PDA

View Full Version : Pryor's ride

bent rider
5/31/2011, 02:27 PM
Hmmm, how many signed autograph pictures did it take for Terrell Pryor to get the keys to the shiny new Nissan 370Z??

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6609954

oumartin
5/31/2011, 02:34 PM
with a dealer tag no less

CBUS_SOONER
5/31/2011, 02:34 PM
that thug is done

SoonerofAlabama
5/31/2011, 02:35 PM
one of many

SoonerMom2
5/31/2011, 02:37 PM
Have a hunch this is the tip of the iceberg. The question is does the President and AD of OSU survive? I don't see how they can with the widening investigation. Since the President said that Tressel could fire him, it shows total lack of institutional control.

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 02:38 PM
Hmmm, how many signed autograph pictures did it take for Terrell Pryor to get the keys to the shiny new Nissan 370Z??

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6609954

those guys said 350

OULenexaman
5/31/2011, 02:39 PM
good point mom.....it's gonna get hotter in the kitchen.

badger
5/31/2011, 02:40 PM
A 350Z. Here's a photo of it:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ap/04/fullj.b82dd9046502b795ec04b4158cdbe1ad/ap-201105301958719163953.jpg

The Sun Times says:

Pryor drove up to a players-only team meeting on Monday night in a coal-black Nissan 350Z sports car with 30-day plates. The automotive information site Edmunds.com lists a recent, used 350Z, which it calls “a proper sports car for the everyman,” as costing between $16,000 and $27,000.

Pryor was stopped three times for traffic violations over the past three years, each time driving cars that were owned by Kniffin or a Columbus used-car dealership where he worked, the Dispatch has reported. Kniffin, owner Jeff Mauk of Jack Maxton Chevrolet, Inc., and Jason Gross of Auto Direct Columbus, Inc., each provided affidavits to Ohio State officials earlier this month.

They said that all transactions associated with an Ohio State athlete were cleared through Ohio State’s NCAA compliance department.

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/5698110-419/ncaa-focuses-on-terrelle-pryors-cars.html)

soonerinabilene
5/31/2011, 02:44 PM
having not read everything, is it any different than AD's lexus situation?

TheHumanAlphabet
5/31/2011, 02:47 PM
I'm sure his mom's name on the loan app.

badger
5/31/2011, 02:50 PM

The Lexus was returned after his family realized they wouldn't be able to afford it. Especially under harsh economic times, it's common for car dealerships to take back cars after grace periods for financial reasons. In fact, some car companies openly advertise that if you lose your job within a year that they'll take the car back without a credit hit. So, hard to argue that AD and his family were getting special treatment when everyone gets grace periods.

delhalew
5/31/2011, 03:02 PM
I heard ESPN aired footage of Pryor leaving that meeting and running a stop light. Wtf is in this guys head? If you were ever going to back to reality, wouldn't now be the time?

soonerboomer93
5/31/2011, 03:05 PM
I heard ESPN aired footage of Pryor leaving that meeting and running a stop light. Wtf is in this guys head? If you were ever going to back to reality, wouldn't now be the time?

It's in the initial link.

meoveryouxinfinity
5/31/2011, 03:07 PM
he didn't signal or come to a complete stop at the red light.

NorCal Sooner
5/31/2011, 03:07 PM

Is it legal to turn right on a red light without coming to a full stop in Ohio? That was the second crazy thing I noticed about that ESPN footage. First, he has a new car, and second he runs a red light. Classic.....

meoveryouxinfinity
5/31/2011, 03:08 PM
Is it legal to turn right on a red light without coming to a full stop in Ohio? That was the second crazy thing I noticed about that ESPN footage. First, he has a new car, and second he runs a red light. Classic.....

ha, beat you to it.

Flagstaffsooner
5/31/2011, 03:19 PM
I heard ESPN aired footage of Pryor leaving that meeting and running a stop light. Wtf is in this guys head?
It sure aint brains.:D

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 03:28 PM
is the car new ??

batonrougesooner
5/31/2011, 03:29 PM
The Lexus was returned after his family realized they wouldn't be able to afford it. Especially under harsh economic times, it's common for car dealerships to take back cars after grace periods for financial reasons. In fact, some car companies openly advertise that if you lose your job within a year that they'll take the car back without a credit hit. So, hard to argue that AD and his family were getting special treatment when everyone gets grace periods.

I disagree. I think AD was skirting the line very close to what is permissible. I think it was on the edge and still within the realm of plausible deniability. I'm glad someone in that situation came to their senses and had the car returned.

This stuff is happening everywhere I suspect to some degree or another. The key is stopping it once it's known. That's where Stoops and Tressel differ. Tressel could have made this go away by dropping the hammer. His problem as it seems now is that he had to continue the cover up because he was worried about the other skeletons in the closet coming out. Once you go down that road it's self perpetuating. It all comes out eventually. Just ask USC. Ask Auburn a year from now.

Every time I read about these stories. All fans of a major college football team live in glass houses. The cheating and extra bennies are occurring everywhere. The key is how the institution handles it once it's discovered. It's a continuous game of cat and mouse in a way.

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 03:31 PM
this ^^^^

batonrougesooner
5/31/2011, 03:31 PM
Edit..Every time I read about theses stories I cringe. Damned iPad. :)

Wishboned
5/31/2011, 03:35 PM
That's either huge cajones, or huge stupidity showing up at that particular meeting in that car.

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 03:38 PM
That's either huge cajones, or huge stupidity showing up at that particular meeting in that car.

i'm goin with stupid.

Flagstaffsooner
5/31/2011, 03:41 PM
i'm goin with stupid.VY level brain mass.

virginiasooner
5/31/2011, 03:45 PM
I vote stupid first, arrogant second. He needs to go. Now isn't soon enough.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/31/2011, 03:58 PM
is the car new ??

Newer than mine and a hell lot more expensive than my ride in college, a pinto...

TheHumanAlphabet
5/31/2011, 03:59 PM
VY level brain mass.

Wonder what his Wonderlic score will be???

Sooner_Tuf
5/31/2011, 05:35 PM

The NCAA said AD's "Lexus Situation" was not a violation. So not much of a situation.

EatLeadCommie
5/31/2011, 05:39 PM
AD had a Lexus that was a couple years old and was probably priced somewhere in the teens. I'm not sure how much the 350Z was going for (new they start at 30k), but it's not that he had the 350Z, it's that he has had something like 8 cars while at Ohio State.

soonerinabilene
5/31/2011, 05:50 PM
The NCAA said AD's "Lexus Situation" was not a violation. So not much of a situation.

Yeah, I get that. Thats why im asking if maybe terrell has been doing the same thing as AD just on multiple cars. Because Sooner or not, AD was walking a pretty thin line with his deal, and a two year old lexus isnt that much cheaper than a nissan.

BoulderSooner79
5/31/2011, 05:55 PM
I'm just glad OU athletics has distanced itself from Big Red Auto -- the source of AD's Lexus and Bomar's "job".

Sooner_Tuf
5/31/2011, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I get that. Thats why im asking if maybe terrell has been doing the same thing as AD just on multiple cars. Because Sooner or not, AD was walking a pretty thin line with his deal, and a two year old lexus isnt that much cheaper than a nissan.

He's been doing some other things which is why all the stink in Columbus.

CBUS_SOONER
5/31/2011, 06:04 PM

I noticed that also... I will go ahead and do some profiling and make a citizens arrest

goingoneight
5/31/2011, 06:35 PM

I remember all the agroids throwing a fit over AD's "test drive," saying that dealerships never let you "test drive" for more than a couple of miles. Before I bought my Nissan Frontier, I drove it around for 3 weeks, and all I had to show was ID, insurance and sign some papers. It was a brand new truck when I did this. They called after two weeks and asked how I was liking it. Now, I know things have changed since February 2006 when I did this... like, when it's in for warranty work or recall, I don't get a brand new Maxima for a "loaner" anymore. People who don't know what all a dealership does to sell a car point blank just haven't been around a dealership.

budbarrybob
5/31/2011, 06:54 PM
TP is never gonna play tOSU football again. On AD, I don't have to drive a car around for a few days to "realize" that I don't have the funds to keep it. I'm just very thankful that it was done within the NCAA "circle of trust" or we would have been singing the blues...

fadada1
5/31/2011, 07:17 PM
As Bullet Tooth Tony so eloquently put it, "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Flagstaffsooner
5/31/2011, 08:41 PM
His mental aptitude is approaching Maurice Clarett levels.
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/31/with-probe-ongoing-terrelle-pryors-been-tooling-around-with-suspended-license/related

And the hits just keep on a coming for the beleaguered Ohio State football program.
One day after the resignation (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/30/tressel-encouraged-to-resign-for-good-of-the-program/) of their wildly successful head coach, and as an investigation into the vehicles driven by Terrelle Pryor continues, a report has surfaced that the star quarterback has yet another vehicle-related issue with which to deal.
According to NBC4 in Columbus, Pryor has been driving on a suspended license (http://www2.nbc4i.com/sports/2011/may/31/13/pryors-cars-now-focal-point-ncaa-probe-ar-513024/) for the past two weeks. BMV documents obtained by the television station show that Pryor’s license is under suspension until August for failing to provide proof of insurance. The BMV also told the station that there is no indication that he has any type of driving privileges.
Last night, Pryor was seen by multiple media outlets driving to and from the Woody Hayes Athletic Center in a 2007 Nissan 350z with temporary tags (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/OSU-Vehiclegate-Pryor-shows-up-to-team-meeting-?urn=ncaaf-wp2035). Pryor had also recently been spotted driving a 2009 Dodge Challenger with dealer tags on it (http://www.10tv.com/live/content/video/10tv.html?videoUrl=/sites/10tv/videos/2011/05/31/pryors-cars.xml).
All told, Pryor’s reportedly driven at least eight different automobiles during his three years in Columbus. That “unusually high” number of vehicles being driven around the campus triggered what the Columbus Dispatch described yesterday as a “significant inquiry (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/30/facepalm-report-significant-inquiry-by-ncaa-underway-for-terrelle-pryor/)” by both the school and the NCAA.
In a related development, the car salesman at the center of what’s become a widening probe into the purchases of at least 50 vehicles by football players and family members released a sworn affidavit this afternoon, proclaiming that nothing untoward transpired during his dealings with members of the football program.
“The deals that I did for Ohio State student-athletes were no different than any of the other 10,000-plus deals that I’ve done for all my other customers,” Aaron Kniffin, a former employee of two Columbus-area dealerships, said in the statement.
“OSU student-athletes weren’t given any enticements (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43227698/) to buy the car at my dealership,” Kniffin said. “At no time did memorabilia come into play when it came time to negotiate a deal or buy a car. I was never given any memorabilia from a student-athlete in exchange for a car deal.”
Kniffin’s denials notwithstanding, it’s becoming clearer by the day that Pryor, already suspended for the first five games (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/17/ncaa-buckeye-five-suspensions-to-remain-five-games/) of the 2011 season for receiving impermissible benefits, may very well have played his last down (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/30/with-tressel-out-supplemental-draft-rumors-back-in-for-pryor-others/) for the Buckeyes. In fact, OSU legend and ESPN analyst Chris Spielman went so far as to state on ESPN’s College Football Live show this afternoon that he thinks Pryor has played his final game as a Buckeye.
Regardless, we’re guessing that at this point in time there are myriad members of Buckeye Nation ruing the fact their school “won” the Pryor recruiting lottery back in the spring of 2008. And wishing that the post-Pryor era would commence post-haste.

bluedogok
5/31/2011, 09:41 PM
is the car new ??
The 350Z coupe was made between 2003-2008, the 370Z replaced it for the 2009 model year.

NorCal Sooner
5/31/2011, 10:48 PM
It's become obvious that Tressel has been protecting Pryor since the day Pryor arrived. Now that Tressel is gone, Pryor will be next to go.

picasso
5/31/2011, 11:26 PM
I disagree. I think AD was skirting the line very close to what is permissible. I think it was on the edge and still within the realm of plausible deniability. I'm glad someone in that situation came to their senses and had the car returned.

This stuff is happening everywhere I suspect to some degree or another. The key is stopping it once it's known. That's where Stoops and Tressel differ. Tressel could have made this go away by dropping the hammer. His problem as it seems now is that he had to continue the cover up because he was worried about the other skeletons in the closet coming out. Once you go down that road it's self perpetuating. It all comes out eventually. Just ask USC. Ask Auburn a year from now.

Every time I read about these stories. All fans of a major college football team live in glass houses. The cheating and extra bennies are occurring everywhere. The key is how the institution handles it once it's discovered. It's a continuous game of cat and mouse in a way.
AD drove a clunker when he was a freshman. I saw him get out of the thing.

Let's not confuse his little car incident with a player like Pryor and his lavish gifts.

batonrougesooner
5/31/2011, 11:36 PM
AD drove a clunker when he was a freshman. I saw him get out of the thing.

Let's not confuse his little car incident with a player like Pryor and his lavish gifts.

I'm not. My point is that this is happening everywhere. We are naive to think it's not. The key is once it's known it has to be stopped. I'm not saying known by the coaches. I mean known by the media.

Credit to Stoops or whomever to making it go away. These are kids with nothing who suddenly have the world at their finger tips. These "extra inducements" have to be kept in check. If not they take on a life of their own and can ruin a program.

texaspokieokie
6/1/2011, 07:23 AM
The 350Z coupe was made between 2003-2008, the 370Z replaced it for the 2009 model year.

yep, espn said it's a 2007.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/1/2011, 10:09 AM

Easy. There isn't anything in his head. Ever heard him speak? Except... I'm not sure it's distinguishable as "speaking".

He's a moron... dumber than dirt... and that's not doing a service to dirt.

badger
6/1/2011, 10:25 AM
I disagree. I think AD was skirting the line very close to what is permissible.

It wasn't even a new shiny Lexus. it was used and it just wasn't his old clunker. And it got returned. Completely different than Terrelle cruising around in a new "test drive" every time he's pulled over with his suspended license

texaspokieokie
6/1/2011, 10:28 AM
It wasn't even a new shiny Lexus. it was used and it just wasn't his old clunker. And it got returned. Completely different than Terrelle cruising around in a new "test drive" every time he's pulled over with his suspended license

if it's against the rules, doesn't matter whether it's shiney & new, or not.
pryor's ride (the last one) appears to be very shiney, but not new. guys on espn said it's an 07.

ouleaf
6/1/2011, 12:41 PM
If the NFL clears up this lockout and opens up the Supplemental Draft, it will be very interesting to see if Pryor bolts then and there.

badger
6/1/2011, 12:50 PM
if it's against the rules, doesn't matter whether it's shiney & new, or not.
pryor's ride (the last one) appears to be very shiney, but not new. guys on espn said it's an 07.

True, but if it was shiny and new, it would be a lot less likely that AD could afford it. A used Lexus would be a lot more affordable for a young student-athlete and his family, therefore, much more plausible that AD was actually considering buying it.

I don't think there's any question that Pryor wasn't buying any of those cars.

Scott D
6/1/2011, 02:28 PM

Well, add in the fact that Pryor has had 8 cars in 3 years in Columbus.

Flagstaffsooner
6/1/2011, 02:38 PM
He is soooo screwed. His college career is over and he wont be taken in the supp draft if there is one. Maurice Clarett deux.

ouleaf
6/1/2011, 03:20 PM
He is soooo screwed. His college career is over and he wont be taken in the supp draft if there is one. Maurice Clarett deux.

If Cam Newton can be taken first overall, it's pretty hard to believe that no one would take a chance on Pryor in the supplemental draft should they have one this year. Someone will gamble

EatLeadCommie
6/1/2011, 03:21 PM
a 2007 350Z would not be cost prohibitive...but 8 cars in 4 years would be.

texaspokieokie
6/1/2011, 03:22 PM
a 2007 350Z would not be cost prohibitive...but 8 cars in 4 years would be.

not unless you had more than one at a time.

TheBobbyTrain
6/1/2011, 04:42 PM
If Cam Newton can be taken first overall, it's pretty hard to believe that no one would take a chance on Pryor in the supplemental draft should they have one this year. Someone will gamble

i read some ESPN article that said if someone did pick him up in the supplemental draft it qualifies as a 7th round pick, so he'd be a relatively cheap gamble.

SoCaliSooner
6/1/2011, 04:50 PM
not unless you had more than one at a time.

The times he's been ticketed, each of the different vehicles were owned by the dealership, so yes, if each time you are driving a car it isn't yours then it is easy to swing that payment.

badger
6/1/2011, 05:25 PM
i read some ESPN article that said if someone did pick him up in the supplemental draft it qualifies as a 7th round pick, so he'd be a relatively cheap gamble.

In the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft.

I'd give up a seventh rounder. Maybe a sixth, fifth, or fourth. Third would be chancing it. Second would be risky. First would be too much, even though there were four QB's taken this year.

SoonerofAlabama
6/1/2011, 05:27 PM
He probably won't even play quarterback in the NFL. I would think either WR or with some work, DE.

Scott D
6/1/2011, 07:04 PM
It's not like it wasn't obvious that he could create some problems based upon the 3 months leading up to him signing his letter of intent.

Peach Fuzz
6/1/2011, 11:11 PM
This kid is completely ****in stupid... lol'd when he took off like a badass in his cute little car... awwww

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/2/2011, 02:01 AM
It would be hard to draft him even with low 7th round risk. His background check would turn out horrible I have a feeling. If he gets arrested, no franchise needs that type of trouble for a middling prospect...

JLEW1818
6/2/2011, 08:25 AM
he's done with college

the fall of the Ohio State?

and maybe the fall of the horns?

things happen quick

SoonerNomad
6/2/2011, 11:37 AM
I heard last night Pryor has a suspended license and shouldn't have been driving at all.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/2/2011, 11:41 AM
he's done with college

the fall of the Ohio State?

and maybe the fall of the horns?

things happen quick

sounds like haiku time

SoCal
6/2/2011, 12:12 PM
Just for fun I went autotrader.com and plugged in Pryor's car info and I came up with one car listed...Nationwide!! No special treatment found. Ha!

Per ESPN...Pryor's mother purchased the 2007 Nissan 350Z sports car with about 80,000 miles on it for her son, from Auto Direct Columbus, Inc.
The vehicle was financed for about $11,000. Pryor turned a Dodge Charger with a blown engine...I assume he didn't get jack for the trade in.

SoonerNomad
6/2/2011, 01:29 PM
Here's the story about the legitimate trade in of the car.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/06/02/ohio-state-pryor-cars.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a5

The link on si.com to the story said, "Pryor's lawyer says no problem with numerous cars" or something similar. Even before I linked, I am stunned by the irony of Pryor having a lawyer who probably costs more than any of the cars.

As I am writing this I worry that I am one of the ones jumping on Pryor, but I don't think so. I personally think he is a kid who has been given too much too soon and hasn't handled it well. He should be making better decisions, but I didn't at 19 or 20 so I don't think he is evil incarnate and I, if I were to apportion responsibility, would heap much more of this fiasco in Columbus on Coach Tressel and the administration that has fiddled while smoke was billowing all around.

SoonerMom2
6/2/2011, 03:37 PM
Was on ESPN reading the comments about the Pryor calls and the dumb lawyer comments when this guy posts:

"I'm going to do my own investigative reporting on this... I will be walking into the dealership in question and requesting 8 loaner sports cars. When they ask me how I want to pay for them I will just say my name.

I'll let you know if this is the standard deal for everyone later tonight "

How many of any of you have gotten a sports car as a loaner when your car is in the shop or you have had an accident and the insurance is paying? Mine have been little cars not sports cars!

meoveryouxinfinity
6/2/2011, 05:20 PM
Here's the story about the legitimate trade in of the car.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/06/02/ohio-state-pryor-cars.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a5

The link on si.com to the story said, "Pryor's lawyer says no problem with numerous cars" or something similar. Even before I linked, I am stunned by the irony of Pryor having a lawyer who probably costs more than any of the cars.

As I am writing this I worry that I am one of the ones jumping on Pryor, but I don't think so. I personally think he is a kid who has been given too much too soon and hasn't handled it well. He should be making better decisions, but I didn't at 19 or 20 so I don't think he is evil incarnate and I, if I were to apportion responsibility, would heap much more of this fiasco in Columbus on Coach Tressel and the administration that has fiddled while smoke was billowing all around.

I think most people have a problem with his arrogance and the way he sped off in his little sports car. I would have thought about how this would look and called up one of my friends to give me a ride (not to mention that his license is suspending--duhhh??). Secondly, the kid has made many serious mistakes recently. Landry Jones, for example, is under the same pressure as Pryor, and I don't see him making the same mistakes.

Some kids have it, some don't. There are the Bradford, Jones, and Thompsons of the world then there are the Pryor, Bomar, and Perrillouxs of the world. That's just the way it is.

Peach Fuzz
6/2/2011, 05:25 PM
I just don't know... it just seems like every decision he's made was a top 10 CFB dumbass move... and he's still at it. smh

meoveryouxinfinity
6/2/2011, 05:27 PM
I just don't know... it just seems like every decision he's made was a top 10 CFB dumbass move... and he's still at it. smh

ryan perrilloux.