PDA

View Full Version : 10 Most Corrupt Programs In the NCAA....

Sabanball
5/29/2011, 07:31 PM
...according to this publication. Give it time, and I predict Auburn will take the no. 1 spot.....

http://www.ncaagridirongab.com/2011/03/09/10-most-corrupt-ncaa-athletic-programs/

SoonerofAlabama
5/29/2011, 07:33 PM
One list I don't like seeing Oklahoma in the top 10 of.

Widescreen
5/29/2011, 11:35 PM
uh, why would you post that here? We don't really care about auburn. Yet there we are too. This thread would be perfect for tidefans, though.

King Crimson
5/30/2011, 12:41 AM
"garnered the reputation of..."...that is some kind of proof?

that shizz doesn't even bat an eye today.

texaspokieokie
5/30/2011, 08:03 AM
article said Switzer took over program already on probation. don't think that's true.

bigfatjerk
5/30/2011, 08:41 AM
article said Switzer took over program already on probation. don't think that's true.

It was.

texaspokieokie
5/30/2011, 08:56 AM
It was.

Right you are !!!

SoonerofAlabama
5/30/2011, 09:42 AM
I didn't like reading it. It seems that those violations in football can find just a few people responsible. Bomar, Charles Thompson

3rdgensooner
5/30/2011, 09:55 AM
I'm not sure I care what that Big 10 site has to say.

Jacie
5/30/2011, 11:04 AM

I guess the name Kerry Jackson doesn't mean anything to you then.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/30/2011, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure I care what that Big 10 site has to say.Guess I won't even read that thing, then. Thanks for posting it, Sabanball. haha

FaninAma
5/30/2011, 12:53 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_Sooners_football#Switzer_era_.281973.E2.8 0.931989.29

Didn't that happen in '72 and resulted in the Sooners being on probation in '73 and '74? If so that happened before Switzer was head coach. I might be wrong about that, though.

bigfatjerk
5/30/2011, 12:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_Sooners_football#Switzer_era_.281973.E2.8 0.931989.29

Didn't that happen in '72 and resulted in the Sooners being on probation in '73 and '74? If so that happened before Switzer was head coach. I might be wrong about that, though.

We were still on probation when Switzer got here. Wasn't his fault. We were also on probation in the 50s but it was mostly minor stuff. 80s we got nailed on probation. And then the Bomar thing. I think that pretty much sums up the NCAA football issues. Maybe I'm missing something.

Soonermagik
5/30/2011, 03:21 PM
No USC??????

MyT Oklahoma
5/30/2011, 04:17 PM
We were not on probation when Switzer took over. We got hit for Kerry Jackson and Mike Phillips right after Barry took over. Afterwards not before.

Sooner_Tuf
5/30/2011, 05:46 PM
I remember the press conference like it was yesterday. It was in April, Switzer had been named Head Coach a few months earlier. Fairbanks left for the Patriots after the Bowl Game.

The transgressions took place under Fairbanks but it was never determined who actually committed them. OU blamed the High School for altering their transcripts and the High School blamed OU for doing so.

I have no idea what the truth of the matter was. I always thought it odd that the High School provided OU with incomplete transcripts knowingly. By the time they were caught the rules had changed and those players would have been eligible.

Switzer got the black eye but he really didn't deserve it.

SoonerofAlabama
5/31/2011, 09:03 AM
How much longer do you think Switzer could have gone on?

70sooner
5/31/2011, 09:11 AM
I remember the press conference like it was yesterday. It was in April, Switzer had been named Head Coach a few months earlier. Fairbanks left for the Patriots after the Bowl Game.

The transgressions took place under Fairbanks but it was never determined who actually committed them. OU blamed the High School for altering their transcripts and the High School blamed OU for doing so.

I have no idea what the truth of the matter was. I always thought it odd that the High School provided OU with incomplete transcripts knowingly. By the time they were caught the rules had changed and those players would have been eligible.

Switzer got the black eye but he really didn't deserve it.

if I remember correctly, the high school principal and an OU asst coach were involved in the transcript mess. I don't believe Barrry knew anything about it.

Sooner_Tuf
5/31/2011, 09:39 AM
if I remember correctly, the high school principal and an OU asst coach were involved in the transcript mess. I don't believe Barrry knew anything about it.

Back then a student had to have a certain class rank or higher to eligible for a scholarship. I always thought since just about every big football school in the nation was recruiting those guys the school must have done it.

A couple of months before the scandal the NCAA changed the rules where athletes had to have a 2.0 average to be eligible. Which they both did.

Unless evidence to the contrary comes to light I will go to my grave believing Darrel Royal was the one that turned OU in and raised hell something be done. He was visibly upset that OU had outrecruited him for players he wanted.

The OU coach was named Michaels if I remember correctly. Like everyone involved he claimed to be as surprised as everyone else.

Switzer was an ornery kind of guy but I think overall he tried to stick to the rules. He didn't mind pushing them and maybe some exist because of him. Whether you love him or hate him the truth of the matter is/was that he is great guy and a fantastic coach.

Sooner_Tuf
5/31/2011, 09:40 AM
How much longer do you think Switzer could have gone on?

As a rule when you are fired you are done. I don't understand what you are asking.

King Crimson
5/31/2011, 09:56 AM
the amazing thing about the Switzer forced resignation to me, is that we are allowed to hire from within the existing staff.

that sure as heck ain't happening today.

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 10:54 AM

sure, i remember KJ & the other kid from the high school in south (kinda) tx.
got their grades changed so kj could get into OU. funny thing, the other kid was OK, but his were changed also.

that was 72, but i didn't think OU was caught & put on probation till later in 73. after Switzer was hired.

as i noted above, i was wrong.

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 11:05 AM
Back then a student had to have a certain class rank or higher to eligible for a scholarship. I always thought since just about every big football school in the nation was recruiting those guys the school must have done it.

A couple of months before the scandal the NCAA changed the rules where athletes had to have a 2.0 average to be eligible. Which they both did.

Unless evidence to the contrary comes to light I will go to my grave believing Darrel Royal was the one that turned OU in and raised hell something be done. He was visibly upset that OU had outrecruited him for players he wanted.

The OU coach was named Michaels if I remember correctly. Like everyone involved he claimed to be as surprised as everyone else.

Switzer was an ornery kind of guy but I think overall he tried to stick to the rules. He didn't mind pushing them and maybe some exist because of him. Whether you love him or hate him the truth of the matter is/was that he is great guy and a fantastic coach.

the hi school had to make the changes. as i remember it, the hi school coach or teacher (or both) that actually got the grades changed was osu alumni.

Bill Michaels took the fall (took one for the team) but i gotta believe he wasn't the only one involved.

from what i remember reading (probly in the DMN or (defunct) DTH, everybody knew Jackson's grades would keep him outta major colleges, so all were shocked when OU signed him. it coulda been Royal, or it coulda been any number of folks.

70sooner
5/31/2011, 12:01 PM

this!~

Dio
5/31/2011, 04:11 PM
If only we could run a clean program, like USC or tOSU.

If only...

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 05:24 PM
If only we could run a clean program, like USC or tOSU.

If only...

what is that they say about those who live in glass houses ??

prrriiide
5/31/2011, 05:25 PM
The other thing is that this tool of an author uses side issues (shooting, rape, robbery, CT), all of which are BAD THINGS, but don't mean the program or the institution is intrinsically corrupt. See also Baylor basketball. Just because these stupid kids committed crimes THAT ARE COMMITTED EVERY DAY ALL OVER THE US, does not mean that the program is corrupt.

Also, wasn't the personal check from The King a loan so a player could travel home for a family funeral, and was re-paid? I know I had a couple of music profs at OU that would have done that for me if I had no other recourse. Does that mean the college of fine arts would be denied a Christmas concert if it came to light?

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 05:28 PM
yep, but the baylor coach (dave bliss) went to great & crooked lengths to
cover up (well, that was impossible)the murder. tried to get kids to lie about dead kid & make him look really bad.

wishbonesooner
5/31/2011, 05:34 PM
Switzer also got reprimanded for buying a kid a coat, the kid didnt have the money for a winter coat. Yeah he was a real desperado.

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 05:38 PM
Switzer admitted giving (or loaning) money to Billy Sims to keep him @ OU for another season.

Sooner_Tuf
5/31/2011, 06:07 PM
Switzer admitted giving (or loaning) money to Billy Sims to keep him @ OU for another season.

Hell I would have done that :D

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 06:13 PM
who wouldn't ??

none of us are perfect.

Wayne Jarvis
6/1/2011, 12:19 PM

It was or was getting ready to be. When asked about it, Switzer famously said "It's better than being at Kansas State where it's like you're on probation permanently"