PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele All Big 12 Released

MI Sooner
5/27/2011, 11:40 AM
It's up on his webpage (http://philsteele.com/Blogs/2011/May11/DBMay27.html). The fact that he has only two of our linemen listed Habern and Ikard doesn't ease my concerns about our OL. That basically means he only thinks two of our linemen are above average, since he goes four teams and there are ten teams. I do think we're deep and experienced, which will help, but I'd like to see more top-end play.

Flagstaffsooner
5/27/2011, 11:44 AM
Well, he blew it last year with us.:O

BOOMERBRADLEY
5/27/2011, 11:45 AM
How on earth can Malcolm Brown be first team and hasn't even carried the ball once yet?

Unbelievable

The Maestro
5/27/2011, 11:46 AM
Interesting...Malcolm Brown from Texas first team and Brandon Williams at OU 2nd team.

He had Austin Box on the third team and decided to leave him there. Nice gesture.

Caboose
5/27/2011, 11:48 AM
How on earth can Malcolm Brown be first team and hasn't even carried the ball once yet?

Unbelievable

Not to mention he has nobody to block for him. Steele is straining his credibility with that one. (Brandon Williams on the 2nd team is dubious as well, as he currently has about 3 other guys to beat out before he gets any real playing time.)

Caboose
5/27/2011, 11:49 AM
Oh, and also, Blake Gideon is terrible.

OU Engineer
5/27/2011, 11:52 AM
I'm starting to put Phil Steele in the same boat as bleacherreport...

MI Sooner
5/27/2011, 11:53 AM
Regarding Austin Box, I suspect he doesn't change what he posts on his website from what's in his magazine, which went to print before Austin's death.

I'm not sure how freshmen should be handled, but I tend to think you should base it on your best projection, rather than prior results. If you think Brown is a stud, I'm not sure who has done much to stay ahead of him on the AC team.

Finally, it's also notable that we have by far the most 1st and 2nd teamers, and that he apparently has fewer questions about our DL and secondary than most.

badger
5/27/2011, 12:05 PM
Well, he blew it last year with us.:O

He blew it with everyone last year. Linky (http://philsteele.com/Blogs/2010/May10/DBMay26.html) Just saying that everyone picked the same ones he did is no excuse. This guy is supposed to be an expert :rolleyes:

Notable eff-ups include:
-Jerrod Johnson as first-team QB (A&M benched him for Tanny by the time they hosted us)

- No mention of OSU's Justin Blackmon, who beat out Broyles et al for the national wide receiver award.

- Any mention of any Texas players. Suck by association :mack:

PS: He lists Fleming. Is he definitely back? Also, Jimmy Stevens is fourth-team. Hmmmm...

SoonerofAlabama
5/27/2011, 12:27 PM
This is basically a blog. It is just another bleacher report with a little bit more national credit. I see that he has Landry as a first-teamer, but a lot of his choices don't make any sense. This list doesn't mean much. It is all left up to the actual players. Also, go Jimmy Stevens.

LakeRat
5/27/2011, 01:54 PM
This is why preseason polls are awesome. You can talk a little football.

I think the kid from Texas has a decent year. He doesn't have competition for carries. He is a great athlete. Has some weak sisters to boost stats against. Has an all american type QB to take off the pressure . . . wait . . . ignore that last part.

As far as Jimmy Stevens, he has a pretty solid percentage. He just misses the crucial ones. I can see why he would be on the list.

usaosooner
5/27/2011, 04:52 PM
No Tony Jefferson... unpossible

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 11:39 AM
Just going to say that this list will change and PhilSteele will be very wrong, looking at some of these names on the list.

texaspokieokie
5/28/2011, 12:28 PM
Oh, and also, Blake Gideon is terrible.

gideon is one of my favorites. he was very instrumental in the big tx/tt game.

Sooner_Tuf
5/28/2011, 12:47 PM
This is basically a blog. It is just another bleacher report with a little bit more national credit. I see that he has Landry as a first-teamer, but a lot of his choices don't make any sense. This list doesn't mean much. It is all left up to the actual players. Also, go Jimmy Stevens.

Phil Steele is another Bleacher Report?

rekamrettuB
5/29/2011, 09:41 AM
Having two freshmen on All Big XII two deep says more about the lack of RBs this coming year than it does about those two...in my opinion.

SoonerofAlabama
5/29/2011, 01:08 PM
Having two freshmen on All Big XII two deep says more about the lack of RBs this coming year than it does about those two...in my opinion.

Yes, some talent was lost to the NFL and there are only a few good running backs in the league that have proven their worth.

Caboose
5/29/2011, 01:14 PM

Not disputing this, but it is still a joke to have Brown as and All Big 12 running back as he has never had a single carry in a college game, the whorns have no one to block for him, and they have terrible QB who is utterly incapable of keeping a defense from loading the box to stop the run.

Regardless of how talented Brown is how will he be productive with such suck around him? Also, if Texas is gets behind in games and is playing catchup they will have to abandon the run anyway so he wont have many opportunities to produce.

Unless Texas has major big time improvement on defense, QB, and O-line... this pick is flat out retarded.

OUInformant
5/29/2011, 05:01 PM
Yeah, Phil Steele's mag is not much better than the other mags. Other than the fact that he is usually pretty high on OU, I really never understood why people think his stuff is so great. Some years he predicts well, other years his predictions are bad, so it all averages out.

This list seems pretty bad, as some of those players have never played a down of CFB. I saw this and thought it was quite ridiculous.