PDA

View Full Version : first song that turned you on to music

King Crimson
5/29/2011, 03:11 AM
i was lucky in a way, my parents were young for my age group....they listened to the Beatles, Ray Charles, James Brown...my parents saw the Godfather of Soul at the OKC Fairgrounds in the late 60's...they counted themselves as about 10 white people there.

and i grew up with all that...Sly and the Fam Stone, Beatles Help!, Stones Flowers, and Neil Young Harvest....they weren't listening to Freddy Fender or some shizz.

but really the song that turned me onto music *on my own* was the Who: Bargain. i remember hearing that on the radio....and just going "hell ****ing yeah".

yermom
5/29/2011, 03:17 AM
"on my own"?

i think it might have been Def Leppard - Photograph on Headbanger's Ball. later hearing Riki Ractman talk about being forced to play Def Leppard it's a little embarrassing :O

in the car, my mom always listened to KRAV (96.5 in Tulsa) and i kinda grew up with stuff like Chicago, The Eagles, Eddie Rabbit, Christopher Cross, Fleetwood Mac, Hall and Oates, etc...

SoonerBread
5/29/2011, 03:18 AM
Parents' influence - "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" by Genesis.

"on my own" - Have a Cigar by Pink Floyd

GKeeper316
5/29/2011, 03:20 AM
round and round by ratt.

honest. thats the song that got me playing drums.

Blue
5/29/2011, 03:23 AM
round and round by tevin campell. ;)

King Crimson
5/29/2011, 03:25 AM
round and round was a great tune....among the better hair metal tunes.

yermom
5/29/2011, 03:27 AM
i had hot teenage daughters of my mom's friends that introduced me to the Ratts and Bon Jovis of the world

King Crimson
5/29/2011, 03:30 AM
i had hot teenage daughters of my mom's friends that introduced me to the Ratts and Bon Jovi's of the world

i've done my hair metal concession so far. bargain was 10 years old the first time i heard it.

hot teenage daughters of my mom's friends is prolly not something you want to google.

King Crimson
5/29/2011, 03:32 AM
on the drvin and cryin thing:

i always liked this one from their first LP...

WktN2qdvPLQ

olevetonahill
5/29/2011, 04:14 AM
what can I say
_qnXPlqhIf0

Mongo
5/29/2011, 05:10 AM
I remember pops jamming out to Van Halen's "jump". first recollection of music, and I liked it

pphilfran
5/29/2011, 05:48 AM
WwLdyIdY6U8

C&CDean
5/29/2011, 08:14 AM
Dang, y'all are babies. My dad never rocked out to anything. K-HOSS was his deal back in the early 60's. Hank Williams, Marty Robbins, etc. I like mom's music better. She played Herb Alpert, Dean Martin, Sinatra, etc.

On my own? The Beatles "Please Please Me" album. I Saw Her Standing There, Love Me Do, Do You Wanna Know a Secret, Twist and Shout. All greatness.

When I started to get my stoner on, I moved on to Creedence, Zeppelin, Grand Funk, Deep Purple, Allman Bros., early Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon was one of the best concerts I've ever seen), Alice Cooper, Blood Sweat & Tears, Rare Earth, etc.

I've never owned a Rolling Stone album in my entire life though. They've never done it for me.

texaspokieokie
5/29/2011, 08:22 AM
My parents would've been 100 (Mom) & 115(Dad)this year.
they probly liked Big Band" stuff. i really don't remember. They've been gone for over 30 yrs.

first music heard was probly "rock-a-bye baby".

texaspokieokie
5/29/2011, 08:23 AM
Herb Alpert had some really good stuff.

JohnnyMack
5/29/2011, 08:28 AM
My older sister brought home Duran Duran's Seven and the Ragged Tiger when I was 8. That was the first time I remember being wowed by music. My dad never did (and still doesn't) listen to much music. My mom was more of an Anne Murray and Little River Band fan. So I'll go with The Reflex.

C&CDean
5/29/2011, 08:30 AM
My older sister brought home Duran Duran's Seven and the Ragged Tiger when I was 8. That was the first time I remember being wowed by music. My dad never did (and still doesn't) listen to much music. My mom was more of an Anne Murray and Little River Band fan. So I'll go with The Reflex.

Duran Duran? This explains soooooooo much.

pphilfran
5/29/2011, 08:32 AM
Dang, y'all are babies. My dad never rocked out to anything. K-HOSS was his deal back in the early 60's. Hank Williams, Marty Robbins, etc. I like mom's music better. She played Herb Alpert, Dean Martin, Sinatra, etc.

On my own? The Beatles "Please Please Me" album. I Saw Her Standing There, Love Me Do, Do You Wanna Know a Secret, Twist and Shout. All greatness.

When I started to get my stoner on, I moved on to Creedence, Zeppelin, Grand Funk, Deep Purple, Allman Bros., early Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon was one of the best concerts I've ever seen), Alice Cooper, Blood Sweat & Tears, Rare Earth, etc.

I've never owned a Rolling Stone album in my entire life though. They've never done it for me.

My parents listened to Herb Alpert...big sis listened to the early Beatles...I guess even at an early age those early Beatles weren't heavy enough for me...Steppenwolf was my early favorite...also Ten Years After...

C&CDean
5/29/2011, 08:34 AM
Ten. Years. Afftaahhh!! I saw them somewhere (stoner days). Alvin Lee was in his prime. Goin' Home is still one of my favorite tunes. It should be on dude's drive to Canada list for sure.

JohnnyMack
5/29/2011, 08:38 AM
Duran Duran? This explains soooooooo much.

Hell you're so old you remember when JS Bach's Sonata in D Major was all the rage.

pphilfran
5/29/2011, 08:38 AM
My first concert was Paul Revere and the Raiders...in Lawton...musta been bout 1967 or 68...

OUHOMER
5/29/2011, 08:48 AM
U-lF10HMjdw

Dont know why, but i just remember this as a favorite when i was a kid

OUHOMER
5/29/2011, 08:51 AM
Also PzmRxs-4GeI

pphilfran
5/29/2011, 08:54 AM
No problem...always willing to help out a fellow rocker...

Listen to The Ventures?

C&CDean
5/29/2011, 09:00 AM
No problem...always willing to help out a fellow rocker...

Listen to The Ventures?

hee heee heee heee...Wipeout!!

King Crimson
5/29/2011, 09:34 AM

what happened to the Velvets period you used to talk about? eh? :texan:

i would not say DSoM is really "early" PF....usually when you say that it means stuff with Syd. Saucer, Piper at the Gates...etc. Bicycle. Intersellar Overdrive.

for a stoner like yourself, that "early" Alice Cooper stuff when they were a band (is it my body, under my wheels, 18, etc)....that was some good, dirty Detroit guitar rock.

VNRrRFe11eg

HhI_khA8w-I&feature=related

delhalew
5/29/2011, 09:45 AM
From the time I was old enough to have memories, I remember sitting with my dad while he played albums. It starts at about 2 years old.

Zeppelin, Beatles, Stones, Queen, Black Oak Arkansas, Bowie, Little River Band, Harold Melvin, Stevie Wonder, and Steely Dan.

I'll never be able to thank him enough for that.

On my own, Van Halen 1984 and ZZtop.

delhalew
5/29/2011, 09:47 AM

i would not say DSoM is really "early" PF....usually when you say that it means stuff with Syd. Saucer, Piper at the Gates...etc. Bicycle. Intersellar Overdrive.

for a stoner like yourself, that "early" Alice Cooper stuff when they were a band (is it my body, under my wheels, 18, etc)....that was some good, dirty Detroit guitar rock.

VNRrRFe11eg

My dad was a stoner when I was little. Lots of Alice Cooper.

Flagstaffsooner
5/29/2011, 11:35 AM
Local stuff
rMbATaj7Il8

Sooner_Tuf
5/29/2011, 12:05 PM
OKLAHOMA! where the wind comes sweeping down the plain.

That or maybe Puff the Magic Dragon. Hell I don't remember.

hawaii 5-0
5/29/2011, 12:10 PM
Possibly it was Lonnie Donegan's version of Rock Island Line.

It was pre-Elvis

5-0

Trump/ Bachman's mascara 2012

2121Sooner
5/29/2011, 12:16 PM
September - Earth, Wind, and Fire

C&CDean
5/29/2011, 12:38 PM

VNRrRFe11eg

Yeah, I can never forget about Lou Reed and the VU. I also listened to a lot of Zappa/Cheech & Chong in my early teen years. My first exposure to Pink Floyd was the song Echoes while I was on acid. Weird **** man.

Also, I've seen Alice Cooper on their Killer and Billion Dollar Babies tours. Out ****ing standing R&R/stage show. Saw David Bowie in Memphis with Mick Ronson. The whole Ziggy Stardust deal. Another killer show.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/29/2011, 12:54 PM
s_pDTaRRR-w

yankee
5/29/2011, 01:27 PM
N'Sync- Bye Bye Bye

SoonerNate
5/29/2011, 02:15 PM
toP4UtQZiw8

Pricetag
5/29/2011, 02:37 PM
1984 was my first grown-up album, too. I got it for my tenth birthday, along with a t-shirt from the tour that summer.

My mom's friend watched us after school, and they had kids who were ten or so years older than us, so what they listened to defined "cool." I remember listening to Billy Joel's Glass Houses over and over, Billy Squier's "The Stroke," and Pat Benetar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot."

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 02:57 PM
With out mentioning anything my Parent's might have listened to....one of the first songs I though was cool...besides the Beatles was....

rKaQzQAlNn4

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 02:58 PM
oqeSUAlI5uI

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 02:59 PM
KqZ95a249p0&feature=fvwrel

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 03:01 PM
qFhM1XZsh6o

delhalew
5/29/2011, 03:07 PM
Ahh hell. I forgot about the Doobie Brothers.

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 03:15 PM
Bachman-Turner Over-drive, Blue Oyster Cult....

King Crimson
5/29/2011, 03:51 PM
Also, I've seen Alice Cooper on their Killer and Billion Dollar Babies tours. Out ****ing standing R&R/stage show. Saw David Bowie in Memphis with Mick Ronson. The whole Ziggy Stardust deal. Another killer show.

pretty jealous there. i love Mick Ronson. really underrated rock guitarist.

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 04:02 PM
Do you feel.....

Like i do......

Flagstaffsooner
5/29/2011, 04:22 PM
qFhM1XZsh6o

Not even the best Mountain...
HIrLXQ0JIy0&feature=fvst

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 10:13 PM
I think some of those got me interested in some of these type bands later on....

5RPrj0bp0NA

8CPE9kMhIvE&feature=fvst

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 10:22 PM
And then you had these guys...

XFkzRNyygfk

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 10:25 PM
Then these Dudes....lol

cJrgBxNQvnA
AAW8NJa2sjE&feature=related

SanJoaquinSooner
5/29/2011, 10:36 PM
Well if we're going for the greatest Mountain tune, let's get it right...

Theme to an Imaginary Western

mTwtSiOXlyg&

hawaii 5-0
5/29/2011, 11:25 PM
Do you feel.....

Like i do......

Frampton was in Hawaii this Winter. Think of Frampton Comes Alive with 30 more years of practice. OK, so he's a little balder and pudgier. His son came out and did a coupla numbers with Dad.

5-0

Trump/ Loser 2012

Jammin'
5/29/2011, 11:36 PM
Uncle and aunt gave me a tape one Xmas with Beatles revolver on one side and some of the deads shakedown st on the other.

picasso
5/29/2011, 11:45 PM
My brother was 11 years older than me. He had tunes ranging from Pure Prairie League to George Benson.

Okieflyer
5/29/2011, 11:45 PM
HQZQXFZpTmQ

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 11:53 PM
Frampton was in Hawaii this Winter. Think of Frampton Comes Alive with 30 more years of practice. OK, so he's a little balder and pudgier. His son came out and did a coupla numbers with Dad.

5-0

Trump/ Loser 2012

Yeah I saw a PBS Concert he did where he talks about then and the last 30 years....he really seems to have it together and enjoying playing....

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 11:58 PM
8e71N7EhaGA

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/30/2011, 01:16 AM
From the time I was old enough to have memories, I remember sitting with my dad while he played albums. It starts at about 2 years old.

Zeppelin, Beatles, Stones, Queen, Black Oak Arkansas, Bowie, Little River Band, Harold Melvin, Stevie Wonder, and Steely Dan.

I'll never be able to thank him enough for that.

On my own, Van Halen 1984 and ZZtop.My mom was always a lot more of a music fan than dad, and I remember her liking Jo Stafford, Eddie Fisher, Frankie Laine, Perry Como, Theresa Brewer, etc. I first remember being really into Bill Haley, Harry Belafonte, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Pat Boone, Ricky Nelson, Buddy Holly, and of course, Elvis.

StoopTroup
5/30/2011, 01:25 AM
Jpg-KIKD5gU

King Crimson
5/30/2011, 02:14 AM
i would add these, as well. in addition to Bargain.

q2HPctjQZTw

WH6UnvSlahc

tempted to put the Huskers version here, as well.

oumartin
5/30/2011, 02:26 AM
Kinda tough to answer, I can remember my mom playing an 8 track in the car that had Summer Breeze and Saturday Nights All right for fighting on it. I loved Saturday Nights. She also gave me some of her 45's to play. Elvis Presleys Viva las vegas and others I can no longer recall. I played the heck outta Viva Las Vegas. She also had The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour and Sargent Peppers that I quickly took a liking too.

Probably have to say her giving me those 45's is what did it.

I also recall hearing the sound of my fathers bong and the songs of Tuthro Tull playing.

MsProudSooner2
5/30/2011, 10:23 AM
My Mom will be 87 next week. She graduated from high school in 1942. I inherited a love of Big Band music from my parents - Glenn Miller in particular.

When I was a little girl, my parents would listen to The Hit Parade and dance in the living room to the songs they liked best. That gave me a love of the popular music of the 1950's.

When my Dad traveled he liked to listen to popular music on the radio and bring me popular 45's as a gift when he returned. The first song I discovered on my own was probably something by Buddy Holly. Peggy Sue or That'll Be the Day. The first LPs I bought were Buddy Holly's Greatest Hits, Bobby Vee's Greatest Hits and The Everly Brothers Greatest Hits.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/30/2011, 12:20 PM
My Mom will be 87 next week. She graduated from high school in 1942. I inherited a love of Big Band music from my parents - Glenn Miller in particular.

When I was a little girl, my parents would listen to The Hit Parade and dance in the living room to the songs they liked best. That gave me a love of the popular music of the 1950's.

When my Dad traveled he liked to listen to popular music on the radio and bring me popular 45's as a gift when he returned. The first song I discovered on my own was probably something by Buddy Holly. Peggy Sue or That'll Be the Day. The first LPs I bought were Buddy Holly's Greatest Hits, Bobby Vee's Greatest Hits and The Everly Brothers Greatest Hits.My dad died in '04. He would be 87 if still alive. Mom died long ago.

Buddy Holly was my fave music back in '57-59, until his death in the flight in Iowa. Buddy had some great songs, as did the Everly Bros. The original Kingston Trio with Dave Guard was kicka*s too.