PDA

View Full Version : Official NCAA Selection Thread

soonermike53
5/30/2011, 10:38 AM
Ok Sooners, someone step up and post the regionals as they come up. I am on the way back from the lake or else I would.

Ps I can't believe UCLA got a host seed. OU and Arkie much more deserving, imo.

Collier11
5/30/2011, 11:37 AM
OSU in, probably will be throttled...tough region with Vandy

Collier11
5/30/2011, 11:38 AM
Tex the only top 8 seed for the Big 12

Collier11
5/30/2011, 11:38 AM
Wow, Baylor gets into Rice's region at 29-26

Collier11
5/30/2011, 11:41 AM
UCLA keeps a 1 seed at 33-22, wow

IndySooner
5/30/2011, 11:43 AM
I think we're getting shipped unless we see Arkansas in the College Station regional. If not, and we end up in the TCU regional, we have Omaha in our reach.

Collier11
5/30/2011, 11:43 AM
K.State in as a 3 seed in the CS Fullerton region

Collier11
5/30/2011, 11:44 AM
A&M gets Zona as the 2 seed in their region

Collier11
5/30/2011, 11:45 AM
Arkansas going to Tempe, that leaves us in Ft.Worth I believe

IndySooner
5/30/2011, 11:46 AM
WOW. Arkansas got 100% screwed! We're in Fort Worth for sure now. Road to Omaha is right there for us!

Collier11
5/30/2011, 11:46 AM
We get Dallas Baptist, Tcu gets ORU...very winnable region if our bats show up

Collier11
5/30/2011, 11:48 AM
We lost to DB by 1 and swept TCU fairly easily

soonermike53
5/30/2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the updates! What region is seeded with us in the super regionals?

thurman murman
5/30/2011, 11:50 AM
The winner of our regional plays the winner of the Houston regional consisting of Rice, Alcorn St., Baylor and Cal.

SoonerofAlabama
5/30/2011, 11:51 AM
Beat Dallas Baptist, then probably TCU and we play the winner of the Houston Regional.

Collier11
5/30/2011, 11:51 AM
also very winnable, we just have to wake up

soonermike53
5/30/2011, 11:52 AM
The winner of our regional plays the winner of the Houston regional consisting of Rice, Alcorn St., Baylor and Cal.

That's about as good as it gets considering we are not hosting.

thurman murman
5/30/2011, 11:55 AM
That's about as good as it gets considering we are not hosting.

absolutely.

thurman murman
5/30/2011, 12:09 PM
complete bracket:

http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/baseball/d1/2011

Lott's Bandana
5/30/2011, 12:37 PM
complete bracket:

http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/baseball/d1/2011

Flash FAIL.

bcolston15
5/30/2011, 02:12 PM
It's there for the taking.

hvhurricane
5/30/2011, 02:14 PM
What has Purke done since coming back from injury. I wonder if they will try to save him for the second game.

IndySooner
5/30/2011, 02:15 PM
Honestly, this is better than hosting. If we host, we probably draw Arkansas. Especially since Purke is not 100% (probably not 80%) this is the best possible draw. That said, it will take an effort we haven't seen in a while.

IndySooner
5/30/2011, 02:15 PM
What has Purke done since coming back from injury. I wonder if they will try to save him for the second game.

He was throwing 87-88 MPH the other night against New Mexico. Like Stilson, Purke isn't right.

IndySooner
5/30/2011, 02:16 PM
Assuming we get by DBU, I would expect to see Winkler. That said, TCU can't overlook ORU, so who knows?

bcolston15
5/30/2011, 02:25 PM
So is Steven Maxwell hurt, too? To me, he's their best pitcher.

And I'll say it now, we should throw Burch Smith against DBU.

Blue
5/30/2011, 02:41 PM
I likey.

IndySooner
5/30/2011, 03:02 PM
Winkler's been their Friday guy. Maxwell pitched Saturday for the first time in forever.

bcolston15
5/30/2011, 03:12 PM
Winkler's been their Friday guy. Maxwell pitched Saturday for the first time in forever.

Hmmm... I bet they start Mitchell against ORU and save Winkler or Purke for Saturday.

Sooner95
5/30/2011, 04:40 PM
Looks good to me. Not what i was hoping for at the start of the season, but considering how we've been playing, we got a good break. FW works for us, we've swept TCU this yr and lost by one run to DB.

If our bats wake up, we will win this regional easily.

jadubya
5/30/2011, 06:06 PM
/\ We don't make anything easy this year....however, I second what has already been mentioned regarding OUr draw. We have the most reasonable / winnable road to Omaha of any school out there.

Ruf/Nek7
5/30/2011, 09:20 PM
I about died laughing when I saw OU draw DBU first game on Friday. I played ball for one year before transferring to OU! Too bad work is going to keep me from getting an all session pass for the regional..I will be in attendance for some of those games for sure.

Gaius_Longinus
5/30/2011, 10:48 PM
We aren't playing well at all either, but that doesn't seem to bother anyone. Why is that?

ouboomer1
5/31/2011, 12:46 AM
We aren't playing well at all either, but that doesn't seem to bother anyone. Why is that?

i think most people are saying 'if' the bats show up OU could have success..There is no team in the regional that is heads and shoulders better than everyone else. College baseball is about getting enough batters hot at the same time and they can carry you a long way in the Regionals.

IndySooner
5/31/2011, 09:04 AM

It does. That said, it's a weekend of if's. Plus, I'm not sure that we're not that much better than TCU. Beyond Winkler, their entire staff is a question mark. Purke is playing hurt, Maxwell's been absent, Miller is VERY hittable. I don't think they can't beat us if they have to play more than three games. Beat them Saturday night and it's over, in my opinion.

Then you move on to play either Rice or Cal. I'm not convinced Rice is coming out of that regional, so we beat TCU and we host a super regional. At home, anything is possible.

This is all predicated on the team pulling its collective head out of its ***. Will that happen? Who the hell knows?

NMSooner'80
5/31/2011, 01:07 PM
The main thing that concerns me regarding TCU is that they are SO due against OU. It could be that we''re in their collective heads like we've been with OSU in football over the years. But, they are good and dangerous on the diamond, and even their TV crew (they produce their own telecast, and they're on "The Mountain" all the time) has noticed that they haven't done well against OU.

IndySooner
6/1/2011, 08:32 AM
It's not a matter of being due. It's a matter of OU being the better team. Have been, with the exception of last year, maybe, for quite some time.

OU is the favorite in this region. We'll be picked by a lot of people to win the region (hint: our site is not one of those---stay tuned for our previews today). Play good baseball and move on to Houston---or Norman---next weekend.

rysooner
6/1/2011, 10:45 AM
It's not a matter of being due. It's a matter of OU being the better team. Have been, with the exception of last year, maybe, for quite some time.

OU is the favorite in this region. We'll be picked by a lot of people to win the region (hint: our site is not one of those---stay tuned for our previews today). Play good baseball and move on to Houston---or Norman---next weekend.

Indy, how would that work? I know that if both regional hosts lose they have to find another host for the super, but what determines that? Is it ranking, or...?

soonermike53
6/1/2011, 12:58 PM
Indy, how would that work? I know that if both regional hosts lose they have to find another host for the super, but what determines that? Is it ranking, or...?

Believe it is lower ranking of the two. Don't know what happens if the two advancing teams are ranked the same

IndySooner
6/1/2011, 03:02 PM

It goes by bid, but typically it's goes by seed. So, if OU were to move on and Cal wins in Houston, it's probably OU's bid. If Baylor were to move on in Houston, it's really up to the committee to decide, but I can't see them giving Baylor the nod over OU.

rysooner
6/1/2011, 03:21 PM
It goes by bid, but typically it's goes by seed. So, if OU were to move on and Cal wins in Houston, it's probably OU's bid. If Baylor were to move on in Houston, it's really up to the committee to decide, but I can't see them giving Baylor the nod over OU.

That would be nice, but like an earlier post said, it concerns me that we're not coming into this regional playing very good baseball. Now, I realize one little spark can really get things rolling, (read Panda in Virginia last year), but I'm not holding my breath, espically the way this team has performed outside of Norman so far this year.

IndySooner
6/1/2011, 03:32 PM
Eh, it's definitely been a blah season. I'm hoping the post-season will break them out of the doldrums. The more I read about Winkler, the more I think he's hurt along the same lines as Stilson, etc. From what I'm reading, assuming we beat DBU, we'll see Purke. If Purke's velocity is in the 80's again like last week, that wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

pphilfran
6/1/2011, 06:35 PM
Anything can happen in baseball...

They could start swinging the bat and have the ball develop eyes and they could win the whole enchilada...

Or they could be gone in two...

IndySooner
6/2/2011, 08:33 AM

They could start swinging the bat and have the ball develop eyes and they could win the whole enchilada...

VERY, very true.

No one knew that Kung Fu Panda was going to become Superman last post-season.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

The ball developing eyes is the biggest part of your post. This team just hasn't caught any breaks this year at all. They're due!

rysooner
6/2/2011, 10:53 AM

As Sunny would say, the ball needs to find grass and not leather so we can find victory.