PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Leaf Diagnosed with a brain tumor.

agoo758
6/1/2011, 09:51 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Ryan-Leaf-is-recovering-from-surgery-to-remove-a?urn=nfl-wp2303

Very sad. Prayers to him and his family.

SoonerofAlabama
6/1/2011, 10:02 PM
Just had it removed. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

BoulderSooner79
6/1/2011, 11:11 PM
As soon as I read this, it maybe wonder if this was the root cause of his behavior way back when he was drafted. These tumor things can exist and be stable for many years before they grow and get discovered. His behavior was just so irrational, it didn't make sense under the circumstances. Probably never know, but if he cleans up his act after the surgery, it could be a clue.

StoopTroup
6/1/2011, 11:23 PM
As soon as I read this, it maybe wonder if this was the root cause of his behavior way back when he was drafted. These tumor things can exist and be stable for many years before they grow and get discovered. His behavior was just so irrational, it didn't make sense under the circumstances. Probably never know, but if he cleans up his act after the surgery, it could be a clue.

Well.....at least he'll be redeemed by you.....

He has that going for him....:rolleyes:

I'd say Get Well Ryan but I doubt he lurks on this board.

BoulderSooner79
6/1/2011, 11:32 PM
Well.....at least he'll be redeemed by you.....

He has that going for him....:rolleyes:

I'd say Get Well Ryan but I doubt he lurks on this board.

I don't get your sarcasm - no redemption or condemnation implied. He didn't seem like the typical bad apple, defiant type when he was in the NFL. Just irrational and random and his troubles didn't end when he exited pro ball. If removing a tumor changes future behavior, it has to at least make you wonder. IF it doesn't, then it was just a red herring.

yermom
6/2/2011, 04:07 AM
i don't think the brain stem controls much behavior

Soonermagik
6/2/2011, 08:13 AM
I hope he fully recovers from this!!

soonerbrat
6/2/2011, 08:21 AM
did he talk on his cell phone too much?

pweitkem
6/2/2011, 08:34 AM
Close friend of mine had a brain tumor last year. They went in and cut that bad boy out and he was back on the course in two months. Modern medicine is badass... I'm sure Ryan has a good doctor looking after him.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/2/2011, 10:02 AM
wow! so young, i hope he will recover fully.

Jacie
6/2/2011, 10:06 AM
i don't think the brain stem controls much behavior

The 35-year-old Leaf had been experiencing headaches, dizziness and blurred vision before seeing a doctor May 18

I am sure none of these symptoms would affect his behavior . . .

soonerbrat
6/2/2011, 10:38 AM
from wikipedia:

SymptomsThe symptoms of brain stem tumors vary greatly,and can include ataxia, cranial nerve palsy, headaches, problems with speech and swallowing, hearing loss,weakness, hemiparesis, vision abnormalities, ptosis, and behavior changes. Another possible symptom is vomiting. Headaches related to brainstem tumors may be worse shortly after waking up in the morning.[1]

badger
6/2/2011, 10:46 AM
Hope he recovers.

Medical question: Football causes concussions and concussions cause other brain issues later in life. Do football or concussions cause tumors?

BoulderSooner79
6/2/2011, 11:16 AM
Hope he recovers.

Medical question: Football causes concussions and concussions cause other brain issues later in life. Do football or concussions cause tumors?

Interesting question - maybe some medical grad student is running the numbers to get a paper out of it. I find the brain fascinating as it is arguably the most important organ we have, yet is still the least understood.

SoonerofAlabama
6/2/2011, 11:28 AM
Hope he recovers.

I don't think so, I knew a woman who passed away from a brain tumor and she never had a concussion or played football a day in her life. I think they can just sneak up on you and then sometimes it is too late.

BoulderSooner79
6/2/2011, 11:30 AM
I don't think so, I knew a woman who passed away from a brain tumor and she never had a concussion or played football a day in her life. I think they can just sneak up on you and then sometimes it is too late.

Tumors w/o concussions does not imply that concussions do not correlate with tumors. Basic logic.

Osama Bin Laden
6/2/2011, 11:51 AM
I find the brain fascinating as it is arguably the most important organ we have, yet is still the least understood.

I don't think that is arguable haha

BoulderSooner79
6/2/2011, 12:01 PM
Interesting question - maybe some medical grad student is running the numbers to get a paper out of it. I find the brain fascinating as it is arguably the most important organ we have, yet is still the least understood.

I don't think that is arguable haha

The penis is very important too.

Osama Bin Laden
6/2/2011, 12:19 PM
The penis is very important too.

Yea, but without the brain, we would all think it was just a magical mayonnaise dispenser attached to our body. Masturbating into a roast beef sandwich would be a common sight.

BoulderSooner79
6/2/2011, 12:35 PM
Yea, but without the brain, we would all think it was just a magical mayonnaise dispenser attached to our body. Masturbating into a roast beef sandwich would be a common sight.

I think you just created some vegetarians.

yermom
6/2/2011, 12:57 PM
from wikipedia:

SymptomsThe symptoms of brain stem tumors vary greatly,and can include ataxia, cranial nerve palsy, headaches, problems with speech and swallowing, hearing loss,weakness, hemiparesis, vision abnormalities, ptosis, and behavior changes. Another possible symptom is vomiting. Headaches related to brainstem tumors may be worse shortly after waking up in the morning.[1]

bah, anyone can write to wikipedia. Jacie could have written that.

BoulderSooner79
6/2/2011, 02:30 PM
bah, anyone can write to wikipedia. Jacie could have written that.

True, but I'd still give wikipedia more weight than uninformed posters here.