PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Memorial Stadium Experience

SoonerofAlabama
5/31/2011, 09:46 PM
Okay, so I was thinking of making the trip to Norman this coming season or possibly next season to see my first Oklahoma football game. I was just wondering what the experience was like on some of your first trips to Owen Field or some of your best trips. Any tips or funny stories would be appreciated.

wishbonesooner
5/31/2011, 09:49 PM
I saw my first Sooner game in person with my dad in 63. He pointed Bud out to me when we were walking in. I didn't get to see another until the Kansas game in 75. Bummer! I've tried to make sure my grandsons have been there at an early age.

agoo758
5/31/2011, 09:49 PM
Honestly man. As a native Louisianan with one game experience. It is like a football movie come to life. Unlike LSU games where there is drunk pissing and cursing in front of children, there is a positive atmosphere unlike any other place in the country that completely consumes the town. You will love it.

BetterSoonerThanLater
5/31/2011, 09:50 PM
you won't regret it, and you 'll never get enough.

goingoneight
5/31/2011, 10:14 PM
Two experiences I'll remember til my dying day about Norman gamedays:

1. Meeting Bob Stoops before OU/Nebraska 2000, and literally witnessing before my very eyes the change of culture happen in one single game from "close but no cigar" to national prominence. The crowd fed off of the energy that the coaches and players exerted that day and knew it was our time from the comeback in that game onward.

2. Getting to go to watch OU versus Miami in 2007. We heard every piece of trash the visiting 'Canes fans could throw our way. And we sat there and enjoyed every point scored. By the end of the day, our freshman quarterback had more touchdown passes than he had incompletions on the season. There were three young, shirtless 'Canes fans body-painted in "Leave," "No" and "Doubt." Before I could get the words out, they told me to shut the **** up. :D

Sooner_Tuf
5/31/2011, 10:24 PM
Okay, so I was thinking of making the trip to Norman this coming season or possibly next season to see my first Oklahoma football game. I was just wondering what the experience was like on some of your first trips to Owen Field or some of your best trips. Any tips or funny stories would be appreciated.

Bring your ID. Peeps are touchier than they used to be. You won't be able to buy beer without it :D or possibly even with it.

StoopTroup
5/31/2011, 10:37 PM
You don't sit down until we score....

KYSooner
5/31/2011, 10:49 PM
All Day scampered for the two longest runs of his career as OU dismantled Orange power.

Section 9
5/31/2011, 10:49 PM
You have to get there an hour before the game so you can watch the warm-up and hear "It's football time in Oklahoma!".

BASSooner
5/31/2011, 10:59 PM
OU vs Tech several years ago. best one ive ever been to. The game against mizzery when booger daniels was on the team would have to be my 2nd favorite. talk about dramatic and intense!

CrimsonRez
5/31/2011, 11:14 PM
John Blake's last game....lol

MyT Oklahoma
5/31/2011, 11:22 PM
Get there as early as you can and look around. There are plenty of things to do in every direction. Over time you will chose your own game day traditions.

But don't put off making your first trip to the Snake Pit as soon as you possibly can. I waited way too long for my first game in Norman.

P.S. You will have a great time.

NOVSooner
6/1/2011, 07:30 AM
i live in Mississippi and try to make a game a season and each time is great. the atmosphere of the 08 tech game was unmatched that i've been to but seeing all the tents, watching warm-ups, chants, all of it. i'll be making the a&m game this season and man i can't wait! we can tell you all about it, but it's just something you have to experience!

texaspokieokie
6/1/2011, 07:41 AM
Bring your ID. Peeps are touchier than they used to be. You won't be able to buy beer without it :D or possibly even with it.

going by his profile; he won't be able to buy beer, either with or without his ID.

i think my 1st game in norman was in 1954, my sr. yr in hi-school.(1955 grad)
all i remember is OU kicked butt of oklahoma a & m.

i also remember the 3 guys with whom i made the trip from okmulgee,2 of which are gone.

we stayed in jock dorm, provided by okmulgee guy that was on track team. this part is vague.

was a great trip !!!!

rock on sooner
6/1/2011, 08:08 AM
Saw OU beat Missouri 13-0 in 1962...Joe Don Looney roaming Owen Field...
only game ever in Norman in person unfortunately. Still a lifelong lover affair!

Soonerfan88
6/1/2011, 08:13 AM
As it would be your first visit, plan to get there earlier enough on Friday to visit the Switzer Center. It is closed on game Saturdays because of recruiting.

Take the morning to walk all around but get to your seats no later than an hour before kick-off to watch the warm-ups and pregame.

JLEW1818
6/1/2011, 08:21 AM
my favorite part is after the team video intro, when it's showing the players come out of the locker room and walking towards the tunnel when the music in the background.

gets me going.

Section 9
6/1/2011, 08:23 AM
The 2000 season was an incredible time as a Sooner fan. I had never heard it so loud in the stadium as it was during the Nebraska game. But, the Tech game a couple of years ago was the most amazing game I have ever been to. It was just pure fun!

SoonerLVZ
6/1/2011, 08:54 AM
I would suggest to get there a few hours early, walk around and see the tailgates and the campus. Then head over to campus corner and watch the band walk to the stadium (if you've never seen it before, it's kind of cool) get to your seats about 20-30 minutes to soak in the atmosphere. Seeing the band on the field, then the video intro. To me it is close to a religious experience.

NMSooner'80
6/1/2011, 09:10 AM
My first game was in 1970, right after I turned 13 in November. OU avenged a bad loss to Missouri, which still had superstar WR Mel Gray, by winning 28-13.

Hottest day: 2000 opener vs. UTEP. Thank God that wasn't a day game!

Coldest day: 1974 vs. OSU in the season finale. It was about 15 degrees and we were facing a stiff north wind. But when Little Joe broke that miraculous punt return for a TD, we didn't feel a thing except joy.

Best game: still to this day for me - 1979 season finale vs. Nebraska, which was also my last home game as an OU student. OU won, 17-14, and we barely sat down except at halftime. Billy Sims ran for 247 yards and lost about 40 more on a bogus clip call that wiped out a TD run. And my Monday morning classmate that year, J.C. Watts, scored what proved to be winning TD on a fourth down option run at the south end.

deweydw
6/1/2011, 09:23 AM
My first time was TCU in '08. Got there a few hours early. Walked around campus, which is really nice. Made the rounds, campus corner, heisman park. And make sure you make it around to the tailgate area. About an hour before the game make your way to the north end of the stadium. There you will see the Sooner Schooner make it's way in the stadium. Along with the Pride, cheerleader's, and the supermen of the student section. Lot's of food and fun before the game. But what really was cool to see, is when the Pride took the field pre-game. And make sure to yell "Home of the Sooners!".

You'll have a great time.

virginiasooner
6/1/2011, 09:42 AM
As it would be your first visit, plan to get there earlier enough on Friday to visit the Switzer Center. It is closed on game Saturdays because of recruiting.

Take the morning to walk all around but get to your seats no later than an hour before kick-off to watch the warm-ups and pregame.

If you show your game ticket, you can get into the art museum for free on game day. It's a great little museum with a nice collection of French Impressionism.

The last game we attended was Bedlam 2009 (much better outcome than Bedlam 2001).

soonerboy_odanorth
6/1/2011, 10:16 AM
my favorite part is after the team video intro, when it's showing the players come out of the locker room and walking towards the tunnel when the music in the background.

gets me going.

That is by far my least favorite thing that they've added in the last three-four years. It's a direct ripoff of Nebraska's "walk" (albeit with better music instead of the the Chicago Bulls ripoff that Nebraska does.)

OU Engineer
6/1/2011, 10:53 AM
I really don't know if you could take it ALL in in your first game, which means you need to start planning your second trip now too!

I would definitely check out the Switzer center, take a walk down Lindsey St. and stroll around Campus Corner.

You can also stop by the Northwest corner of the stadium where the Ruf/Neks and the Schooner stay before the game.

Make sure to be in your seats 20-30 minutes before kickoff. IMHO the best parts start there with the punt at the end of warmups, the first drum notes of the season, and the intro video...

SoonerofAlabama
6/1/2011, 11:06 AM
So, do I need to get there a day or two in advance?

Dwight
6/1/2011, 11:11 AM
Texas Tech in 2008 was insane.

nativesooner
6/1/2011, 11:21 AM
6 things to remember if you want to be a "real" fan. 1. Get wasted before the game. 2. Get to your seat early and take over half the next persons seat. 3. Scream "Sooners" instead of "Brave" during the national anthem and if they have a moment of silence for any reason. 4. Stand the ENTIRE GAME (even during time outs and halftime). 5. If someone asks you to sit down or be quiet, threaten their lives! Even if it is a kid or elderly lady. 6. Use names like Zac Latimer, Cedric Jones and Rocky Bright when you're telling the person next to you who just made the tackle. :D

Just kidding! I do suggest getting in there at least 45 minutes early to catch all the pregame fanfare. A night game is real fun but don't drink too much tailgating. The folks are right about the Tech game, it was AWESOME! Even my senior citizen dad was "Jumpin around". Walk up to any tailgate and folks will more than likely offer you food and beverage. If you can, arrive Thursday so you can hit the Switzer Center. I think they're open on Friday mornings too but if not, they are open Thursdays. They aren't open on game days. Be prepared to fall in love with the experience. A wise woman once told me "after growing up watching OU on TV, I finally went to a game in person in college. After that experience, I knew that I'd never watch a home game on TV again!" I now sit next to that woman every Saturday. :)

NormanPride
6/1/2011, 11:26 AM
First game: OU vs OSU in '99. I don't remember too much other than OSU's only points coming off of a picked shuttle pass in the 4th quarter. Poor backup QB. :(

Hottest game: 2001 Bama. I almost died because the freshmen sat near the water jugs and drank all the water by the end of the first quarter. Running band FTL.

Coldest game: 2006 Colorado... I sat in the upper deck for the first half, but it was so ridiculously windy and cold up there that we had to move. I think ice was forming on my hoodie up there.

Favorite game: Tech 2008. I know it wasn't the best game, but you don't get atmospheres like that every year. It was crazy the whole game, and that was some of the loudest I have ever heard our fans.

Boomer38Sooner
6/1/2011, 11:32 AM
Get there early so that you can see the "There's Only One Oklahoma" intro video. Those are awesome in general but once you see one before a game along with 85,000 of your best friends, you will have chills. I get them every time!

OU Engineer
6/1/2011, 12:04 PM
So, do I need to get there a day or two in advance?

If it works for you then yes. Sooner Legends on Lindsey is a great hotel I've had friends stay at, or the Embassy Suites in Norman which is fairly new.

Besides the Switzer center, other things to do before gameday can include touring the campus, visiting downtown Norman or heading up to OKC if you so desire....

meoveryouxinfinity
6/1/2011, 12:18 PM
hmm how old are you?

Come to a good game. pay a little extra for some good seats and for a better opponent. Don't come to a September game, it's too hot (unless its a night game).
Hit me up at maybe I can hook you up with a student section ticket.

edit:
Everyone is correct about 2008 Texas Tech game. Stoops called the fans out and it was down right DEAFENING. Timeouts were louder than most games 4th downs were. Of course, I was in the student section so that probably had something to do with it.

PrideMom
6/1/2011, 12:18 PM
Consider it an ALL DAY experience! Because everygame is a sell out, no matter who is the opponent, parking and traffic are a challenge. We come early and stay late tailgating to avoid the rush. A true college town atmosphere, and because we EXPECT to win, a great feeling is in the air.

One of the best games I saw was the 2000 Nebraska game, where Heupel took it on his shoulders to extend the Sooner Magic......

3rdgensooner
6/1/2011, 12:29 PM

1. Meeting Bob Stoops before OU/Nebraska 2000, and literally witnessing before my very eyes the change of culture happen in one single game from "close but no cigar" to national prominence. The crowd fed off of the energy that the coaches and players exerted that day and knew it was our time from the comeback in that game onward.

2. Getting to go to watch OU versus Miami in 2007. We heard every piece of trash the visiting 'Canes fans could throw our way. And we sat there and enjoyed every point scored. By the end of the day, our freshman quarterback had more touchdown passes than he had incompletions on the season. There were three young, shirtless 'Canes fans body-painted in "Leave," "No" and "Doubt." Before I could get the words out, they told me to shut the **** up. :DBoth of these games were most excellent.

I remember a 'Cane fan visiting the OUI football board after that game. He said the experience was surreal for him, that he couldn't believe how nice all the Sooner fans were, how gracious we were as hosts, how we made sure they had food and drinks and just lulled them into this relaxed gameday vibe and then proceeded to kick their asses up and down the field. He sounded almost delirious in his description of it. And I thought, yes, this is how we do it at Oklahoma.

Honestly, I love every single day at Owen Field. It is my sanctuary.

SoonerOX
6/1/2011, 12:45 PM

2. Getting to go to watch OU versus Miami in 2007. We heard every piece of trash the visiting 'Canes fans could throw our way. And we sat there and enjoyed every point scored. By the end of the day, our freshman quarterback had more touchdown passes than he had incompletions on the season. There were three young, shirtless 'Canes fans body-painted in "Leave," "No" and "Doubt." Before I could get the words out, they told me to shut the **** up. :D

I was living a couple miles from the stadium when the canes came to town. I had the distinct pleasure of sitting in the visitors section and was asked early in the game by 4 cane fans how I liked my freshman QB. By the end of the game they were begging me to go away for all the heckling they received from me. From 2006-2008 I never missed a home game. It was Awesome!

Flagstaffsooner
6/1/2011, 02:18 PM
My first games were when I was about 4 years old, circa 1960. My first memories were of every time I came up the ramp from the bowels of the West side was the sunshine and frest air. Funky hotdog smell under there.:D I remember Bud in his suit and fedora. The Sooner bench was on the West side in those days.
By the mid 60's my little brother and I had our own season tickets. In 1971 I was at the OU/nu game of the century. Very exciting but a butt-**** officiating. In those days there was a mid 20's couple that sat behind us. She always wore hot-pants. More than once during an exciting play I had my ears squeezed by her legs. Imagine the effect on a 15 yr old boy.:O :D
I returned to the Stadium for the first time in 20 years last Summer when I went back to Oklahoma for my Mother's funeral. It was awesome. Heisman park was awe inspiring and the All American thing in thing in the SE corner was great. Sure was hotter than hell that day.

JLEW1818
6/1/2011, 02:20 PM
my first game was against Louisville in 1997, we rushed for over 400 yards

Chuck Bao
6/1/2011, 02:23 PM
I was living a couple miles from the stadium when the canes came to town. I had the distinct pleasure of sitting in the visitors section and was asked early in the game by 4 cane fans how I liked my freshman QB. By the end of the game they were begging me to go away for all the heckling they received from me. From 2006-2008 I never missed a home game. It was Awesome!

This may be a stupid and naive question, but what makes heckling opposing fans at Memorial Stadium so awesome? In the FSU game, it was pretty much decided early and decisively.

1) Do you consider fan jawing a sport that mirrors the game played on the field?

2) Does it really improve your enjoyment of the game to rub it in on opposing fans?

3) Is it because they did it first and you want to make sure you get ample payback?

4) Is it the American culture to harass opposing fans and you feel that you are not doing it right unless you give them at least some grief?

5) Do you feel the need to get your put downs in after the game is over if you sat in an entire OU crowd?

First of all, I am not accusing you, SoonerOX, of any of that. I am simply curious what the younger Sooner fans think. I do mean it in all due respect. Maybe, I can talk Badger in starting a pole or something.

You don't know me and I don't know you, but your post seems to indicate that you enjoyed that heckling.

I will make it clear that I LOVE those posts where opposing fans were shown respect at Memorial Stadium and bought beers and food both before and after the game.

I may be biased. I went to school at Baylor. I got my entire family tickets to the OU-Baylor game in '85. I am the only one of my family who wore the green and gold that day in the Baylor section and the OU fans around me before and after the game were all very polite and supportive. Okay, the contest was never in doubt but the number of OU fans that shook my hand that day and congratulated me on being there and supporting my team was just simply amazing.

By the way, it was really weird going to the OU-Baylor game in Waco last year. There were a large number of people around me really mixed with some wearing Baylor and some wearing OU and they were clearly together. Nobody talked trash because the husband/wife would elbow them.

Alright, there is room for some fun jawboning. At the Big XII championship game in JerryWorld last year, some posters here were talking to the Nebbish fans and they probably represented almost 50% of the crowd. It was just so funny. Everyone was laughing and it was in such good spirit before the game. There was no jawboning after the game as far as I could tell.

OU fans are probably among the best, followed by Nebbish and Bama fans. There is no need to jawbone because we have been there.

Besides that, I appreciate all supporters of college athletics, legally of course and especially the non-paying men's and women's college sports. Fans who travel with the team deserve our respect, in my opinion.

That wasn't much of an issue with me before that Sugar Bowl national championship game in N.O. The LSU fans are pretty ugly.

I hope the OU fans never fall to that low, low class. Thank goodness we are not in the SEC and get the idea that that is acceptable.

Sorry for the long rant.

texaspokieokie
6/1/2011, 03:03 PM
Flagstaff;

had your own season tickets when you were 9 ???

SoonerofAlabama
6/1/2011, 10:53 PM
So, what should I bring for the trip, would a camera be a good call?

ouwasp
6/1/2011, 11:22 PM
My first game was West Va in '78. Lotta great memories...

September games can be incredibly warm, even at night. Try and get tickets on the upper deck west side, the view is awesome; yard line doesn't really matter imo.

Bring good binoculars... you do wanna get a good look at the pom girls, right? Also, look for Stoops as he makes a point of clapping every player on the shoulder pads as the are doing their stretches.

Let us know how it goes :)

soonerboy_odanorth
6/1/2011, 11:54 PM
First game when I was 6.... 1974 OU v. LoSuRs.... Joe Washington's "smoke through a keyhole" punt return game. Not a bad start...

Top 5 "electric atmosphere" games I have seen in person:

1. OU-Nebraska 2000...#2 on my list was louder, but this one just had 10 years of utter frustration pent up suddenly released. By far the most emotional game I've ever seen. And with 10,000 fewer people in the stands (prior to expansion) it was damn near as loud as #2.

2. OU-Texas Tech 2008... As described, it was insanely loud. And man, it was fun with Gameday there. Quick story, at the Gameday set as the show was ending, a TT fan maybe 10-15 yards away was loudly telling a group of his TT friends how excited he was to be there... because although they had had a tough time in Norman previously, even with better teams (his words), this time he was confident they were going to beat OU because this time they had better athletes. So looking at the guy to make sure he heard me, I loudly exclaimed to my buddy "Somebody ought to tell that fella this ain't our first rodeo!" He didn't have anything else to say, so all ended well. But I would've given a $100 to see his face at the end of the first half.

3. OU-Nebraska 1985...Still had to play what was then an under investigation SMU after this... but it cemented the Orange Bowl and a shot at #1 Penn State.

4. OU-LoSuRs 1984... This was for the Orange Bowl, we were #2, LoSuRs #3. Interesingly, OU ended up ranked #6 after the loss to Washington in the Orange Bowl... behind #4 Nebraska whom OU had beaten in Lincoln 17-7. LoSuRs finished #7.

5. OU-Alabama 2002... It was a blast hosting Bama. Though it was a really odd game. Jason blew the other knee. A seemingly overmatched Bama at the end of the first half, in the second half chipped their way to a lead that it didn't look like they were going to give up as their defense was stoning our offense. People were starting to file out of the stadium. Then Renaldo Works had his career defining moment getting us down in scoring position for a go-ahead TD. Then the fumble return for another game-ending touchdown making the score look like we handled them, when in fact they almost pantsed us. Had a Bama fan after the game tell me that when Works broke into the clear on that shovel pass that it was the loudest he had heard any crowd anywhere, ever. And if you watch the replays you do get a little shake on the cameras. The place did erupt.

In all I have to stop and consider how lucky I am. My top 5 "in person" games may very well be in the top 10 for all-time games played on Owen Field period.

What a ride. Can't wait to hear "BOOMER!... SOONER!" thunder back and forth across the stadium on Sept. 3.

Whet
6/2/2011, 12:18 AM
So, what should I bring for the trip, would a camera be a good call?

Just a point & shoot type camera - they will not allow more professional type. Get there on a Thursday evening, that will provide you all day Friday to spend around the University. Go see the Switzer house - his daughter lives across the street. Maybe tour the NWS, dig for rose rocks, pick up some OU gear, and must meander around. I wouldn't waste time in OKC.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/2/2011, 12:52 AM
Just a point & shoot type camera - they will not allow more professional type. Get there on a Thursday evening, that will provide you all day Friday to spend around the University. Go see the Switzer house - his daughter lives across the street. Maybe tour the NWS, dig for rose rocks, pick up some OU gear, and must meander around. I wouldn't waste time in OKC.

Bzzt. Wrong on OKC. If you've never been to the OKC National Memorial and Museum it is must see. Never forget...

Also, the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum (frmly National Cowboy Hall of Fame) has a truly stunning collection Contemporary Western art.

I assure you neither is a waste of time.

Taxman71
6/2/2011, 08:40 AM
Good thread. I have been going to games since the late 70's and have only missed a handful of home game since 1987. I have relatives coming over from down under this fall who want to experience an American footy game and have been trying to decide the best way for them to experience an OU game.

JLEW1818
6/2/2011, 09:25 AM
That is by far my least favorite thing that they've added in the last three-four years. It's a direct ripoff of Nebraska's "walk" (albeit with better music instead of the the Chicago Bulls ripoff that Nebraska does.)

how does that not get you pumped up when it is a night game?

you prlly don't clap at the games either?

Nebraska sucks anyways

mhackl
6/2/2011, 09:57 AM
Greatest game experience. The one I'll take to the grave is the 2000 Nebraska game. About three minutes into the second quarter and Andre Woolfolk kicks a deflected pass into the air and then catches it while lying on his back. The roar was so loud that it hurt my ears. It's one of those moments that I was so happy that I was tearing up. Comparable only to the final moments of the championship later that season (but I wasn't there for that one)

My recommendation is get there on Friday and tour the Switzer center. If you're a diehard fan, you'll appreciate the entire thing. I do it at least once every year. On game day I always like to hit campus corner and see the Pride of Oklahoma play on the North lawn of the stadium before the game. It always gets me pumped up, and is a fun fan experience.

Don't worry about sitting and standing during the game. It's hard to sit during an OU game and everybody is friendly and understanding to this fact. Every team has a few idiot fans, but we really do have some of the best fans in attendance at our games. If you read any of the oppositions boards after a game at OU, you usually find posts about how we are very welcoming hosts. On your visit try to keep that going.

nativesooner
6/2/2011, 11:23 AM
Just a point & shoot type camera - they will not allow more professional type.

Whet's right... they'll allow this...

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2006/02/10/kodak_camera.jpg

But not this...

http://www.camwk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/digital_camera.jpg

But they'll gladly sell you some pics that they took in their online store! :D

I agree with mhackl on the greatest game experience.... I jumped so high at one point that I fell on a lady behind me. I turned and apologized and she said "don't worry about it, it's ok, we're back!" When the goalposts were coming down an older fella at the end of our row sat with his face in his hands crying. My buddy asked if he was ok and he simply replied "YES, BOOMER SOONER BABY!" It was freakin awesome!

SoonerofAlabama
6/2/2011, 06:12 PM
Does it have to be like that first picture? I have a digital camera. Is that okay?

soonerboy_odanorth
6/2/2011, 07:13 PM
how does that not get you pumped up when it is a night game?

you prlly don't clap at the games either?

Nebraska sucks anyways

I don't dig ripoffs of ripoffs. We don't need it. It's easy enough for me to cheer obnoxiously without that MTV-spawned crap.

But you've demonstrated you're vacuous and easily transfixed by shiny baubles. So I understand the drool factor for you.

MsProudSooner2
6/2/2011, 09:31 PM
Does it have to be like that first picture? I have a digital camera. Is that okay?

I think digital cameras are OK as long as they aren't the type w/ multiple lenses.

JLEW1818
6/2/2011, 09:37 PM
I don't dig ripoffs of ripoffs. We don't need it. It's easy enough for me to cheer obnoxiously without that MTV-spawned crap.

But you've demonstrated you're vacuous and easily transfixed by shiny baubles. So I understand the drool factor for you.

:O

i think god invented walking

Lott's Bandana
6/2/2011, 10:25 PM
I think digital cameras are OK as long as they aren't the type w/ multiple lenses.

No lenses greater than 200mm, according to the Athletic Department.

Lott's Bandana
6/2/2011, 10:27 PM
Bzzt. Wrong on OKC. If you've never been to the OKC National Memorial and Museum it is must see. Never forget...

Also, the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum (frmly National Cowboy Hall of Fame) has a truly stunning collection Contemporary Western art.

I assure you neither is a waste of time.

I went to the OKC Zoo last weekend. Yes, the Zoo.

Hadn't been in 35 years. It was awesome.

OU-HSV
6/2/2011, 11:19 PM
I've had a lot of fun during (and before/after) games in Norman.
I've been to some meaningful games. Some big games, some not so big games, and several games that I will never forget. Topping my list of games I'll never forget is the whoopin' of texas tech in '08, it was the loudest and wildest I've seen the stadium before...amazing atmosphere that night.
Also enjoyed being at the Mizzou game when we were both ranked high and had a lot on the line and we won. And of course the game where I could tell Sam Bradford was for real...that Miami game a few years ago.
I've been to the beatdown of the sheephumpers once or twice. I think the most recent one of those I was at was when AD went off. I was there for the Nebraska game when Calahan was being a total jackass (of course when was he not?). The list goes on..Bowling Green, Oregon, TCU (the bad one we don't talk about and the redemption game a couple seasons ago), UTEP, UNC, etc. etc. etc. Good times.
I guess the only "advice" I have for you is to try to not get stuck sitting in the South endzone...of all the areas I've sat, the South end zone has typically been the worst, most boring. Sat there last year for the texas tech game and it was awful...not trying to offend anyone, but the fans in that South end zone were very lame (specifically the Southwest part). Everyone wanted to stay seated nearly the whole game, hardly anyone cheering much. Guess I've just gotten used to sitting in the North end zone most of the time, and the North always seems more fired up.

yankee
6/3/2011, 12:25 AM
Go see the Switzer house - his daughter lives across the street.

wut?

http://5thingsatonce.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/new-study-happy-kids-more-likely-to-be-divorced-adults-office-space.jpg?w=500&h=300

Whet
6/3/2011, 06:30 AM
If you are spending a few days in Norman, then visit OKC. Otherwise it would be like Clark and family at the Grand Canyon - you wouldn't have time to see all that stuff and the OU stuff. There is nothing wrong with the OKC stuff, just a time constraint in seeing every thing.

Whet
6/3/2011, 06:31 AM
wut?

http://5thingsatonce.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/new-study-happy-kids-more-likely-to-be-divorced-adults-office-space.jpg?w=500&h=300

the house across the street, to the north on the corner.

brokenarrowboomer
6/3/2011, 09:56 AM
My first game was in a downpour. My parents took me when I was a young teen. John Elway and Stanford beat us, seveal times the Sooners let interceptions slip right through their hands. I was on the press box side and I saw Bud Wilkinson step out of the press box for a break, I went up to him and shook his hand. That was worth the trip. I believe he was doing color for the broadcast on TV.

Taxman71
6/3/2011, 10:09 AM
My first game was in a downpour. My parents took me when I was a young teen. John Elway and Stanford beat us, seveal times the Sooners let interceptions slip right through their hands. I was on the press box side and I saw Bud Wilkinson step out of the press box for a break, I went up to him and shook his hand. That was worth the trip. I believe he was doing color for the broadcast on TV.

I watched the second half of that game in the Armory next to the stadium. Too wet and too miserable.

nativesooner
6/3/2011, 11:43 AM

Digitals are ok if they're the normal ones. Expand the lens out and hold your ID up to it. If it's not as long as the width of your id, then you're good. The yellow shirts say that the overall length has to be 2" or less. I've tried several times to take my camera with a standard 80mm lens but it measures too long so they've made me take it back to the car. I've even tried several different gates. However, if you want you can just smuggle it in like most folks do anyway. I've seen some folks with 200 - 300 mm zooms inside.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/nativesooner/cam.png

Sooner Among The Pack
6/3/2011, 01:41 PM
Top 3 favorite games for me:

2003 vs. OSU...we were in it for blood that year. Les Miles comments pre-game are legendary. That smackdown was extremely satisfying :)

2003 vs. aTm...77-0, at the end of the 3rd quarter. I mean, come on. That's a good Saturday :) Plus, we were out for revenge because we had lost in College Station in '02 with the #1 ranking the year before. Poor Reggie McNeal got a dose of reality that day.

2002 vs. Alabama...the emotional swings in the student section that day were unreal. Lots of people fainting because of the heat. Those who stuck around saw one of the best endings.

I've tried to go back to a game every year, made it to Florida St. last year. Noles were overall good; our plane from Houston was packed full of them (A lot of folks connected through IAH).

I wouldn't even attempt to bring in a camera with an external lens. They shut my friend down against FSU with the smallest external lens he had on his DSLR.

Oh, and you cannot miss pre-game. The drum major pointing at The Pride and the drums starting...The crowd goes wild..you will get goosebumps!

swardboy
6/3/2011, 07:42 PM
What! Not one suggestion to stop by the SoonerFans.com tailgate? It's numero uno on my list whenever I get to a game in Norman.

SoonerofAlabama
6/3/2011, 07:53 PM
What! Not one suggestion to stop by the SoonerFans.com tailgate? It's numero uno on my list whenever I get to a game in Norman.

I heard those were fun. Something about you get your name tag and people get to see who you really are...

Al Gore
6/3/2011, 10:00 PM
Then they must have ripped it off from Jayhawk Basketball.....

yankee
6/4/2011, 01:46 AM
the house across the street, to the north on the corner.

Yea I know where Switzer lives and that he's building a house across the street for his daughter. I'm just trying to come up with a good reason why he would want to drive by a house for like 2 seconds and then take a look at a half finished house across the street.

You know your college is in Norman, Oklahoma when...............

Partial Qualifier
6/4/2011, 10:11 AM
the world-class display of young hotties onsite at Memorial Stadium every football Saturday is worth mentioning. :)

Dan Thompson
6/4/2011, 10:25 PM
Went to Owens Field during a business trip in March. The gate was unlocked, so I just walked in on the South West side.

I stood behind the South goal post, handicap area.

I was the only person in the stadium and nothing else was happening, no watering of the grass or testing the scoreboard.

It was dead quite, but you could just hear the crowd yelling their hearts out.

GKeeper316
6/4/2011, 10:30 PM
only advice i have is this... STAY THE **** OUT OF THE SOUTH ENDZONE!

seriously. south endzone sucks.

SoonerofAlabama
6/4/2011, 10:58 PM
Which area is the best place to sit?

Whet
6/4/2011, 11:41 PM
Yea I know where Switzer lives and that he's building a house across the street for his daughter. I'm just trying to come up with a good reason why he would want to drive by a house for like 2 seconds and then take a look at a half finished house across the street.

You know your college is in Norman, Oklahoma when...............

Because Barry is the ****ing KING!

Whet
6/4/2011, 11:50 PM

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/208301_215252641834098_100000480920838_860760_2231 484_n.jpg

GKeeper316
6/5/2011, 12:14 AM

much hotness in the student section, if you don't mind standing the whole game. anywhere but the south endzone otherwise.

OU-HSV
6/5/2011, 12:49 PM
much hotness in the student section, if you don't mind standing the whole game. anywhere but the south endzone otherwise.

Exactly. I've really come to like the North Endzone. It's not a bad view and the fans get into the game.
The South end zone (at least the southwest portion)...well as I said earlier, not so much.

PLaw
6/5/2011, 06:44 PM
I saw my first Sooner game in person with my dad in 63. He pointed Bud out to me when we were walking in. I didn't get to see another until the Kansas game in 75. Bummer! I've tried to make sure my grandsons have been there at an early age.

I took my son to his first game in Waco in 2000 after we finished off the October sweep of KSU, *, and Nebbish. The King was standing outside the stadium chatting with friends and fans. I pointed out Barry to my son and the King saw what I was doing and gave the nod. That was pretty cool.

I too was at the '75 KU game - no Sooner Magic that day.

BOOMER

BlackwellSooner
6/5/2011, 09:39 PM

My season tickets have always been in Section 13, the northwest corner of the stadium, just below the aisle where the crowd comes up to the seats.

The crowd is always into the game, and there is just enough of an angle to afford a good view of the field. Great location.

I agree with an earlier poster in that the most emotional, most satisfying game was the Nebraska 2000 game. The most memorable, "jumping" game was the one against TTech in 2008. I will never forget House of Pain's "Jumping Around" blaring from the loudspeakers during the whole fourth quarter!

Perhaps the most emphatic win of the Stoops era.

Most embarrassing moment? 1975 Kansas game, a 23-3 loss. Our "fans" (at least some of them) booed Steve Davis off the field, never mind that 8 turnovers (4 fumbles, 4 INTs) on the day had a lot to do with our failure to win the game.
And that 1975 KU team wasn't exactly chopped liver, either, not with LaVerne Smith and Nolan Cromwell on that team.

SoonerofAlabama
6/5/2011, 09:41 PM
Another question: What do I do if I end up sitting in the "nose-bleeds"?

Salt City Sooner
6/5/2011, 10:07 PM
Another question: What do I do if I end up sitting in the "nose-bleeds"?Bring a box of Kleenex?

Seriously, FWIW, I'm up in 233 & wouldn't trade 'em.

BlackwellSooner
6/5/2011, 10:15 PM

I had seats up in the nose-bleed section one year (Section 105), and I decided one year was more than enough! All of the fans up there sat on their hands like they were at a tennis match, absolutely NO crowd enthusiasm at all! The next year, I was back in my preferred seats in Section 13.

soonerfromgeorgia
6/5/2011, 10:29 PM
2007 vs. Mizzou was my only visit so far. We made a good weekend out of it by visiting the OKC memorial and eating at the stockyard (not a great steak by the way) on Friday, on Saturday we spent most of the day taking in the game-day environment before the 6-ish kick off. Flew back to Georgia on SUnday Morning.

OU-HSV
6/5/2011, 10:44 PM

You'll get to see the holes open up better on run plays. My brother (OKC-SLC) used to have season tix up near the press box on the top row. I went up there for a few games and checked out the view for a little bit. It's not bad up there, just a far away view. But gives you a little different perspective than sitting up closer.

yukonsooner
6/6/2011, 08:39 AM
We sit in Sec 13 just below the walkway also. Great seats, great fans all around. We have had season tickets for about 30 years, and have moved from the south end zone, around through the student section and ended up in Sec 13. We will never change these seats. Just remember you can bring absolutely nothing into the stadium, no really, no binocular cases, no food or drinks, no umbrellas. And be prepared to stay. Unless it is a medical emergency you can't leave and re-enter the stadium. As far as the experience is concerned, I'm still as excited today when I enter the stadium as I was the very first time.

SoonerOX
6/6/2011, 11:31 AM
This may be a stupid and naive question, but what makes heckling opposing fans at Memorial Stadium so awesome? In the FSU game, it was pretty much decided early and decisively.

1) Do you consider fan jawing a sport that mirrors the game played on the field?

2) Does it really improve your enjoyment of the game to rub it in on opposing fans?

3) Is it because they did it first and you want to make sure you get ample payback?

4) Is it the American culture to harass opposing fans and you feel that you are not doing it right unless you give them at least some grief?

5) Do you feel the need to get your put downs in after the game is over if you sat in an entire OU crowd?

First of all, I am not accusing you, SoonerOX, of any of that. I am simply curious what the younger Sooner fans think. I do mean it in all due respect. Maybe, I can talk Badger in starting a pole or something.

You don't know me and I don't know you, but your post seems to indicate that you enjoyed that heckling.

I will make it clear that I LOVE those posts where opposing fans were shown respect at Memorial Stadium and bought beers and food both before and after the game.

I may be biased. I went to school at Baylor. I got my entire family tickets to the OU-Baylor game in '85. I am the only one of my family who wore the green and gold that day in the Baylor section and the OU fans around me before and after the game were all very polite and supportive. Okay, the contest was never in doubt but the number of OU fans that shook my hand that day and congratulated me on being there and supporting my team was just simply amazing.

By the way, it was really weird going to the OU-Baylor game in Waco last year. There were a large number of people around me really mixed with some wearing Baylor and some wearing OU and they were clearly together. Nobody talked trash because the husband/wife would elbow them.

Alright, there is room for some fun jawboning. At the Big XII championship game in JerryWorld last year, some posters here were talking to the Nebbish fans and they probably represented almost 50% of the crowd. It was just so funny. Everyone was laughing and it was in such good spirit before the game. There was no jawboning after the game as far as I could tell.

OU fans are probably among the best, followed by Nebbish and Bama fans. There is no need to jawbone because we have been there.

Besides that, I appreciate all supporters of college athletics, legally of course and especially the non-paying men's and women's college sports. Fans who travel with the team deserve our respect, in my opinion.

That wasn't much of an issue with me before that Sugar Bowl national championship game in N.O. The LSU fans are pretty ugly.

I hope the OU fans never fall to that low, low class. Thank goodness we are not in the SEC and get the idea that that is acceptable.

Sorry for the long rant.

No offense taken at this. My reason for letting them have it was because I took it for the majority of the first quarter from them. I had the privilege (or not) of sitting in their midst and took some abuse. It was payback!

nativesooner
6/6/2011, 11:44 AM
Bama, you should see if yukon is going to miss a game or sit elsewhere for one. You'll really enjoy their seats!

yukonsooner
6/6/2011, 01:42 PM
Bama, you should see if yukon is going to miss a game or sit elsewhere for one. You'll really enjoy their seats!

Sorry, not gonna happen. I missed a few games in 09 because I had Swine Flu, but my seat was quickly taken by my son.

SoonerofAlabama
6/6/2011, 10:15 PM
We sit in Sec 13 just below the walkway also. Great seats, great fans all around. We have had season tickets for about 30 years, and have moved from the south end zone, around through the student section and ended up in Sec 13. We will never change these seats. Just remember you can bring absolutely nothing into the stadium, no really, no binocular cases, no food or drinks, no umbrellas. And be prepared to stay. Unless it is a medical emergency you can't leave and re-enter the stadium. As far as the experience is concerned, I'm still as excited today when I enter the stadium as I was the very first time.

I know that I am asking a lot of questions. I apologize, but I just want the information. Okay, speaking of food and drinks. Now, this may sound stupid, but how are concession prices and bathrooms?

SoonerOX
6/7/2011, 10:33 AM
Food is basic, if overpriced as usual at any stadium...the bathrooms for males are your standard pissing troughs, but clean enough considering the amount of people that use them.

texaspokieokie
6/7/2011, 10:44 AM
there is no charge for use of restrooms, but maybe you should go before leaving athens. ;)

yukonsooner
6/7/2011, 12:12 PM
I know that I am asking a lot of questions. I apologize, but I just want the information. Okay, speaking of food and drinks. Now, this may sound stupid, but how are concession prices and bathrooms?

The concessions are a bit pricey (IMO). In early season, afternoon games, they have been known to run out of water.

SoonerofAlabama
6/9/2011, 02:52 PM
New question: Is the Switzer center open on Fridays?

Soonerfan88
6/9/2011, 03:02 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/facilities/legends-lobby.html

9-6

Sooner Among The Pack
6/9/2011, 03:55 PM
New question: Is the Switzer center open on Fridays?

Yes, went the Friday before FSU.

SoonerinSouthlake
6/11/2011, 10:00 AM
The 2000 season was an incredible time as a Sooner fan. I had never heard it so loud in the stadium as it was during the Nebraska game. But, the Tech game a couple of years ago was the most amazing game I have ever been to. It was just pure fun!

Id have probably put these two games up here as my top Owen memories too.