PDA

View Full Version : Missouri River Flooding

royalfan5
6/1/2011, 11:24 AM
Has anyone else been paying attention to this? They have opened all the Pick-Sloan Dams all the way up, and are expected to hit record flows soon. Good chance that we put 7-10 feet on the River in the next couple of days, and all if this is before a record snowpack in Montana starts melting.

sappstuf
6/1/2011, 11:30 AM
Has anyone else been paying attention to this? They have opened all the Pick-Sloan Dams all the way up, and are expected to hit record flows soon. Good chance that we put 7-10 feet on the River in the next couple of days, and all if this is before a record snowpack in Montana starts melting.

Forgive my ignorance, but if the snowpack isn't melting yet, where is the water coming from? Have they gotten a lot of rain that I missed up there?

royalfan5
6/1/2011, 11:32 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but if the snowpack isn't melting yet, where is the water coming from? Have they gotten a lot of rain that I missed up there?

It's been one of the wettest springs on record.

OULenexaman
6/1/2011, 11:33 AM
I have.....and from what I have seen so far everything is shaping up to resemble the flood of 1993.

sappstuf
6/1/2011, 11:35 AM
It's been one of the wettest springs on record.

I didn't know it had reached that far north. I know many ski resorts are still open with lots of snow. I ran across this article the other day about the snow.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/27/2907381/heavy-snows-spoil-weekend-holiday.html

royalfan5
6/1/2011, 11:37 AM
I didn't know it had reached that far north. I know many ski resorts are still open with lots of snow. I ran across this article the other day about the snow.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/27/2907381/heavy-snows-spoil-weekend-holiday.html

Well, I have a job that requires me to pay a lot of attention to rainfall amounts. It's why Spring Wheat planting is way behind.

royalfan5
6/3/2011, 08:02 AM
So one of the big dams in South Dakota is less than 3 feet away from hitting the emergency uncontrolled spillway. They are putting this pretty close to a 500 year flood in some areas.

Sooner11JK
6/3/2011, 08:51 AM
How much is Omaha in the crosshairs? The CWS is in a couple of weeks. That new stadium sits pretty close to the river.

royalfan5
6/3/2011, 09:01 AM
How much is Omaha in the crosshairs? The CWS is in a couple of weeks. That new stadium sits pretty close to the river.
Council Bluffs will take it harder than Omaha as the water wants to go that way. The new stadiums is about 10 feet above the projected crest for now.

swardboy
6/3/2011, 10:10 AM
Don't tell me....and the snowfall is a record too, just about to melt?

Oh, you did tell me.

IndySooner
6/3/2011, 10:23 AM

My aunt & uncle and two cousins live right on the river (and a lake) in Dakota Dunes outside of Sioux City. They have all had to evacuate. My aunt & uncle have a beautiful home, probably $500-$750K, maybe more, and they're expecting water not only in the basement but all the way up into the first floor.

The videos and pictures are horrible.

IndySooner
6/3/2011, 10:24 AM
I have.....and from what I have seen so far everything is shaping up to resemble the flood of 1993.

It's MUCH worse than 1993 along the Missouri. The rest of the area won't be as bad.

IndySooner
6/3/2011, 10:25 AM
So one of the big dams in South Dakota is less than 3 feet away from hitting the emergency uncontrolled spillway. They are putting this pretty close to a 500 year flood in some areas.

Yep. My family is being told to prepare for a 500 year flood. Complete devastation. They're told to be prepared to be out of their homes for at least 2 months.

sappstuf
6/6/2011, 09:28 AM
Any updates?

royalfan5
6/6/2011, 09:55 AM
Any updates?

Levee failed at Hamburg, IA, on the IA/MO/NE border. Levee has a boil just south of Council Bluffs. All the big elevators on Omaha/CB have cleaned out all their grain, and expect to be out of action until September at the earliest. Water table is rising fast in CB to put water in basements.

KantoSooner
6/6/2011, 11:22 AM
What's the prediction on the snowpack melting? Timing.

royalfan5
6/6/2011, 11:24 AM
What's the prediction on the snowpack melting? Timing.

It warmed up quite a bit this week, so it should be in the very near future. Crest is projected for the middle of next week.

KantoSooner
6/6/2011, 11:38 AM
You seem to be involved in or at least have a grasp of ag commodities. With this flood happening now and the drought affecting Western Oklahoma, Texas and parts of Kansas, and all of this folowing on a bad season last year in Russia and another bad one (looks like) this year. what does that do to grain prices?
Just 'upward pressure'? Or 'Aiyee, Aiyee, bread riots in the streets!'?

OULenexaman
6/6/2011, 11:47 AM
Levee failed at Hamburg, IA, on the IA/MO/NE border. Levee has a boil just south of Council Bluffs. All the big elevators on Omaha/CB have cleaned out all their grain, and expect to be out of action until September at the earliest. Water table is rising fast in CB to put water in basements. and now another one today....

ROCK PORT, Mo. | A second partial breach has been reported on a Missouri River levee in northwest Missouri.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers reported the first breach on the levee near the Missouri-Iowa border on Sunday. The second breach, which is about 10 feet wide, was reported Monday.

The corps said the Iowa National Guard has been dropping thousands of pounds of large sandbags to help fill the breaches, but the damaged areas are expected to fully breach as water levels rise.

Officials in Iowa and Missouri began evacuations Sunday from Hamburg, Iowa, and from several homes on the Missouri side of the levee because of the breaches.

The corps has predicted record river flows and large releases from several upstream reservoirs because of steady spring rain and runoff from record snowpack.

| The Associated Press

royalfan5
6/6/2011, 11:50 AM
You seem to be involved in or at least have a grasp of ag commodities. With this flood happening now and the drought affecting Western Oklahoma, Texas and parts of Kansas, and all of this folowing on a bad season last year in Russia and another bad one (looks like) this year. what does that do to grain prices?
Just 'upward pressure'? Or 'Aiyee, Aiyee, bread riots in the streets!'?

I do risk management for farmers/stockmen. Once you get north of 1-70, there is some pretty good wheat which should take some pressure off, India has a bunch of exportable wheat as well. If Russia comes in at the high side of the estimates, it should keep things from getting too out of hand, but we won't know much there for another 6 weeks. As far as the flooding, goes outside the flood plain stuff looks good, and if we have good growing weather, sliding demand should keep us from mass hysteria. If the weather fails us again, all bets are off.