PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops and His Staff Stand Alone As The Best In College Football

FaninAma
5/30/2011, 03:22 PM
Coaches that were listed as Stoops' equal just a short time ago have not stood the test of time.

Jim Tressel and Pete Carroll lacked his ethical principles.

Mack Brown and Nick Saban lack his dedication and loyalty to his staff and employer.

Urban Meyer lacked his grit and ability to deal with the pressure and demands of coaching a premier D-1 college football program.

I have criticized some of the assistants from time to time but I was wrong. Stoops runs his program the right way. He treats his staff the right way. There isn't another staff in the country that has as good of a relationship with their players, administration, fans and each other as does the current OU staff.

They will pull the program and players through the latest series of tragedies and they will be stronger for it. And everybody who knows this staff and the players know they will come together like the family they are.

Sooner_Tuf
5/30/2011, 03:25 PM
Stoops is as good as they come. We have been lucky to have him.

BetterSoonerThanLater
5/30/2011, 03:25 PM
Amen.

LostCreekSooner
5/30/2011, 03:37 PM
Fire Venables!!! :D

yermom
5/30/2011, 03:48 PM
Fire Vulnerables!!! :D

;)

i was thinking about this today too. who has been around as long as Stoops now at a major school, other than JoePa?

JoePa was at Penn State well before Switzer came to OU... that is just crazy.

soonerinabilene
5/30/2011, 03:53 PM
;)

i was thinking about this today too. who has been around as long as Stoops now at a major school, other than JoePa?

JoePa was at Penn State well before Switzer came to OU... that is just crazy.

Mack has a year on bob as far as tenure goes.

MyT Oklahoma
5/30/2011, 03:53 PM

^^ This.

Salt City Sooner
5/30/2011, 03:58 PM
As someone who is a bit physically challenged himself, you're going to have to forgive me if I find it a bit difficult to equate having heart problems with grit & the ability to deal with pressure. Last I checked, he had enough of both to win 2 NC's before landing in the hospital.

SoonerofAlabama
5/30/2011, 03:59 PM
We don't always think about it, but after the whole fiasco with our previous coach and then get a class act like Bob Stoops is just extraordinary.

Thank You, Coach Stoops.

yermom
5/30/2011, 04:00 PM

Mack doesn't count :D

(not sure how i forgot about him)

Osama Bin Laden
5/30/2011, 04:07 PM
Mack Brown and Nick Saban lack his dedication and loyalty to his staff and employer.

I have to assume dedication is attached to loyalty in this sentence. If not, I disagree wholeheartedly that Saban doesn't have his dedication. But I'm assuming it meant dedication to his staff.

yermom
5/30/2011, 04:31 PM
Mack Brown has been criticized for being too loyal to his assistants as well. i'm not sure you could really fault him for leaving UNC for Texas though. he doesn't really seem the job hopper that Saban does

swardboy
5/30/2011, 04:57 PM
When the heck is Mack ever rumored for another job? Who wants him?

AlboSooner
5/30/2011, 05:11 PM
When the heck is Mack ever rumored for another job? Who wants him?

Listen Mack sucks, but nobody is leaving Texas for anywhere else.

Always_Sooner
5/30/2011, 05:13 PM
I used to be hard on Stoops, but after the 2009 Orange Bowl I began to feel for Stoops; because you could see the look on his face and tell he wanted to win so bad. He is a better person than he is a coach.

oudavid1
5/30/2011, 06:03 PM
Joe C, thank you.

Oh, and Saban is a better defensive coach. Hands down.

Osama Bin Laden
5/30/2011, 06:35 PM
Oh, and Saban is a better defensive coach. Hands down.

That's like saying God bench-presses more than you. I think Stoops and company are (just about) as fine a defensive minds as you will find in college football. It's not easy coaching defense in the Big XII.

oudavid1
5/30/2011, 06:57 PM
That's like saying God bench-presses more than you. I think Stoops and company are (just about) as fine a defensive minds as you will find in college football. It's not easy coaching defense in the Big XII.

Yep, I compared a man made skill to a faith based religious complex. Wait, no I didnt.

I would agree its not easy in the Big 12, but the SEC has good offenses too. Saban is a better defensive mind. Bill Belichick agrees. I think he knows something about being a good coach. Oh and TCU has had better defensive rankings than OU the past 4 years. And they have been winning. Stoops is a great coach, but Im pointing out he is not the best defensive mind in the country.

Osama Bin Laden
5/30/2011, 07:00 PM
Yep, I compared a man made skill to a faith based religious complex. Wait, no I didnt.

I would agree its not easy in the Big 12, but the SEC has good offenses too. Saban is a better defensive mind. Bill Belichick agrees. I think he knows something about being a good coach. Oh and TCU has had better defensive rankings than OU the past 4 years. And they have been winning. Stoops is a great coach, but Im pointing out he is not the best defensive mind in the country.

1) I've never heard coaching defense called a "man made skill"

2) You completely missed the point

3) OU would have better defensive rankings too if we played their schedule

oudavid1
5/30/2011, 07:06 PM
1) I've never heard coaching defense called a "man made skill"

2) You completely missed the point

3) OU would have better defensive rankings too if we played their schedule

1. So how did I miss on man made skill?

2. I said Saban was the best defensive mind, so what point did i miss?

3. Coming from a team that gave up 43 points to Boise, TCU gave up 17. Oh and they gave up 7 to #5 Utah. At Utah.

ashley
5/30/2011, 07:16 PM
Saben 1b

FaninAma
5/30/2011, 07:37 PM
Saban is a great coach. I just think that he hasn't set down roots at Alabama like Bob has at OU.

I think Mack has thrown a few coaches under the bus prior to last year. I think the massacre that occurred in Austin last year was just a culmination of his managerial style.

agoo758
5/30/2011, 07:39 PM
1. So how did I miss on man made skill?

2. I said Saban was the best defensive mind, so what point did i miss?

3. Coming from a team that gave up 43 points to Boise, TCU gave up 17. Oh and they gave up 7 to #5 Utah. At Utah.

Maybe, I should send you a tweet that explains how one game in 2007 doesn't tell the whole story of Stoops' defenses under his tenure. You think that 06 defense was as good as the 00-02??

Oh, and by the way, Utah turned out not to be a very good team that year. Another poor argument.

Sooner_Tuf
5/30/2011, 07:42 PM
Saban is a great coach. I just think that he hasn't set down roots at Alabama like Bob has at OU.

Saban doesn't seem like the type to stay put anywhere. He does have a statue in Tuscaloosa. That has to be worth something.

Mack is the ultimate yes man. I didn't like him at OU and he hasn't changed for the better since.

Soonermagik
5/30/2011, 09:33 PM
I couldn't agree more; I wouldn't want any other coach to run the program. I hope Stoops stays another decade!!!

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 07:37 AM
Stoops was DC on team that won MNC.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/31/2011, 07:45 AM
Well Stoops' defenses would be a lot better if he just "medical hardshipped" his under producing players and over recruiting by 10 to 15 players a year too. Give Stoops 10 to 15 more players every year and Saban would look like his little bitch. Stoops believes in this little thing called ethics though where if you promise a kid an education and opportunity, you don't take it away because they are just good to below average and not great.

Romulus
5/31/2011, 08:13 AM
Saban and Stoops are alone at the top, except Saban has more NCs under his belt

oudavid1
5/31/2011, 05:43 PM
Maybe, I should send you a tweet that explains how one game in 2007 doesn't tell the whole story of Stoops' defenses under his tenure. You think that 06 defense was as good as the 00-02??

Oh, and by the way, Utah turned out not to be a very good team that year. Another poor argument.

Saban and Stoops are alone at the top, except Saban has more NCs under his belt

My original argument was Saban > Stoops, but yes, Utah was undefeated at home and favored by Vegas. Ill take Vegas over your opinion any day.

I didnt say Stoops wasnt a good defensive coach, im saying Saban is a great one.

Blue
5/31/2011, 05:50 PM
here here! Thanks Coach!

yermom
5/31/2011, 06:28 PM
My original argument was Saban > Stoops, but yes, Utah was undefeated at home and favored by Vegas. Ill take Vegas over your opinion any day.

I didnt say Stoops wasnt a good defensive coach, im saying Saban is a great one.

um, Vegas isn't as good as hindsight

how many points did Saban's team give up to Utah in 2008?

Blue
5/31/2011, 06:31 PM
I cant wait for Stoops to pimp slap Saban in a bowl game so all this Saban is God stuff will cease.

Yes Saban is a great coach, but so is Bob Stoops. I'd take him 100 times out of 100 over saban.

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 06:33 PM
Coaches that were listed as Stoops' equal just a short time ago have not stood the test of time.

Jim Tressel and Pete Carroll lacked his ethical principles.

Urban Meyer lacked his grit and ability to deal with the pressure and demands of coaching a premier D-1 college football program.

I have criticized some of the assistants from time to time but I was wrong. Stoops runs his program the right way. He treats his staff the right way. There isn't another staff in the country that has as good of a relationship with their players, administration, fans and each other as does the current OU staff.

They will pull the program and players through the latest series of tragedies and they will be stronger for it. And everybody who knows this staff and the players know they will come together like the family they are.

But he dont got the Loyalty Nor Integrity of BS.;)

yermom
5/31/2011, 06:33 PM
I cant wait for Stoops to pimp slap Saban in a bowl game so all this Saban is God stuff will cease.

Yes Saban is a great coach, but so is Bob Stoops. I'd take him 100 times out of 100 over saban.

well, Saban would have won in 2000 then gone to the Browns or something ;)

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 06:37 PM

Dayum, I like yer thinkin.;)

SoonerofAlabama
5/31/2011, 07:02 PM

I would love for that to happen. Living here in Alabama, I come in contact with a lot of Tide fans. They always say that if we played them, they would beat us so badly and that the teams we beat by 20, they would beat by 100. A bowl game win against Alabama would be awesome. It might shut them up for a little while.

olevetonahill
5/31/2011, 07:19 PM
I would love for that to happen. Living here in Alabama, I come in contact with a lot of Tide fans. They always say that if we played them, they would beat us so badly and that the teams we beat by 20, they would beat by 100. A bowl game win against Alabama would be awesome. It might shut them up for a little while.

Ya caint shut up some one with a trumpet faced mascot.;)

GKeeper316
5/31/2011, 08:14 PM

dude has a heart condition and that means he lacks grit?

wtf is wrong with you?

SoonerofAlabama
5/31/2011, 09:00 PM
dude has a heart condition and that means he lacks grit?

wtf is wrong with you?

Mark Dantonio had a heart attack on the football field and is still coaching. Not that I am agreeing with him, just saying.

Fraggle145
5/31/2011, 09:03 PM

Uh. No.

Fraggle145
5/31/2011, 09:06 PM

Ramma Jamma and Saban shouldnt get a pass for the *** whipping Utah put on them.

You need to watch about 10 more years of college football and then I would consider this a valid opinion.

agoo758
5/31/2011, 09:14 PM

So, you are using someone else's argument to defend YOUR arguments?:rolleyes:

I am not saying it is an unfair statement, I am just saying that "OU gave 43 points in one game 5 years ago LOLZ" is a stupid way to justify your stance.

oudavid1
5/31/2011, 11:20 PM
Ramma Jamma and Saban shouldnt get a pass for the *** whipping Utah put on them.

You need to watch about 10 more years of college football and then I would consider this a valid opinion.

I can see what your saying.

So, you are using someone else's argument to defend YOUR arguments?:rolleyes:

I am not saying it is an unfair statement, I am just saying that "OU gave 43 points in one game 5 years ago LOLZ" is a stupid way to justify your stance.
Ok, to be honest, i forgot what i was arguing because im not too focused right now.

But im not gonna post in this thread anymore cause apparently you have to go to OU to know anything.

TheLadiesMike
5/31/2011, 11:33 PM

You are comparing defensive performances by 2006 OU v. 2006 Boise, 2009 TCU v. 2009 Boise and 2010 TCU v. 2010 Utah to show OU's defensive rankings would not be better if they played in the SEC? That literally makes no sense at all.

Oh, and Notre Dame held Utah to 3 the next week, so I guess ND/Brian Kelly > TCU/Gary Patterson by that "logic". :rolleyes:

Blue
5/31/2011, 11:36 PM
You are comparing defensive performances by 2006 OU v. 2006 Boise, 2009 TCU v. 2009 Boise and 2010 TCU v. 2010 Utah to show OU's defensive rankings would not be better if they played in the SEC? That literally makes no sense at all.

Oh, and Notre Dame held Utah to 3 the next week, so I guess ND/Brian Kelly > TCU/Gary Patterson by that "logic". :rolleyes:

OUDavid couldn't wash Sooner04's stolen jock to sniff when it comes to knowing obscure facts and applying them to current events. jus sayin.

Salt City Sooner
5/31/2011, 11:40 PM

This, plus I'd add the fact that OU's DEFENSE, for all intents & purposes, only gave up 21 points to BSU in 4 quarters (PT threw a pick 6, fumbled inside the OU 10, & the other TD came when BSU started on the OU 25 in OT) a more than respectable effort against a very, very good team.

SoonerofAlabama
5/31/2011, 11:56 PM
People are really hard on oudavid1.

d.stOUgh
6/1/2011, 02:17 AM

I lived in Oklahoma from '71 thru '85, and my ex-wife at the time of Stoops hiring told me..."A defensive coordinator from fla?...we need OFFENCE"!

Glad she was wrong!

BOOMER SOONER!

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/1/2011, 02:26 AM
**** after Blake, I just wanted a coach who could get 11 guys on the field most of the time..

TVKaleen
6/1/2011, 11:47 AM
I would like to point out that Stoops has never lost to a team that has never had a winning record in the FBS. Saban has lost to Louisiana-Monroe, a team that has NEVER had a winning record in FBS.

TheLadiesMike
6/1/2011, 12:38 PM
I would like to point out that Stoops has never lost to a team that has never had a winning record in the FBS. Saban has lost to Louisiana-Monroe, a team that has NEVER had a winning record in FBS.

Also, Stoops does not have a losing record against any coach he has played more than once. The closest is 2-2 v. Miles. Saban has a losing record to Tuberville. Carroll had a losing record to Harbaugh. Meyer also had a losing record to Tuberville.

SoonerOX
6/1/2011, 12:42 PM
What happened to this thread?

oudavid1
6/1/2011, 01:04 PM
People are really hard on oudavid1.

Sometimes im wrong, so i should be hung for it.

yermom
6/1/2011, 01:07 PM
i can't remember the last time you were chastised for wrong information

Seamus
6/1/2011, 01:15 PM
I lived in Oklahoma from '71 thru '85, and my ex-wife at the time of Stoops hiring told me..."A defensive coordinator from fla?...we need OFFENCE"!

Glad she was wrong!

BOOMER SOONER!

Since when are ex-wives ever "right"?

oudavid1
6/1/2011, 02:47 PM
i can't remember the last time you were chastised for wrong information

Yes, "(but since im 19 and didnt go to OU, my opinions dont matter.)"

A quote from someone on this board.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/1/2011, 02:56 PM
To be fair your opinions don't matter...but not going to OU and being 19 aren't really the problem ;)

JRAM
6/1/2011, 02:56 PM
Even if it was said in jest, lostcreeksooner needs to have his head shoved into his rotten *** considering all that Venables has been through lately. Downright reprehensible.

oudavid1
6/1/2011, 02:58 PM
To be fair your opinions don't matter...but not going to OU and being 19 aren't really the problem ;)

I would totally agree with this! :D

No really, I would.

The Maestro
6/1/2011, 03:05 PM
Back to the original point...I look at Stoops handling of Bomar and compare it to Tressel with this fiasco at Ohio State. Stoops could have VERY EASILY swept the Bomar deal under the rug, start a cover up and been selfish to the program and team for hopes on instant success in what was supposed to be a big year for Bomar and the team.

Stoops made the tough call and the press conference where he announced it proved it. He hated to do what he knew he had to do...but he did it. He caught grief as the national media acted like Stoops lacked control. Covering that up would have never allowed that out. His team suffered in the short term as they scrambled for a replacement...and PT proved himself worthy leading OU to the least likely of Stoops Big 12 titles.

Similar situations...Tressel played dumb and covered it up. Stoops made the hard and right decision that even put himself in a bad light. Glad we have our guy.

FaninAma
6/1/2011, 09:21 PM
Back to the original point...I look at Stoops handling of Bomar and compare it to Tressel with this fiasco at Ohio State. Stoops could have VERY EASILY swept the Bomar deal under the rug, start a cover up and been selfish to the program and team for hopes on instant success in what was supposed to be a big year for Bomar and the team.

Stoops made the tough call and the press conference where he announced it proved it. He hated to do what he knew he had to do...but he did it. He caught grief as the national media acted like Stoops lacked control. Covering that up would have never allowed that out. His team suffered in the short term as they scrambled for a replacement...and PT proved himself worthy leading OU to the least likely of Stoops Big 12 titles.

Similar situations...Tressel played dumb and covered it up. Stoops made the hard and right decision that even put himself in a bad light. Glad we have our guy.

This comparison was exactly why I started this thread.

Stoops chose the principled path and put the University and program ahead of the short term benefits of keeping Bomar on the team would have provided.

Pete Carroll did the same thing as Tressel.

Compromising your ethical principles even if was done to protect a talented player can be a slippery slope.