PDA

View Full Version : Mater growin knowin peeps

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 06:00 PM
Whatn the hell
My Mater plants been out well over 2 months. the big and bushy and healthy lookin. The have bloomed at least twice , yet No green maters any where.

What I doing wrong? Did the storms give em TOO much water? blow the Blooms away? WTF ? :confused:

cantwait48
5/31/2011, 06:16 PM
maybe they are not pollinating so try shaking them a little and spread the pollen around. or they say you can take a swab and pollinate from the male to female blossom but I do not know how to tell them apart for sure but you can try googling it to find pics of male and female.

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 06:19 PM
maybe they are not pollinating so try shaking them a little and spread the pollen around. or they say you can take a swab and pollinate from the male to female blossom but I do not know how to tell them apart for sure but you can try googling it to find pics of male and female.

This could be, I aint seen any Bees around but have saw the Humming birds on em.
Thanks.ill try sompun If I got to polinate em myself

soonerchk
5/31/2011, 06:42 PM
Do you have critters on them? Are the deer hungry? Those would be my first guesses.

Mjcpr
5/31/2011, 06:47 PM
Yeah, just pollinate them yourself.

Wait....

OutlandTrophy
5/31/2011, 06:47 PM
are they really weed plants that you want us to believe are tomato plants?

nice try there, Panama Red.

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 06:48 PM
Do you have critters on them? Are the deer hungry? Those would be my first guesses.

Naw, Like i said they healthy. The blooms just aint settin :confused:

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 06:49 PM
are they really weed plants that you want us to believe are tomato plants?

nice try there, Panama Red.

Hell NO, if they were some doosh would call the ****in PoPos on me.

I wanta smoke I go over to a friends shack.;)

soonerchk
5/31/2011, 06:52 PM
Naw, Like i said they healthy. The blooms just aint settin :confused:

Are they not blooming at all or are they blooming and then the blooms just go away? I don't think they'd bloom at all if they weren't getting pollinated, which is why I thought critter.

I'm not a botanist, so I could be wrong.

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 06:56 PM
Are they not blooming at all or are they blooming and then the blooms just go away? I don't think they'd bloom at all if they weren't getting pollinated, which is why I thought critter.

I'm not a botanist, so I could be wrong.

Oh yea they blooming. The Blooms just aint settin.:confused:
Hell there should be maters almost ripe by now.
They have to bloom or they cant get pollinated

Hell I may take down my humming bird feeders till I get some dayum maters.:mad:

GDC
5/31/2011, 07:06 PM
It's the Bee Apocalypse.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/april2007/100407beesdying.htm

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 07:15 PM
It's the Bee Apocalypse.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/april2007/100407beesdying.htm

I've read about the Bees dying But they were here when I was doing the OVJ and just pouring the used up mash out.
Now I aint seen any in over a year.:(

A Sooner in Texas
5/31/2011, 07:26 PM
I've read about the Bees dying But they were here when I was doing the OVJ and just pouring the used up mash out.
Now I aint seen any in over a year.:(

Hell, the mash probably killed 'em, Vet. :D

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 07:28 PM
Hell, the mash probably killed 'em, Vet. :D

Well hell.:mad:

OutlandTrophy
5/31/2011, 07:37 PM
where's fraggle at when you need him?

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 07:48 PM

Prolly enjoyin a Boner:D

C&CDean
5/31/2011, 09:35 PM
Dude, you're gonna have maters to die for in July/August. We've been there on the early ones that didn't do ****. Patience...

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 09:42 PM
Dude, you're gonna have maters to die for in July/August. We've been there on the early ones that didn't do ****. Patience...

Im hoping so. But still think there should be a few green uns out there :O

Fraggle145
5/31/2011, 09:46 PM

Well maters are self fertilizing so shaking the pollen will do more for ya than wiggling things around in em I'd think... that does better for squash.

That said I only have a few tomatoes so far. So I'm kinda looking for answers too. I think I may not be fertilizing enough.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/tomato/2000083030027695.html

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 10:03 PM
Well maters are self fertilizing so shaking the pollen will do more for ya than wiggling things around in em I'd think... that does better for squash.

That said I only have a few tomatoes so far. So I'm kinda looking for answers too. I think I may not be fertilizing enough.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/tomato/2000083030027695.html

Answer yer phone bitch.:P

Sooner_Tuf
5/31/2011, 11:51 PM
Take an old dog chain out there and beat the bejesus out of them. I hate tomatoes with a passion but I can grow them by the truck load.

olevetonahill
6/1/2011, 01:39 AM
Take an old dog chain out there and beat the bejesus out of them. I hate tomatoes with a passion but I can grow them by the truck load.

How much ya want fer a truck load?:P

KuppiKunta
6/1/2011, 08:40 AM
Mist them with vinegar/water solution (5/95), this will help set the blooms.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/1/2011, 10:00 AM
Urinate on them to mark your territory and inform the tomato plant of your expectations as the alpha.

NormanPride
6/1/2011, 10:27 AM
I've heard some people use cheap battery powered toothbrushes to get the pollen spread. Supposedly it simulates the buzzing of the bees.

Sooner_Tuf
6/1/2011, 11:21 AM
How much ya want fer a truck load?:P

I didn't plant any this year. The kids are grown (thank you god) and I try to keep the exes mad enough to not stop by.

Normally I do put some in and I just give them away. They are good plants and easy to grow. They make great wind blocks for the plants that produce edible fruit.

Tomatoes are like weeds. If you kiss their butts they won't grow for nothing. Abuse them and they will fight you like an unwanted strawberry patch. I do think stripping some leaves off makes them make better fruit. Hell I walk on them sometimes. The worse I treat them the better they grow and produce.

delhalew
6/1/2011, 12:39 PM
I didn't plant this year, but if I want maters this early I usually start one or two inside, and plant the whole plant in the ground, leaving just the top few inches above ground. The whole plant grows roots, and makes a super plant.

My dads plants are only now starting to produce little fruit. I think over in the east, yours may just now be getting the heat they like.