_sy_300.jpg

Darnell has grown closer with his parents in the past seven months, they said. He posts encouraging words on Facebook and travels with Dorial to visit college campuses when possible -- even got to meet Alabama coach Nick Saban. This fall, he's back at Hillcrest.

There's something else to consider. If the Beckhams hadn't adopted Dorial and Darnell in December 2009, at the request of the boys, Darnell would have faced a more circuitous path, as foster parents are denied some rights in making medical decisions about children in their care.

"We're just very fortunate," John Beckham said.

Fortunate?

"It gives our life purpose," he said. "We feel like we benefit from this more than the kids."

A legend is born
The moment when it all became clear occurred not on a dusty, Southwest Missouri football field, but at glitzy Mizzou Arena in March 2010.
The Hillcrest basketball team trailed Oakville of St. Louis late in the Class 5 title game when Dorial took over. His 10 points, five rebounds and two blocked shots in the final 4:17 secured a state championship and established his legend.

And he doesn't recall much of it.

"I know I was in my own mindset," Dorial said. "I was zoned out, just playing. I remember dribbling through everybody."

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0824/recruit_e_beckham14_200.jpg

Isn't that how it works for the most special athletes? Their greatness comes so naturally, they don't even know it is happening. Dorial has accumulated 181 receptions in three seasons for 4,120 yards and 51 touchdowns, but he counts only one catch as a worthy highlight -- his first one.

"We knew he was going to be a good player, but we didn't know how good," Hillcrest offensive coordinator Andy McFarland said. "So we ran him on a go, first play after the kickoff in the first game of his freshman year."

Dorial went up to grab Mitchell Jenkins' throw 45 yards downfield. Touchdown. The game at West Plains marked perhaps the only time in high school he's faced single coverage, McFarland said.

After that catch, it's a blur to Dorial. Others won't soon forget his achievements.

"I remember he looked like a college player as a freshman," said Will Christian, coach at rival Lebanon High School. "When we assessed them on tape, I thought he was a big, athletic kid. But when we saw them live, I could not believe how huge his legs are. And when you watch him run his routes, he's so fluid and effortless.

"That's the thing you see really in special athletes; they almost look like they're loafing."

Those legs propelled Dorial to dunk as a seventh-grader. He won the 100-meter dash at the state track meet as a sophomore and placed first in the triple jump without more than a handful of practice attempts all year.

He runs the 40-yard dash in 4.37 seconds.

Two years ago, the Lebanon defense often committed three players against Dorial. He scored four touchdowns.

"None of it worked," Christian said.

McFarland said he's impressed by the tenacity with which Dorial blocks. The coach has not once seen a defender successfully jam Dorial in press coverage.

"There's never been anything like him here," said Johnson, the Hillcrest A.D., and a graduate of the school. "He's just a kid who happens to be very large and very fast. And he's pretty smart, too."

Not prepared, though, to decipher all that college recruiters throw at him.

The Beckhams have filled four cabinets at home with mail from football programs. Last week at school, he received four items in one day from Florida State, three from Oregon and Tennessee, two from Missouri, Alabama, Texas A&M, Texas and East Carolina and one apiece from North Carolina State, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Florida.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0824/recruit_e_beckham13_200.jpg

John said he expected another pile just like it at home.

Every day.

"If it was another kid, I wouldn't have as much control," John said. "But with Dorial, he's also my son, so I have a little more say in how I want the process to go. I've been around long enough. I've seen the dog and pony shows. I just don't want it to be that way. That's not how we do things as a family."

Dorial could grant five interviews a day if he said yes to everyone, his father said.

"I understand there are people out there who want information," John said, "but we're not going to let it take over."

Despite Darnell's condition, the family made several recruiting trips this year. Dorial enjoyed the visits. He met former college stars Sam Bradford and Jermaine Greshman at Oklahoma, Colt McCoy at Texas and Julio Jones at Alabama, not to mention the coaches.

He's also visited Arkansas, Auburn and Missouri, which started recruiting him before the others. He mentioned those six schools last week, plus Ole Miss, Florida State and Florida. The Gators, by the way, sent offensive coordinator Charlie Weis to Springfield recently. He spent eight hours at the school.

Dorial said he plans to narrow his list to about five by Sept. 1, when coaches can call prospects once a week.

"I think he's close," John said. "Could there be six or seven? Yeah, but we don't want 15 calling."

How and when will it end?

John said he doesn't know. "We'll cross that bridge later on, but I want him to be able to have some fun."

But it's not all fun. The Beckhams visited Fayetteville and the Arkansas campus last week for a news conference to promote Hillcrest's Sept. 1 game at Razorback Stadium against Rogers Heritage High School.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0824/recruit_e_dorial_run_b1_200.jpg

After the news conference, John, Tracy and the kids stopped for pizza. As soon as they walked in the door, Dorial said, people were on their phones, talking and texting about him.

The attention makes him uncomfortable.

"Every step that I take, I feel like somebody's watching me," Dorial said. "I'm going to have to get used to it eventually. But some days, it's tough. There can be a group of people, and I just have to leave."

He's back in Springfield now, firmly inside his comfort zone.

Life awaits. It's never an easy road for him, but Dorial enters the next chapter as a product of his environment -- more prepared to face challenges because of his experiences.

The last player to leave the practice field on that steamy morning, he passes over grass scorched by the summer heat and into the stadium toward the Hillcrest locker room.

At his side walks John Beckham. They're talking quietly. About recruiting or another of the kids. Maybe the big game in Joplin on Saturday night.

It doesn't matter, really. What matters is this: It's the first place Dorial Green-Beckham has ever known as home.

Mitch Sherman is a senior writer for ESPN.com. He can be reached at [email protected].
Follow Mitch Sherman on Twitter: @mitchsherman

Herr Scholz
8/26/2011, 05:07 PM
Who cares how many you have if they all suck, and there's been no proof offered that any of em don't.
Even if Gilbert stinks it up again this year, we'll have Ash and Brewer next year to fight it out. I think we'll be able to find one out of that 5.

Curly Bill
8/26/2011, 11:29 PM
That's like OU last year saying that out of all our kickers one of em could do the job. Quantity is no indicator of quality.

8timechamps
8/27/2011, 06:09 PM
Curly has a valid point...it's not like there was an abundance of talent to fall back from, at least none proven last year.

Herr Scholz
8/27/2011, 06:53 PM
Gilbert, Wood, Ash and Brewer were all highly rated. It's not just quantity. But you're right, nothing proven on the college field at this point.

Sooner_Tuf
8/27/2011, 10:03 PM
I'd say Gilbert has proven himself on the college field. The fact that Wood, Ash, and Brewer haven't cleared the bar is also telling. Considering the bar Gilbert has set is about as low as it can get.

StoopTroup
8/28/2011, 10:53 AM
I think it comes down to...whether or not you've had to fight yourself out of an alley or not.

northspeter
8/29/2011, 06:48 PM
all sorts of rumors out of austin have connor brewer transfering...

Herr Scholz
8/30/2011, 10:12 PM
all sorts of rumors out of austin have connor brewer transfering...
Conner Wood. Brewer comes next year.

SoonerAtKU
8/31/2011, 11:08 AM
Gilbert, Wood, Ash and Brewer were all highly rated. It's not just quantity. But you're right, nothing proven on the college field at this point.

Have you all officially given up hope on McCoy-Shipley 2.0?

Sooner_Tuf
8/31/2011, 09:20 PM
Have you all officially given up hope on McCoy-Shipley 2.0?

Are these two room mates? I am dying to know. You know there dads were back in the day. At another school though.

northspeter
8/31/2011, 10:09 PM
my bad... apparently wood has already enrolled at colorado...

NOVSooner
9/19/2011, 02:44 PM
any word if DGB will be attending the game this weekend in Norman?

MojoRisen
9/20/2011, 10:03 AM
With Mizzou and OU high on his radar - I would think he would be at the game. More reason to smoke these guys! Hope Landry puts up some big numbers this week through 4 Quarters 400 Plus yards 5 TD's

SCxxSOONER
9/20/2011, 11:43 AM
I hope we can get this guy, imagine DGB and stills lining up throw in metoyer and franks and thats gonna be a tough matchup for anyone

NOVSooner
9/22/2011, 09:20 AM
DGB will not be in attendance for this game. Guess he's waiting on another game for his visit.

northspeter
9/22/2011, 05:35 PM
heard james hale this morning say DGB is not taking officials till after the season... and likely wont committ till signing day or even after..

9/22/2011, 05:40 PM
heard james hale this morning say DGB is not taking officials till after the season... and likely wont committ till signing day or even after..Dude must be OVERWHELMED with attention and pressure!

northspeter
9/22/2011, 05:52 PM
he does have a final 5 of OU, Mizzou, Alabama, Arkansas... and i didnt hear the 5th team...

8timechamps
9/22/2011, 09:02 PM
I'd think any recruit that watched last Saturday's game moved OU up on the list. At least I would, but then again, I'm old and slow...and nobody's recruiting me.

DakotaSooner
9/27/2011, 02:26 PM
Any big time reciever that comes in is going to get recognized at OU....the history with the QB's is there the last 10 years. If anything they will get you drafted higher than you probably should have....

SportsForce
10/5/2011, 04:20 PM
If we don't land DBG we should look at Tremund Moore out of Brenham. Kid is a speedster that can help stretch the field with Stills. You can check out his highlights below, 2nd from top and see if he's worth a shot as a Sooner.

http://tinyurl.com/3he7kwa

swardboy
10/11/2011, 11:59 AM
Home (http://www.ky3.com/) > News (http://www.ky3.com/news)

Hillcrest's Dorial Green-Beckham close to breaking national high school football record

http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2011-10/227523920-11084808.jpg Dorial Green-Beckham on unofficial visit at the Auburn vs. Arkansas game (October 8, 2011)

Chris Replogle, KY3 News [email protected] 9:47 a.m. CDT, October 11, 2011

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - Hillcrest High School's Dorial Green-Beckham is close to catching a national high school football (http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-hillcrests-dorial-greenbeckham-close-to-breaking-national-high-school-football-record-20111011,0,4797040.story#) record.
The country's top rated receiver is only 369 yards away from breaking Abram Booty's career record for receivingyardshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif (http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-hillcrests-dorial-greenbeckham-close-to-breaking-national-high-school-football-record-20111011,0,4797040.story#) at 5,867. Hillcrest's has at least three games left this, possibly more if the 6-1 Hornets advance to the state playoffs. Booty starred in the early 1990's at high school powerhouse Evangel Christian in Shreveport, Louisiana.
The 6'6" 220 pound Green-Beckham had his best high school game of his career, catching 13 passes for 354 yards and three touchdown's in Hillcrest's 40-19 victory over Rolla last Friday night. That yardage total sets a new Missouri high school record for most receiving yards in a single game.
Green-Beckham has caught 73 passes for 1,378 yards and 14 touchdowns passes in his senior season.
The top target of several schools remains quiet on his final list of choices. He visited the University of Arkansas for last Saturday's win against Auburn.

MO_Sooner
10/14/2011, 10:40 PM
Stoops and Norvell were in Springfield, MO tonight to watch DGB. Petrino from Arkansas was there also.

OU-HSV
10/16/2011, 01:19 AM
Stoops and Norvell were in Springfield, MO tonight to watch DGB. Petrino from Arkansas was there also.That's good, I'm glad they were there. We need to throw everything his way that is legal with the NCAA

Jason Alexander
10/17/2011, 01:54 AM
That was him on an unofficial visit? Anytime I'm given a laminated badge to wear around my neck, I wave it around bragging about how official I am.

SoonerofAlabama
10/30/2011, 04:30 PM
He broke the record. 11 receptions, 303 Yds. and 4 TDs in the game. After the game he announced his top 2 schools were OU and Arkansas.

TahoeSOONER
10/31/2011, 04:06 AM
He broke the record. 11 receptions, 303 Yds. and 4 TDs in the game. After the game he announced his top 2 schools were OU and Arkansas.

Oklahoma is sitting pretty if that's the case. Play for Championships or hear soweeeee pig for four years winning nothing big.

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2011, 10:00 AM
Oklahoma is sitting pretty if that's the case. Play for Championships or hear soweeeee pig for four years winning nothing big.

Finally, a big time player that doesn't have Bama on their list. Doesn't mean he won't end up there though.

10/31/2011, 12:54 PM
Finally, a big time player that doesn't have Bama on their list. Doesn't mean he won't end up there though.Bammer needs a loss, but I would NOT like to play the tigerbaits in one of their home stadia, ie the NOLA Superdome.

Sabanball
10/31/2011, 04:58 PM
Finally, a big time player that doesn't have Bama on their list. Doesn't mean he won't end up there though.

Don't worry, he's not coming to Bama.

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2011, 10:00 PM
Don't worry, he's not coming to Bama.

I'm not worried; but he could still end up at Bama. ;)

MO_Sooner
11/3/2011, 01:26 PM
Went and watched his first round playoff game. His stats weren't great b/c the opposing team had him double and triple covered for the entire game. There were some passes thrown to him that when the ball was in the air he had 4 DB's around him. Most of the time he was double covered. They would sometimes put two guys in press coverage on him. One on his inside and on on his outside with a safety over the top. DGB lined up at QB on the first play and took the snap and ran for 22 yds hurdling a defender along the way. The young man is the real deal!!

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20111103/SPORTS0101/111030377/Ground-game-carries-Hillcrest-past-St-Clair?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

OrlandoSooner
11/4/2011, 09:26 AM
Went and watched his first round playoff game. His stats weren't great b/c the opposing team had him double and triple covered for the entire game. There were some passes thrown to him that when the ball was in the air he had 4 DB's around him. Most of the time he was double covered. They would sometimes put two guys in press coverage on him. One on his inside and on on his outside with a safety over the top. DGB lined up at QB on the first play and took the snap and ran for 22 yds hurdling a defender along the way. The young man is the real deal!!

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20111103/SPORTS0101/111030377/Ground-game-carries-Hillcrest-past-St-Clair?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Thanks for the update.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/8/2011, 10:56 AM
Just thought I'd let yall know that I DON'T have an update... :teapot:

MO_Sooner
11/8/2011, 03:10 PM
Here's his latest game. Their run may come to an end because they face the best team in the state on Saturday.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20111108/SPORTS0101/111080362/Defense-closes-Hillcrest

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/14/2011, 07:56 PM
I was at the Hillcrest -Webb City game Sat. (WC won 49-0). He was pretty much shut down but he never really had a chance. QB for Hillcrest didn't have time to get him the ball. He is a freaking monster though. He is probably going to work on reducing his # of drops but his combo of size/speed is amazing. He basically looks like Calvin Johnson playing in a high school game.

In a related note I think Neal is likely to make an impact next year. If we can line up both of those guys on the field..LOOK OUT!

Mad Dog Madsen
11/17/2011, 04:26 PM
oudavid just told me that Arkansas has a big time lead to land DGB's services...

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/17/2011, 10:02 PM
Rumor here is that Arkansas may offer DGB's stepdad a coaching job. I do think Arkansas is probably leading but I very much think OU still has a good shot.

picasso
11/17/2011, 11:41 PM
Arkansas? Good God.

Soonerjeepman
11/18/2011, 12:59 PM
Rumor here is that Arkansas may offer DGB's stepdad a coaching job. I do think Arkansas is probably leading but I very much think OU still has a good shot.

I see this and THANK God everyday Stoops is OU's coach...he doesn't do this crap...

Mad Dog Madsen
11/18/2011, 02:29 PM

I see this and THANK God everyday Stoops is OU's coach...he doesn't do this crap...

IIRC didn't Stoops offer Jackson Jeffcoat's dad a job???

Herr Scholz
11/18/2011, 09:51 PM
DGB and family will be in Austin this weekend for the KSU game, FYI. Probably an outside shot at best. We'll see.

11/19/2011, 12:41 AM
DGB and family will be in Austin this weekend for the KSU game, FYI. Probably an outside shot at best. We'll see.Mildcats are gonna getcha!

Herr Scholz
11/19/2011, 02:29 AM
Mildcats are gonna getcha!
Would be 4 in a row.

RiddlerOK
11/19/2011, 08:39 AM
I'll be glad when this one is over......dragging out way tooo long!

LakeRat
12/13/2011, 04:36 PM
IIRC didn't Stoops offer Jackson Jeffcoat's dad a job???

They were going to a couple years before he was a senior. He didn't want to move while son was in school. Logical to offer again. He chose to stay where he was. Had nothing to do with Jackson.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/13/2011, 06:01 PM
They were going to a couple years before he was a senior. He didn't want to move while son was in school. Logical to offer again. He chose to stay where he was. Had nothing to do with Jackson.

It had nothing to do with the #1 DE and one of the best HS players in the country? Now that doesn't seem right. lol.

Sooner74
12/14/2011, 01:47 AM
Well if y'all offer me a job, I offer my services to the Sooner squad. In what respect, who knows? I would probably make a decent towel boy if given the chance.

boomersooner28
12/17/2011, 08:49 AM
DGB cancelled his trip to Norman this weekend, citing fatigue as his reason. He has been in NYC for football related activities.

OU-HSV
12/18/2011, 11:05 AM
DGB cancelled his trip to Norman this weekend, citing fatigue as his reason. He has been in NYC for football related activities.Well that sucks

12/18/2011, 01:39 PM
K-State needs to put a pounding on the Soopigs!

Sabanball
12/18/2011, 09:01 PM
Any word if he is going to reschedule his OV to Norman?

If the kid wants to catch 80-100 balls/yr he'll opt for you guys and the Big 12. Even in Petrino's pass-happy O he'll top out at 45-55 catches/touches season and have to deal with much more aggressive Pass D's.

BoulderSooner79
12/18/2011, 11:48 PM
Any word if he is going to reschedule his OV to Norman?

If the kid wants to catch 80-100 balls/yr he'll opt for you guys and the Big 12. Even in Petrino's pass-happy O he'll top out at 45-55 catches/touches season and have to deal with much more aggressive Pass D's.

If the fans get their way, OU will run the Belldozer 60 times/game and DBG would be a blocking TE.

:P

12/19/2011, 01:05 AM
"If the fans get their way, OU will run the Belldozer 60 times/game and DGB would be a blocking TE."-Bobby Petrino

:P 'bout right, Bobby.haha

northspeter
12/19/2011, 05:27 PM
dgb and diggs both rescheduled for january... i believe the final visit for both...

Herr Scholz
12/19/2011, 08:13 PM
UT in the mix. We've had 2 visits and an in home visit. Mario seems to like us too.

12/19/2011, 08:26 PM
UT in the mix. We've had 2 visits and an in home visit. Mario seems to like us too.One could hardly blame either of them. They'll get all that top notch coaching down there!

Sabanball
12/19/2011, 09:37 PM
With Metoyer, Neal, and Woods already in the fold you guys already have an excellent WR class--with that kind of recruiting haul, I just wonder if DGB would rather be a bigger fish in a small pond @ Arkie. Over on some of the other boards, the hog folks seem to think they have the inside track now.

Herr Scholz
12/19/2011, 11:30 PM
One could hardly blame either of them. They'll get all that top notch coaching down there!
We have more NFL players than you, sport, including RBs, QBs and...wait for it...WRs. !!

Herr Scholz
12/19/2011, 11:31 PM
Inside Texas had a discussion with somebody supposedly in the know regarding DGB. they wouldn't name source though so take quote below for what it's worth.

----------------------

"I'd say both (Texas/Arky) are sitting in the drivers seat. As far as Texas goes, it's looking good for them. Dorial and his family have been very impressed with the Texas coaches, especially Coach (Darrel) Wyatt. He's been up here a lot and they really like him."

picasso
12/20/2011, 12:27 AM
We have more NFL players than you, sport, including RBs, QBs and...wait for it...WRs. !!
Which doesn't necessarily mean they were coached up. You've done less with more the last 2 seasons. No?

Herr Scholz
12/20/2011, 12:53 AM
No. We didn't start #1 and not win any sort of title. I think that's a bigger fall. Our program is going through transition. We're headed in the right direction.

12/20/2011, 01:04 AM
Which doesn't necessarily mean they were coached up. You've done less with more the last 2 seasons. No?The cows recruit great, better than most top tier schools, then their players take a 4 yr breather, then some of them go to the NFL and learn how to develop and use their talent. no mystery.

12/20/2011, 01:11 AM
No. We didn't start #1 and not win any sort of title. I think that's a bigger fall. Our program is going through transition. We're headed in the right direction.You and the Bammer guy oughta go fight it out on an aTm board, or Allburn or someplace more suitable.

picasso
12/20/2011, 09:02 AM
No. We didn't start #1 and not win any sort of title. I think that's a bigger fall. Our program is going through transition. We're headed in the right direction.
Yeah, and you're obviously in complete denial about our key injuries this season. That Ryan Broyles was no Mike Davis coming out of high school eh?

Herr Scholz
12/20/2011, 06:38 PM
The cows recruit great, better than most top tier schools, then their players take a 4 yr breather, then some of them go to the NFL and learn how to develop and use their talent. no mystery.
Our two recent national title game appearances disagree.

Herr Scholz
12/20/2011, 06:39 PM
Yeah, and you're obviously in complete denial about our key injuries this season. That Ryan Broyles was no Mike Davis coming out of high school eh?
Everyone had injuries. We were without our top 3 RBs and top WR for several games.

12/20/2011, 09:08 PM
Our two recent national title game appearances disagree.Radio and Colt saved your rumps from roasting. Wth constant classes of 4 and 5 star guys, a couple of them panned out. Big wup for you..moo!

No wait! Mack is an excellent coach, and you guys oughta keep him!

ddub0224
12/21/2011, 12:21 PM
Nice to see Herr back after his hiatus. Hmmm, what could possibly explain his absence? Any ideas? I may be reaching here, but there appears to be a correlation between his number of posts and number of whorn wins in a season.

Scott D
12/22/2011, 01:01 PM

I don't think anyone associated with Austin would really want to claim Roy Williams as being an NFL player.

Herr Scholz
12/22/2011, 01:29 PM
I don't think anyone associated with Austin would really want to claim Roy Williams as being an NFL player.
He's had 5,600 yards receiving in his career and 43 TDs. He's not Jerry Rice but he's done reasonably well. He's lasted in the NFL for 8 years. We also have Shipley and Cosby.

You have only Clayton. He's played in the league one less year than Williams but only has 3,400 yards receiving and 14 TDs. Do you claim him?

Herr Scholz
12/22/2011, 01:31 PM
No wait! Mack is an excellent coach, and you guys oughta keep him!
Mack has as many national titles as your coach.

Scott D
12/22/2011, 01:31 PM
He's had 5,600 yards receiving in his career and 43 TDs. He's not Jerry Rice but he's done reasonably well. He's lasted in the NFL for 8 years. We also have Shipley and Cosby.

You have only Clayton. He's played in the league one less year than Williams but only has 3,400 yards receiving and 14 TDs. Do you claim him?

One is injured (Clayton), and the other is barely more valuable to his current team than Sam Hurd. RW had ceased being a solid contributor before he was traded to Dallas.

Herr Scholz
12/22/2011, 01:33 PM
Clayton is injured this year, sure, but take a look at the career stats. They're not close. Williams has been the FAR better pro.

So again, do you claim Clayton?

Breadburner
12/22/2011, 01:34 PM
Mack has as many national titles as your coach.

Wrong....

Herr Scholz
12/22/2011, 01:38 PM
As a HC he sure does. You knew what I meant though. Les Miles is about to double Bob up in the category too btw. You gonna crown him as a great coach? :very_drunk:

12/22/2011, 01:49 PM
As a HC he sure does. You knew what I meant though. Les Miles is about to double Bob up in the category too btw. You gonna crown him as a great coach? :very_drunk:The Bammer guy bowed outa this thread, at least temporarily. Proof that Saban has better fans than Happy Clappy.

Herr Scholz
12/22/2011, 03:30 PM
Sorry for using quotes and stats.

Scott D
12/22/2011, 05:06 PM
Clayton is injured this year, sure, but take a look at the career stats. They're not close. Williams has been the FAR better pro.

So again, do you claim Clayton?

I have no issue claiming Clayton. When he was drafted he was drafted as a #3 slot receiver. Williams was drafted to be a #1 receiver. His career has been overshadowed by his petulance. It's no accident that receiving corps that expected big things out of him got better once he'd been moved on to someone else's pastures.

I mean really, the guy was in the doghouse on a winless team.

northspeter
12/22/2011, 06:22 PM
As a HC he sure does. You knew what I meant though. Les Miles is about to double Bob up in the category too btw. You gonna crown him as a great coach? :very_drunk:

wrong... mack has at least a half dozen signing day national titles... congrats!!!

Herr Scholz
12/22/2011, 08:22 PM
wrong... mack has at least a half dozen signing day national titles... congrats!!!
He's had 2 but don't let facts get in your way. 1999 (had a shot at the national title game had Simms not puked on himself vs. CU in 2001) and 2002 (won the national title with that group).

OU and UT are pretty much dead even in recruiting over the past decade. It's been detailed many times. Some of you guys need to perpetuate complete lies though. Maybe you just don't know any better.

And your post had nothing to do with mine btw.

12/22/2011, 10:49 PM
The Bammer guy bowed outa this thread, at least temporarily. Proof that Saban has better fans than Happy Clappy.Mr. Scholz, the above was originally posted for your sake. Take another opportunity to read it, then take appropriate (in)action.

Herr Scholz
12/22/2011, 11:20 PM
Nah, I like it here. Thanks.

oudivesherpa
12/23/2011, 10:07 PM
Nah, I like it here. Thanks.

BTW, what ever happened to Lid?

Jacie
12/24/2011, 12:34 AM
OU and UT are pretty much dead even in recruiting over the past decade. It's been detailed many times. Some of you guys need to perpetuate complete lies though. Maybe you just don't know any better.

Let's see, here are some recruiting class rankings with some of the top signees (no comments about how they did after signing). Oklahoma topped sa*et one year in seven and was pretty close a couple of times but I would hardly call it "dead even".

UT - #3 (Jevan Snead and Sergio Kindle)
OU - #7 (DeMarco Murray, Gerald McCoy and Germaine Gresham)

UT - #3 (Tray Allen, Ben Wells, Curtis Brown, G.J. Kinne, Cody Johnson and DE Sam Acho)
OU - did not make the Top 25 in recruiting that year

OU - #8 (Jameel Owens, Stacy McGee, Jermie Calhoun, R.J. Washington and Josh Jarboe)
UT - #10 (D.J. Grant, Dan Buckner and Blake Gideon)

UT - #3 (Garrett Gilbert)
OU - #11 (Jamarkus McFarland)

UT - #2 (Jackson Jeffcoat)
OU - #5 (Tony Jefferson)

UT - #5 (Malcolm Brown)
OU - #11 (Brandon Williams)

UT - #1 (Jonathan Gray)
OU - #9 (Alex Ross)

DentonSoonerFan
12/24/2011, 01:18 AM
Sorry,,,but AD was in 2004.

Jacie
12/24/2011, 12:24 PM
Sorry,,,but AD was in 2004.

Fixed.

Herr Scholz
12/25/2011, 12:32 PM
According to Rivals:

2003: OU #4, UT #15
2004: OU #8, UT #10
2005: OU #3, UT #20
2008: OU #6, UT #14

Recruiting has been pretty close over the past decade, all years included. Both teams get talent every year. We just absolutely whiffed on the '08 and '09 classes due to lazy coaches, thus our dip.

Boomer.....
12/25/2011, 12:50 PM
BTW, what ever happened to Lid?
He ran his course and bowed out.

Scott D
12/26/2011, 05:36 PM
According to Rivals:

2003: OU #4, UT #15
2004: OU #8, UT #10
2005: OU #3, UT #20
2008: OU #6, UT #14

Recruiting has been pretty close over the past decade, all years included. Both teams get talent every year. We just absolutely whiffed on the '08 and '09 classes due to lazy coaches, thus our dip.

Recruiting rankings are vastly overrated. Half of a final rating on a guy is based upon what teams are recruiting them.

Herr Scholz
12/26/2011, 11:50 PM
Recruiting rankings are vastly overrated. Half of a final rating on a guy is based upon what teams are recruiting them.
I don't disagree with that but don't criticize that methodology either. It's just reality. Coaches know more about kids than the recruiting services. If a kid has offers from UT, OU, Florida and USC, he's simply going to get more attention and stars than a kid with offers from directional schools.

My point was that the recruiting rankings over the past decade between OU and UT have been pretty darn close.

Sabanball
1/1/2012, 09:48 PM
My sources in Joplin/Springfield tell me that Texas is in VERY good shape with DGB.

IronHorseSooner
1/1/2012, 11:37 PM
My sources in Joplin/Springfield tell me that Texas is in VERY good shape with DGB.

I'm from that area as well (well, Miami, OK) and none of it shocks me. How they are still getting good recruits with the stink of product they are producing down there is beyond me. I have no idea why he would want to go there. It is not close to home (see Mizzou and Arky), nor have they been winning championships consistently (see 'Bama and OU). Hey, if you don't want to work, be pampered, and have to rely on refs to give you games, then go become a cow.

picasso
1/2/2012, 08:53 AM
Wow, do they know Brad Pitt?

LakeRat
1/2/2012, 05:03 PM
Joplin/Springfield? That is like saying OKC/Tulsa sources. Those two places are an hour apart. They have nothing in common. Texass doesn't have a fan base there. That makes no sense. Please clarify. TIA SabanBall

Herr Scholz
1/3/2012, 03:45 PM
UT's WR Coach Darrell Wyatt was the co-OC/WR coach at KU before 2011 when he started recruiting DGB. He's very close with DGB's HS coach which got our foot in the door. Subsequently, DGB has visited Austin twice and we've had an in home visit as well. I wouldn't sleep on him coming to Austin. Wyatt recruited Peterson to OU when he was on your staff (kind of a big get) and has made a big impression with DGB's family.

1/3/2012, 04:56 PM
UT's WR Coach Darrell Wyatt was the co-OC/WR coach at KU before 2011 when he started recruiting DGB. He's very close with DGB's HS coach which got our foot in the door. Subsequently, DGB has visited Austin twice and we've had an in home visit as well. I wouldn't sleep on him coming to Austin. Wyatt recruited Peterson to OU when he was on your staff (kind of a big get) and has made a big impression with DGB's family.Well, who COULDN'T usea a 2 or 3 yr rest, before going the the ennefel?

Herr Scholz
1/3/2012, 07:38 PM
Yeah, ignore those 2 recent national title game appearances for UT with 1 title.

SoonerorLater
1/4/2012, 01:33 PM
You have to ask if we should even be recruiting a kid with a hyphenated last name. Maybe one of those tofu eating PAC 12 schools but this is Oklahoma.

OrlandoSooner
1/4/2012, 01:51 PM
You have to ask if we should even be recruiting a kid with a hyphenated last name. Maybe one of those tofu eating PAC 12 schools but this is Oklahoma.

You should probably take 5 minutes and read DGB's story.

Curly Bill
1/4/2012, 01:51 PM

LOL

picasso
1/4/2012, 02:49 PM
Plus, he's 6'6" and can play slot or wideout, dude can call himself whatever he wants.

northspeter
1/4/2012, 05:45 PM
Yeah, ignore those 2 recent national title game appearances for UT with 1 title.

ok, i will... as long as you keep ignoring 5-7, 7-5 over the last 2 years... which is more recent???

Herr Scholz
1/4/2012, 08:38 PM
Our national title is more recent than yours. Also, Bob has had down seasons of 5, 4 and 5 losses. All teams have dips. Hope that helps.

stoopified
1/5/2012, 10:59 PM
Not sure that you really thought about the "We never win with big name guys out of high school..." line. Here are a few big name guys out of high school that OU won with. (Not all 4-5 star HS players are going to be DI stars, I realize that)

Adrian Peterson
Gerald McCoy
Ryan Reynolds
DeMarco Murray
Jamarkus McFarland
Tom Wort
Kenny Stills
Roy Finch
Tony JeffersonThis being OU , I think the standard is National titles and NONE of these big names won a national title.

Eielson
1/5/2012, 11:03 PM
This being OU , I think the standard is National titles and NONE of these big names won a national title.

Every single one of them played in the national championship or is still on campus.

Sabanball
1/6/2012, 06:58 PM
Have you guys lined up an ov for DGB yet? He said recently that he wants to play in a spread O, that being the case I don't understand his new fascination with T**x--I thought they were going back to smashmouth football.

Eielson
1/6/2012, 09:23 PM
Have you guys lined up an ov for DGB yet?

What's an ov?

1sooners1
1/6/2012, 10:09 PM
What's an ov?

Official visit perhaps?

Jacie
1/7/2012, 01:01 PM
Have you guys lined up an ov for DGB yet? He said recently that he wants to play in a spread O, that being the case I don't understand his new fascination with T**x--I thought they were going back to smashmouth football.

Actually, since the loss to Bama, they haven't decided yet on what kind of football works for them. They were considering Aussie Rules football but couldn't find anyone who would play them while they wore helmets and pads . . .

Sabanball
1/8/2012, 12:37 PM
ov=official visit.

He sure dropped a lot of passes yesterday in the Army AA game, not a very good performance to say the least.

Eielson
1/8/2012, 01:09 PM
He sure dropped a lot of passes yesterday in the Army AA game, not a very good performance to say the least.

Fits in perfect with our guys, then!

SoonerNomad
1/10/2012, 01:17 PM
ov=official visit.

I tuned into the game late but when I was watching he was awarded co-player of the game. They said he had two catches for 80+. How many did he drop?

Curly Bill
1/10/2012, 01:18 PM
I tuned into the game late but when I was watching he was awarded co-player of the game. They said he had two catches for 80+. How many did he drop?

He dropped at least two slants that hit him right in the hands. One of em in the end zone.

LakeRat
1/10/2012, 03:58 PM
Our national title is more recent than yours. Also, Bob has had down seasons of 5, 4 and 5 losses. All teams have dips. Hope that helps.

The first 5 loss season was not a "dip". That was actually better than the prior 4-5 seasons. 05 was a dip with 4 losses, and 09 was unacceptable.

Good thing our dips don't last for 2 years and we go with 7 losses and 5 losses.

Jacie
1/10/2012, 05:55 PM
The thing about sa*et's dip, as the Herr so eloquently puts it, is that it shows no signs of abating. I mean seriously, who will get the nod to play QB for the whorns next season? McCoy or Ash? That is like asking if you prefer famine or pestilence visited upon you.

Herr Scholz
1/10/2012, 06:52 PM
Yeah, no way a true freshmen QB who had barely any preseason snaps in practice can improve. Impossible. We're doomed I tell ya.

8timechamps
1/10/2012, 08:13 PM
Yeah, no way a true freshmen QB who had barely any preseason snaps in practice can improve. Impossible. We're doomed I tell ya.

AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!!! :)

dwarthog
1/11/2012, 09:12 AM

Didn't one fitting this description recently transfer out from the program?

Sooner Wing
1/11/2012, 11:52 AM

So Herr, do you feel GOOD about your options at QB next year? Personally I am glad that Landry is coming back because although I don't think he is a stellar QB, I think that he is a very serviceable one. The guys behind him are unproven and that scares the crap out of me. Down in Austin two are proven and the results are not very good.

Putting your faith in a true freshman QB who barely had any snaps in practice is pretty scary wouldn’t you admit? Even if he was highly regarded coming out of high school. I mean the last three highly regarded QB’s that you guys have brought in fit the same bill right? Not coming after you here and I have not read the entire thread but I seem to recall several posts of yours defending the QB position.

Herr Scholz
1/11/2012, 03:16 PM
Didn't one fitting this description recently transfer out from the program?
Yes, Gilbert could never put it all together although he definitely had the pedigree. His struggles obviously put us in a lurch for the QB position the past two seasons. He was supposed to be the next great one here. That doesn't mean Ash will be the same though. I view it as more of one big miss among otherwise very good QB play under Brown.

Herr Scholz
1/11/2012, 03:24 PM
So Herr, do you feel GOOD about your options at QB next year? Personally I am glad that Landry is coming back because although I don't think he is a stellar QB, I think that he is a very serviceable one. The guys behind him are unproven and that scares the crap out of me. Down in Austin two are proven and the results are not very good.

Putting your faith in a true freshman QB who barely had any snaps in practice is pretty scary wouldn’t you admit? Even if he was highly regarded coming out of high school. I mean the last three highly regarded QB’s that you guys have brought in fit the same bill right? Not coming after you here and I have not read the entire thread but I seem to recall several posts of yours defending the QB position.
Up in the air right now. I'm hoping Ash will really benefit from the bowl practices and hopefully ALL of the Spring snaps and offseason workouts with the WRs (the college game has just started to slow down for him). He really wasn't supposed to play this year. Harsin really had his eggs in the Gilbert basket. Definitely not what we were hoping for/anticipating this year at that position. Gilbert lost his job vs. BYU in the 2nd game of the season. Terrible performance, and the boo birds came out quickly after the 5-7 debacle and that was that.

You guys will be the favorites again with Landry coming back. He's not your best but he can definitely play. I was hoping he would leave.

northspeter
1/11/2012, 05:08 PM
i happen to like Ash quite a bit, and it looks like the horns finally have a decent running back stable... im not sold on the oline or wide receivers though...

Jacie
1/11/2012, 08:07 PM
Personally I am glad that Landry is coming back because although I don't think he is a stellar QB, I think that he is a very serviceable one. The guys behind him are unproven and that scares the crap out of me.

Fortunately, most of the guys that play in front of him are proven.

The wildcard for the offense is whether or not Whaley can come back as he was before the K-State game.

Jacie
1/11/2012, 08:27 PM
Up in the air right now. I'm hoping Ash will really benefit from the bowl practices and hopefully ALL of the Spring snaps and offseason workouts with the WRs (the college game has just started to slow down for him). He really wasn't supposed to play this year.

Statistically, there is nothing to separate Ash and McCoy, so it would seem to come down to which one's personality Harsin prefers when it comes filling out the depth chart. The way one would play then be replaced following a loss tells me the OC's were indecisive about what they expected from the offense. Unless one of them transfers or red shirts, what indication is there that the same pattern won't hold true for 2012? Surely Harsin won't throw a freshman into this QB merry-go-round? If he does, and the kid gets put on his back and throws INT's instead of TD's, the result will be another season of uncertainty at QB. The one ray of hope to this mess is that the OL is going to return mostly intact, which by itself should make whoever gets the nod look better.

Widescreen
1/12/2012, 08:52 AM
Who cares about * and their QB situation? What does that have to do with DGB?

SoonerAtKU
1/12/2012, 12:20 PM
I think the expected inference is that Green-Beckham, as a receiver, might care about the Texas QB situation. As well he should, if he's a person taking in all of the information that could have an effect on his career.

ddub0224
1/12/2012, 02:33 PM
Who cares about * and their QB situation? What does that have to do with DGB?

Agree. Focus people. Do not be distracted by the evil orange.

soonertravis
1/12/2012, 03:10 PM
The first 5 loss season was not a "dip". That was actually better than the prior 4-5 seasons. 05 was a dip with 4 losses, and 09 was unacceptable.

Good thing our dips don't last for 2 years and we go with 7 losses and 5 losses.

And the 2009 "dip" was the result of a Heisman QB getting hurt. Lost 5 games, went to a bowl, lost 4 by a total of about 12, and scared the daylights out of the Texas team that played for the title. I don't consider it a dip. Injuries killed that team and they improved as the season went along, unlike the last two years of Texas football.