PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new 'puter but I have some questions

achiro
5/31/2011, 11:37 AM
There was a time that I knew all about what to look for in a computer but it's been so long since I cared that I have pretty much forgotten everything. I'm not really brand specific but would like the best for the money without paying a ton. Main stuff we would do on this 'puter would be photograph stuff, streaming movies to xbox/ps3, some music(not a lot)and general internet junk. I don't do pc gaming at all, never used a webcam, and not even a lot of document stuff.

Intel, AMD or other? Does it matter?
What size processor?I've seen some stuff with i3 and i7?
RAM?
Memory? What does the HD in GBHD mean in regards to memory?
Is there a difference in wifi speed that I should look for?
Any other tips?

SoonerLVZ
5/31/2011, 12:11 PM
Hey Achiro,

let me take a stab at an answer for you.
For what you are running, it doesn't matter if you get an Intel or AMD or the processor size. You need a mid-tier system, just from a reliability stand point.
HD and GBHD are the same (GB is the abbr for gigabyte) and you'll need a 500gb hd, just for storage for photos. WiFi speed is usually deciated by the internet provider. If you want a desktop, you don't need a wireless adapter, but it can be nice depending on where you have the PC. But for a wireless adapter you'll get it a 802.11 N.

Don't spend over 500-600 bucks, MAX on a PC. You also don't have to have a computer to stream movies for the PS3/XBOX, just wanted to make sure you know it. If you have a monitor, you don't HAVE to buy a new one unless you want to. Back up your data/pics with a thumb drive and just copy and paste them to the new PC.

NormanPride
5/31/2011, 12:36 PM
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topic/498772-the-falcon-computer-build-guide/

achiro
5/31/2011, 03:39 PM
Hey Achiro,

let me take a stab at an answer for you.
For what you are running, it doesn't matter if you get an Intel or AMD or the processor size. You need a mid-tier system, just from a reliability stand point.
HD and GBHD are the same (GB is the abbr for gigabyte) and you'll need a 500gb hd, just for storage for photos. WiFi speed is usually deciated by the internet provider. If you want a desktop, you don't need a wireless adapter, but it can be nice depending on where you have the PC. But for a wireless adapter you'll get it a 802.11 N.

Don't spend over 500-600 bucks, MAX on a PC. You also don't have to have a computer to stream movies for the PS3/XBOX, just wanted to make sure you know it. If you have a monitor, you don't HAVE to buy a new one unless you want to. Back up your data/pics with a thumb drive and just copy and paste them to the new PC.

How much RAM should I look for? This seems to be the biggest issue with my former computers.

achiro
5/31/2011, 03:40 PM
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topic/498772-the-falcon-computer-build-guide/

That's all for a desktop right? I really think I would prefer a laptop for this one.

SoonerLVZ
5/31/2011, 03:47 PM
How much RAM should I look for? This seems to be the biggest issue with my former computers.

I'd say go with 6 to 8 gigs, that way you don't have to worry about it getting too old too fast. 4 is standard right now.

Sooner_Tuf
5/31/2011, 03:55 PM
HAPPINESS (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac?mco=OTY2ODQxNg)

NormanPride
5/31/2011, 03:58 PM
apple products are horribly overpriced.

achiro
5/31/2011, 04:04 PM
HAPPINESS (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac?mco=OTY2ODQxNg)

apple products are horribly overpriced.
I have a G5 and honestly the only thing I ever do on it is browse the internet. I bought it when I was doing more film editing but if I could sell it now and get a pc I would do it in a heartbeat. I know the newer ones are somewhat more compatible with windows software but the windows film editing software does everything I would ever need now so I don't see the use in paying more for a computer that ends up making me spend more on software as well.

Sooner_Tuf
5/31/2011, 05:47 PM
To each his own. We spend less overall after switching over to Apple.

If purchase price is your only criteria then just go to wal mart and get a $300 notebook.

yermom
5/31/2011, 05:58 PM
so you want a laptop?

i don't think i'd push anyone to Apple desktops, really, but i LOVE their laptops

especially if you aren't gaming...

if i was going cheap, i'd be looking at the new dual-core Atom Asus netbooks with ION video cards

depending on the G5, you might be able to sell it for enough to get a decent PC. for the tasks you describe, other than the streaming, which i'm not that familiar with, you don't need much in processing. my single core netbook can handle that, and it's only 1.6GHz with 1GB of RAM

SoonerAtKU
5/31/2011, 06:53 PM
I figure I'll piggyback on this one...

I burned out my video card a few months ago and have been scraping by on the on-board one. Are there any good recommendations for cards out there in the $80-120 range?

King Crimson
5/31/2011, 06:57 PM
i've had 2 Dell desktops and an Asus netbook last me over 10 years. i got 1 year out of a Powerbook that i paid twice as much for. i've had two iMacs in my office i don't pay for maintenance, over the same time period. i'm not an Apple hater, but i'm not a "true believer" either.

i would buy Asus today. and if i was smarter, i'd run it with Ubuntu.

yermom
5/31/2011, 08:03 PM
I had Mac laptops through work from 2002 to 2008. I only needed to upgrade once, but ended up upgrading twice. The last one I had was still in use by the guy that got it after me the last time I saw it a couple months ago.

I miss my MacBook Pro but my Asus does the vast majority of what I need at something like 1/5 the price?

And 99% of the time it's running Ubuntu, but it runs XP pretty well