PDA

View Full Version : So the Ohio State job is now open... who comes?

JLEW1818
5/30/2011, 11:39 AM
Any chance that they can convince Urban Meyer to come?

I know the hammer could be coming?

SoonerofAlabama
5/30/2011, 11:40 AM
It isn't open for another year. They are sticking with Luke Fickle for 2011-2012.

But as far as a new head coach, Ohio State has always been Urabn Meyer's dream job. He is out of coaching for now and probably next year, he will be hired unless Fickle comes out of nowhere and does amazingly.

afs
5/30/2011, 11:40 AM
Stoops to tOSU.

JLEW1818
5/30/2011, 11:41 AM
right i know it won't open till 2012

if things don't get too bad... i could see Meyer taking it? or will he wait for ND?

SoonerofAlabama
5/30/2011, 11:42 AM
His dream job is the head coaching job at tOSU. He wouldn't go to ND over that.

JLEW1818
5/30/2011, 11:43 AM
yah, i'm sure he will wait and see what happens before he pulls a Kiffin

SoonerLB
5/30/2011, 11:44 AM
Beyond me why anyone would think that job would be a prize . . . just sayin'.

JLEW1818
5/30/2011, 11:46 AM
Beyond me why anyone would think that job would be a prize . . . just sayin'.

if they don't pound them with the hammer, it's a great job.

Huge legacy, huge stadium, huge for recruiting

a top 10 coaching job of all time in college football

BigDeezy
5/30/2011, 11:46 AM
I think Urban has had his eye on this all along. I predict he'll be their coach next year.

bixby28
5/30/2011, 11:57 AM
Patterson (TCU) may be a candidate. One other guy may be Peterson at Boise St.

swardboy
5/30/2011, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't think anyone would touch it until the NCAA spells out what it's going to do.

SoonerofAlabama
5/30/2011, 12:02 PM
I think that with TCU heading to a Big Six Confernce, Patterson will be happ y where he sits.

EatLeadCommie
5/30/2011, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't think anyone would touch it until the NCAA spells out what it's going to do.

This. Getting rid of Tressel may help them some with the NCAA, but there seems to be a worm under every rock that gets overturned. They could really get creamed by sanctions.

Flagstaffsooner
5/30/2011, 12:15 PM
Lane Kiffin;)

BoulderSooner79
5/30/2011, 12:34 PM
If they can figure out a way to control flesh-eating zombies, they'll dig up Woody Hayes to take the job.

Jacie
5/30/2011, 01:02 PM
John Blake

CBUS_SOONER
5/30/2011, 01:06 PM
His dream job is the head coaching job at tOSU. He wouldn't go to ND over that.

i thought it was ND

lexsooner
5/30/2011, 01:10 PM
Well, let's get it over with: Stoops to Ohio State? The Browns, Florida, Cowboys????? Of course each college program's fans will think their program is much better than OU's and Stoops would be crazy not to come. Yawn.

SoonerofAlabama
5/30/2011, 01:15 PM
i thought it was ND

No, he was born in Ohio and grew up as a Buckeye fan.

rekamrettuB
5/30/2011, 01:18 PM

Probably the reason they are sticking with Fickle this year.

Anyone think Pryor will declare for supplemental draft? Not sure what triggers supplemental draft or even when it is but I do know it exists. Of course with lockout, who knows?

SoCal
5/30/2011, 01:20 PM
Assistant Luke Fickell will serve as Ohio State's interim coach throughout the 2011 season before a formal search of both external and internal candidates takes place.

Colleague Bruce Feldman has examined who might be on Ohio State's list when it looks for a long-term solution. Feldman identifies seven candidates.

1. Urban Meyer: This is the grand slam hire for Ohio State, given Meyer's pedigree, track record and age. Meyer grew up in Ohio, graduated from the University of Cincinnati and was a graduate assistant for the Buckeyes in 1986-87. He stepped down at Florida after the 2010 season and is spending more time with his family and doing TV for ESPN. In the book Meyer wrote in 2008, he said that Notre Dame, Ohio State and Michigan were the only coaching jobs his wife had no power to veto.

2. Bo Pelini: The fiery former Buckeyes safety grew up in the football hotbed of Youngstown. He got his coaching start as a graduate assistant under Hayden Fry at Iowa and then spent a decade in the NFL. Pelini is one of the sharpest defensive minds in college football. Other defensive coaches are very impressed by the system he runs. In three seasons since taking over the Nebraska program, he has restored much of the power to the Huskers brand, leading them to a 30-12 mark which includes back-to-back 10-win seasons.

3. Gary Patterson: The 51-year-old Patterson has elevated TCU into a legit big-time program by winning an eye-catching 66 games in the past six years. No head man working in the college game is any more driven than the Kansas native. He is very hands-on running practice and developing his players into a tough, physical, disciplined team. His style would play well in Columbus.

4. Jon Gruden: I know this guy is a natural on TV talking football, but at some point you'd think he'll be tempted to try out all of the scheme studying he's been doing at the college level. Gruden spent hundreds of hours going to school on Chip Kelly's system and several others. I suspect it would be quite a lab for him. My hunch is Gruden, whose charisma is off the charts, would be the ultimate closer as a recruiter. In terms of fit, there aren't many college jobs that have the luster that Ohio State has.

5. Mark Dantonio: Seeing as how Dantonio is a Tressel protege, it's very possible that this might be too awkward of a move for either party. But you can't dismiss Dantonio's credentials. He was the Buckeyes' defensive coordinator when OSU won the BCS title. He did a nice job in his first shot as a head coach at Cincinnati and has Michigan State on the upswing. In 2010, he led the Spartans to an 11-2 season and a share of the Big Ten title.

6. Mark Stoops: If there's a Stoops that would fit at this point for Ohio State, I suspect it would be Mark, not Bob, who I doubt would ever leave OU for another college job knowing the setup he has in Norman (elite program, history, great boss). Mark, the FSU defensive coordinator, is a product of Youngstown and played defensive back at Iowa in the late 1980s. He was a high school coach in Ohio and has gone on to coach in every time zone in the country. Stoops actually coached against and lost to the Buckeyes in the BCS title game while he was defensive backs coach at Miami.

7. Gary Pinkel: Like many guys on this list, Pinkel is an Ohio guy. He was born in Akron, played at Kent State (where he roomed with Steelers legend Jack Lambert) and spent a decade winning a lot of football games at Toledo. Since leaving the MAC, he has done a very nice job as head coach of the Missouri Tigers and has won 40 games in the past four seasons. Is there much more realistically he can do for Tiger football? Then again, does OSU, which is going to be dealing with the fallout of the end of the Tressel era and NCAA sanctions for a while, want to hand the keys to a coach who just turned 59?

It's an interesting list.

Meyer is an extremely intriguing choice, given his credentials, his Ohio roots and the fact he isn't coaching a team right now. His health issues might be a concern, but Feldman is right: Meyer is a home-run hire.

Patterson is another interesting name. His defensive style certainly would resonate with Buckeye Nation. But would he leave a very comfortable situation at TCU for a new region and a job that has incredible pressure?

Pelini and Dantonio also could draw interest from Ohio State because of their ties to the school and to the state. Both men still must prove they can win on a truly national level, but both are defensive-minded coaches who could thrive in Columbus.

I would add Bob Stoops to my list of candidates. Sure, he's got a great gig at Oklahoma, but Ohio State would be foolish not to at least gauge interest from one of the game's most successful coaches, not to mention a guy with local ties.

Although Fickell certainly can help his cause for the permanent job by steadying the ship this season, Ohio State must conduct a true national search. Anything less would be a disservice to the Buckeye football brand. If Fickell emerges as the best choice, fine, but Ohio State has to conduct a thorough search process.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation

ashley
5/30/2011, 01:24 PM
Luke Fickell

rekamrettuB
5/30/2011, 01:35 PM
Finkle and Einhorn

SoCal
5/30/2011, 01:43 PM
http://www.foxsportsohio.com/05/30/11/Whos-the-next-coach-at-Ohio-State/landing_ohiostate.html?blockID=529472&feedID=3724

Mark Dantonio: Michigan State's head coach was Tressel’s defensive coordinator at Ohio State for the 2002 national championship team and has been successful as a head caoch with the Spartans and, before that, Cincinnati. Dantonio knows the university and the Big Ten and would figure to be on any short list.

Tony Dungy: The former Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Indianapolis Colts head coach hasn’t shown much interest in returning to coaching and has served only one year as a college coach — he coached defensive backs at his alma mater, Minnesota, in 1980. But Dungy is one of the most respected men in the game, is highly regarded as a mentor and motivator and is in position to land a prime coaching job if he wanted to return. His interest in the Ohio State job would seem remote, but he has the qualities the school would be seeking.

Jon Gruden: Gruden has a great gig at ESPN and doesn’t appear to be in a hurry to leave the Monday Night Football booth for the stresses of the sideline. But the former Super Bowl-winning coach is a workaholic who’s admitted that coaching will always be in his blood. And because he’s both a big name and an Ohio native, he’ll be mentioned as a candidate if the job opens. Gruden was the keynote speaker at Tressel’s annual high school coaches clinic in Columbus last month.

Luke Fickell: The Buckeyes' interim coach is a Columbus native, an Ohio State alum and has been coaching in the program since 2002. The pluses to hiring Fickell would be continuity and his experience inside a program that has won in bunches during his time as an assistant. But Fickell’s job this season clearly isn’t going to be an easy one, and even if he does well, there could be some within the university who believe it’s time for a change.

Darrell Hazell: The longtime Ohio State assistant might have been appointed interim coach if he had not left to become head coach at Kent State after last season. He’s a long shot now because Fickell will hold the chair and bigger names figure to emerge, but Hazell is a name to watch now — and, more likely, in the future.

Urban Meyer: He walked away from his job at Florida for family and health reasons, but no one really seems to believe he’s done coaching. It just so happens he’s an Ohio native who got his head-coaching start at Bowling Green, and his free-agent status has had people in and around Columbus abuzz since the Tressel saga began. If he wants to coach again, he seems like a short-list candidate at worst.

Chris Petersen: An innovative, risk-taking play caller, he has won big at Boise State. His name has been mentioned for almost every major job over the past few years, but he has a pretty good thing going and doesn’t appear to be in a hurry to leave. Yet, Ohio State is a really big job — at least, without major NCAA penalties it is — so don't be surprised if he's mentioned again.

Bo Pelini: The intense Nebraska head coach seems less likely to have interest now that the Cornhuskers are in the Big Ten and he has a good job at a tradition-rich program. But Pelini is a native of Youngstown, Ohio, and is a former Buckeyes team captain. And he’s only 44 and is considered a rising star, so a return to his alma mater certainly shouldn’t be ruled out.

Bob Stoops: The Oklahoma coach is also a Youngstown native and a proven winner. Though he’s making a ton of money and winning at a very high clip at Oklahoma, his name has been mentioned in conjunction with other big-time openings. Maybe those were just rumors, and maybe he’s fine coaching a team that’s likely to be a preseason favorite to win the national championship this year. We’ll see, but he’d better prepare to start answering questions about Ohio State.

Mel Tucker: The Jacksonville Jaguars' defensive coordinator is an Ohio native and was a Tressel assistant from 2001 to '04. During that time, Tucker played a huge role in opening the recruiting pipeline from his hometown of Cleveland to Ohio State, and Tressel benefited greatly. This season will be his fourth as an NFL defensive coordinator, but Tucker’s roots are in the college game. And if Ohio State thinks he can keep bringing to Columbus top-quality players like Donte Whitner and Ted Ginn Jr., both top-10 NFL picks, and Troy Smith, a Heisman Trophy winner, Tucker will be considered.

fadada1
5/30/2011, 02:20 PM
It isn't open for another year. They are sticking with Luke Fickle for 2011-2012.

Luke Fickle??? Didn't he die in a horrible kiln explosion???

my bad - fawn leibowicz. go on about yer business.

caseysooner
5/30/2011, 02:20 PM
What big name coach would want to come there with the sh*t storm that's about to hit?

Big D Sooner
5/30/2011, 02:24 PM
The national media still thinks that OU is a destination job. They are nuts, Stoops has it rolling, he is surrounded by his guys, and he can recruit nationally.

I'll start the rumor... Mack Brown to Ohio State.

rekamrettuB
5/30/2011, 02:24 PM
What big name coach would want to come there with the sh*t storm that's about to hit?

Sounds like a fantastic opportunity for Lane Kiffin.

badger
5/30/2011, 02:36 PM
Lee Corso :D
John Blake :eek:
Dennis Franchione :rcmad:
Les Miles :les:
Howard Schnelly :eddie:
Pat Jones :stunned:
Greg Davis :mack:
Rich Rodriguez :mad:

I would name Lane Kiffie again, but I think USC is his dream job, even with the NCAA breathing down his back

SoonerMom2
5/30/2011, 02:44 PM
Ohio State has NEVER been Stoops dream job -- only Buckeye fans think it is. He and his brother Mike went to Iowa for a reason. Stoops has a President and AD he likes and can trust. OSU President is very arrogant and not someone I would ever see Stoops working for. Noted that the top guys are ESPN don't even mention Stoops any more to OSU.

My money is on Urban Meyer unless the sanctions are really bad. With the fact the NCAA wouldn't hear the appeal of USC and their coach and AD left, I would expect OSU to get clobbered so what coach would want to go there.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/30/2011, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't think anyone would touch it until the NCAA spells out what it's going to do.It could be ripe for James Trafficant.

5/30/2011, 03:06 PM
I'll start the rumor... Mack Brown to Ohio State.we like him just fine at the cows, thankew.

soonerloyal
5/30/2011, 04:33 PM
Send 'em John Blake.

MichiganSooner
5/30/2011, 07:18 PM
Mike Gundy. Gumby has done a fine job at OSU although it took several years to finally get 2 excellent seasons. So what if he can't beat OU; he will only be going against Michigan and Penn State in the Big 10. And he could still say he is coaching at OSU.

birddog
5/30/2011, 07:26 PM
Mike Leach to tO$U!

CBUS_SOONER
5/30/2011, 07:55 PM
After the NCAA drops the hammer the only one who will want it is Fickell

Partial Qualifier
5/30/2011, 08:08 PM
And if they're even remotely wanting to clean up their image, I'd think they would steer clear of jail warden Urban Meyer

BoulderSooner79
5/30/2011, 10:28 PM
This is the perfect situation for an up and coming coach from a mid-major. He would be unknown outside his locale and have a built in grace period during the sanction period. He could then get credit for rebuilding an elite program with tradition (assuming he could do it). Another angle could be an assistant at a major school, like Mark Stoops, trying to do what Bob did at OU. Except any probation period would make it a bit different situation.

goingoneight
5/30/2011, 10:30 PM

But as far as a new head coach, Ohio State has always been Urabn Meyer's dream job. He is out of coaching for now and probably next year, he will be hired unless Fickle comes out of nowhere and does amazingly.

We heard that about Notre Damn, also.

goingoneight
5/30/2011, 10:35 PM
What we need is for tOSU to get ban-hammered, suffer three-to-four miserable 5-7ish seasons (see what i did there, Hook'em?) and get the athletic department totally cleaned up and the OSU fans salivating over the thought of just sniffing success again. Then, a promising, young Sooner assistant finally lands a big-time job. Then, after leading Ohio State to three-consecutive 13-1 seasons, all with National Championship game losses to Stoops and OU, the promising young assistant bails and takes a coordinator position back at OU. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
5/31/2011, 06:49 AM
Any chance that they can convince Urban Meyer to come?

I know the hammer could be coming?

Urban resigned from UF to set this one up. He must have known it was coming...

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 07:05 AM
Urban resigned from UF to set this one up. He must have known it was coming...

and he knew this, how ???

CBUS_SOONER
5/31/2011, 07:09 AM

Doesn't mean it was his dream job... My sources say ND

CBUS_SOONER
5/31/2011, 07:11 AM

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/2008/12/urban_meyers_dream_job_is_stil.html

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/31/2011, 07:27 AM
I would lose what little respect I have for Urban if he took this job. I mean seriously this guy has quit twice for health reasons. If he really loves his family and those around him, he will stay away from a sidelines...no one wants to see a coach die on the sidelines...

Jacie
5/31/2011, 07:32 AM
...no one wants to see a coach die on the sidelines...

There have been a few I wouldn't have minded . . .

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/31/2011, 07:38 AM
No you wouldn't. It is going to make the crowd tame and calm. Then another 30 minutes to an hour to get them off the field. By this time you have been sitting in the sun on the east side for that extra hour...you didn't buy that $40 dollar of bottled water because you figured the second half would fly by with the clock running...so no the fans overheat too and you get 10,000 deaths....It's science..

sendbaht
5/31/2011, 07:45 AM

That's what I'm thinking.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/31/2011, 07:50 AM
They should hire Gary Gibbs, then in 4 years hire, by then, Drunk Les Miles who will embarrass the program after predicting his team will sweep the floor with Northwestern then lose 45-0. Then hire Andy Katzenmoyer for 4 years who drive them into Turd town.. Then by that time hire a young up and coming coaching tandem of Isaac and Drake Stoops...

5/31/2011, 02:14 PM
They should hire Gary Gibbs, then in 4 years hire, by then, Drunk Les Miles who will embarrass the program after predicting his team will sweep the floor with Northwestern then lose 45-0. Then hire Andy Katzenmoyer for 4 years who drive them into Turd town.. Then by that time hire a young up and coming coaching tandem of Isaac and Drake Stoops...I'll have what he's having.

humblesooner
5/31/2011, 02:41 PM
I won't go through the details since it is all second-hand, but supposedly someone who plays golf with Urban was told that he is going to stay retired for 2 more years, then take the Longhorn job.
If this happens, I will then tell the story of how I heard it.
For now, just file under second-hand rumors.

Flagstaffsooner
5/31/2011, 02:42 PM
Gundy, he's taken that garbage truck as far as it can go and the **** is gonna hit the fan on that program too. He will be a good sacrificial lamb for a program that will get anal abuse from the NCAA without lube. Lane Kiffin II.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/31/2011, 02:44 PM
and he knew this, how ???

These guys are close and probably know the dirt. Not hard to think this may be a plan.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/31/2011, 02:45 PM
I won't go through the details since it is all second-hand, but supposedly someone who plays golf with Urban was told that he is going to stay retired for 2 more years, then take the Longhorn job.
If this happens, I will then tell the story of how I heard it.
For now, just file under second-hand rumors.

Why would he want the whorn job and not the UF job...I can't think of any less a pressure cooker than whorn land, esp. after Mack guts the place.

humblesooner
5/31/2011, 03:18 PM
Why would he want the whorn job and not the UF job...I can't think of any less a pressure cooker than whorn land, esp. after Mack guts the place.

Didn't say why.
IF it happens, the key words are Fred McGriff and Masters Golf Tournament.

NormanPride
5/31/2011, 04:17 PM
I would laugh until my throat gave out if they hired Gary Pinkel. I believe everyone else in the Big 10 would as well.

soonercoop1
5/31/2011, 04:42 PM
No big name coach in their right mind would take the tOSU job when they are almost guaranteed a near death penalty...

NMSooner'80
5/31/2011, 04:53 PM
http://www.foxsportsohio.com/05/30/11/Whos-the-next-coach-at-Ohio-State/landing_ohiostate.html?blockID=529472&feedID=3724

Bob Stoops: The Oklahoma coach is also a Youngstown native and a proven winner. Though he’s making a ton of money and winning at a very high clip at Oklahoma, his name has been mentioned in conjunction with other big-time openings. Maybe those were just rumors, and maybe he’s fine coaching a team that’s likely to be a preseason favorite to win the national championship this year. We’ll see, but he’d better prepare to start answering questions about Ohio State.

Fortunately, I think we've finally reached the point where Stoops really isn't rumored to be heading north and east anymore. If ESPN's talking heads start with Urban, Pelini and D'Antonio, then for once we don't have to hear this "Stoops to somewhere in Ohio/Indiana" nonsense much longer.

BTW, well done on the Fickle and Einhorn reference, whoever thought of it. :D

ouleaf
5/31/2011, 05:05 PM
Herbie might spontaneously combust if Meyer were the coach of the Buckeyes. We all thought Kirk was gay for Tebow, but if Meyer comes to Columbus look out....he might just move his family back there.

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 05:47 PM
These guys are close and probably know the dirt. Not hard to think this may be a plan.

it's really hard for me to think that this was a plan.

who knew when the **** was gonna hit the fan @ osu ??

someone planned this ???

the-rover
5/31/2011, 06:34 PM
they will never do it, but if i were them....Leach. If they couldn't get him...... Mangino

goingoneight
5/31/2011, 07:34 PM
Setting up nicely for the Pelini family to own themselves a new BIG 12 conference.

Jacie
5/31/2011, 07:52 PM
From Lostlettermen.com, you can now put your money where your mouth is in this discussion . . .

Ohio St. Head Coaching Odds Released

It didn’t take long for Vegas to weigh in on the Ohio State mess.

On the same day Jim Tressel was forced to resign, the betting website Bodog.com placed odds on who will be the next coach in Columbus.

Former Florida coach Urban Meyer and the Super Bowl-winning Jon Gruden are the favorites at 3:2 and 3:1, respectively.

Florida State defensive coordinator and Youngstown native Mark Stoops is 5:2 while Nebraska head coach and OSU alum Bo Pelini (10:1) and Michigan State head man and former OSU defensive coordinator Mark Dantonio (12:1) are the other three candidates listed.

And from the Did-You-Know Department, there is still a Tressel employed by tOSU athletic department. Dick, Jim's brother, is the buckeye running backs coach.