PDA

View Full Version : Does this past week change your opinion of BV?

Collier11
5/27/2011, 10:39 PM
I think it should, Football is huge in Oklahoma but at the end of the day its about the people. BV is a TOP 10 Def coach in America and has a Heart of Gold, now I know why Stoops sticks by him. I couldnt be more proud to have him as a coach than now!

Collier11
5/27/2011, 10:41 PM
and NO, this isnt emotion speaking, my emotion over the Box death just reaffirms my commitment to Coach V

agoo758
5/28/2011, 01:30 AM
While I completely sympathize and could not possibly imagine what he has gone through the past week, why would that change anyone's opinion of him as a DC? I would hope that everyone else would act that way anyway.

Fraggle145
5/28/2011, 02:28 AM
While I completely sympathize and could not possibly imagine what he has gone through the past week, why would that change anyone's opinion of him as a DC I would hope that everyone else would act that way anyway.

It could change your opinion because you got an inside look at the man and got to see what he was made of... the meat and potatoes if you will. we dont often get to see coaches in general, and our coaches in particular, be actual people and men of character.

agoo758
5/28/2011, 02:54 AM
It could change your opinion because you got an inside look at the man and got to see what he was made of... the meat and potatoes if you will. we dont often get to see coaches in general, and our coaches in particular, be actual people and men of character.

I don't think anyone on here has doubted his character. I have always respected Venables as a coach and more importantly as a person. But why would someone who didn't like his coaching before like it now?

Now, with that being said. I would hope that no one I love, would have to go through what he has gone through. :(

SoonerOX
5/28/2011, 03:21 AM
I think it should, Football is huge in Oklahoma but at the end of the day its about the people. BV is a TOP 10 Def coach in America and has a Heart of Gold, now I know why Stoops sticks by him. I couldnt be more proud to have him as a coach than now!

I think that every Sooner fan respects coach Venables as a man. We've all known that he deeply cares for the young men that are a part of this program. However, we are talking about Brent as a man, not as a coach. While I believe that he is a first rate defensive coordinator, those that believe otherwise are still entitled to their opinion. That being said, I am proud to have coach Venables as our DC, there aren't many coaches out there whom I would rather see in that position.

soonercoop1
5/28/2011, 08:07 AM
Always thought he was a great person and a wonderful human being but his D hasn't been Top 15 in years....

Curly Bill
5/28/2011, 08:31 AM
I've never questioned his character, and I don't make light of what he's gone through recently, but as a DC he's still a good one, not a great one.

soonervegas
5/28/2011, 08:44 AM
I've never questioned his character, and I don't make light of what he's gone through recently, but as a DC he's still a good one, not a great one.

Curly Bill nails it.

I would like to add that I think has the tools be a tremendous head coach.

batonrougesooner
5/28/2011, 09:15 AM
He's an excellent defensive coordinator. That hasn't changed.

mgsooner
5/28/2011, 09:43 AM
It won't change the opinion of any of the redneck toothless idiots that rip him on here on a daily basis during the season.

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 11:31 AM
I have always respected Venables. He hasn't had the best defenses in the world, but the pieces are there. He is a very kind man, and doesn't deserve to be called "Vulnerables".

yermom
5/28/2011, 11:36 AM
i don't even really think he deserves it, but it's a pretty good play on his name :O

C&CDean
5/28/2011, 02:41 PM
It won't change the opinion of any of the redneck toothless idiots that rip him on here on a daily basis during the season.

It's not the redneck toothless idiots. It's the popped collar, puka shell wearing, gelled hair faggots who rip him more than anybody.

I've dealt with Venables for many years through my work. He's one of the finest people you could ever want to meet. He's also an outstanding defensive coordinator. Those that think he's average have **** for brains. Yes, they're entitled to their ignorance.

TahoeSOONER
5/28/2011, 02:55 PM
^this

bigfatjerk
5/28/2011, 03:02 PM
I would like for us to have had a little better defenses in recent years but fact is we haven't really had the talent we had there from 2000-2004 or 2005 or so. Just look at the players we had those years. Roy Williams, Tommie Harris, Derrick Strait, Brandon Everage, Woolfolk, Perkins, Calmus, Lehman, Marshall, Mitchell, Dan Cody, I can probably list more, but we have had some players that are that good but not a group of them together. And also more and more offenses are spreading teams out. Our defenses have been good, and well coached, probably just not as talented as they were in 2000-2004 especially. Now I think we are getting better. We still don't have the lines we had those years.

Salt City Sooner
5/28/2011, 03:22 PM
Always thought he was a great person and a wonderful human being but his D hasn't been Top 15 in years....
I'll take Slept Through the Entire 2009 Season for $500, Alex.

Sooner_Tuf
5/28/2011, 03:29 PM
It's not the redneck toothless idiots. It's the popped collar*, puka shell wearing, gelled hair faggots who rip him more than anybody.

I've dealt with Venables for many years through my work. He's one of the finest people you could ever want to meet. He's also an outstanding defensive coordinator. Those that think he's average have **** for brains. Yes, they're entitled to their ignorance.

My opinion of Brent hasn't changed. I've known he is a top shelf guy since I first met him over ten years ago.

*no shortage of these guys

ouwasp
5/28/2011, 03:38 PM
I think Coach Venables is an all-round fine guy (don't know him personally), is a very good DC (else Bob would not have kept him), and I hope to see more 3-n-outs from the D this season. :)

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 03:41 PM
I would like more shutouts. I know they are hard things to accomplish, but who wouldn't want to see the Sooners shut out their opponents besides our opponents?

SoonerMom2
5/28/2011, 03:42 PM
It's not the redneck toothless idiots. It's the popped collar, puka shell wearing, gelled hair faggots who rip him more than anybody.

Awesome post -- should be brought out anytime the cannot see the forest for the trees rip Venerables.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/28/2011, 04:11 PM
I would say most people that are critical of Venables are people who never sit through a Schnellenberger and Blake game too.

yermom
5/28/2011, 05:21 PM
I would like more shutouts. I know they are hard things to accomplish, but who wouldn't want to see the Sooners shut out their opponents besides our opponents?

i think last year we were deadly again on the takeaways, that was pretty huge. i'll take a crazy turnover margin over a few shutouts.

now all we need is to be doing it on special teams again.

SoonerofAlabama
5/29/2011, 01:39 PM
We had some good special teams plays last year. Not on kickoff coverage, but on the punts we did well.

Collier11
5/29/2011, 02:59 PM
If we had consistently better ST's and a slower paced off, I bet BVs Def would be Top 10 each year

EatLeadCommie
5/29/2011, 03:06 PM
Brent is still going to get his share of criticism. It comes with the job.

However, with his speech at the Box funeral, I saw why Bob has kept with him. It is very apparent that he has some charisma and the ability to engage a room. I can only imagine what that does in the recruiting process. He has a head coaching job somewhere in his future.

Collier11
5/29/2011, 03:09 PM
Thats the thing, peeps like Curly :D use the fact that he isnt a head coach yet as the fact that he isnt a great coach. You can disagree all you want but everything ive heard over the last sevral years is that BV doesnt want to be a Head Coach right now, he doesnt want to uproot his family and he is making fat cash as it is

MyT Oklahoma
5/29/2011, 04:28 PM
I have been very impressed by the people in our program over the past two weeks in how they have responded to adversity. No further comment.

Curly Bill
5/29/2011, 04:35 PM
Thats the thing, peeps like Curly :D use the fact that he isnt a head coach yet as the fact that he isnt a great coach. You can disagree all you want but everything ive heard over the last sevral years is that BV doesnt want to be a Head Coach right now, he doesnt want to uproot his family and he is making fat cash as it is

That's just one small factor in my pointing out he's not a great DC. Admittedly by itself it proves little, but this isn't the thread to debate his qualities, or lack thereof, as a DC.

OUInformant
5/29/2011, 04:52 PM
I do.

In this day of rampant cheating by head & assistant coaches, it's good to know that we have good character guys who won't cheat to win.

While we haven't won a second national title per se, unless you count the fact that USC blatantly cheated to recruit the way they did, our program has slowly but steadily improved over the last decade, while other programs have risen and fallen.

soonercoop1
5/30/2011, 07:45 AM
I'll take Slept Through the Entire 2009 Season for $500, Alex.
OU Total D Rankings:

2010-53rd
2009-23rd
2008-68th
2007-26th
2006-16th
2005-13th
2004-13th
2003-3rd
2002-10th
2001-4th
2000-8th

JRAM
5/30/2011, 09:41 AM
If anyone ever questioned BV's integrity or coaching prowess, they must have been braindead. BV is a tremendous person and an excellent coach. Always has been and always will be.

SoonerofAlabama
5/30/2011, 09:43 AM
OU Total D Rankings:

2010-53rd
2009-23rd
2008-68th
2007-26th
2006-16th
2005-13th
2004-13th
2003-3rd
2002-10th
2001-4th
2000-8th

Nice post. We have had some good D.

badger
5/30/2011, 11:10 AM
I only say "Vulnerables" because it's silly and sounds funny, not because I don't trust him to run the defense or anything. If Stoops trusts him, I do too, because I trust Stoops :)

And it was very touching to hear Brent V speak about Austin. I can't think about Austin without getting misty eyed so I'm gonna stop :(

Salt City Sooner
5/30/2011, 03:10 PM
OU Total D Rankings:

2010-53rd
2009-23rd
2008-68th
2007-26th
2006-16th
2005-13th
2004-13th
2003-3rd
2002-10th
2001-4th
2000-8th

2009 Rushing Defense was #8 in the nation: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2009&rpt=IA_teamrushdef&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

Passing Efficiency D was #7: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2009&div=IA&rpt=IA_teamdefpasseff&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

Total Defense was #8: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2009&rpt=IA_teamtotdef&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

Scoring D was # 7: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2009&rpt=IA_teamscordef&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

Save for the possible arguement of TTU,when the D finally broke under the stress of having to hold the O's end of the deal as well as their own every time they played somewhere not named Owen Field (sans the Sun Bowl), the offense was the problem that year, period.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/31/2011, 12:51 AM
Another thing to look at in those stats is that back in 2000, how man teams were offensive based teams. Let's see A&M had a mediocre ground and pound offense, same for Tech, Texas, Nebraska, K-State. Missouri had no consistent offense until about 2003. Baylor has become more capable in the last 2 or 3 years. OU changed the culture of "You can't pass in the Big 12 because the wind blows too hard"

SoonerofAlabama
5/31/2011, 09:27 AM
So those defensive rankings are just the product of thinking ahead?

agoo758
5/31/2011, 09:33 AM
If we had consistently better ST's and a slower paced off, I bet BVs Def would be Top 10 each year

Definitely a fair point.

bornnbredou
5/31/2011, 10:20 AM

^ This, I dont have any stats compiled, but Id be willing to bet that our defenses are on the field for more total minutes per game than most of the country and thats just a product of our offense being so fast paced. Thats the biggest reason we give up so many yards, our points allowed havent been that high the last few years, just the yards given up, but if thats not translating into points for the opponent, then more credit to our defense.

humblesooner
5/31/2011, 10:43 AM
OU Total D Rankings:

2010-53rd
2009-23rd
2008-68th
2007-26th
2006-16th
2005-13th
2004-13th
2003-3rd
2002-10th
2001-4th
2000-8th

ANyone who hangs their hat on "We haven't had a Top 10 D in years" needs to consider the most important reason why.
These rankings are based on total Defense (total Rush yards, total pass yards, total scoring allowed, etc).
In the last 3-4 years (coincides with the worst showings on the list above) OU has been known for running the most offensive plays in College Football on a per-game basis. Guess what that relates to? More offensive plays run by our opponents. Which relates to higher rush yards, pass yards, points scored, etc.
I'm not going to take the time to do an actual comparison, but if OU runs 90 plays and has 20 possessions per game, that means our opponents have 20 possessions per game also. That would mean that they run at least 60 plays per game, and most likely 70-75.
Now if the #1 defense allows 3 yards per play for 50 plays, they have allowed 150 yards per game. If OU allows 2.5 yards per play thay allow 175 yards per game based on 70 plays per game.
Which defense is better (2.5 yards per play versus 3.0)?
Which defense is ranked higer (150 yards per game versus 175)?
Rankings should be based on yards per play and points per play for a true ranking of the best defense.
And you can't use the argument that OU's defense should be stouter and get the opponents offense off the field. My scenario above actually is based on 3-and-outs for almost the entire game. Every time our opponent gets a first down, the stats become even more skewed.
OU (O and D) are on the field over the course of 12-13 games, much more than our opponents over the same time.

mightysooner
5/31/2011, 07:59 PM
Venables is not a top 10 DC. Not even close. His admirable handling of personal and team crises doesn't make him one either.

TXBOOMER
5/31/2011, 08:30 PM
I don't get people that stay on BV's jock. BV is here because Stoops wants him here. If that isn't good enough for you get the F out of here.

mightysooner
5/31/2011, 08:33 PM
I'm not "on his jock". I dispute that he's a top 10 DC because there's no evidence to support that statement. It's an honest assessment without the emotional ties to the program (ie., crimson colored glasses). Bob wanted Chuck Long here too. How's he doing these days?

Collier11
5/31/2011, 09:05 PM
Chuck Longs success as a head coach has nothing to do with his success as a OC

mightysooner
5/31/2011, 09:20 PM
This the same guy we call Chuck "Third and" Long 'round here? One would think that if he were that highly regarded as an offensive mind he would've landed a good job at a big school even after failing as a HC. Even Charlie Weiss landed on his feet at a plumb school like Florida after failing miserably as a HC. And he left the Kansas City Chiefs to take the Florida job.

Collier11
5/31/2011, 09:37 PM
Chuck Long engineered some of the highest scoring offenses in the nation, but then I shouldve known that you know more than Stoops

mightysooner
5/31/2011, 09:49 PM
Chuck Long engineered some of the highest scoring offenses in the nation, but then I shouldve known that you know more than Stoops

Why is this nationally respected, record setting, offensive genius toiling away at kansas then?

Collier11
5/31/2011, 09:52 PM
I dont understand your question

mightysooner
5/31/2011, 09:54 PM
I dont understand your question

What's unclear about it?

Collier11
5/31/2011, 09:55 PM
what are you implying? He is the off coord at a BCS school

C&CDean
5/31/2011, 10:03 PM
So, we have yet another Phoenician who has spent too many hours under the sun's spell...

WTF if wrong with OU folks who moved to Arizona? Too much sun?

goingoneight
5/31/2011, 10:04 PM
... and Lardie Weiss will be the scapegoat for Gator fail within three years.

I can think of two things that got people all uppity about Chuck Long around here.

1. The LSU game. Well, I'm pretty sure all great OC's make a series of questionable calls despite what the fans think sometimes.

2. The 2005 season. Ummm... who in CFB would have lit up the scoreboards with that catastrophe? Here's your "third and long:" All you have is Adrian Peterson and a quarterback who refuses to do what you tell him to do. Your receivers can't catch a cold and your line was the worst of the Stoops era.

Now, that said... I was a fan of how Kevin Wilson would change things up to suit his personnel. He didn't necessarily always "create," but he did "adapt." If you don't think so, then you're wrong. Plain and simple. Go back and watch 2006 highlights and you'll see.

Even great coaches look lousy in lousy circumstances. KU after the 2009 collapse = lousy circumstances.

TXBOOMER
5/31/2011, 10:19 PM
As many people have already pointed out in this thread. As long as we are running an up tempo offense that results in a bunch of extra snaps, we will also be giving the other team a bunch of extra snaps. Because of that, a top 10 defense from a statistical perspective is not likely to happen regardless of who the DC is. Bob Stoops wants BV as his DC because he believes he is the best man for the job. That is good enough for me.