PDA

View Full Version : Smart Car

jk the sooner fan
6/2/2011, 06:21 PM
i saw one today - being driven by somebody i didnt expect to see in one

so - when you think of a smart car - what demographic do you visualize in a smart car?

age group? gender? race?

yermom
6/2/2011, 06:22 PM
anyone with more money than sense ;)

OutlandTrophy
6/2/2011, 06:23 PM
yermom

jk the sooner fan
6/2/2011, 06:23 PM
anyone with more money than sense ;)

haha - no seriously

the person driving was a young teenage male - i always thought of the smart car as a ride for the older more "green" conscious crowd

yermom
6/2/2011, 06:24 PM
yermom

:mad:

yermom
6/2/2011, 06:26 PM
haha - no seriously

the person driving was a young teenage male - i always thought of the smart car as a ride for the older more "green" conscious crowd

probably not an awful car to buy your teenage kid...

i just think something like the small Scion makes more sense for the money involved

jk the sooner fan
6/2/2011, 06:27 PM
not an awful car? it's a matchbox - i wouldnt feel safe letting an inexperienced driver fart around the dallas area in one of those - sudden stop collisions are the norm around here and i'm not sure you'd be able to pull anybody out of one of those

they're just small enough that you could bury somebody in it though

Mongo
6/2/2011, 06:28 PM
He tries to have sex with girls in the most uncomfortable place.

Like in the back of a Smart car?

jk the sooner fan
6/2/2011, 06:28 PM
He tries to have sex with girls in the most uncomfortable place.

Like in the back of a Smart car?

:D :D :D :D

yermom
6/2/2011, 06:29 PM
not an awful car? it's a matchbox - i wouldnt feel safe letting an inexperienced driver fart around the dallas area in one of those - sudden stop collisions are the norm around here and i'm not sure you'd be able to pull anybody out of one of those

makes more sense than the overpowered top heavy SUVs that they can kill themselves and 5-6 of their friends in...

jk the sooner fan
6/2/2011, 06:30 PM
makes more sense than the overpowered top heavy SUVs that they can kill themselves and 5-6 of their friends in...

I dunno - you see old people driving the big battle wagons - and why is that? so that when they inevitably hit somebody - they stand a better chance of surviving

yermom
6/2/2011, 06:42 PM
i would agree that Smart Cars might be cool if everyone drove them, then parking lots could be optimized for them or something too

MR2-Sooner86
6/2/2011, 07:00 PM
I saw this at my cousin's high school graduation. I thought it was hilarious.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/248004_523410395135_92400414_30595913_2268314_n.jp g

TheLadiesMike
6/2/2011, 07:05 PM
i saw one today - being driven by somebody i didnt expect to see in one

so - when you think of a smart car - what demographic do you visualize in a smart car?

age group? gender? race?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcqOgnQyXp4

King Barry's Back
6/2/2011, 08:18 PM
I live in Europe, and Smarts are extremely common here. I must see 20 or 30 on a slow day. I forget that they must still be rare in OK. (On the other hand, I see about 5 Hummers per year over here...)

When I think of the demographic for a Smart, I see 20-something women.

Frankly, their survivability in a crash is too suspect for me to recommend putting teenaged drivers in there. (SUVs are far, far safer for their occupants, not so much for those on the receiving end.)

One note, here in Germany Smarts are VERY common as corporate cars. Not sure why. I guess they are inexpensive options for transportation, so they make sense.

SoCaliSooner
6/2/2011, 08:54 PM
My kid is going to drive the 69 Bronco and plow through anything in her way.

GKeeper316
6/2/2011, 08:58 PM
I live in Europe, and Smarts are extremely common here. I must see 20 or 30 on a slow day. I forget that they must still be rare in OK. (On the other hand, I see about 5 Hummers per year over here...)

When I think of the demographic for a Smart, I see 20-something women.

Frankly, their survivability in a crash is too suspect for me to recommend putting teenaged drivers in there. (SUVs are far, far safer for their occupants, not so much for those on the receiving end.)

One note, here in Germany Smarts are VERY common as corporate cars. Not sure why. I guess they are inexpensive options for transportation, so they make sense.

i'm sure fleet insurance is cheap for smart cars too.

personally, till it transforms from a badass camaro into a walking talking robot with frikkin lazer beams, i won't consider it smart.

CrimsonKel
6/3/2011, 05:19 AM
Someone told me that they call it a Smart car because the materials can be recycled.

Whet
6/3/2011, 06:10 AM
there is a guy that brings it to the OU games. He tows it in a trailer behind his RV.

Condescending Sooner
6/3/2011, 09:17 AM
I looked at one at the auto show. Gas mileage was not that good, it was more expensive than it should be, and the warranty was a joke. I don't see how anyone could justify the purchase.

OULenexaman
6/3/2011, 09:23 AM
I looked at one at the auto show. Gas mileage was not that good, it was more expensive than it should be, and the warranty was a joke. I don't see how anyone could justify the purchase. 100% correct!!! Name 1 logical reason for buying one. There isn't one.

KantoSooner
6/3/2011, 09:25 AM
In Japan, where I lived, they had special parking areas for micro cars in various shopping areas. That alone made them make sense. Add in that traffic was mostly gridlocked anyway, and your safety concerns were largely eliminated. (Even a Smart does well in a 2 mph 'collision')
they do have bad air conditioners, though, like most European cars. Only Americans and Japanese have the vaguest idea how to a/c a car.

Mjcpr
6/3/2011, 09:25 AM
100% correct!!! Name 1 logical reason for buying one. There isn't one.

Ease of parking!

jk the sooner fan
6/3/2011, 09:29 AM
you really only need A/C in a car for about 2 months at the most in Europe

thats what i remember anyway from when i lived there

OUDoc
6/3/2011, 09:31 AM

CJHpUO-S0i8

OULenexaman
6/3/2011, 09:32 AM
Ease of parking! if need one of those to be able to park you should not even have a license to drive because you are a ****ing retard..

Mjcpr
6/3/2011, 09:38 AM
if need one of those to be able to park you should not even have a license to drive because you are a ****ing retard..

Somebody has a case of the Mondays.

jk the sooner fan
6/3/2011, 09:40 AM
CJHpUO-S0i8

yeah no thanks

KantoSooner
6/3/2011, 09:42 AM
you really only need A/C in a car for about 2 months at the most in Europe

thats what i remember anyway from when i lived there

Which is why they don't pay attention to them. It makes sense, just doesn't motivate me to buy a euro car in Oklahoma.

OUDoc
6/3/2011, 10:20 AM
yeah no thanks

Point is, you'd probably survive the crash, but not the embarrassment of being seen on the news as the owner of that ugly little car.

jk the sooner fan
6/3/2011, 10:23 AM
but not the embarrassment of being seen on the news as the owner of that ugly little car.

and that hurts the most - insurance can't cover that

pphilfran
6/4/2011, 11:01 AM
The Fiat 500 is a four seat micro car, larger than the Smart Car...just now going on sale in the US...30 city and 38 highway...15 to 20k....

yermom
6/4/2011, 11:02 AM
one of those groups of numbers seems too low, and the other too high ;)

pphilfran
6/4/2011, 11:05 AM
Mileage too high? Cost too little?

yermom
6/4/2011, 11:10 AM
20k seems high, and it really seems a little car like that should be in the 40s

Geo Metros were getting better mileage almost 20 years ago

pphilfran
6/4/2011, 11:16 AM
I agree with ya on the cost and mileage...

Though mileage is affected by vehicle weight...and a dozen air bags and increased safety roll over and side/front impact requirements have had a negative impact on vehicle weight...increased emission standards have also added their fair share...

Add in all the creature comforts we demand and cars are pigs compared to past vehicles....

yermom
6/4/2011, 11:34 AM
i'm really surprised we can't get things like the Ford Ka here:

http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/Ka/EconomyAndEmissons

oumartin
6/4/2011, 11:42 AM
http://jeffcjensen.net/blog/attach/autokit.jpg

tcrb
6/4/2011, 11:46 AM
Not sure I'd feel safe in one of them on US roads.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp193/britsoccer/480-smart.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/DerAlt/Smart-car-crush.jpg