PDA

View Full Version : Rocklahoma...who went?

OUmillenium
5/31/2011, 06:54 PM
How was it. Almost went on Sunday for Poison and Crue but already seen em many times.

Sounds like a great turnout from reading on Facebook.

EatLeadCommie
5/31/2011, 07:05 PM
Been meaning to go for several years now, but something always seems to come up. Did catch Whitesnake at the Wildflower Festival last weekend though in a rain-shortened performance.

Boomer.....
5/31/2011, 08:34 PM
We were supposed to go but didn't end up going. I bet it was rowdy. We went the first year and it is some of the best people watching you will ever find.

cleller
6/1/2011, 07:44 AM
Went to the original Rocklahoma in either Aug or early Sept 1980 on Owen Field.
What a hot, miserable experience.
Doobies, Pat Benatar, and the big headliners, Van Halen. Coincidentally, Sammy Hagar was also there.

I should make some cranky "old school" comments now.

KuppiKunta
6/1/2011, 08:48 AM
I went all three days. Excellent people watching for sure!

Boomer.....
6/1/2011, 08:59 AM
How was it with more modern rock groups?

KuppiKunta
6/1/2011, 09:27 AM
How was it with more modern rock groups?

I enjoy the mix up. I mean, there's only so many 80s hair bands that can still play. They could mix in some death metal too. I really enjoyed seeing Seether live again. It's amazing the sound they create with just a 3 piece band. Also, Skillet was the surprise of the entire weekend. I'm not saying they were the best, just exceeded my expectations far more than any other band. Staind also played a great set, as did Papa Roach.

Still not sure why BLS was on a side stage though, they should have definitely been on the main stage. Who knows, maybe they requested the smaller stage. It was just a pain to have to rush from the main stage after Poison to get to the side stage, then rush back after BLS for Crue's set.

Definitely met some interesting people, some came from as far away as Singapore! I'll be back next year to do it all over again....may take that long to recuperate!!

Boomer.....
6/1/2011, 10:02 AM
I've seen most of those bands and they do put on great shows. Skillet is very entertaining on stage! I was actually excited about the move into more modern rock but that's just me.

mgsooner
6/1/2011, 03:34 PM
Methlahoma...who went?

fify

KuppiKunta
6/1/2011, 03:39 PM
Methlahoma...who went?

For me, it was Drunklahoma.

ouwasp
6/1/2011, 04:29 PM
My son was part of a group applying wristbands on Friday night. He reported some good white-trash stories. He said there was this old guy that looked stoned out of his mind going into Rocklahoma... and looked the very same upon exiting some hours later. I asked how "old" the stoner was...

Son's reply: "Oh, I'd say he looked in his thirties somewhere..." :rolleyes:

Daughter works in an area pharmacy. Her boss said they coulda sold all the pseudoephedrine (sp?) they had in stock pretty quickly last Friday.

Rocklahoma must be good times. :gary:

LostCreekSooner
6/1/2011, 10:51 PM
It was awesome! Pat Benatar sure had a great a$$ in those tight black pants. Sammy Hagar rocked... followed by the real Van Halen with David Lee Roth. The Doobie Brothers closed the show, but lots of people left after Van Halen and they were a let-down. Oh yeah, and it was really cool getting to hang out on Owen Field!

:eek:

Taxman71
6/2/2011, 08:50 AM
Rocklahoma, the Stones and U2...not a bad music pedigree for Owen Field. Much better than Sinbad and whoever has performed in stillwater and elsewhere.

sooner ngintunr
6/2/2011, 09:14 AM
I'm more of a Backwoods Bash kind of guy. It was awesome.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/2/2011, 09:41 AM
Methlahoma...who went?

For me, it was Drunklahoma.

For me, it was Smokelahoma. :D

OUmillenium
6/3/2011, 11:08 PM
Van Halen rules

This is Deputy Van Halen down at the station, we found your keys, if ya want em...better come and get em.

101sooner
6/4/2011, 09:19 AM
It was awesome! Pat Benatar sure had a great a$$ in those tight black pants. Sammy Hagar rocked... followed by the real Van Halen with David Lee Roth. The Doobie Brothers closed the show, but lots of people left after Van Halen and they were a let-down. Oh yeah, and it was really cool getting to hang out on Owen Field!

:eek:

That's exactly how I remember it.

I like the new stuff too. I'm 46 and I took my wife to Avenged Sevenfold, Three Days Grace and Bullet for My Valentine at the ZOO a few weeks ago. Talk about some fun people watching. A7X put on one of the best shows I have ever seen. Maybe the best.

I thought I was pretty cool, but I'm sure the kids thought I was there with my grandson or something.