PDA

View Full Version : I'm taking the Mavs in 5.

Bradz
5/27/2011, 01:47 PM
:eek:

I know this comes off as blatant overconfident homerism, but if Dallas is going to win the series, their best odds are in 5 games.

I think things will be fairly evident early... pace, defense, etc. One of the Lakers' problems was the inability to stop the penetration/ kick-out 3 pointer, which really opened up the middle. If Dallas' quick paced offense gives Miami fits, then my prediction is possible. If Miami dominates defensively, as they did with Chicago, then Dallas will likely struggle.

SoonerNate
5/27/2011, 05:16 PM
Miami has won every series in 5 games thus far. I doubt they're too worried about a 3 seed.

Eielson
5/27/2011, 06:07 PM
Miami has won every series in 5 games thus far. I doubt they're too worried about a 3 seed.

They've been playing teams from the East, though.

Collier11
5/27/2011, 07:58 PM
The west isnt the powerhouse it once was...Heat in 7

ouleaf
5/27/2011, 09:52 PM
Keys to Mavs winning this series depends on whether or not they improve their rebounding from what they did in the WCF against OKC. The Mavs were not very good, and Miami is too good to give them second chance points. Tyson Chandler also has to stay out of foul trouble. His ability to clog the lane and alter shots is huge for the Mavs. Haywood has played admirably, but he is just not the defensive force that Chandler is.

I don't think there is any question that the Mavs are the better team, but sometimes that just doesn't matter when you have a dynamic player or players who can create and knock down shots from anywhere on the floor. You could probably argue that the Mavs were the better team in 2006, but D-Wade was simply better. I think the Mavs are more equipped defensively this go around. It'll be crucial for them to get at least 1 out of the first 2 in Miami.

Collier11
5/27/2011, 10:13 PM
I don't think there is any question that the Mavs are the better team.

You had me til here, The Mavs had the most unconvincing 4-1 win you would ever see against OKC, they are a really great team, dont get me wrong, but for the last 2 weeks Miami is the best team in Basketball IMO

SoonerNate
5/27/2011, 10:30 PM
We may need Lebron to cover _irk. While covering Rose he held him to 6.8% from the field!

Collier11
5/27/2011, 10:35 PM
If there is anyone in the world who can cover Dirk, it would be Lebron, I cant wait for that matchup

SoonerNate
5/27/2011, 10:42 PM
I can't handicap this one. Dallas destroyed us in Dallas earlier this season and we destroyed them in Miami. I haven't a clue on this series.

Collier11
5/27/2011, 10:46 PM
Miami is the best team in basketball right now...doesnt mean it will carry over to the Finals though, should be a great series

SoonerNate
5/27/2011, 10:47 PM
I agree.

bornnbredou
5/27/2011, 11:09 PM
You had me til here, The Mavs had the most unconvincing 4-1 win you would ever see against OKC, they are a really great team, dont get me wrong, but for the last 2 weeks Miami is the best team in Basketball IMO

I agree with that, but come on, Dallas as a complete team is much better than Miami and their playoff performance as a whole this year is much more impressive than Miamis. I love my Mavs, but I have a hard time picking them in the series with the way the format is being 2-3-2...thats huge for Miami having the last 2 at home, thats the only reason I think Miami will probably win, well that and 3 and 6.

bornnbredou
5/27/2011, 11:11 PM
I can't handicap this one. Dallas destroyed us in Dallas earlier this season and we destroyed them in Miami. I haven't a clue on this series.

What? Dallas won both games they played this year.

Collier11
5/27/2011, 11:20 PM
I agree with that, but come on, Dallas as a complete team is much better than Miami and their playoff performance as a whole this year is much more impressive than Miamis. I love my Mavs, but I have a hard time picking them in the series with the way the format is being 2-3-2...thats huge for Miami having the last 2 at home, thats the only reason I think Miami will probably win, well that and 3 and 6.

I disagree, The Heat took apart the Celts who were their nemesis and took apart the #1 seed. The Heat have just as much experience as the Mavs, this is Wades, Haslems, and Brons 2nd finals appearance.

Collier11
5/27/2011, 11:23 PM
Plus, the Mavs D isnt half as good as the Heat...game over right there IMO

bornnbredou
5/27/2011, 11:31 PM
Well the Mavs took out the trailblazers who were picked almost unanimously to beat the Mavs, then swept the 2 time defending champions, then beat the most athletic team in the NBA in 5 games with arguably the most talent of any team top to bottom...ill take that over beating a depleted Boston team and the Bulls who have only one scorer.

You are right about the heats D tho, I just think the series sets up good for them, they wont be able to play in the paint with the Mavs, but as someone else said already, sometimes having 2 star players stumps all of that...we shall see though

bornnbredou
5/27/2011, 11:33 PM
And Dirk, Kidd, and Terry have all been to multiple Finals' too

Collier11
5/27/2011, 11:34 PM
Again, I still think it goes 7

Collier11
5/27/2011, 11:34 PM
And Dirk, Kidd, and Terry have all been to multiple Finals' too

My point is that the experience factor is null and void

bornnbredou
5/27/2011, 11:43 PM
My point is that the experience factor is null and void

Ok, gotcha...anyway I hope youre wrong haha, but yeah I have the Heat in 7 as well, that homecourt format is ridiculous, why change it for the Finals? Its an unfair advantage for the team that already has homecourt advantage.

Collier11
5/27/2011, 11:46 PM
I got into an argument with a co-worker today, same **** as when usc played tex in the BCS...he asked how I could ever root for a Eastern conf team, I said simple, I dont root for my teams biggest rival!

I will never get the mindset that you root for your conf, division, etc... if it is your rival, sorry

Collier11
5/27/2011, 11:51 PM
BTW, I am firmly in the camp that believes that Dirk is in the Top 15 of all time, ring or not

SoonerNate
5/27/2011, 11:55 PM
BTW, I am firmly in the camp that believes that Dirk is in the Top 15 of all time, ring or not

I say top 30. He falls very far in my book because of his absolute failure at defense. Thus the name _irk

bornnbredou
5/27/2011, 11:56 PM
Haha, me too, the only time I ever root for a conference team or rival is if it somehow directly helps my favorite team out, and anyone who thinks Dirk isnt top 15, if not top 10 all time is simply looking at it from a championship standpoint. He is the most unguardable player of all time, even guys like Kareem, Magic, Bird and others say that he is just insanely unguardable. I still think that he needs to win it all this year to solidify a top 10 all time position though. Its gonna suck when he retires, the Mavs may never survive that kind of loss.

Collier11
5/27/2011, 11:57 PM
A 7footer that can play like that on Offense, I dont care about Def

bornnbredou
I say top 30. He falls very far in my book because of his absolute failure at defense. Thus the name _irk

Just out of respect for your opinion, can you name all 30 above him?

SoonerNate
He can't play D born.

Collier11
5/27/2011, 11:58 PM
Again, in his case it doesnt matter...

bornnbredou
5/28/2011, 12:08 AM
He can't play D born.

LOL at you, just another hater, you cant name 30 above him because there isnt. Arent you the same one who thinks Miami blew out Dallas at home this year? yeah not taking your opinion on this matter too seriously

SoonerNate
5/28/2011, 01:04 AM
It's time to steal another ring from that Nazi.

http://media.nowpublic.net/images//cf/3/cf3d29de61c9d2a0454f3463a19e14c7.jpg

Sooner74
5/28/2011, 01:43 AM
And I would bet you half of the top 30 also can't play a lick of defense. Sorry Dirk is about as unique and great as we will see for a long time. Lebum isn't close to his skill.

SoonerNate
5/28/2011, 01:48 AM
And I would bet you half of the top 30 also can't play a lick of defense. Sorry Dirk is about as unique and great as we will see for a long time. Lebum isn't close to his skill.

Don't tell Scottie Pippen.

kevpks
5/28/2011, 08:08 AM
Heat in 6. The refs will let them play if Lebron is guarding Dirk and that favors Lebron.

Curly Bill
5/28/2011, 08:38 AM
Mavs in 6, but it all depends on if the officials let the Mavs guard Lebron and Wade. If merely looking at Wade is a foul as it was in 06 than it'll prolly be the Heat in 6.

GrapevineSooner
5/28/2011, 08:45 AM
Larry Bird was a great lockdown defender.

No wait, he wasn't!

Bradz
5/28/2011, 11:40 AM
Don't sleep on Carlisle vs. Spoelstra.

Collier11
5/28/2011, 12:04 PM

Way to show your intelligence, based on skill alone Lebron is Top 25 All Time already

SoonerNate
5/28/2011, 12:22 PM
I will say this. If the majority of Thunder fans want Dallas to become a rivalry then I think it would look pretty stupid to pull for them to win a title.

GrapevineSooner
5/28/2011, 01:14 PM
I will say this. If the majority of Thunder fans want Dallas to become a rivalry then I think it would look pretty stupid to pull for them to win a title.

I don't care for the Spurs or Lakers, but I'd root for either one if they were facing the Heat.

I hate Miami and I make no apologies for it.

SoonerBread
5/29/2011, 09:11 PM
Heat in 6

ouleaf
5/31/2011, 11:05 AM

In terms of a 1-12 roster, the Mavs are easily the better team, but when you have 2 superstars and and an all-star of a 3rd player and a bunch of spare parts around them, does not a team make.

If Miami wins this series it won't be because of Mike Miller or Mike Bibby or the host of spares they have at center. They will win because of the combo of Wade/LeBron/Bosh is just too much individual talent.

For the Mavs, you'll have Dirk, but your going to see contributions from 8-9 deep. To me that is a better team....but like it was mentioned elsewhere, sometime it doesn't matter when you have 2 of the best players in the world that can absolutely take over a game or a whole series.

ouleaf
5/31/2011, 11:42 AM
Haha, me too, the only time I ever root for a conference team or rival is if it somehow directly helps my favorite team out, and anyone who thinks Dirk isnt top 15, if not top 10 all time is simply looking at it from a championship standpoint. He is the most unguardable player of all time, even guys like Kareem, Magic, Bird and others say that he is just insanely unguardable. I still think that he needs to win it all this year to solidify a top 10 all time position though. Its gonna suck when he retires, the Mavs may never survive that kind of loss.

I can't put Dirk as a top 10 or 15 all-time, and I don't think I'll ever be able to. Is he a top 10 scorer of all time? You can certainly make that case, as he has a real chance to finish his career in the 30,000 point club, of which there are only 5 current members (Kareem, Malone, MJ, Wilt, and Dr. J). Kobe will likely join those ranks next season, but outside of him, there really aren't many current players threatening to. Shaq is close, but can't stay healthy enough to produce anymore, KG's scoring has dropped off considerably in the last 3 or so seasons.

Dirk is about to pass all time great scorers like Reggie Miller, Iverson, West, Barry, Wilkins, Robertson, and Olajuwon in the coming years. Pretty historic names he will be up there with.

As an all around player though, that is where he drops out of the top 25 for me. He'll finish his career with more than 10,000 rebounds, which is great for anyone, but it's not an all-time statistic like what he'll finish up in points.

Bradz
6/6/2011, 11:31 AM
<meek>Mavs in 7</meek>

Ruf/Nek7
6/13/2011, 01:50 AM
I love going back and reading what everyone's opinions were. I said Mavs in 6 and successfully called 3-4 series (the one miss obviously being Lakers) but love that the Mavs really proved some of you guys wrong. Can't wait for the parade Thursday!

GrapevineSooner
6/17/2011, 06:45 PM
It was never about proving people wrong for me.

The ring's the thing. Once you have that, all the naysayers have no choice but to shut up.

Curly Bill
6/17/2011, 06:54 PM
Mavs in 6, but it all depends on if the officials let the Mavs guard Lebron and Wade. If merely looking at Wade is a foul as it was in 06 than it'll prolly be the Heat in 6.

I look pretty genius-like now. :D