PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 Bloggers: 5 Thoughts on QBs (CFN)

SoonerBread
5/31/2011, 12:27 AM
Link (http://cfn.scout.com/2/1075258.html)

Mike Vorel: On which Big 12 school is today’s QB U?

The title “QB U” is a lofty one. It should be. It’s like using the words awesome or genius – which in today’s world are more often than not used indiscriminately. QB U implies that said school does not simply produce one or two prized quarterbacks; this program must be a veritable QB factory, pumping out the best of the best consistently every two to three years. So, with that said, does any Big 12 program fit the bill?

The most obvious team in that regard, at least as far as college production, is the Missouri Tigers. Missouri’s previous three quarterbacks have been perhaps the best in school history, first reviving the program and then placing them permanently on the national stage.

The trendsetter was Brad Smith, a tremendously talented dual threat quarterback who became the first Division I player ever to throw for 8,000 yards and run for 4,000 yards in a career. He carried a talent-sparse Tiger squad on his back for four seasons, setting the school records for career rushing yards and total yards. Smith was a deadly weapon in Mizzou’s spread option attack, and that athleticism has lent itself towards a successful career as a returner/wide receiver/Wildcat quarterback for the New York Jets.

Missouri didn’t miss a beat after Smith’s departure, however, replacing him with under-recruited Texan Chase Daniel. Daniel stood at a modest 6’1”, but overcame that lack of size with impressive decision-making and pinpoint accuracy. He threw for 12,515 yards in his four seasons in Columbia, earning Heisman nominations in 2007 and 2008.

Of course, I’d be remiss not to mention Blaine Gabbert, coach Gary Pinkel’s latest quarterback product. Gabbert’s college production wasn’t as impressive as his two predecessors, but his physical attributes left NFL scouts and coaches drooling. Standing at 6’5” and 234 lbs, Gabbert was the ideal pro-style quarterback, somehow thrown into a spread offense. Nonetheless, Gabbert’s strong arm, above-average mobility, and mesmerizing golden locks earned him the no. 10 pick in the 2011 NFL draft. Gabbert is heading to the murky swamps of Jacksonville, but judging by recent history, Missouri’s quarterback position should have a new star imminently.

That man, most likely, will be Corinth, TX product James Franklin. Franklin is a tank of a man, standing at a stout 6’2” and 225 pounds. The sophomore has a strong arm, but is renowned for his tough running style. It seems likely that with Franklin at the helm, the Tigers will resemble the option-heavy attack Smith perfected nearly a decade ago.

With a decade of straight production at the position, I think it’s safe to anoint Missouri as the Big 12’s “QB U.” Oklahoma runs a tight second, with Josh Huepel, Jason White, Sam Bradford and now, Landry Jones. But the slip-ups of Rhett Bomar and Paul Thompson prevent the Sooners from overcoming Mizzou.

This is obviously a very heated discussion, and I expect each fan base to state its case. With that said, fire away.

LOL! This guy is serious, too. College production? Texas Tech, anyone? Or how about 2 Heisman winners at OU, with a 2nd place and 3rd place finish just for good measure? Mizzou as QB U. :rolleyes:

yermom
5/31/2011, 12:35 AM
not even a mention of Texas?

SoonerBread
5/31/2011, 12:44 AM
not even a mention of Texas?

inorite!?

EatLeadCommie
5/31/2011, 04:40 AM
Pretty poorly reasoned article, IMO. Bomar/Thompson weren't really slip-ups. Bomar himself slipped up, but he obviously had the skills. Hell, he made an NFL roster while having to finish out his career at a podunk school. Even Hybl, who is much maligned, made an NFL scout team for a few years. Heupel and White did not, but were clearly very productive. Brad Smith had one great game against solid competition (us, unfortunately, but like the rest of the Mizzou guys, spent most weeks playing the Sisters Of The Poor in the BXII north).

Heupel - won a NC, a BXII championship, 2nd in Heisman voting
Hybl - won a BXII championship, Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl, made an NFL scout team
White - won 2 BXII championships while a head QB, 2 NC game appearances, Heisman winner, and 3rd place Heisman
Bomar - didn't do much due to being kicked off the team, but still made the NFL
Thompson - as a stop-gap at QB, he only won a BXII championship
Bradford - Heisman winner, BXII championship, NC game appearance, 1st pick of the NFL draft
Jones - BXII championship, Fiesta Bowl championship, preseason Heisman candidate

The answer is OU and it isn't even close.

sooner518
5/31/2011, 07:08 AM
The only question you need to ask is how many times did mizzou's quarterbacks win the conference.

None times.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/31/2011, 07:30 AM
Who gives a ****...Mizzou is QB U. I will settle for Conference Championship U.

SoonerofAlabama
5/31/2011, 09:51 AM
I think the part i the article about Brad Smith being a success in the NFL is funny. As for the QB U thing, it isn't Mizzou, but who cares.

SoonerMarkVA
5/31/2011, 12:00 PM
Well, that was 2 minutes skimming of my life I'll never get back. Mizzou isn't "football-anything" U.

Jello Biafra
5/31/2011, 01:29 PM
roflmao paul thompson eh? won the big XII as a backup QB where he started the season as a backup WR...

sorry eat lead....just saw your post...

NormanPride
5/31/2011, 01:37 PM
We'll see how permanent Mizzou's prominence is this year.

Jello Biafra
5/31/2011, 01:41 PM
o by the way, QB + tough running style can only mean one or two things....

mizzou wont be very good in the passing game this year or james franklin will be spending some time hurt this year.

badger
5/31/2011, 01:46 PM
Mizzou will hate us forever for taking 2007 away from them. That was their best shot ever of winning it all, and they did... except when they played us. Then they lost. Repeatedly. With titles, #1 ranking, Heisman, you name it, all on the line. Loser, loser, Chase McBooger :P

That being said, they have an impressive stable of QB's. Brad Smith nearly derailed us early in his career before Pinkel ruined him into pocket passing.

Chase didn't suck, even if their magical 07 campaign was derailed by THE MAN, NUMBER 40 :D

As for Blaine Gabbo, can't really question him - first rounder, beat us last season, beat Texas A&M at College Station quite soundly, probably the best of the three.

fwsooner22
5/31/2011, 02:06 PM
So that McCoy kid and Vince Young don't even get mentioned ?

SoonerofAlabama
5/31/2011, 02:08 PM
kighOUC8Ig8

LakeRat
5/31/2011, 02:23 PM
Mizzou has 3 qb's who have made NFL rosters. 2 will see real playing time this year. (one is a WR). I can see how you would get there. We have 1. If that was the argument, then I could understand. But his argument was based on college numbers . . .

so if having a guy win a Conference championship is a slip up, I will take 25 slip up recruits a year.
If Two heismans and a runner up with one being the #1 overall pick and rookie of the year, doesn't match the other three, the other three are some serious studs.
Their three are good and you need to give them some credit, but that is a far stretch.

badger
5/31/2011, 02:57 PM
OU has everything. Why can't we let poor little rejected-from-Big-Ten Mizzou have a blogger's opinion on who QB U is?

SoonerofAlabama
5/31/2011, 03:03 PM
Mizzou has 3 qb's who have made NFL rosters. 2 will see real playing time this year. (one is a WR). I can see how you would get there. We have 1. If that was the argument, then I could understand. But his argument was based on college numbers . . .

so if having a guy win a Conference championship is a slip up, I will take 25 slip up recruits a year.
If Two heismans and a runner up with one being the #1 overall pick and rookie of the year, doesn't match the other three, the other three are some serious studs.
Their three are good and you need to give them some credit, but that is a far stretch.

Well technically, they only have two. Blaine Gabbert hasn't signed on account of the lockout.

SoonerofAlabama
5/31/2011, 03:07 PM
Speaking of quarterbacks, has Landry put on the 10-15 pounds of muscle that he wanted?

CrimsonCommando
5/31/2011, 04:18 PM
The only question you need to ask is how many times did mizzou's quarterbacks win the conference.

None times.

^^^ This. LOL. This man speaks the truth.

Sooner_Tuf
5/31/2011, 05:02 PM
Mizzou - We're the Tigers, well not THE Tigers but we are Tigers.

usaosooner
6/1/2011, 10:05 PM
Brad Smith isn't a qb in the NFL.. wTF

the_edge
6/2/2011, 01:23 AM
That is the journalistic equivalent of a troll post.