PDA

View Full Version : Malt-O-Meal Cereals are the Shiznit...What Else?

SunnySooner
6/1/2011, 09:23 AM
When you go thru as much cereal as we do in our house, it gets pricey, fast. So, I started trying out the Malt-O-Meal knock-off versions in the bags. So far, we've had the fake Lucky Charms, Cap'n Crunch/Crunchberries, Fruity/Cocoa Pebbles, Fruit Loops, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and Frosted Mini-Wheats, and they are all yummy. My kids actually prefer some of the fakes to the originals, and they are WAYYY cheaper. We haven't tried the Cheerios. I've never found a fake Cheerio that was as good as the real thing, so I always cough up the extra coin for that one. It made me start to wonder....

So, my questions, fellow SOers, are these:

1) In these tough times when we all need to pinch a penny til it screams, what knock-off products have you found that are cheaper than the real thing, yet are just as good (food, cleaners, diapers, shampoo, whatever)?

2) What products are you willing to pay full price for? In addition to the Cheerios, I have to have Heinz ketchup. Anything else tastes like tomato-flavored dirt. What say you?

Position Limit
6/1/2011, 09:33 AM
sounds like your kids are off to a healty, vitamin rich start for the day.

tcrb
6/1/2011, 09:41 AM
Kroger's pastas and spaghetti sauces are the best on the shelf imo.

Sooner_Tuf
6/1/2011, 10:09 AM
I agree on the Heinz ketchup. I like just about everything Heinz makes. I order their mustard by the case from out of state because nobody sells it here anymore.

Cereal has always been overpriced. My solution was to keep a couple of hogs and a couple dozen chickens around. Bacon and eggs beats cereal to me any day. Plus you have the added benefit of giving the kids something to do. They were easier to get up because I didn't let them leave until their chores were done. It also keeps them more grounded. Hard to get too uppity when you have to get up every morning to feed the animals and gather eggs.

It's win/win.

Cheez-It
6/1/2011, 10:18 AM
I will not go cheap on Q-Tips.

delhalew
6/1/2011, 10:20 AM
I pay more for my meat at the butcher, because the meat at the grocers is awful. Except the Wright brand applewood smoked Bacon. Blue and Gold sausage from the FFA kids is pretty good.

GDC
6/1/2011, 10:20 AM
I found some chocolate Malt o Meal at the Wal Mart in Muskogee.

delhalew
6/1/2011, 10:21 AM
OOh yeah. Never cheap toilet paper. Never.

Soonerfan88
6/1/2011, 10:24 AM
The MoM version of Honey Nut Cheerios has always been good to me.

My other favorite store brand product is probably Kroger's Diet Dr. K - much cheaper than Diet Dr. Pepper and just as good IMO.

Cheez-It
6/1/2011, 10:33 AM
I use Purex detergent.

Cheap and seems to get the kids clothes clean.

texaspokieokie
6/1/2011, 10:39 AM
OOh yeah. Never cheap toilet paper. Never.

absolutely !!!!!

we get generics, mostly, whenever possible.
i like generic cereal, several kinds.

NormanPride
6/1/2011, 10:53 AM
Toilet paper has to be high quality, absolutely. Everything else... meh. I don't buy one thing enough to really care about getting a name brand.

oumartin
6/1/2011, 11:13 AM
Great value makes good enough 2% milk
they make good heat em and eat em biscuits

sliced cheese,
mac and cheese,
potty paper
q-tips

I could never go generic on.

Pozey
6/1/2011, 11:36 AM
I usually buy the Target brand of dishwashing soap and fabric softener. I also will go with a cheaper brand of laundry detergent.

Also...not generic, but Braum's milk is better AND cheaper than any grocery store..

Sooner_Tuf
6/1/2011, 11:55 AM
I will not go cheap on Q-Tips.

Technically Q-Tips are the good ones. The wooden Q-Tips are the only cotton swabs worth buying to me. If you can't those you might as well just use your car keys :P

Pricetag
6/1/2011, 12:55 PM
http://www.commercialfoodsystems.com/images/Bag%20-%20Blueberry%20Muffin%20Tops%20Cereal.jpg
These things are positively decadent.

ouleaf
6/1/2011, 01:11 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aHbdunjuMck/TVG03ONWmuI/AAAAAAAAAFE/aCwvrIctMu4/s1600/1001029_042400039235_A_400.jpeg

Just as good as Cinnamon Toast Crunch for sure.

Come to think of it, Wal-Mart Brand or Store Brand items are most of what i buy when it comes to food. I think the only thing name brand I buy are things from the deli/cheese section.

soonerchk
6/1/2011, 03:29 PM
Have to have Tide laundry detergent, but it's mostly because I break out in hives with Cheer and most other brands.

Diet coke and any other coke. Has to be name brand. I can tell and I do not like.

Yogurt has to be Yoplait.

Surprisingly enough (for those that know me) I'm not really too picky about the rest of it. Whatever is on sale is probably good enough.

WichitaSooner
6/1/2011, 03:46 PM
http://www.commercialfoodsystems.com/images/Bag%20-%20Blueberry%20Muffin%20Tops%20Cereal.jpg
These things are positively decadent.

I bought those the other day because the name alone....

NormanPride
6/1/2011, 03:47 PM
Oh yeah, skim milk has to be from braums. Well, dairy in general. I absolutely despise all the other stuff. Fresher is better!

ouleaf
6/1/2011, 04:04 PM
Diet coke and any other coke. Has to be name brand. I can tell and I do not like.

Yogurt has to be Yoplait.

Oh yeah, definitely stick to the name brands when it comes to Coke, Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, etc.....Have a weakness right now for Cherry Diet Dr. Pepper

Agree on the Yogurt thing too.

texaspokieokie
6/1/2011, 04:49 PM
Oh yeah, skim milk has to be from braums. Well, dairy in general. I absolutely despise all the other stuff. Fresher is better!

braums has lotsa good stuff.

NormanPride
6/1/2011, 05:01 PM
Yes. Why is everything there so tasty?

soonerchk
6/1/2011, 05:30 PM
Yes. Why is everything there so tasty?

I don't know for sure, but I think they feed their dairy cows meth.

NormanPride
6/1/2011, 05:49 PM
Meth cows are happy cows?

pphilfran
6/1/2011, 06:11 PM
I just got home from picking up two gallons of methanized milk..

pphilfran
6/1/2011, 06:12 PM
When I was a kid I lived on Malt O Meal...regular and chocolate...

soonerchk
6/2/2011, 09:53 AM
When I was a kid I lived on Malt O Meal...regular and chocolate...

We were poor, so we had to mix cocoa powder into the regular malt o meal to get chocolate malt o meal.

soonerchk
6/2/2011, 09:53 AM
Meth cows are happy cows?

Keeps them regular?

Romulus
6/2/2011, 10:19 AM
Irish Oatmeal>>>maltomeal

SunnySooner
6/2/2011, 01:41 PM
I've searched all over town and the base, no chocolate Malt-o-Meal. :( They have the regular, but no chocolate. I grew up on that, too, I'd love to have it again. Do they still sell it in OK? Maybe I can get my mom to send me some. Good stuff.

pphilfran
6/2/2011, 01:56 PM
CHocolate Malt O Meal is carried In OKC at the Wally Worlds on 6100
West Reno and 1801 Belle Isle...

For locations in other states...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Malt-O-Meal-Chocolate-Hot-Wheat-Cereal-36-oz/10292117

soonerchk
6/2/2011, 02:00 PM
I've searched all over town and the base, no chocolate Malt-o-Meal. :( They have the regular, but no chocolate. I grew up on that, too, I'd love to have it again. Do they still sell it in OK? Maybe I can get my mom to send me some. Good stuff.

I'm not kidding about putting cocoa powder and a little sugar int he regular Malt O Meal to make chocolate Malt O Meal. There's no way the regular chocolate one is better.

pphilfran
6/2/2011, 02:07 PM
I'm not kidding about putting cocoa powder and a little sugar int he regular Malt O Meal to make chocolate Malt O Meal. There's no way the regular chocolate one is better.

Too much work...I like to be styling when I eat my MOM..not my MOM...M O M...

soonerchk
6/2/2011, 02:10 PM

Thanks for ruining my appetite!

The Profit
6/2/2011, 02:15 PM

That's a little strange Phil.

soonerchk
6/2/2011, 02:17 PM
That's a little strange Phil.

I had no idea that he and MyOpinionMatters were so close. I don't want to know what they're doing in the Malt O Meal, either.:eek:

pphilfran
6/2/2011, 02:52 PM
I had no idea that he and MyOpinionMatters were so close. I don't want to know what they're doing in the Malt O Meal, either.:eek:

Nuttin better than a bathtub full of M O M...get it, nuttin....