PDA

View Full Version : Storm Shelter

Jammin'
6/1/2011, 09:28 AM
I'm having a storm shelter put in later this month. Thought I'd see if any of you had a recommendation. I'm doing the flat shelter in the garage.

jk the sooner fan
6/1/2011, 09:32 AM
one of the former posters on this board works for the company that designed/makes that flat shelter - i think they're highly recommended - and a pretty good idea

my only concern is how do you get in if your car is covering the shelter - how much room do you need to slither down in that thing

sooner_born_1960
6/1/2011, 09:39 AM
Along those lines... I'm concerned that I'd have to move the car to the driveway to access the shelter. 99% of the time, there would be no tornado, but hail would get the car.

jk the sooner fan
6/1/2011, 09:41 AM
Along those lines... I'm concerned that I'd have to move the car to the driveway to access the shelter. 99% of the time, there would be no tornado, but hail would get the car.

major and valid concern imo

SoCaliSooner
6/1/2011, 09:42 AM
I'm having a storm shelter put in later this month. Thought I'd see if any of you had a recommendation. I'm doing the flat shelter in the garage.

Why would you spend so very little to virtually assure your families safety when you can get sucked up and out of a bathtub?

rekamrettuB
6/1/2011, 09:43 AM
Had a friend look into that and she said in larger garages you could access the shelter w/out moving car. But, the shelters are only 4.5 feet tall.

DRLSooner
6/1/2011, 09:47 AM
We're about to get the ball rolling on a shelter as well. Heres my question about the flat-top in the garage (this may be a ridiculous question but I have to ask):

What if a monster tornado basically destroys everything, including tearing out the hot water heater. Now lets say something lands on top of the door and I cant get out... will the water that is spewing from the water heater line infiltrate the cellar, fill up, and kill me dead by drowning?

Like I said, maybe a silly question but these are the things my wife and kids are asking and I'm like well I never thought of that.

The Profit
6/1/2011, 09:47 AM
We are going to have one installed just beyond our back patio. I believe it holds 8-10 people.

pphilfran
6/1/2011, 09:48 AM
I will probably retrofit a Texas Tech design in my walk in closet...I have a slab foundation so the retrofit will be relatively easy....it can withstand 250 mph....I get excited about it in the spring but lose interest the rest of the year...

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/weweb/Shelters/InResShelter.php

jk the sooner fan
6/1/2011, 09:52 AM
We're about to get the ball rolling on a shelter as well. Heres my question about the flat-top in the garage (this may be a ridiculous question but I have to ask):

What if a monster tornado basically destroys everything, including tearing out the hot water heater. Now lets say something lands on top of the door and I cant get out... will the water that is spewing from the water heater line infiltrate the cellar, fill up, and kill me dead by drowning?

Like I said, maybe a silly question but these are the things my wife and kids are asking and I'm like well I never thought of that.

i asked about that - if you go to their website - they have a demonstration where they've got a pallet of bricks on top of the door and are able to open it

DRLSooner
6/1/2011, 09:53 AM
I will probably retrofit a Texas Tech design in my walk in closet...I have a slab foundation so the retrofit will be relatively easy....it can withstand 250 mph....I get excited about it in the spring but lose interest the rest of the year...

Phil, heres a question for you (again, compliments of my kids)... can an above-ground safe room withstand a vehicle being slammed into it after being thrown by an F5?

pphilfran
6/1/2011, 09:58 AM
We are going to have one installed just beyond our back patio. I believe it holds 8-10 people.

The lady next door had an above ground shelter built....then she died of a heart attack...wait, back on track....it was a concrete pour (walls and roof) with a look like brick texture on the exterior wall...they colored the mix and it looks close enough to actual brick...

Hell, I just took a pic...

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/006-4.jpg

Sooner_Tuf
6/1/2011, 09:59 AM
I have a 12'x20' storm shelter that is all one pour with rebar woven from the middle of the floor up and over the top and down the other side. Two air vents made from drill pipe and is wired with 110v lights and plug ins.

I am scared of being trapped so it is a good distance from anything else. Not that that will guarantee nothing from landing on the doors but it made me feel better when we built it.

I didn't want water or sewer in it when I built it but after raising three kids it would have a bathroom if I were to do it again. Something about getting the kids up in the middle of the night makes them all have to use the bathroom.

pphilfran
6/1/2011, 10:02 AM
Phil, heres a question for you (again, compliments of my kids)... can an above-ground safe room withstand a vehicle being slammed into it after being thrown by an F5?

A good question...I would think the shelter would lose...

Tech says you will survive nearly any tornado that has been in the US...the closet will lose about a foot of height, width, and depth...Tech does a pretty good job of explaining the shelter at the link I provided...

pphilfran
6/1/2011, 10:03 AM
I have a 12'x20' storm shelter that is all one pour with rebar woven from the middle of the floor up and over the top and down the other side. Two air vents made from drill pipe and is wired with 110v lights and plug ins.

I am scared of being trapped so it is a good distance from anything else. Not that that will guarantee nothing from landing on the doors but it made me feel better when we built it.

I didn't want water or sewer in it when I built it but after raising three kids it would have a bathroom if I were to do it again. Something about getting the kids up in the middle of the night makes them all have to use the bathroom.

That is what they did in the one pictured...

soonercruiser
6/1/2011, 10:11 AM
I'm an owner of an in-floor garage shelter.

This a great way to go!
Have them place the shelter closer to the garage door end of the floor.
That way, when storms are around you simply back up the car enough to expose about half the shelter.
**This way, you have no trouble accessing the sliding door.
***And, if a lot of debris were to fall on top of the shelter, the front end of the car provides enough support to make it more likely you can get out easily.

**One caution. I paid more for the flat-top. (flat to the floor)
Don't do that! Like you, I finally realized that if we took a direct hit, the in-garage water heater line breaking would flood the garage....filling the shelter.
So, I had to trim the edge of mine with decorative tile to keep water away.
:rolleyes:
I rather trip a time or two, than do that again...and pay more for it to boot.

Jammin'
6/1/2011, 10:13 AM
Why would you spend so very little to virtually assure your families safety when you can get sucked up and out of a bathtub?

exactly my thinking as my family was sitting on the floor of our laundry room last week "hoping" the tornado turned from it's path which was online to hit us dead on. It did turn but really, $3K bucks for a storm shelter is cheap. It would cost more to bury a family member, plus I'd have to deal with all that emotion...and stuff.

one of the former posters on this board works for the company that designed/makes that flat shelter - i think they're highly recommended - and a pretty good idea

my only concern is how do you get in if your car is covering the shelter - how much room do you need to slither down in that thing

I have a decent size garage so it shouldn't be an issue.

The company registers our inground shelter with the local fire and police departments. So IF anything did somehow trap us in not only would they know but my family, friends, etc.. would know to look for us.

As to your drowning issue, sounds like god wanted you to die if that happens. Just sit back, relax and let it happen.

OUinFLA
6/1/2011, 11:38 AM
I'm having a storm shelter put in later this month. Thought I'd see if any of you had a recommendation. .

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIYzqGn1jdb9hnqt6CqaT8RGLiWp6wt DmgN3kck66Z8vWlRAqS&t=1

It's what Im doing when the Hurricane comes through here.

Sooner_Tuf
6/1/2011, 12:08 PM
I'm an owner of an in-floor garage shelter.

This a great way to go!
Have them place the shelter closer to the garage door end of the floor.
That way, when storms are around you simply back up the car enough to expose about half the shelter.
**This way, you have no trouble accessing the sliding door.
***And, if a lot of debris were to fall on top of the shelter, the front end of the car provides enough support to make it more likely you can get out easily.

Don't do that! Like you, I finally realized that if we took a direct hit, the in-garage water heater line breaking would flood the garage....filling the shelter.

Maybe invest $50 in a water shut off valve you can get to quickly on your way underground?

soonercruiser
6/1/2011, 01:36 PM
Maybe invest $50 in a water shut off valve you can get to quickly on your way underground?

Yah! :rolleyes:
Like that's what I need to be doing when a tornado is close buy.
BTW - my whole house slab is above the garage level too!

jk the sooner fan
6/1/2011, 01:38 PM
Yah! :rolleyes:
Like that's what I need to be doing when a tornado is close buy.
BTW - my whole house slab is above the garage level too!

i dunno, i think you'd spend more time getting everybody rounded up and into the cellar than you would turning a valve....seems like a no brainer to me

soonerchk
6/1/2011, 01:40 PM
What do you people know about the garage installed safe rooms?

Condescending Sooner
6/1/2011, 01:59 PM

The tornado would be in another state before the line to the hot water heater would have time to flood a garage and fill a shelter.

Jammin'
6/1/2011, 02:06 PM
What do you people know about the garage installed safe rooms?

I know that you can install a safe room in your garage. I'm quite usefull.

The tornado would be in another state before the line to the hot water heater would have time to flood a garage and fill a shelter.

But if the house fell and was somehow keeping your double sliding exit doors from opening, the thing may fill up before SoCal can reach you to chainsaw you out.

3rdgensooner
6/1/2011, 02:19 PM

So, since my house has poured concrete walls, I just need to reinforce the ceiling in one room?

Lott's Bandana
6/1/2011, 02:59 PM
So, since my house has poured concrete walls, I just need to reinforce the ceiling in one room?

It's all about the door and frame and its resistance to missile impact.

Many structures that handle the wind pressures succumb to the breach of the shelter envelope by flying debris.

FEMA 320 certification requires the door to withstand a 15' 2x4 shot from a cannon at 100mph...3 times. These doors are expensive.

Get underground if you can. FEMA waves impact test requirements if the shelter is below grade.

BTW, NOTHING is certified to withstand winds over 250mph. (May 3, 1999 = 319mph in Moore)

Jammin'
6/1/2011, 03:01 PM
It's all about the door and frame and its resistance to missile impact.

Many structures that handle the wind pressures succumb to the breach of the shelter envelope by flying debris.

FEMA 320 certification requires the door to withstand a 15' 2x4 shot from a cannon at 100mph...3 times. These doors are expensive.

Get underground if you can. FEMA waves impact test requirements if the shelter is below grade.

BTW, NOTHING is certified to withstand winds over 250mph. (May 3, 1999 = 319mph in Moore)

Hey Lott's, would any safe room protect you if the nadar picked up your car and hurled it into the room at a decent rate?

SoCaliSooner
6/1/2011, 04:47 PM

I'd look into the garage floor shelter. Your walls may still collapse and you may get pelted with debris through the windows. I would rather chance something below ground than any above ground structure.

Lott's Bandana
6/1/2011, 04:50 PM
Hey Lott's, would any safe room protect you if the nadar picked up your car and hurled it into the room at a decent rate?

Absolutely depends on the specifics.

Since the nader is strong enough to lift your car, it would likely put a hurt on your shelter when it slams into it. However, if your shelter is built to FEMA standards, it would take a brunt blow and deflect it much better than if your car was an old 60's Caddy, with all the pointy thingys all around.

The important thing is, aside from crushing you (which is a dice roll), the shelter would absorb the car's impact and probably immediately afterwards, the nader would be gone. So, if you aren't oozing out from under the pile, you probably survived the storm.

I can assure you I would rather be in that safe room than in an interior hallway or bathtub when your world becomes like a Saturday night at Bristol.

soonercruiser
6/1/2011, 10:09 PM

..if people are blocked into the floor shelter???
(That was the drift of the discussion about the car parked over the shelter, or outside.)

soonercruiser
6/1/2011, 10:14 PM

So the walls are "poured" concrete.
What thickness?
Reinforced with rebar?
Make to withstand what force?
All depends on the engineering specifics.

Whet
6/1/2011, 11:54 PM
Put a safe room in the basement! Underground and in a safe room....

MR2-Sooner86
6/2/2011, 12:34 AM
I like what my friend did in high school. His family just added a room to their house with steel beams driven into the ground, steel plates for the walls, concrete with rebar reinforcement poured between the steel plates, a steel roof over all of it, and finally they added sheetrock, brick, and shingles to make it look like just any other room of the house. The room has no windows and the door looks normal but is solid steel with locks. They said they were confident they could stay in there with a F5 directly hitting their house and be safe.

soonerchk
6/2/2011, 09:44 AM
I like what my friend did in high school. His family just added a room to their house with steel beams driven into the ground, steel plates for the walls, concrete with rebar reinforcement poured between the steel plates, a steel roof over all of it, and finally they added sheetrock, brick, and shingles to make it look like just any other room of the house. The room has no windows and the door looks normal but is solid steel with locks. They said they were confident they could stay in there with a F5 directly hitting their house and be safe.

My HOA would have me stoned if I tried that.

Lott's Bandana
6/2/2011, 10:35 AM

If you're talking old-school EF5 and not the new EF5, I'd bet on the tornado...still, it sounds like they've done everything they can.

The guidelines for a (commercial, principals the same) safe room to 250MPH:

http://www.fema.gov/library/viewRecord.do?id=1657

soonercruiser
6/2/2011, 12:35 PM

How old are you MR2?
Back when I was in high school, those specs were bomb shelters!
:D

dynersooner
6/2/2011, 12:43 PM
all this b/c 130 out of 50,000 ppl in Joplin died?

Jammin, go back to your earlier post. If a twister lands square on your house, and yanks you out of your bathtub, then maybe god wants you dead...

no **** here, fellas.. what are the effing odds you die in a tornado? an earthquake??? .0000000001%? come on!

soonerchk
6/2/2011, 12:44 PM

Jammin, go back to your earlier post. If a twister lands square on your house, and yanks you out of your bathtub, then maybe god wants you dead...

no **** here, fellas.. what are the effing odds you die in a tornado? an earthquake??? .0000000001%? come on!

I hope a hurricane makes you wet your pants.

soonercruiser
6/2/2011, 12:44 PM
Ahhhhhhhh......I'll take curtain #4!

MR2-Sooner86
6/2/2011, 12:52 PM
How old are you MR2?
Back when I was in high school, those specs were bomb shelters!

I think when they built that was around '03 - '04. Of course it didn't hurt that they had their own business dealing with construction so they knew where to go and who to talk to.

Jammin'
6/2/2011, 01:00 PM

I understand that dewkie. But for $2800? I'll go with the shelter and make it back when I sell the house anyway.

dynersooner
6/2/2011, 01:04 PM
I understand that dewkie. But for $2800? I'll go with the shelter and make it back when I sell the house anyway.

Then the Tornado's have won.

Jammin'
6/2/2011, 01:06 PM
Then the Tornado's have won.

yes, yes they have.

And what the hell is going on with these nadars now-a-days? In my day we used to worry about having to repair a roof, tree, patio furniture when a nadar came through. Now, they all seem to complete blend a house into a smoothie. Has the weather changed or are we building ****tier houses now?

pphilfran
6/2/2011, 01:09 PM
yes, yes they have.

And what the hell is going on with these nadars now-a-days? In my day we used to worry about having to repair a roof, tree, patio furniture when a nadar came through. Now, they all seem to complete blend a house into a smoothie. Has the weather changed or are we building ****tier houses now?

Neither.....there are just more houses....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_F5_and_EF5_tornadoes

dynersooner
6/2/2011, 01:11 PM
more importantly, the houses are older...

qalso, just as many people died, but there wasnt a 24he news-steam to make 130 dead ppl sound like 13,000...

come on! the F5 that hit South OKC in 99 killed what? 5 ppl? five? thats it? and you all are installing $3000 storm shelters? i just dont see it...

OutlandTrophy
6/2/2011, 01:15 PM

qalso, just as many people died, but there wasnt a 24he news-steam to make 130 dead ppl sound like 13,000...

come on! the F5 that hit South OKC in 99 killed what? 5 ppl? five? thats it? and you all are installing $3000 storm shelters? i just dont see it...

you can't see them because they're under the ground, silly boy.

dynersooner
6/2/2011, 01:22 PM
and soon, tohse shelters will go ununsed, and there willbe more deaths from snake and spider bites, than from tornadoes.

Jammin'
6/2/2011, 01:24 PM

Fine dyner, you've brought me to this: stop being poor.

Would you rather I give that kinda change to help cure dyeabeetus? **** that, those fatties can fend for themselves.

MR2-Sooner86
6/2/2011, 01:25 PM

Try going higher like 36.

Jammin'
6/2/2011, 01:26 PM

sidenote: I'm always cool with trying to go higher.

dynersooner
6/2/2011, 01:35 PM

like 36? or 36?

sure it sucks, but the odds of you being one of the 36/ 500,000 that got died is so infinitesimal, that it just doesnt make any sense to put in a $3,000 storm shelter, when you could spend that money on something like an above ground pool, or a pure-breed Mastiff.

Jammin'
6/2/2011, 01:41 PM
like 36? or 36?

sure it sucks, but the odds of you being one of the 36/ 500,000 that got died is so infinitesimal, that it just doesnt make any sense to put in a $3,000 storm shelter, when you could spend that money on something like an above ground pool, or a pure-breed Mastiff.

I will hang a picasso in my $3K shelter in your honor (and jdmt's memory)

Bama Yankee
6/2/2011, 01:47 PM
like 36? or 36?

Are you sure you want to give them that advice, more people drown in pools than die in tornardoes every year...not sure about deaths from pure-breed Mastiffs... ;)

dynersooner
6/2/2011, 02:17 PM
Are you sure you want to give them that advice, more people drown in pools than die in tornardoes every year...not sure about deaths from pure-breed Mastiffs... ;)

exactly, yet i dont see a thread on installing scuba gear into all pools in in the Wheatbelt!!!

DRLSooner
6/2/2011, 02:19 PM

I feel ya, and have argued that very point with the wifey for a few years. Things have changed recently though, my kids are old enough to be scared ****less anytime the sirens blare. Its worth it to me for them to have piece of mind.

Plus, I have money to burn :D

dynersooner
6/2/2011, 02:20 PM
I feel ya, and have argued that very point with the wifey for a few years. Things have changed recently though, my kids are old enough to be scared ****less anytime the sirens blare. Its worth it to me for them to have piece of mind.

would you let alde into your shelter? BE HONEST!!!

Jammin'
6/2/2011, 02:23 PM

Exactly. If I was worried about $3K I would just keep rolling the dice. (heavily-weighted-in-my-favor-dice at that dyner. )

Jammin'
6/2/2011, 02:24 PM
Where the hell is alde? I'd most definitely let him in. I hope to one day masterbate into his beard...but that's a different thread altogether.

dynersooner
6/2/2011, 02:52 PM
Where the hell is alde? I'd most definitely let him in. I hope to one day masterbate into his beard...but that's a different thread altogether.

That not a different thread altogether, thats a SALTY WALRUS!!!

DRLSooner
6/2/2011, 02:59 PM
would you let alde into your shelter? BE HONEST!!!
:D Absolutely, though I'm not sure if Alde would return the favor.

MsProudSooner
6/2/2011, 03:00 PM

I don't care what the odds are, I want my grandson (who will be 1 year old next week and is a terrific little boy) to be as safe as possible. End of story.

Bama Yankee
6/2/2011, 03:02 PM
That not a different thread altogether, thats a SALTY WALRUS!!!

...what kills more each year: tornadoes, prue-breed Mastiffs or Salty Walruses?

3rdgensooner
6/2/2011, 03:07 PM
...what kills more each year: tornadoes, prue-breed Mastiffs or Salty Walruses?If the Mastiffs have a firearm stash like the one recently uncovered in Prue, I'd be very concerned.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5504/gunsm.jpg

dynersooner
6/2/2011, 03:09 PM
^^^3g is PWNING BIOITCHES TODAY!!!

yhou havent been grammarowned, till youve bben 3g'ed!!!

JDMT
6/2/2011, 03:12 PM
I wish John Wayne was still alive.

3rdgensooner
6/2/2011, 03:12 PM
^^^3g is PWNING BIOITCHES TODAY!!!

yhou havent been grammarowned, till youve bben 3g'ed!!!Were you drooling when you typed that?

Jammin'
6/2/2011, 03:14 PM
I wish John Wayne was still alive.

Why, you horny?

dynersooner
6/2/2011, 03:16 PM
Were you drooling when you typed that?

i fail to see how that is relevant to this discussion.

furthermore, i fail to see how you arent the most popular personality on any message board you traverse. its shocking, really...

dynersooner
6/2/2011, 03:21 PM
ps, how do you spell queleudes???

DIB
6/2/2011, 03:22 PM
Why, you horny?

Maybe he likes impacted feces. Thaum, amiryte?

3rdgensooner
6/2/2011, 03:24 PM
furthermore, i fail to see how you arent the most popular personality on any message board you traverse.
I am.

In my mind

soonerchk
6/2/2011, 03:33 PM
i fail to see how that is relevant to this discussion.

furthermore, i fail to see how you arent the most popular personality on any message board you traverse. its shocking, really...

I know that I will do handstands to get her to spek me.

Adrian
6/2/2011, 08:09 PM
I'd invite Alde into my storm shelter, but the first time he corrected my grammar, he'd be OUT into the storm...

SoCaliSooner
6/2/2011, 08:26 PM
I'd invite Alde into my storm shelter, but the first time he corrected my grammar, he'd be OUT into the storm...

If he was in my storm shelter, I'd get out and brave the twister.

DRLSooner
6/3/2011, 10:04 AM
I went and looked at Ground Zero in S. OKC yesterday. The small one ($2800.00) is just ridiculously small, no way my borderline claustrophobia allows me to sit in there.

The larger one, while still small, is 2 feet wider and makes all the difference in the world. Its $4295.00 and just seems like the much better fit for us.

Obviously theyre backed up, they have us tentatively booked for September 7th but she said it could be sooner if the summer goes well (?).

The interesting thing to me is that the larger, concrete cellars that go in the back yard are actually less-expensive. Thats really what I would prefer, I'd like to be able to stand up in the thing, but you have to have so much space available. With my building, pool, landscaping, etc. theres just no room for it.

swardboy
6/3/2011, 10:14 AM
Absolutely go with this bad boy....has a hydraulic jack to insure you can get out: http://www.tornadoproject.com/safety/hartland.htm