PDA

View Full Version : Florida Welfare Law

StoopTroup
6/1/2011, 03:02 PM
Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

Saying it is "unfair for Florida taxpayers to subsidize drug addiction," Gov. Rick Scott on Tuesday signed legislation requiring adults applying for welfare assistance to undergo drug screening.

"It's the right thing for taxpayers," Scott said after signing the measure. "It's the right thing for citizens of this state that need public assistance. We don't want to waste tax dollars. And also, we want to give people an incentive to not use drugs."

Under the law, which takes effect on July 1, the Florida Department of Children and Family Services will be required to conduct the drug tests on adults applying to the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. The aid recipients would be responsible for the cost of the screening, which they would recoup in their assistance if they qualify. Those who fail the required drug testing may designate another individual to receive the benefits on behalf of their children.

Shortly after the bill was signed, five Democrats from the state's congressional delegation issued a joint statement attacking the legislation, one calling it "downright unconstitutional."

"Governor Scott's new drug testing law is not only an affront to families in need and detrimental to our nation's ongoing economic recovery, it is downright unconstitutional," said Rep. Alcee Hastings. "If Governor Scott wants to drug test recipients of TANF benefits, where does he draw the line? Are families receiving Medicaid, state emergency relief, or educational grants and loans next?"

Rep. Corrine Brown said the tests "represent an extreme and illegal invasion of personal privacy."

"Indeed, investigating people when there is probable cause to suspect they are abusing drugs is one thing," Brown said in the joint statement. "But these tests amount to strip searching our state's most vulnerable residents merely because they rely on the government for financial support during these difficult economic times."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/06/01/florida.welfare.drug.testing/index.html?hpt=us_c2

NormanPride
6/1/2011, 03:07 PM
So what happens when we kick the druggies off welfare? They steal, kill and go to jail. Then they're even MORE of a tax drain on us.

Jammin'
6/1/2011, 03:07 PM
I 100% back this legislation. It's one thing for you to use drugs. It's a completely different situation for you to ask me to buy them for you. Wish we had the same thing in OK.

("me" in this instance is a reference to Florida taxpayers)

delhalew
6/1/2011, 03:14 PM
I don't want to buy beer and cigarettes for welfare recipients either, but that one is more difficult.

I wish every state would do what Florida has done.

I encourage every hard working man to get wasted and do blow off a hookers ***, but I ain't paying for it.

StoopTroup
6/1/2011, 03:15 PM
I don't want to buy beer and cigarettes for welfare recipients either, but that one is more difficult.

I wish every state would do what Florida has done.

I encourage every hard working man to get wasted and do blow off a hookers ***, but I ain't paying for it.

The hooker or the blow?

NormanPride
6/1/2011, 03:19 PM
Do hookers take food stamps?

delhalew
6/1/2011, 03:33 PM
The hooker or the blow?

The blow. The world would be a better place if you could go to DHS and get a hooker voucher.

delhalew
6/1/2011, 03:34 PM
Do hookers take food stamps?

If you're in the right neighborhood they do.

pphilfran
6/1/2011, 03:39 PM
Pass or fail the applicant shouldn't have to pay for the test...

KantoSooner
6/1/2011, 03:40 PM
All you needed to read of that article were the names "Alcee Hastings' and 'Corrine Brown'.

They are undoubtedly two of the most unqualified legislators in the country. Frankly, I'm surprised Brown was able to enunciate the sentence she is quoted as having made.

Still, you have to give credit to both for supporting their constituents. I don't think either one received a single vote from anyone who wasn't high and on welfare.

pphilfran
6/1/2011, 03:47 PM
All you needed to read of that article were the names "Alcee Hastings' and 'Corrine Brown'.

They are undoubtedly two of the most unqualified legislators in the country. Frankly, I'm surprised Brown was able to enunciate the sentence she is quoted as having made.

Still, you have to give credit to both for supporting their constituents. I don't think either one received a single vote from anyone who wasn't high and on welfare.

KgbBP9Em00A

SoCaliSooner
6/1/2011, 04:43 PM
If they are on welfare in Florida then they are black and on drugs. It's political science .

EnragedOUfan
6/1/2011, 05:52 PM
As as Conservative Democrat, I'm all for this. This should be a federal law, period.

yermom
6/1/2011, 07:17 PM
why don't they just shoot 'em?

StoopTroup
6/1/2011, 07:21 PM
Pass or fail the applicant shouldn't have to pay for the test...

The stupidest thing about the whole thing is what the testing requirement will be. Urine, Blood or Hair and also....what kind of test panel will be used?

IMO....the first test should be urine and blood and then every so often they should change it up between the three kinds of tests to avoid having to give multi-test panels. Addicts will go to great lengths to beat a test.

Scott D
6/1/2011, 07:23 PM
So what happens when we kick the druggies off welfare? They steal, kill and go to jail. Then they're even MORE of a tax drain on us.

I'll try to make this the only comment I have on this thread....but some of them are doing the other three even while being on welfare.

pphilfran
6/1/2011, 07:23 PM
The stupidest thing about the whole thing is what the testing requirement will be. Urine, Blood or Hair and also....what kind of test panel will be used?

IMO....the first test should be urine and blood and then every so often they should change it up between the three kinds of tests to avoid having to give multi-test panels. Addicts will go to great lengths to beat a test.

I like it...

SanJoaquinSooner
6/1/2011, 07:55 PM
If they test positive, can they be charged with possession?

StoopTroup
6/1/2011, 07:57 PM
If they test positive, can they be charged with possession?

No....deported.....lol

pphilfran
6/1/2011, 08:01 PM
No....deported.....lol

Only if they are straddling the border...in Florida I think they have to have one foot in the water....

OUinFLA
6/1/2011, 08:06 PM
Rick Scott is not our most popular elected head of our state.
I will give him credit that so far he has taken some difficult stands for the benefit of all the citizens of Florida, not just the political action groups.

He has made decisions that I didnt agree with, but overall, Im convenced his stand will continue to be " Damn my political career, you elected me to direct the State in the right direction"

He's not making tons of friends, but his agenda continues to be "what is best for Florida is the correct agenda to follow".

Our home insurance is out of control and Im seeing him make moves to correct that issue. Hopefully, soon, those of us mid-tier Floridians will not be paying add-ons to our insurance so the upper-tier can build multi-million dollar homes right next to the ocean in harms way, and have subsidized insurance rates. . Already he is cancelling our state funded wind storm coverage for waterfront homes valued at over $500,000. That would be most water front homes as it is not unusual for lots to cost that much, let alone the 5000 sq ft + homes that are built on them.

So far, my vote for him has not been wasted.

IMO this latest move for welfare recipients is a good one. I don't mind helping the needy, but.............. needy for drugs doesn't sit well with me

Breadburner
6/1/2011, 08:08 PM
I love this...Now if being on birth control for welfare recipients was mandatory too....

Sooner5030
6/1/2011, 08:13 PM
meh....I don't like welfare and I hate drug testing.

this is a no win debate for me.

on the other hand......it is possible to produce your own pot without using your entitlement/confiscation.from.taxpayer cash from the gubment.

just saying

pphilfran
6/1/2011, 08:17 PM

on the other hand......it is possible to produce your own pot without using your entitlement/confiscation.from.taxpayer cash from the gubment.

just saying

Don't care...they should be spending more time hunting for a job and less time growing herb...

pphilfran
6/1/2011, 08:18 PM
Rick Scott is not our most popular elected head of our state.
I will give him credit that so far he has taken some difficult stands for the benefit of all the citizens of Florida, not just the political action groups.

He has made decisions that I didnt agree with, but overall, Im convenced his stand will continue to be " Damn my political career, you elected me to direct the State in the right direction"

He's not making tons of friends, but his agenda continues to be "what is best for Florida is the correct agenda to follow".

Our home insurance is out of control and Im seeing him make moves to correct that issue. Hopefully, soon, those of us mid-tier Floridians will not be paying add-ons to our insurance so the upper-tier can build multi-million dollar homes right next to the ocean in harms way, and have subsidized insurance rates. . Already he is cancelling our state funded wind storm coverage for waterfront homes valued at over $500,000. That would be most water front homes as it is not unusual for lots to cost that much, let alone the 5000 sq ft + homes that are built on them.

So far, my vote for him has not been wasted.

IMO this latest move for welfare recipients is a good one. I don't mind helping the needy, but.............. needy for drugs doesn't sit well with me

Sounds like the guy has some nuts...I hope it works out...

sooner ngintunr
6/1/2011, 08:27 PM
Don't care...they should be spending more time hunting for a job and less time growing herb...

Alot of people on welfare work full time jobs.

pphilfran
6/1/2011, 08:29 PM

True...it was more a joke than anything...

Sooner_Tuf
6/1/2011, 08:52 PM

just saying

It is possible to get a job and support your own family too.

delhalew
6/1/2011, 09:17 PM

Sounds like they need two full time jobs.

StoopTroup
6/1/2011, 09:30 PM
He protests to much?

Memtig14
6/1/2011, 09:53 PM
So what happens when we kick the druggies off welfare? They steal, kill and go to jail.

Kinda like they do now.

Memtig14
6/1/2011, 09:54 PM
I love this...Now if being on birth control for welfare recipients was mandatory too....

Now your talkin.

I'll vote for ya.

StoopTroup
6/1/2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah...unfortunately it's gonna be difficult to force Birth Control on people you are drug testing....lol