PDA

View Full Version : Car Rental questions

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 11:50 AM
I know this has been talked about before.
But I'd like any new Info anyone may have

Just got off the phone with budget, They have a Pontiac G6 for 460 for 2 weeks with unlimited mileage .

Dont know anything about the G6, is it a comfortable car? I plan on around 5000 miles or so

Are there any better deals out there? anyone know the gas mileage on The G6?
TIA

mgsooner
5/31/2011, 11:53 AM
G6 gets on average about 21/22 city, 30+ highway.

Mjcpr
5/31/2011, 11:55 AM
Are you taking the posse on a roadtrip?

;)

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 12:08 PM
Are you taking the posse on a roadtrip?

;)

Hell we need a Party bus for that.:D

OUMallen
5/31/2011, 12:09 PM
Hell we need a Party bus for that.:D

I'll be expecting a late-night call. :P

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 12:09 PM
G6 gets on average about 21/22 city, 30+ highway.

Thanks, Its gonna be mostly Highway driving

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 12:10 PM
I'll be expecting a late-night call. :P

Call Hell, You gonna be going either as a Party-er or the dayum DD:D

Pogue Mahone
5/31/2011, 12:14 PM
Make sure it can go where you want to. A lot of companies limit the rentals to the state where you got the car and neighboring states.

If you're sticking to your state and neighbors, Hotwire is the Web site to start with. I've driven 30 different cars from Albuquerque to Norman for games, all for about $25 a day including fees.

SoonerLVZ
5/31/2011, 12:19 PM
I've rented a G6 for work before. It's ok, didn't want to buy it. Gas mileage was ok. It's better then a KIA or Hyundai, just make sure you don't get stuck with one of those. Rental companies will offer "or like cars" so you may not be really getting a G6. That being said, i actually liked the Civic more then G6 it was more comfortable. But throw a SHET fit if you get to the place and they try to give you a Kia or Hyundai. (i usually am at the airport, so if it's at an actual location, hopefully they'll just have your car)

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 12:19 PM
Make sure it can go where you want to. A lot of companies limit the rentals to the state where you got the car and neighboring states.

If you're sticking to your state and neighbors, Hotwire is the Web site to start with. I've driven 30 different cars from Albuquerque to Norman for games, all for about $25 a day including fees.

I want to just meander out west. Stop in Albq, then Flagstaff, Go see the Grand Canyon( which Ive passed by more times than i can count and never seen it) Then on up into Northern Cal to visit Family there. Then just which ever way I decide to come home.

Sooner_Tuf
5/31/2011, 12:28 PM
I want to just meander out west. Stop in Albq, then Flagstaff, Go see the Grand Canyon( which Ive passed by more times than i can count and never seen it) Then on up into Northern Cal to visit Family there. Then just which ever way I decide to come home.

Vet you need a Harley for that kind of traveling. Ape hangers and highway pegs baby!

Turd_Ferguson
5/31/2011, 12:32 PM
Vet you need a Harley for that kind of traveling. Ape hangers and highway pegs baby!He'd look like a piece of deep fried fat back by the time he got to NoCal...:D:D:D

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 12:35 PM
Vet you need a Harley for that kind of traveling. Ape hangers and highway pegs baby!

I'd love to do that. I've taken long road trips in the past, dont think I could do it again.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/31/2011, 12:52 PM

Uncle vet!

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 12:54 PM
Uncle vet!

Heh, May stop and have a beer with ya.;)

sooner59
5/31/2011, 12:56 PM
I know I had a Ford Fusion for 10 days (no idea of the mileage), but it was around $25 a day. But that is a little bigger than the G6 I think. But I believe there was a day or so of insurance on the bill (until I figured out my insurance covered it) and not sure if they charged for mileage. But the total bill after all charges was $325. But I had them fill it up ahead of time for a discount on price per gallon as when I turned it in I didn't have to turn it in filled up and gas was over a dollar more per gallon than what I paid.

For two whole weeks, $460 doesn't sound too bad if it includes unlimited mileage. Gas will eat you up driving 5K miles, though. You might want to check to make sure your car insurance covers accidents in rentals, or else you may want to purchase their insurance. But at Enterprise, it was like $17 per day. That would run your bill up quite a bit more.

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 01:06 PM
Whats weird is , If I wanted to do a Month rental it would cost me OVER twice as much as the 2 week dealio but Id only get 3000 miles.

So the dude said I could do 2 two week deals in a row if I wanted it longer

Flagstaffsooner
5/31/2011, 01:23 PM
I want to just meander out west. Stop in Albq, then Flagstaff, Go see the Grand Canyon( which Ive passed by more times than i can count and never seen it) Then on up into Northern Cal to visit Family there. Then just which ever way I decide to come home.You do know there is a bubonic plague epidemic in Flagpole, dont you?

Soonerfan88
5/31/2011, 01:24 PM

Definitely make sure the rental company knows you are going all the way to California. If you have any kind of accident/roadside issue in an area not pre-approved, it will cost you lots of money.

When traveling that kind of distance, I've actually gotten better deals and less hassle from a dealership than rental company. You might check them out also.

Have a great trip!

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 01:25 PM
You do know there is a bubonic plague epidemic in Flagpole, dont you?

Dont worry about me Bro. I'll make sure to get there after yer either Cured or DEAD.;)

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 01:27 PM
Definitely make sure the rental company knows you are going all the way to California. If you have any kind of accident/roadside issue in an area not pre-approved, it will cost you lots of money.

When traveling that kind of distance, I've actually gotten better deals and less hassle from a dealership than rental company. You might check them out also.

Have a great trip!

Thot about a dealership deal, Will check that out. Not sure when or even IF im gonna go this year. Just tossing the idea around and exploring things.

Biggest deal is if I can find some one I trust to take care of my critters.

EnragedOUfan
5/31/2011, 01:28 PM
www.fueleconomy.gov

Is an excellent website containing gas mileage...... Look up the car by make, year, model, its too easy....

jk the sooner fan
5/31/2011, 02:10 PM
vet - if you're going into the mountains or desert - get you something more comfortable than a G6.....thats a lot of time to spend in a car - and driving up some of that elevation - you'll want a couple extra cylinders

are you a member of Triple A or any other organizaiton? (aarp, etc)? sometimes they have great discounts

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 02:40 PM
Naw, to the ARRP or Triple A deal

Just the NRA and the DAV

Not gonna be in any hurry, so Dont think the engine size will matter that much. Sis only lives at around 3500 ft and Flag is what 5K ?

jk the sooner fan
5/31/2011, 02:43 PM
ok well i'm an NRA and DAV member as well - and i think they also have discounts

i like comfort when i'm on the road - i think i had a G6 when i went to florida on a TDY trip and wasnt all that crazy about how the dashboard sort of wraps around the seat

i think you'll go thru elevation over 5K to get to where your going but i could be wrong - i seem to remember NM being between 8 and 9

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 02:55 PM

Just the NRA and the DAV

Not gonna be in any hurry, so Dont think the engine size will matter that much. Sis only lives at around 3500 ft and Flag is what 5K ?

flag is around 6700 & further west in az hwy 40 goes over 7k.

also around 7k in NM, rite before you get into albuq.
albuq is in a valley, but is still around 5k.

engine ought to be fine. have made 2 trips in explorer, with engine of only 4
liters.

2121Sooner
5/31/2011, 03:18 PM
Biggest deal is if I can find some one I trust to take care of my critters.

Well your gator has already been taken care of..........that is one less thing to have to worry about

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 03:24 PM
i've made the trip from either tulsa or dallas (one way) to CA about 45 times. 1st time (round trip) in summer of 56. before I-40.

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 03:25 PM
i've made the trip from either tulsa or dallas (one way) to CA about 45 times. 1st time (round trip) in summer of 56. before I-40.

yes, about half the trips were from CA to OK or TX.

Sooner_Tuf
5/31/2011, 03:46 PM
^^^^^^^

tpo is talking to himself now

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 04:33 PM
Well your gator has already been taken care of..........that is one less thing to have to worry about

You are just so clever and witty.

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 04:56 PM
^^^^^^^

tpo is talking to himself now

i do that a lot.

no one else will talk to me.

Sooner_Tuf
6/1/2011, 02:05 AM
i do that a lot.

no one else will talk to me.

I know the feeling all too well.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/1/2011, 02:06 AM
Heh, May stop and have a beer with ya.;)

I-40 to Barstow, turn right. 375 miles to San Joaquin County. I'm just a mile off Interstate 5.

When?

yermom
6/1/2011, 02:13 AM

Just the NRA and the DAV

i've driven two different auto 4-cylinders (Jetta, Corolla) all through that area with no problems

my 6-speed manual turbo 4-cylinder Subaru was a lot better though :D

i've gotten some killer deals from hotwire in the past. i think it depends on the week though

sooner59
6/1/2011, 02:29 AM

:texan:

olevetonahill
6/1/2011, 02:45 AM
I-40 to Barstow, turn right. 375 miles to San Joaquin County. I'm just a mile off Interstate 5.

When?

jaun, not sure if i will even do it, But peem me yer didjits and I will call ya,
Ya already have mine :)

yermom
6/1/2011, 02:46 AM
jaun, not sure if i will even do it, But peem me yer didjits and I will call ya,
Ya already have mine :)

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/b/be/Ackbar.jpg

olevetonahill
6/1/2011, 02:53 AM
http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/b/be/Ackbar.jpg

Naw done sent jaun My didjits ;)

Whet
6/1/2011, 06:21 AM
NRA has rental car discounts.