PDA

View Full Version : Deloss Dodds on Big 12 (10) expansion

mgsooner
6/1/2011, 03:28 PM
Dodds on possibility of Big 12 expansion: "It is absolutely 'No.' Not a thought, not a conversation, nothing."

NormanPride
6/1/2011, 03:36 PM
Hello, SEC...

mgsooner
6/1/2011, 03:37 PM
I guess daddy has spoken. No chance of it ever happening now

SoonerofAlabama
6/1/2011, 03:38 PM
That is probably just for this year. Has he said anything about next year?

fwsooner22
6/1/2011, 03:41 PM
Is it just me but isn't this what Stoops wanted too ? I'm fairly sure he was opposed to the championship game unless every conference had one. That was never going to happen right ?

So, here we are well at least for the time being.

mgsooner
6/1/2011, 03:43 PM
Is it just me but isn't this what Stoops wanted too ? I'm fairly sure he was opposed to the championship game unless every conference had one. That was never going to happen right ?

Bob was opposed to the championship game unless every conference had one. Now every conference has one...except the Big 12. LMAO

Oops, forgot the Big Least...if they even count

No1Better
6/1/2011, 04:40 PM
That's fine, we'll just continue to dominate his short horns and he'll be kicked out the door for someone with a little less attitude and more intelligence.

Monster Zero
6/1/2011, 04:47 PM
Dodds on possibility of Big 12 expansion: "It is absolutely 'No.' Not a thought, not a conversation, nothing."

"Put a second back on the clock and give 'em another play."

Muno
6/1/2011, 04:53 PM
There is no talk of expansion because the teams who would agree won't increase revenue. Schools like OU and Texas are not going to give up part of their revenue just to add two more schools. The schools they are adding have to bring in more revenue to the conference. Which schools could pull that off that we would have any chance at getting to join?

OUMallen
6/1/2011, 04:55 PM
There is no talk of expansion because the teams who would agree won't increase revenue. Schools like OU and Texas are not going to give up part of their revenue just to add two more schools. The schools they are adding have to bring in more revenue to the conference. Which schools could pull that off that we would have any chance at getting to join?

Good post. And I can't think of one. Arkansas is about the only real candidate and we'd never pry them from the SEC. Ever.

Muno
6/1/2011, 05:00 PM
Good post. And I can't think of one. Arkansas is about the only real candidate and we'd never pry them from the SEC. Ever.

I agree Arkansas was the only one I could think of and I don't think we would have much of a chance of getting them.

People need to think of this issue this way. If you are OU and making $20M a year in television revenue and by adding two additional schools you make $18M a year in revenue, why would you agree to expansion? You won't. I'd be surprised if the Big12(10) is around 5 years from now.

texaspokieokie
6/1/2011, 06:01 PM
That's fine, we'll just continue to dominate his short horns and he'll be kicked out the door for someone with a little less attitude and more intelligence.

Dodds has been there a long time, & in my opinion has done a great job.

he'll be there as long as he wants.

(early on, he did poorly).

ouwasp
6/1/2011, 06:14 PM
Well, when a Big XII team misses out on a BCS MNC game because another conference and the SEC champs get bounced to it, maybe Deloss will figure out how to count to 12.

If the above scenario happens, it would be amusing to see it happen to tex...

mightysooner
6/1/2011, 06:39 PM

Arizona and Arizona State?

yermom
6/1/2011, 06:42 PM
it would be tough to break up another 12 team, league, wouldn't it?

Muno
6/1/2011, 06:55 PM

This made sense to me until the Pac 10 just announced their $3 billion TV deal estimated to be worth a little over $20M per year per school. Not sure why either school would want to come to the Big 12 right now.

ouwasp
6/1/2011, 07:05 PM
AFA & BYU... with the proviso that the Big XII dump could either one (or osu) should notre dame come calling...

AlboSooner
6/1/2011, 07:07 PM
What about Louisville and BYU?

mightysooner
6/1/2011, 07:08 PM
We could probably get Houston.

StoopTroup
6/1/2011, 07:12 PM
Why not change the damn name then?

Also....how long before Iowa State gets tired of having to travel to Texas all the time?

Scott D
6/1/2011, 07:15 PM

as long as he's responsible for lots of $$$$$ going into the coffers in Austin, he isn't going anywhere.

SoonerofAlabama
6/1/2011, 07:15 PM
The above teams like Houston, Louisville, and Air Force would result in the Big XII teams losing money. BYU is going independent, Arizona/Arizona State are making loads of money and already have a conference championship. Arkansas could not be taken from the SEC.

mightysooner
6/1/2011, 07:28 PM
Pitt and WVU?

Sooner_Tuf
6/1/2011, 08:47 PM
Why not change the damn name then?

Also....how long before Iowa State gets tired of having to travel to Texas all the time?

Never, what other major conference are they going to join?

MeMyself&Me
6/1/2011, 10:27 PM

They already make more in the Pac-12 where they are treated as an equal than they would in the Big 12 where they would be much lower on the unequal pay distribution. No reason for them to move.

This made sense to me until the Pac 10 just announced their $3 billion TV deal estimated to be worth a little over $20M per year per school. Not sure why either school would want to come to the Big 12 right now.

So long as they are treated as an equal in payouts in the Pac-12, they will have no reason to join the Big 12.

AFA & BYU... with the proviso that the Big XII dump could either one (or osu) should notre dame come calling...

BYU is a good add. Both BYU and the Big 12 have something to gain there. AFA is hard to figure. Probably takes more than it adds but does it take more than what BYU adds? The pair might be a good deal for the Big 12 to get back to having a championship game. I wouldn't worry about a provision to kick anyone out if Notre Dame came calling. If Notre Dame did, you just go to 13 or 14.

What about Louisville and BYU?

Again, I think BYU is good. Louisville probably is good too though Louisville is already in a BCS conference. They would be moving up the pecking order in terms of respect by being in the Big 12 though and they would increase their ability to recruit in Texas. The question is, would they be making more money in the Big 12 than the Big East. I don't know.

We could probably get Houston.

We could... but why? What does Houston have to offer the Big 12. With Houston, the Big 12 has another mouth to feed that doesn't add any money.

Iowa State is in a BCS conference. Why would they leave for a second tier conference? Why would another BCS conference take them? If they choose to go, the rest of the Big 12 will be saying "GREAT!!!"

Pitt and WVU?

I like these two. I think they certainly will add more to the Big 12 than what they would take. The question is, like Louisville, are they really better off in the Big 12? I tend to think they would.

If going for Big East teams, I would go for 4 to make a 14 team league. It puts more pressure on Notre Dame.

StoopTroup
6/1/2011, 11:25 PM
Iowa State is in a BCS conference. Why would they leave for a second tier conference? Why would another BCS conference take them? If they choose to go, the rest of the Big 9 will be saying "GREAT!!!"

FIFY

What's funny is....if we hadn't brought in the tejas scum....we'd still be the Big Eight.

Nice try on making a point though....

soonervegas
6/1/2011, 11:31 PM
BYU and WVU are the only reasonable teams that fit the profile of ones we could get.

TheLadiesMike
6/1/2011, 11:47 PM
FIFY

What's funny is....if we hadn't brought in the tejas scum....we'd still be the Big Eight.

I can only imagine the whopping TV contracts that would have been given out for all those people in Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri and Colorado.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/2/2011, 12:10 AM
While I too think AU and ASU would be interesting regionally, they don't really add anything. I'm not even convinced they would deliver the Phoenix television market. Texas, OU, and A&M may have as many combined sets in Phoenix as AU and ASU. And historically combined they are a rather large step down from CU and NU. Arkie is home in the SEC... they have a true regional and financial fit. They aren't going anywhere.

BYU would be an excellent choice to round it back out to 12.

But there is only one team that could be added that would increase Big XII revenue:

Notre Dame.

Unless of course Nebraska comes all the way back to being a perennial Top 5 AND they get sick of being jerked around by the Big 10 AND they decide they want their own "Big Red Network". (And they ARE getting jerked around already this year with the Big 10 Championship site and a murderous schedule, and even including Penn State not supporting their re-up for AAU membership. They are going to realize much sooner than later that the collective arrogance of Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State is far worse and more dicey to navigate than than was Texas.)

I wouldn't count any of these 3 out... or in. Just never say never. I do believe they are the only three that make any kind of financial sense, though.

MeMyself&Me
6/2/2011, 09:43 AM
FIFY

Nice try? The Big 9, as you put it, would make more money per team without Iowa State than with. Iowa State is a liability, not an asset. They don't even have any political ties to keep them in like OSU and Tech do. The only reason they are here is because you can't kick them out.

BYU and WVU are the only reasonable teams that fit the profile of ones we could get.

I think they are good but they aren't the only reasonable ones that we could get.

While I too think AU and ASU would be interesting regionally, they don't really add anything. I'm not even convinced they would deliver the Phoenix television market. Texas, OU, and A&M may have as many combined sets in Phoenix as AU and ASU. And historically combined they are a rather large step down from CU and NU. Arkie is home in the SEC... they have a true regional and financial fit. They aren't going anywhere.

BYU would be an excellent choice to round it back out to 12.

But there is only one team that could be added that would increase Big XII revenue:

Notre Dame.

Unless of course Nebraska comes all the way back to being a perennial Top 5 AND they get sick of being jerked around by the Big 10 AND they decide they want their own "Big Red Network". (And they ARE getting jerked around already this year with the Big 10 Championship site and a murderous schedule, and even including Penn State not supporting their re-up for AAU membership. They are going to realize much sooner than later that the collective arrogance of Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State is far worse and more dicey to navigate than than was Texas.)

I wouldn't count any of these 3 out... or in. Just never say never. I do believe they are the only three that make any kind of financial sense, though.

I disagree that Notre Dame is the only one that would increase Big 12 revenue. Any team that will increase the Big 12's market increases the Big 12's revenue. The larger question is who adds to the Big 12's market enough that it increases the total pie more than what they take away from that pie. There are a few teams that would do that that the Big 12 might get. Of course Notre Dame is the biggest of them all, but getting them is a longshot... a worthwhile longshot though.

As far as Nebraska goes, I think there are hard enough feelings on both sides that there is no way they come back to the Big 12. That ship has sailed and that bridge is burned.

No1Better
6/2/2011, 09:48 AM
as long as he's responsible for lots of $$$$$ going into the coffers in Austin, he isn't going anywhere.

Key phrase: "As LONG as he's responsible for lots of $$$$$" - when tu continues to lose to OU, revs will decline and the short horns will want his head. Mark it down.

soonervegas
6/2/2011, 09:49 AM
I think they are good but they aren't the only reasonable ones that we could get.

Who else do you think? That has a name as big or bigger and would actually come?

No1Better
6/2/2011, 09:49 AM
Dodds has been there a long time, & in my opinion has done a great job.

he'll be there as long as he wants.

(early on, he did poorly).

Agreed on the phrase "done a great job". Disagree that he will be "there as long as he wants".

badger
6/2/2011, 10:00 AM
Studies have shown that a elected officials are most popular when their region's sports teams are doing well.

Deloss will be Deloser if Texas football has a few more Delosing seasons.

He'll be there so long as Texas remains profitable and football stays competitive.

As for how long will Iowa State keep traveling to Texas? I think they rather enjoyed the trip last season:
http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/05/17/00/slideshow_1001754265_RBZ_UT_IOWA_STATE_06_5043127. JPG.jpg
^^^an actual photo from ISU in Austin last season ^^^

SoonerMarkVA
6/2/2011, 10:02 AM
The lynchpin is ND. If, somehow, we could convince them to join (assuming they get to the point that they figure they have to join somewhere), and we pull them and BYU in, then I could see it happening.

I don't pretend to think this will happen, but if it did then I see the XII as being viable for the long-term. Otherwise, we're a dead conference walking.

MeMyself&Me
6/2/2011, 10:09 AM
Who else do you think? That has a name as big or bigger and would actually come?

I didn't say 'as big or bigger'. Just that they weren't the only ones.

Ranking in terms of 'as big or bigger' that are simply just possibilities I think BYU is the second biggest possibility. Notre Dame is first. West Virginia is 3rd but a 'tied' 3rd with a few other teams in the Big East.

Ranking in terms of likely to say yes if offered of those I'd say BYU first, the teams from the Big East, then Notre Dame a distant third.

I wouldn't look at anyone else except in terms of adding just one to get to 12... and even then maybe not.

MeMyself&Me
6/2/2011, 10:12 AM
The lynchpin is ND. If, somehow, we could convince them to join (assuming they get to the point that they figure they have to join somewhere), and we pull them and BYU in, then I could see it happening.

I don't pretend to think this will happen, but if it did then I see the XII as being viable for the long-term. Otherwise, we're a dead conference walking.

The absolute dream deal would be landing BYU and Notre Dame. That would be huge and make great financial sense for all involved. However, I don't really think those two really want to be associated with each other. I really don't know... just a hunch there along religious lines. I think BYU and Notre Dame are going to be an either/or thing.

badger
6/2/2011, 10:18 AM
OU is in such a good position to go anywhere that it really doesn't matter what happens to the Big 12 if we're thinking selfishly.

Remember how relaxed and happy David Boren et al were through all of the conference shenanigans of last season? It was because the Pac 10 wanted us, the SEC wanted us and the rest of the Big 12 wanted us too. We have an academic-minded president, an profit-minded athletic director, an ethics-minded football coach, a basketball and baseball program with some tradition in their own rights, fairly strong womens athletic teams... and they all get along with each other! Stoops takes his family to womens basketball games, Sherri goes to volleyball games, Lon Kruger throws the first pitch (and he used to be a minor leaguer so he threw a strike!) at a baseball game, Stoops and Sunny were both at Lon's intro rally, and Boren and Castiglione aren't strangers to the sidelines of athletic events.

Unselfishly, OU is in the middle of the conference and have a lot of other schools depending on us to hold things together, perhaps moreso than our UT overlords.

Jacie
6/2/2011, 10:20 AM
The absolute dream deal would be landing BYU and Notre Dame. That would be huge and make great financial sense for all involved.

Add the Baptists from Waco and throw in a trophy for the team that goes 2-0 for a miniseries storyline during the season.

MeMyself&Me
6/2/2011, 10:27 AM
OU is in such a good position to go anywhere that it really doesn't matter what happens to the Big 12 if we're thinking selfishly.

Remember how relaxed and happy David Boren et al were through all of the conference shenanigans of last season? It was because the Pac 10 wanted us, the SEC wanted us and the rest of the Big 12 wanted us too. We have an academic-minded president, an profit-minded athletic director, an ethics-minded football coach, a basketball and baseball program with some tradition in their own rights, fairly strong womens athletic teams... and they all get along with each other! Stoops takes his family to womens basketball games, Sherri goes to volleyball games, Lon Kruger throws the first pitch (and he used to be a minor leaguer so he threw a strike!) at a baseball game, Stoops and Sunny were both at Lon's intro rally, and Boren and Castiglione aren't strangers to the sidelines of athletic events.

Unselfishly, OU is in the middle of the conference and have a lot of other schools depending on us to hold things together, perhaps moreso than our UT overlords.

No kidding. When this stuff first started (before the Pac 10 offer) I was worried about where OU might end up, being that OU was located in a low populous state. But then there as the Pac 10 offer, which may have been largely dependent on Tejas, but then there was the Big 10's single offer to Nebraska. If the Big 10 wants Nebraska due to their tradition and national draw (cause their local market sucks), then OU will land somewhere nice too, no matter what goes down.

In the end, it looks like OU had a chance at 3 different conferences last summer. I don't really worry about it now. And so long as OU can be good enough to maintain a national draw, they'll be better off if they can hold this conference together due to the Big 12's TV payout structure.

BoomerJack
6/2/2011, 11:09 AM
I believe that the Conf. Presidents and A.D.'s are going to spend the next 18-24 months catching their collective breath to see how this present "alignment" works out.

I do believe that at the end of that 24 month period we're gonna see another shake-up, shake-down, re-alignment, additions, and/or subtractions in some way, shape or form. And I fear that the end result will be nothing like we have seen before and many will not like it.

Scott D
6/2/2011, 03:39 PM
shhh Texas already believes they have ND in the bag.

texaspokieokie
6/2/2011, 04:00 PM
Key phrase: "As LONG as he's responsible for lots of $$$$$" - when tu continues to lose to OU, revs will decline and the short horns will want his head. Mark it down.

He's been there 30 years. he's survived OU winning 85-88 & 2000-2004.

at present time OU has won 1 in a row.

i doubt if he's worried in the least about job security. he's already way past
normal retirement age.

MARK IT DOWN

it's the "5-7" that might get him, but since he hired Brown & Brown's record (overall) is still good, "5-7" probably (or @ least possibly) won't happen again.

TexasFight'69
6/2/2011, 04:04 PM
TEXAS has a 20-year $300 million dollar contract with ESPN

Why would they care about ND?

MeMyself&Me
6/2/2011, 04:13 PM
TEXAS has a 20-year $300 million dollar contract with ESPN

Why would they care about ND?

If you have to ask that in such simplistic terms, it's probably too complicated for you to understand.

texaspokieokie
6/2/2011, 04:24 PM
If you have to ask that in such simplistic terms, it's probably too complicated for you to understand.

better watch it, that's probly "lid" in disguise.
not really txfite69

TexasFight'69
6/2/2011, 04:27 PM
LOL,

clever retort

What I meant was why should TEXAS care about ND or OU or A&M or OSU or anybody else in the Big 12-2?

Does that clear it up for you?

NormanPride
6/2/2011, 04:30 PM
Because 90% of them beat the **** out of you last year?

MeMyself&Me
6/2/2011, 04:33 PM
How about the fact that Texas would make more with Notre Dame in the conference. How about the fact that Texas would make less with OU out of the conference. How about the fact that Texas wants to keep traditional rivals like aTm. I don't think they give a **** about OSU though.

We could go on but I'm guessing you're one of those typical 'arrogant without reason' whorens that can't see past the Tejas state lines which makes a rational discussion very difficult.

TexasFight'69
6/2/2011, 04:37 PM
Yep, TEXAS had a bad year...

Perhaps a SEC OL coach from Georgia, a SEC DL coach from Alabama, a new DC and a new OC (Harsin, ring a bell?), and a top 3, 2011 recruiting class might help

Ya think?

texaspokieokie
6/2/2011, 04:49 PM

Perhaps a SEC OL coach from Georgia, a SEC DL coach from Alabama, a new DC and a new OC (Harsin, ring a bell?), and a top 3, 2011 recruiting class might help

Ya think?

See there MM&M, i tolja that he's lid incognito. VERY clever !!!

Jacie
6/2/2011, 04:54 PM

Ya think?

So now it comes out. All along sa*et employed unqualified losers to coach their beloved football team and THAT accounts for 5-7 but now that all those sluggards have been shown the door, the whorns will climb to the pinnacle of D-1.

Don't mention that whole sense-of-entitlement thing that hasn't really been dealt with.

TexasFight'69
6/2/2011, 04:58 PM
Well, isn't that what you okies have been stressing?

1) Predictable offense
2) Soft defense
3) Lousy coaching
4) Can't develop top talent

Perhaps Mack has been paying attention to you after all :)

texaspokieokie
6/2/2011, 04:59 PM
So now it comes out. All along sa*et employed unqualified losers to coach their beloved football team and THAT accounts for 5-7 but now that all those sluggards have been shown the door, the whorns will climb to the pinnacle of D-1.

Don't mention that whole sense-of-entitlement thing that hasn't really been dealt with.

Ya think ???

SoonerofAlabama
6/2/2011, 05:04 PM
Well, isn't that what you okies have been stressing?

1) Predictable offense
2) Soft defense
3) Lousy coaching
4) Can't develop top talent

Perhaps Mack has been paying attention to you after all :)

Our coaches suck??????? How??????? How do we not develop top players? We just had Rookie of the year and all of our draft picks did well. That is enough to make your argument completely bogus.

SoonerofAlabama
6/2/2011, 05:06 PM
Our offense is predictable? How is that? I would love to hear more on this. And our defense is not up to some standards, but neither is any in the Big XII. Wasn't Texas the top defense in the league? look how that worked out for them.

texaspokieokie
6/2/2011, 05:06 PM
SoA, i think he meant TX.

TexasFight'69
6/2/2011, 05:08 PM
I realize OU has never had a bad season...so perhaps their fans are unaware of how it feels to fall from a BCS title game to 5-7 in one year...

Clearly there were serious problems...

I don't think TEXAS is going to turn it around over night, but they have set in motion a viable game plan to get back to where they were and will be again..

Being unranked in the preseason top 25 helps a lot

Thanks pollsters!

SoonerofAlabama
6/2/2011, 05:09 PM
But the "Mack has been paying attention to you after all" comment is what I am responding to.

SoonerofAlabama
6/2/2011, 05:11 PM
Didn't they put Te*as at 20?

Jacie
6/2/2011, 05:32 PM
From the I-Did-Not-Know-That department:

3. Paul Chryst, Wisconsin offensive coordinator

The buzz: He pushed the buttons on one of the best Big Ten offenses ever last season, his seventh in Madison. Chryst, 45, interviewed for the Texas offensive coordinator job. But he rejected an offer of close to $1 million per season to remain with the Badgers.

So Harsin was at best their second choice . . .

TexasFight'69
6/2/2011, 07:14 PM
Chryst rightly decided to stay with Wisconsin and the Big 10.

Harsin's offensive philosophy fit better with with Mack and co OC, Major Applewhite.

Harsin's offense at Boise State is a matter of record

OU fans likely are well aware

King Barry's Back
6/2/2011, 07:44 PM

I never understood this attitude. If a championship game is good for our conference, we should have it, regardless of what others do. And if it's bad for the conference, we shouldn't have it, regardless of what others do.

I've always wondered if he just didn't like the game, and used the "until everybody else does it" argument so he didn't sound so negative.

King Barry's Back
6/2/2011, 07:49 PM

Right. AU and ASU are not going to leave the LA/SF/Seattle/Portland TV markets in exchange for Dallas/Houston/San Antonio.

That's why the mega-BigXII/Pac 10 merger made so much sense. Get all those markets into one league.