PDA

View Full Version : Spurrier: Pay players out of coach's salary

meoveryouxinfinity
6/2/2011, 02:45 PM
70 players, $300 a game= $21,000 a game.

Thoughts?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6616618

SoonerofAlabama
6/2/2011, 02:53 PM
And six other coaches like it, including Derek Dooley and Nick Saban.

BoulderSooner79
6/2/2011, 02:53 PM
I think Spurrier accomplished his goal of starting a conversation.

salth2o
6/2/2011, 02:59 PM
$300 per game would be a pay cut for some players at tO$U.

The Maestro
6/2/2011, 03:04 PM
Eh. They don't need $300 a game. I can see more like $100. As much as they have to study, practice, workout, etc....I wouldn't want some of those guys to have too much beer and titty bar money.

NormanPride
6/2/2011, 03:09 PM
Eh. They don't need $300 a game. I can see more like $100. As much as they have to study, practice, workout, etc....I wouldn't want some of those guys to have too much beer and titty bar money.
This.

silverwheels
6/2/2011, 03:11 PM
Can you ever have too much beer and titty bar money?

ouleaf
6/2/2011, 03:11 PM
Plan only favors coaches who make big time money....There is no way this works....if players ever start getting paid legally, I think it would have to be the university/athletic department that ponies up.

47straight
6/2/2011, 03:18 PM
How does the math work for the softball coaches?

fadada1
6/2/2011, 03:51 PM
Plan only favors coaches who make big time money....There is no way this works....if players ever start getting paid legally, I think it would have to be the university/athletic department that ponies up.

Zacly!!

with all the folks on the track team, each would get like $.36/ day.

EatLeadCommie
6/2/2011, 04:00 PM
How does the math work for the softball coaches?

Exactly. And how does it work for those softball players and other low-revenue sports? This idea is very football and basketball-centric and would have to be applied across the board to all student-athletes or not at all.

texaspokieokie
6/2/2011, 04:06 PM
And six other coaches like it, including Derek Dooley and Nick Saban.

they come out in favor of the pay, because they know it's not gonna happen.

makes them look like good guys ???

texaspokieokie
6/2/2011, 04:08 PM
Title VIII lezzies would be on this like white on rice.

the football coaches would have to pick up the tab for the whole school.

EatLeadCommie
6/2/2011, 04:13 PM
they come out in favor of the pay, because they know it's not gonna happen.

makes them look like good guys ???

Yeah...they came out in favor for the same reason Chizik didn't...appearances.

texaspokieokie
6/2/2011, 04:22 PM
Title VIII lezzies would be on this like white on rice.

the football coaches would have to pick up the tab for the whole school.

OOPS title IX

The Maestro
6/2/2011, 04:34 PM
I agree with the Title 9 thumpers coming out, but can't you just say, "Make money and we will talk."??

meoveryouxinfinity
6/2/2011, 05:01 PM
Here's my take.

1) There are pro sports and there are amateur sports. THERE IS NO IN BETWEEN. You cannot pay college football players. YOU EITHER HAVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL OR NFL. If you are going to play college football players, what's the point of the NFL???

2) Kids think they're good enough to be paid? Let them go to the NFL..even straight from HS. Keep the 3-year rule for college kids and let the ones who are monsters go straight to the pros and make their money. So they might not be taken in the first round, but hey, they wanna make money that badly-- go right ahead.

3) A college scholarship and the benefits that come from it are pretty obvious:
-Kids are given living expenses (food, housing, and even a little extra) for 4-5 years while on scholarship.
-Kids are given tuition and books, tutors and academic advising, and every other kind of help to aid them in receiving their diploma. Do you know how much more the average D1A college graduate makes than a high school graduate?
-Kids are given the PLATFORM to reach the NFL and be taken in the NFL draft. No, you aren't assured a future in football. Heck, I **PAY** for my schooling, and I'm not assured an acceptance into my field of work.
-Kids are given top coaching, training, and accessibility to top-notch facilities--all far above what the high school level offers.
ALL OF THIS IS FREE!

4) "The school makes tons of money off of the athletes."
NO, the school makes tons of money off of the fans. Fans go to games, fans fill seats, fans buy the licensed t-shirts, and fans turn on the TVs.
Let's say we let #2 happen and the field of talent of college athletes is severely affected. Little Jimmy Stevens is our running back. I guarantee you college football will not take a huge hit. It's not about the players. It's about the fans.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/2/2011, 05:11 PM
Oh, and all the football players I know that complain about their stipend not being enough:
Living in the Bud/on campus is CHEAPER, yet they are so spoiled they decide it's not "cool" to live on campus. They want to live in the more expensive housing off campus..where they must pay for transportation to/from class...which, again, is another expense. Also, living on campus is more affordable due to meal plans.

They say they don't have time for a job because when they are not in class they are doing something for football. Great. Normal students need a job...to pay for their tuition and books. Why do you need a job? To take your girlfriend out?

Again, playing football for the University of Oklahoma or any other college is not only a CHOICE made by the football player, it's a PRIVILEGE. You need to take care of your family? That's fine--graduate high school and get a job at Jiffy Lube. Nobody is forcing you to choose this path. Sorry, but Adrian Peterson was wrong, it's not slavery. There's an exit door and you can take it at any time.

agoo758
6/2/2011, 05:12 PM
Still being underpaid in terms of how much revenue players bring in. Is it a big step in the right direction? Absolutely. Is it the final solution to ensure that players are fairly compensated? Not even close.

agoo758
6/2/2011, 05:13 PM
I agree with the Title 9 thumpers coming out, but can't you just say, "Make money and we will talk."??

Yes.

texaspokieokie
6/2/2011, 05:20 PM
Still being underpaid in terms of how much revenue players bring in. Is it a big step in the right direction? Absolutely. Is it the final solution to ensure that players are fairly compensated? Not even close.

but, aren't there lotsa schools that lose money on football ???

meoveryouxinfinity
6/2/2011, 05:26 PM
Yes, University of Central Oklahoma, for example.

Secondly, I am a HUGE supporter of Title IX. Why?
"Build it and they will come" is TOTALLY true, but only half of the equation. Win and they will come.
Look at OU women's basketball.

So what if men's wrestling programs are being cut? Nobody goes to mens wrestling either! Might as well add women's golf and give women a scholarship to even it up.

I Am Right
6/2/2011, 05:57 PM
How about paying for my college degree? How about paying for my food and accomodations?

Soonerfan88
6/2/2011, 06:21 PM
I completely agree with meoveryouxinfinity.

Also, scholarship athletes are eligible for Pell Grants and student loans, depending upon family income, just like every other college student.

MI Sooner
6/3/2011, 05:31 AM
-Kids are given living expenses (food, housing, and even a little extra) for 4-5 years while on scholarship.

Wouldn't and extra $3,600 a year just fall under the above? I think that as long as college players are only paid somewhere in the four figures, all schools pay the same, and that players don't individually negotiate their pay, college football would retain whatever feeling of amateurism it now has.

That said, this is a dumb idea. All the schools/coaches would do is raise coaching salaries to compensate for this if it became the norm.

boomersooner28
6/3/2011, 06:50 AM
Paying the players out of the coaches salary sounds great until you ask the coach at Middle Tennessee St. who makes $500,000 (? no idea what he makes, just an example) a year and you want him to give up half his salary to pay players.

texaspokieokie
6/3/2011, 06:54 AM
i don't care if they get paid or not, but if i ever begin to feel like they are pros, i quit watching.

pphilfran
6/3/2011, 07:03 AM
What will this accomplish? Does anyone really think it will slow or stop the under the table cash flow?

texaspokieokie
6/3/2011, 07:43 AM
it shows that spurrier is grossly overpaid.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/3/2011, 08:06 AM
What will this accomplish? Does anyone really think it will slow or stop the under the table cash flow?

THIS. Probably the best point to be made.

Kids who take money now would take money then. It's the mentality, not the actual money.

agoo758
6/3/2011, 09:46 AM

Then they won't get anything other than what is already offered to them. Just like in the real world where some people make more money than others, it would be the same way in the college world. Why is that so difficult??

agoo758
6/3/2011, 09:51 AM

That is the most prejudiced comment I have ever seen. I am so damn sick and tired of all the anti-pay crowd saying "meh, they'll just use it on beer and tits because that's all college kids do" Yeah, just like all black people do is rap about bitches and hos, do drugs, and use terrible grammer right? :rolleyes:

Flagstaffsooner
6/3/2011, 10:27 AM
That is the most prejudiced comment I have ever seen. I am so damn sick and tired of all the anti-pay crowd saying "meh, they'll just use it on beer and tits because that's all college kids do" Yeah, just like all black people do is rap about bitches and hos, do drugs, and use terrible grammer right? :rolleyes:Who stepped on your tail? It was just a humorous comment.
Let it go. We're friends here.:D

The Maestro
6/3/2011, 10:30 AM
That is the most prejudiced comment I have ever seen.

Really?

Really?

texaspokieokie
6/3/2011, 10:30 AM
Then they won't get anything other than what is already offered to them. Just like in the real world where some people make more money than others, it would be the same way in the college world. Why is that so difficult??

because the extra money could be used as a recruiting tool.

do substitutes make as much as starters & star players???

who would make the "salary" decisions ??

paying non players as much as starters could get expensive.

roster supposed to be no more than 85, but unless i count wrong, it's more like 105. i'd assume that "walk-ons" would get no cash ??

pphilfran
6/3/2011, 10:32 AM
If a kids family is so bad off that they cannot send them a a penny then there are grants available...

pphilfran
6/3/2011, 10:34 AM
because the extra money could be used as a recruiting tool.

do substitutes make as much as starters & star players???

who would make the "salary" decisions ??

paying non players as much as starters could get expensive.

roster supposed to be no more than 85, but unless i count wrong, it's more like 105. i'd assume that "walk-ons" would get no cash ??

In the Steve S. plan only the traveling squad gets any money...

texaspokieokie
6/3/2011, 10:37 AM
In the Steve S. plan only the traveling squad gets any money...

that would cause lotsa problems, by guys left @ home squawkin cause they
feel they are gettin screwed.

of course, i guess it already does.

i still feel that this is a dumb ides. JMHO

pphilfran
6/3/2011, 10:41 AM
that would cause lotsa problems, by guys left @ home squawkin cause they
feel they are gettin screwed.

of course, i guess it already does.

i still feel that this is a dumb ides. JMHO

Yes, a dumb idea...you can't use the kid needs money routine because you are leaving kids off the travel squad that might need additional funding...

And if you do it for one sport you must do it for all...

texaspokieokie
6/3/2011, 10:52 AM
Yes, a dumb idea...you can't use the kid needs money routine because you are leaving kids off the travel squad that might need additional funding...

And if you do it for one sport you must do it for all...

agree !!

BoulderSooner79
6/3/2011, 11:01 AM
When CFB becomes just the farm league for the NFL, I will no longer be a fan. I'm not saying the "full cost of school" idea will mark the change over, but seems a step in that inevitable direction. If Cam Newton had come to OU and led us to the title, I would not be a Cam Newton fan and #8 would not mean much to me compare to previous titles. Newton joined the Auburn team in the summer and thus only attended 1 semester of classes and then went pro. Without questioning the integrity of Auburn and whether or not he really passed a full load of classes (hmmm), I don't see Newton as much more than a paid mercenary for the football team. The pay was a barter trade of NFL prep (assuming there was no $200k in cash) that got Auburn a title and Newton the top pick in the draft. I don't see much school spirit there. But I'm just 1 fan and the Auburn masses seemed to have no problem with their situation, so I'm sure my absence won't be noticed if OU becomes a Dallas cowboy farm club.

gwydion
6/3/2011, 11:21 AM

Right put this all on the women's sports. What are the men's golf, tennis, track, wrestling, baseball teams going to say? They don't make money. And that's just at OU. What about the men's swim, lacrosse, soccer and on and on that are at other schools going to have to say? You got to pay them all or none. Leave gender out.

OU_Sooners75
6/3/2011, 02:54 PM
So is it just football players that get paid, or all college athletes?

When will the band members start getting paid? The cheerleaders? When will the ruf/neks get paid?

OU_Sooners75
6/3/2011, 03:07 PM
Here is an idea....

If you are a single, childless, athlete, you should be required to live on campus. If you need money, get an on-campus job.

If you are an athlete with children and married, you can live off campus. However, the campus should have a family living apartment complex so if they choose not to live off campus, they can live on campus. If you must live off campus, then a higher stipend should be given to them, but the money should go directly from the school to the expenses i.e. rent goes to landlord, a food stamp card type thing for food...no cash or direct bank accounts for the student athletes from the school. And make this a case by case thing. Not all get approved to live off campus.

OU_Sooners75
6/3/2011, 03:09 PM
Right put this all on the women's sports. What are the men's golf, tennis, track, wrestling, baseball teams going to say? They don't make money. And that's just at OU. What about the men's swim, lacrosse, soccer and on and on that are at other schools going to have to say? You got to pay them all or none. Leave gender out.

Title 9 is more than just gender driven....it is like the ACLU of college athletics anymore. They want equality fof all.

soonerloyal
6/3/2011, 03:13 PM
Yeah, because allowing equal opportunities for equally talented people is such BS. :rolleyes:

I'm not a "Give every kid a feel-good trophy for just being there" type of person. I am however extremely supportive of developing/making opportunities for deserving talent.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/3/2011, 05:36 PM
So is it just football players that get paid, or all college athletes?

When will the band members start getting paid? The cheerleaders? When will the ruf/neks get paid?
Band gets paid per game. At least for basketball

Edit: but they aren't full scholarship either. They getpaid for playing at graduation and other events too.

ouflak
6/5/2011, 07:20 AM
Here's my take.

1) There are pro sports and there are amateur sports. THERE IS NO IN BETWEEN.

But that's not actually the case in the real world though is it? In fact, this whole idea of 'amateur' athletes is quite modern and very idealistic, created for the re-establishment of the modern Olympics. It sort of somehow carried over into college sports by default. And even the most recent incantations of the modern Olympic Games now alllow professional and semi-professional athletes in every sport, effectively abandoning the concept. It's a wonderfully dreamlandlike state of affairs that just can't exist in today's world (and really doesn't anymore) of sponsorship and media deals.

If people want college sports to somehow be the last bastion for this fantasy of 'amateurism', ok fine. Fight the good fight to the end. In my heart, I empathize with the spirit competing just for the sake of competion, of pride in one's school, charitiable entertainment of fans, brotherhood among athletes. But those who feel this way should realize that they've already lost several critical opening battles in that fight with the plethora of multi-billion dollar TV deals made with schools and conferences; coaches and sports department administrators being paid hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars per year.

Certain interests with a financial stake in the matter (NCAA, bowl officials, pro agents) are trying to keep that flow of money from getting to the athletes. But it's sort of like trying to build a dam to stop an oncoming tsunami. You just can't build one big enough. You just can't build one fast enough. There's just too much money coming in, and more coming in after that. And the athletes are right smack in the path of that tsunami of money.

Maybe this amateurism concept can still find a home in high schools for a while. But I think its days in college sports are very numbered.

texaspokieokie
6/5/2011, 07:54 AM
i'm not trying to keep colleges from paying student athletes. i just want them to know that they'll lose some fans, the only one i'm sure of is me.

i root for only one pro team, & that started over 60 yrs ago. i was only a child, & that won't go away, thru thick or thin. don't think i'll be adding any more.

i know no one cares about my opinion, but there's my 2 cents worth.