PDA

View Full Version : The Call

Sooner11JK
5/27/2011, 11:43 PM
Here is a link to the News9 video of the play. How this guy could possibly even think that TO didn't touch the plate is beyond me. He obviously didn't see it. If you don't see it you cannot make the call. I thought it was an awful call seeing it live, the replay is far worse. Judge for yourself.

http://www.okblitz.com/Article.aspx?id=38731

kevpks
5/27/2011, 11:52 PM
He brushed the entire plate with his foot. It's not even close.

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 12:29 AM
He definitely touched.

setem
5/28/2011, 12:30 AM
Not even a brush he drug his foot all the way across the son of a bitch! TERRIBLE CALL!

colinreturn
5/28/2011, 02:32 AM
I can't even think of a reason why he would not have given ogle the force in that situation. It was so obvious.

SoonerNate
5/28/2011, 02:40 AM
I can't keep watching that it just pisses me off too much.

boomersooner28
5/28/2011, 07:25 AM
THAT is an unbelievable call to me. Wow. I could understand if the catcher doesn't even attempt to touch the plate, but he CLEARLY drug his entire foot across the damn plate. This may need some investigation.

thurman murman
5/28/2011, 08:39 AM
horse****.

NMSooner'80
5/28/2011, 08:41 AM
I kind of hope that Sunny unloads on that turkey in a presser, except he'd probably get suspended for a game next season by the Big 12. Either way, it might be worth it.

hvhurricane
5/28/2011, 12:55 PM
That call was just absurd. Did he ask for help on the call at all or did he turn a Homolka and make it all about himself?

BlackwellSooner
5/28/2011, 04:05 PM
That call was just absurd. Did he ask for help on the call at all or did he turn a Homolka and make it all about himself?

See for yourself: http://www.okblitz.com/Article.aspx?id=38731

He was standing right there, watched Ogle drag his foot across the plate, and STILL disallowed the double play!

In answer to your question, no he didn't ask for help, although he obviously SHOULD HAVE!!!

tulsaoilerfan
5/28/2011, 07:10 PM
Wow

Sooner95
5/28/2011, 07:39 PM
It was bad, even the KSU announcers (listening on Sirius) thought he had touched the plate as well.

oldtimer
5/28/2011, 08:31 PM
The home plate call by Umpire Mike Morris during the OU-Kansas State game was just horrible. I was at the game and not one person around me or the thousands of fans who booed Morris could believe he missed the catcher touching home plate. The video is clear evidence our eyes did not deceive us. Umpire Morris missed not only this call to decide a critical game but also made a bad call at first to affect the OSU-Missouri game as well. Yes, the first base call was bang-bang and umpires can make mistakes. The home plate call was unforgiveable and further evidence that Morris should not be umpiring big format games in the future.

I felt strongly enough to complain to the Big 12 umpire guru Rich Fetchiet - his email address is [email protected]. Here's your chance to make sure he hears from others as well.

MsProudSooner2
5/28/2011, 09:14 PM
The umpire didn't appear to even glance down at the plate. Time for him to go back to t-ball.

StoopTroup
5/28/2011, 09:36 PM
Bad as it gets

SoonerNate
5/28/2011, 09:40 PM
The umpire didn't appear to even glance down at the plate. Time for him to go back to t-ball.

At the expense of sounding like I'm trolling, I'd like to see him flogged.

Collier11
5/28/2011, 09:44 PM
If you dont see it you certainly dont call it safe, you either ask for help or call it out. That is unacceptable

BlackwellSooner
5/29/2011, 11:47 AM
My email to Rich Fetchiet:

This email is to express my feelings toward the unbelievably poor call in the Oklahoma vs Kansas State baseball game. If you go frame by frame, it is obvious that the OU catcher dragged his foot across home plate, then threw to first for the double play. It was obvious in live action, let alone in slow-motion! But Morris disallowed the double play, claiming that the catcher did not touch home plate! Morris’ action resulted in a Kansas State run scoring on the play, which would not have happened had he allowed the inning-ending double play. The final score of the game was K-State 4, Oklahoma 3. Without the call, the game would have likely gone to extra innings. Maybe Oklahoma would have STILL lost, but Morris’ incompetence assured the loss!

Look, I realize umpires make mistakes. We all do. But Morris didn’t apparently even think that he NEEDED to ask for a second opinion (didn’t look to his fellow officials), he obstinately stood by a call which, when he looks at the tape, he will realize that he blew, BIG TIME.

My opinion is that he needs to go back to officiating at T-ball games, although that would probably be a disservice to the kids.

Hopefully, you and your office will review this and take appropriate sanctions.

http://www.okblitz.com/Article.aspx?id=38731

Thanks for providing the email address, oldtimer

oldtimer
5/30/2011, 10:18 AM
I sent the following letter to the President of the Umpire Training school that effectively develops the current and future generations of Big 12 umpires. We as fans can't change the errors made by an umpire. But what we can do is use the facts to help prevent a repeat episode. One would hope that Umpire Morris would look in the mirror after last week and tell himself he's not as flawless as he perceives he is. Nonetheless, maybe his indiscretions can help teach others how to be better...

Dear Mr. Haze,

I was fortunate last week to attend the 2011 Big 12 Baseball tournament and watch several games that were officiated by umpires who are instructors at your Black and Blue Umpire School. For the majority of these games, the umpires were right-on. Unfortunately, umpire Mike Morris was not close to his best. On three separate occasions, I and my friends saw umpire Morris miss calls that a 10-yr. veteran of Big 12 baseball experience shouldn't have.

One was a double play in the Baylor-UT game where Morris said the SS missed the bag resulting in UT gaining the momentum and scoring go ahead runs given an extra out. The SS swept the bag, runner was out by 2 steps - but called safe by umpire Morris.

Two was a close play at first in the Missouri-OSU game where the OSU player slid into first base head first and the opposing first baseman stepped on top on his hand making the play. Umpire Morris called the runner out resulting in OSU not scoring a runner from third on the play. Subsequent camera photos validated what most of us saw happen in real time. The runner was safe.

Third was a squeeze play in the OU-KSU game where the catcher picked-up the bunted ball, swept his foot across home plate and threw to first to end the play. Despite this play happening literally 3 feet in front of umpire Morris, despite the catcher dragging dirt onto the plate as he swept his cleat across it, umpire Morris said he didn't see the OU catcher touch the plate? This run eventually cost OU the game and eliminated them from the tournament.

I'd like to provide you a video link of the OU-KSU play for use in your future Umpire training classes. The issue isn't really that umpire Morris blew these calls, the real question is why he failed to stop play, bring the other 3 umpires together, and ask each one what they saw. The Big 12 paid for (4) umpires to support each of these games mentioned above. Not once did umpire Morris consult with his team to ensure he got the play correct. This is the part where umpire Morris let the game of baseball down, not to mention giving Big 12 officiating a black eye. http://www.okblitz.com/Article.aspx?id=38731

Events 2 and 3 above resulted in an umpire affecting the outcome of the game. We all know that shouldn't happen. Why did it happen? We as fans speculate umpire Morris is too prideful in thinking he alone has to decide. Others would call him complacent or egotistic. In the end, that was the frustrating part of watching him work. Had umpire Morris called the team of umpires together in the OSU or OU game, I am confident the foursome would have gotten the correct call. Please keep this theme in mind when you are teaching our next generation of umpires.

I am sending a copy of this letter to the Big 12 umpire administrator to request he assign the same high level of accountability on the selection of future Big 12 umpires as they expect from the players and coaches. Umpire Morris owes the teams, coaches, and fans of Big 12 an apology for not bringing his A-game to OKC last week.

thurman murman
5/30/2011, 10:52 AM
Nice letter, oldtimer.

Let us know if you get a response.

nighttrain12
5/30/2011, 12:12 PM
Umps are blind. No ****, right?