PDA

View Full Version : Athlon's Magazine lists its All Big 12 QB....

NMSooner'80
5/31/2011, 01:38 AM
And I was floored to see that it was Robert Griffin of Baylor. :confused:

That's about as absurd as having him ahead of Landry Jones last year in one of the postseason lists. It's also about as ridiculous as some of the posts on various OU boards that had OU losing fairly easily in Waco last year.

I also think Weeden's honor last year in most circles was a result of premature voting (sort of like how Billy Sims got robbed of the '79 Heisman when star-struck losers voted for Golden Boy Charles White of Golden Boy HQ USC that year). But Griffin....????? :rolleyes:

ashley
5/31/2011, 07:01 AM
Griffin is a very average passer. He has gained lots of weight so he is not as fast. This combined with his long legs makes him not as quick getting started out of the pocket as a shorter guy. He is not close to Landry as a big time QB.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/31/2011, 07:18 AM
No offense to Landry who is a good QB but Baylor goes 3-9 with Landry if that. Griffin was still recovering from injury last year..so yes a little rust..but Griffin is a VERY good young quarterback...

delhalew
5/31/2011, 08:33 AM
I've regarded Athlon as a joke for quite some time.

SoonerofAlabama
5/31/2011, 08:51 AM
People are quick to forget, and although Landry didn't get due credit last year, he also wasn't able to impress on the big stage so people started to look for the next big thing. He doesn't necessarily need huge games against Florida State or the other big games we play, but a win on national television would impress many voters next year. He just needs to cut down on his mistakes and hope that th eline protects just a bit more this year.

JLEW1818
5/31/2011, 04:39 PM
it seems like these magazines come out earler each year..

i usually won't get one till the end of july early august

guess i might get one now

LRoss
5/31/2011, 04:55 PM
I'd imagine saying that "Landry Jones will have a big year" doesn't create much of a buzz for your publication.

Sooner_Tuf
5/31/2011, 04:57 PM
People are quick to forget, and although Landry didn't get due credit last year, he also wasn't able to impress on the big stage so people started to look for the next big thing. He doesn't necessarily need huge games against Florida State or the other big games we play, but a win on national television would impress many voters next year. He just needs to cut down on his mistakes and hope that th eline protects just a bit more this year.

He beat Florida State last year, he beat Texas last year, he OSU last year, he beat Nebraska for the Big XII Title last year, he won a BCS Game last year, all on National TV. None of those count as big wins?

goingoneight
5/31/2011, 09:54 PM
People have come to expect quarterback play to be good at OU. And following Sam is still a curse for LJ. Jones this year will have a comparable cast to what Sam had in 07 and 08, and he'll put up great numbers again with it. Problem is, until another Rhett Bomar 2005 happens in Norman... we're pass-happy U now in the eyes of voters. LJ's getting some respect, but not all the respect he deserves IMO. So he's not as precise as Sam was... NOBODY IS. In fact, I would wager that if Sam never played at OU, Landy Jones would be on somebody's lists for being one of the greatest QBs ever given his current development trend. In fact, poor OL and receiving corps combined in 2009, he still had one of the better freshman years in CFB history for a QB. I think one Sam Bradford and one Colt McCoy are about the only ones who you could literally point to as being more productive. Sam and Colt's teams were built for championship runs, which Landry's was a little harder to work with til late last year.

Sooner_Tuf
5/31/2011, 10:30 PM
Landry will probably finish with better numbers than Sam. Or at least at this point it looks that way.

TheLadiesMike
5/31/2011, 11:35 PM
No offense to Landry who is a good QB but Baylor goes 3-9 with Landry if that. Griffin was still recovering from injury last year..so yes a little rust..but Griffin is a VERY good young quarterback...

Pretty sure he is entering his senior year since he started playing in 08.

SoonerofAlabama
5/31/2011, 11:54 PM
He is a senior.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/1/2011, 02:01 AM
I consider all college players young players. Except for Chris Weinke and Wheeden anyway since they were both in their 40's ;)

sooner59
6/1/2011, 02:41 AM
No offense to Landry who is a good QB but Baylor goes 3-9 with Landry if that. Griffin was still recovering from injury last year..so yes a little rust..but Griffin is a VERY good young athlete...

I think this may be a little more accurate.

Salt City Sooner
6/1/2011, 07:23 AM
Griffin's a 4th year junior. He got a hardship waiver for '09.

SoonerofAlabama
6/1/2011, 10:02 AM
Griffin's a 4th year junior. He got a hardship waiver for '09.

Yes, he played their first three games before getting a knee injury in his third one. He had four TDs and no INTs.

rekamrettuB
6/1/2011, 11:20 AM
He beat Florida State last year, he beat Texas last year, he OSU last year, he beat Nebraska for the Big XII Title last year, he won a BCS Game last year, all on National TV. None of those count as big wins?

1st rule of OU fandom: There are no big wins...only big losses.

The Maestro
6/1/2011, 11:28 AM
Landry is a lot better QB than Robert Griffin when throwing to receivers is involved and not scrambling when the play falls apart. Which, I believe, is job number one of a QB...so I'll take Landry. There is a reason he didn't sign with Baylor.

SoonerPride
6/1/2011, 11:34 AM

100% true.

No game is a big game.

Unless we lose.

Soonermagik
6/1/2011, 11:55 AM
If it were a track meet I want Griffin. However, if we're talking about the QB position where you're required to throw then I will take Jones all day long.

badger
6/1/2011, 12:07 PM
I basically said the same thing yesterday about Mizzou being declared QB U in the Big 12. But it's worth repeating:

It's effing Baylor. Baylor has nothing. Even when Baylor gets bowl eligible, they lose their bowl, a bowl in their backyard. They probably didn't even get to stay in a fancy hotel or experience a genuine bowl trip. And they lost.

Baylor now has its own game at the Cotton Bowl, but it's no RRS. It's Texas Tech, and they can't even fill half the stadium. They divide their seats down the endzone, not the 50-yard line, so their fans never even have to get close to each other. Pathetic rivalry game. And they lost that too.

Baylor have a first round draft pick a few years ago. But it wasn't even the first overall. No it was #2. Baylor finally has a player good enough to go first overall, and he gets relegated to second. Poor Baylor.

In conclusion, LET BAYLOR HAVE THIS. They have nothing else and never will.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/1/2011, 12:19 PM
I am sure Landry is losing lots of sleep about this conjecture of a magazine.

badger
6/1/2011, 01:14 PM
I am sure Landry is losing lots of sleep about this conjecture of a magazine.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/photo_images/2516309/58260_Landry_Jones.jpg

NO, Landry! Stop eating the Fiesta Bowl trophy! Just because Athlon's didn't name you top Big 12 quarterback, that's no reason to destroy your teeth!

;)

NMSooner'80
6/1/2011, 01:17 PM
I doubt Landry lost a bit of sleep over the snub. I just think it would have been cool to have arrived back in New Mexico on Monday evening with a magazine that listed our N.M.-born QB as the first-team choice.

SoonerofAlabama
6/1/2011, 01:40 PM
More for Landry to prove.

Flagstaffsooner
6/1/2011, 02:31 PM
If Athlons had softer pages I would buy it for the bathroom. For now I will stick with the old Sears Roebuck catalogue.

SicEmBaylor
7/20/2011, 07:06 PM
I basically said the same thing yesterday about Mizzou being declared QB U in the Big 12. But it's worth repeating:

It's effing Baylor. Baylor has nothing. Even when Baylor gets bowl eligible, they lose their bowl, a bowl in their backyard. They probably didn't even get to stay in a fancy hotel or experience a genuine bowl trip. And they lost.

Baylor now has its own game at the Cotton Bowl, but it's no RRS. It's Texas Tech, and they can't even fill half the stadium. They divide their seats down the endzone, not the 50-yard line, so their fans never even have to get close to each other. Pathetic rivalry game. And they lost that too.

Baylor have a first round draft pick a few years ago. But it wasn't even the first overall. No it was #2. Baylor finally has a player good enough to go first overall, and he gets relegated to second. Poor Baylor.

In conclusion, LET BAYLOR HAVE THIS. They have nothing else and never will.

I take serious issue with this. I promise Baylor didn't stay in a ****ty hotel.

PalmBeachSooner
7/21/2011, 02:04 PM

Has any QB succeeded at Baylor?

NMSooner'80
7/21/2011, 04:04 PM
They had some good QB's in the early 80's, including the year when they beat BYU back when no one else was (I think it was '83) on their schedule. I think a guy named Don Trull, who made his name in the AFL with the Oilers, was from Baylor also.

OUmillenium
7/21/2011, 04:06 PM
Another reason I don't buy Athlons.

oudavid1
7/21/2011, 05:12 PM
Well Griffin does have one major advantage, he didnt fumble in the victory formation (Weeden), or fumble vs Texas like Landry.

SicEmBaylor
7/21/2011, 05:38 PM
Has any QB succeeded at Baylor?

LOTS! They just didn't play for Baylor.

CowboyMRW
7/21/2011, 05:39 PM
Weeden is learning from Trent Dilfer this past week. You know, the guy that won a superbowl :D

SoonerofAlabama
7/21/2011, 06:34 PM
Weeden is learning from Trent Dilfer this past week. You know, the guy that won a superbowl :D

I know it's a joke here, but that was also one of the most ferocious defenses in a very long time. Just sayin'.

sperry
7/21/2011, 07:47 PM
Griffin took Baylor to a bowl game. He's a freaking stud.

oudavid1
7/21/2011, 11:41 PM

Trent Dilfer had an amazing defense. He wasnt that good. Brandon Weeden has a mediocre defense, so I dont see a reason to learn from him.

CowboyMRW
7/21/2011, 11:47 PM
Can't yall see the :D face. I was just playing, although it certainly can't hurt to learn a few things from an NFL quarterback. Trent didn't win the superbowl by himself but he sure didn't screw it up. He did a serviceable job there and he was smart enough on his throws and that's what he's teaching. What to look for and how to settle in the pocket and not bounce around

oudavid1
7/21/2011, 11:52 PM
Can't yall see the :D face. I was just playing, although it certainly can't hurt to learn a few things from an NFL quarterback. Trent didn't win the superbowl by himself but he sure didn't screw it up. He did a serviceable job there and he was smart enough on his throws and that's what he's teaching. What to look for and how to settle in the pocket and not bounce around

Like fumble in the victory formation?

sooner59
7/22/2011, 12:13 AM
Can we start a petition to get those Fiesta Bowl to make a better trophy? I mean, they are giving out tons of money to people. Might has well save some and make a decent trophy.

Quik Sand
7/22/2011, 07:53 AM
Weeden is learning from Trent Dilfer this past week. You know, the guy that won a superbowl :DMakes sense as they are the same age...childhood friends.

Sooner Cal
7/22/2011, 09:16 AM
Who wastes their money on these magazines anymore? Everything is available for free on the Internet.

SicEmBaylor
8/7/2011, 01:19 AM
King Robert III is the best QB in the Big XII(-2).

Eielson
8/7/2011, 01:25 AM
King Robert III is the best QB in the Big XII(-2).

He threw a grand total of ONE touchdown in his final three regular season games. I don't care how bad the rest of his team is...he's not the best.

SoonerofAlabama
8/7/2011, 02:29 AM
RGIII isn't the best in the league. He had some good games but I don't think the argument could be made that he is the top dog of the Big XII, but hey, at least he made top 3. :P :D

BoulderSooner79
8/7/2011, 11:50 AM
RGIII isn't the best in the league. He had some good games but I don't think the argument could be made that he is the top dog of the Big XII, but hey, at least he made top 3. :P :D

Not true. SicEm can and will make the argument (or at least the assertion). I don't think many folks here will agree though ;)

TIMB0B
8/7/2011, 12:32 PM

This.

delhalew
8/7/2011, 01:37 PM
LOTS! They just didn't play for Baylor.

LMAO.

King Barry's Back
8/8/2011, 08:17 AM

Fla State WOULD have been a big win, if we hadn't blown them out so badly. TX WOULD have been a big win if they hadn't ended up losing so many games. Winning a BCS bowl WOULD have been a big win if we weren't playing UCONN. And beating OkSt is NEVER a big win.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/8/2011, 09:25 AM
The two back to back TD passes near the end of the Oklahoma/Oklahoma St. by Landry and the huge 4th and 2 pass completion for 11 yards for a first down in the Big 12 championship game against Nebraska were 3 bigger and better plays than Robert Griffin has made in his entire career. Those were "nails" plays.

oumartin
8/8/2011, 10:41 AM
c'mon, SicEm had the post of this thread so far about many QB's succeeding "at baylor"....I thunk it was funny....