PDA

View Full Version : Epic fail on the final turn of the Indy 500

lexsooner
5/29/2011, 02:28 PM
OK, I know this is not the sports board, but did anyone see the finish of the Indy 500? Geez, I feel terrible for that Hildebrand rookie. He was way ahead on the final turn of the biggest racing event in the world and he smashed into the wall and ended up second. Ouch!

SoonerNate
5/29/2011, 02:29 PM
So sad. That poor kid has feel awful.

yermom
5/29/2011, 02:44 PM
at least he's not dead?

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 02:52 PM
i was watching with my Son and his friend and they were like "How many more laps are there" "Ummm...30"..."Oh"....

Then at the end....."THAT WAS TEH MOST AWESOME RACE EVER ! ! ! "

I then asked them the name of the race which I had told them about since lap 100...

They just looked at each other like you tell him....no you.....

LMAO....

They are funny as hell....

Breadburner
5/29/2011, 03:08 PM
Rookie mistake.....

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 03:12 PM
Rookie mistake.....

Like the Pit Boss said....

"He'll think about the turn 4 for a long time..."

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 03:15 PM
Hot Wheels jump time at Indy

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 03:16 PM
THAT WAS AWESOME ! ! !

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 03:17 PM
332 Feet!

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 03:18 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/05/hwjump1lo-1306694616.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/29/tanner-foust-completes-record-setting-team-hot-wheels-jump-at-in/

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 03:20 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/05/hwjump2.jpg

Jacie
5/29/2011, 03:53 PM
Not so fast my friend. Seems Hildebrand is challenging the race results citing the rule that as soon as he wrecked, the race was under a yellow flag and the field would be frozen at that moment. Race officials are considering his protest so while unlikely, it is not inconceivable that a new winner will be declared.

Speaking of fail, what happened to Franchitti? He was running second towards the end and finished 12th.

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 03:55 PM
OMG.....lol

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 04:00 PM
So now once you are in the lead on the last lap....turn it into the wall instead of race for the Checkered Flag....lol

royalfan5
5/29/2011, 04:06 PM
Not so fast my friend. Seems Hildebrand is challenging the race results citing the rule that as soon as he wrecked, the race was under a yellow flag and the field would be frozen at that moment. Race officials are considering his protest so while unlikely, it is not inconceivable that a new winner will be declared.

Speaking of fail, what happened to Franchitti? He was running second towards the end and finished 12th.

I'd hope they have a back-up rule where you can't benefit from your own caution.

GrapevineSooner
5/29/2011, 04:14 PM

I don't think he'll be successful with that endeavor simply because the video evidence shows that that after Wheldon passed him on the front stretch, the caution light was still under green.

A caution isn't thrown the moment a wreck happens. It's officially thrown the moment that light changes from green to yellow.

lexsooner
5/29/2011, 06:20 PM
Interesting. If this was NASCAR, they would have had a phony yellow flag caution near the end for imaginary debris. NASCAR reminds me of pro wrasslin in a lot of ways, where someone outside the ring interferes to take away a sure victory.

lexsooner
5/29/2011, 06:30 PM

The appeal was denied, so Hildebrand finished second. Poor guy. I'm not sure what happened to Franchitti. The announcers kept saying his slow speeds were due to his concerted attempts to conserve fuel, but clearly that was not the case. His car ran slow towards the end and he got passed over and over again.

King Crimson
5/29/2011, 06:35 PM
NASCAR reminds me of pro wrasslin in a lot of ways, where someone outside the ring interferes to take away a sure victory.

two totally different demographics....i mean, oh wait....just the same?

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 07:28 PM
I just like how Danika calls me Daddy....

Penguin
5/29/2011, 07:50 PM
Wait a minute. This isn't a sports board! :mad:

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 07:54 PM
Yeah and Danika ain't a cheerleader.

Breadburner
5/30/2011, 01:06 PM
Dani**** cant drive her way out of a wet paper bag......

pphilfran
5/30/2011, 03:06 PM
Bad day in racing if you are a JR

J.R. wrecks at Indy on the last lap...

Jr runs out of gas on the last lap...

BudSooner
5/30/2011, 04:37 PM
Funny thing is that both drivers who were leading both at Indy AND Charlotte were sponsored by the National Guard.... one with the name Jr and the other named J.R. Weird huh?

lexsooner
5/30/2011, 04:50 PM
Funny thing is that both drivers who were leading both at Indy AND Charlotte were sponsored by the National Guard.... one with the name Jr and the other named J.R. Weird huh?

That's where the similarities end. One is a rookie with a promising future who made a rookie mistake. The other is an overrated veteran without a promising future who appears cursed.

BudSooner
5/30/2011, 06:58 PM
That's where the similarities end. One is a rookie with a promising future who made a rookie mistake. The other is an overrated veteran without a promising future who appears cursed.

But Dale Jr could never ever win another race and stay wealthy, how many drivers can say that.

lexsooner
5/30/2011, 07:17 PM
But Dale Jr could never ever win another race and stay wealthy, how many drivers can say that.

True, but that's only because of his name. They love him because of his Dad, but he is way overhyped. He's good enough to be competitive, but I don't place him among the very best racers in NASCAR like Johnson, Kyle, Hamlin, etc.

MeMyself&Me
5/30/2011, 09:14 PM

I'd also say the rookie simply lost focus while the other made a calculated risk that gave him is only shot that didn't pan out. The rookie will likely remember this loss the rest of his life with regret and the other will have forgotten about his loss in a year or two. These two incidents are not that similar really. I watched both races and thought the Indy finish was just heart breaking but the Cola 600 was just another race.

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 08:41 AM
i kinda figured why i've gotten to be more of a nascar fan than indy cars.

hard for me (with my tired old eyes & memory) to tell who's who in the 500.
cars don't have any space to put a large number, like on nascar. only car i could teel for sure was DP, whose's car was a reaLLY BRIGHT CHARTREUSSE.

FOR MOST OF THE 500, THEY SHOWED IN BOTTOM LEFT CORNER THE CARS IN 1ST TO 5TH POSITIONS. they turned it off during the last few laps &
it was hard to tell who was where.

after the 500 was over, i never saw where anyone finished, except for the top 5 (or so) maybe i just missed it.

i feel, overall, the tv production is just much better for nascar. i do dislike the phoney rules, like 3 extra finishes. i feel the race should end after the predetermined no. of laps has been run.

another thing about nascar, most of the drivers are from US & have become familiar names.

600 miles is too long.

i thot the 500 was dull. JMHO

i wish Paul Newman was still around to tell us what he thot about the "merger".

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 08:44 AM
one of few times i've ever seen a guy crash, destroying his car, & still finish second. better to crash on four than one.

i do remember in the 1985 race (i think) that danny sullivan did a 360
degree spin-out & still win the race.

GrapevineSooner
5/31/2011, 10:11 AM
i do dislike the phoney rules, like 3 extra finishes. i feel the race should end after the predetermined no. of laps has been run.

Ironically, the green-white-checker finish came about because of what happened in the 2004 Aaron's 499 at Talladega in which Junior was racing Jeff Gordon for the lead in...and appeared to have passed the 24 with 4 laps remaining.

Unfortunately, a Brian Vickers spin brought out the caution and Nascar went to the last scoring loop on the track before the caution came out, and it showed Gordon as the leader.

And that race finished under caution with Gordon winning.

OhU1
5/31/2011, 10:15 AM
Where did Ricky Bobby place?

BudSooner
5/31/2011, 01:08 PM
Ironically, the green-white-checker finish came about because of what happened in the 2004 Aaron's 499 at Talladega in which Junior was racing Jeff Gordon for the lead in...and appeared to have passed the 24 with 4 laps remaining.

Unfortunately, a Brian Vickers spin brought out the caution and Nascar went to the last scoring loop on the track before the caution came out, and it showed Gordon as the leader.

And that race finished under caution with Gordon winning.

Actually it was at Dover when Dale Jarrett spun coming out of turn 2 he had the entire field coming at him...pretty bad place to spin because the horse track is is elevated it makes it damn tough for even the spotters to see that area.

ouleaf
5/31/2011, 03:44 PM
If you see the in car camera view of the Indy 500 crash, you can see pretty clearly where the tires slip on him for just a fraction of a second while in turn 4 and he was already so close to the wall, the crash was almost inevitable.

Combination of driver error and worn tires that cost him the race.

achiro
5/31/2011, 04:14 PM

He's 4th in the points right now so he must be doing something right.

StoopTroup
5/31/2011, 04:31 PM

She's been in the lead at Indy the last two years.... think she needs to find someone to get her a dialed in car and a statistician that knows what he's doing and then she might pull off a win

JLEW1818
5/31/2011, 04:31 PM
great race, great finish

i watched all 200 laps

Eielson
5/31/2011, 04:36 PM

Who drives out of wet paper bags?

:confused:

OutlandTrophy
5/31/2011, 04:49 PM
not Danika Patrick, that's for sure!

texaspokieokie
5/31/2011, 05:06 PM
Who drives out of wet paper bags?

:confused:

where do you find a wet paper bag big enuff to drive into ????

lexsooner
5/31/2011, 05:49 PM
Where did Ricky Bobby place?

Dead last. A Jr. fan was afraid Ricky would win, so he threw an RC cola can onto the track and it was ingested into Ricky's engine.

lexsooner
5/31/2011, 05:56 PM

I dunno, I admit she gets much more attention than normal because she is an attractive female, but she is talented enough to be competitive, and if she had more practice and experience in NASCAR she would be about as good as most drivers.

Danica v. Junior? I don't know who is more talented. It's pretty close. Somehow I just don't see Junior winning in an Indy car. He still makes mistakes driving in NASCAR and the margin for error is probably narrower in Indy driving. I have visions of Junior crashing even more in Indy cars. F1? No way. He would never make it onto the top circuit.

sooner ngintunr
5/31/2011, 08:11 PM
Danica would drive circles around JR in a real race car on a road course. Plenty of people you've never heard of would. Remember when JR crashed that Vette @ Sonoma and nearly burnt to death? Dude is horrible when it comes to race craft.

His fans will claim he was never the same after that. Whateves, he's always sucked.

If Hildebrand would have had clean track, he wouldn't have crashed. Lap traffic is part of racing though.

lexsooner
5/31/2011, 08:41 PM
Danica would drive circles around JR in a real race car on a road course. Plenty of people you've never heard of would. Remember when JR crashed that Vette @ Sonoma and nearly burnt to death? Dude is horrible when it comes to race craft.

His fans will claim he was never the same after that. Whateves, he's always sucked.

If Hildebrand would have had clean track, he wouldn't have crashed. Lap traffic is part of racing though.

Yeah, you're probably right. Junior makes too many driving mistakes. In an Indy or F1 racer, he would be in an ambulance. Can you see Junior in an F1 racer on a road course? Those things are terribly hard to drive and require the very best skills to maneuver on a difficult twisting road course. Junior's car would be in bits, or he would miss a shift and crack the engine. He is and will continue to be rich as a NASCAR fan favorite nice guy who never or rarely ever wins.

OhU1
5/31/2011, 09:27 PM
Yeah, you're probably right. Junior makes too many driving mistakes. In an Indy or F1 racer, he would be in an ambulance. Can you see Junior in an F1 racer on a road course? Those things are terribly hard to drive and require the very best skills to maneuver on a difficult twisting road course. Junior's car would be in bits, or he would miss a shift and crack the engine. He is and will continue to be rich as a NASCAR fan favorite nice guy who never or rarely ever wins.

Sebastian Loeb of WRC (World Rally Championship) has to be one of the best racers in the world. WRC drivers have to race over ice, snow, gravel, mud, jumps, and twisty dirt roads. It's a different kind of racing but much more entertaining IMO.

bluedogok
5/31/2011, 09:58 PM
Loeb has been in one of the factory Peugeot LMP cars for the past few 24 Hours of LeMans. He has dominated World Rally for many years.