PDA

View Full Version : Indy 500

jk the sooner fan
5/27/2011, 10:38 AM
anybody watch this?

i'm not what you'd call a big fan of racing - but i try and catch this one (and a couple of others) each year

Memtig14
5/27/2011, 10:39 AM
I am usually good for 3 or 4 miles.

jk the sooner fan
5/27/2011, 10:42 AM
I am usually good for 3 or 4 miles.

so 1 lap

:D

pphilfran
5/27/2011, 10:49 AM
It lost it's luster when CART and the formers of IRL got into a pizzing match...I haven't watched it in years...

SoonerLVZ
5/27/2011, 11:09 AM
I'll watch the start and have it on in the background while having the BBQ on Sundays. I am a F1 fan though and the Monaco race is this weekend, which is always cool to see.

Whet
5/27/2011, 11:11 AM
no, I will watch the 600. I've attended several IRL races (part of our race package at Chicagoland) and do not really follow that type of racing. The Indy track is not a spectator's track because there isn't a real good location to see the whole track, just parts.

pphilfran
5/27/2011, 11:24 AM
no, I will watch the 600. I've attended several IRL races (part of our race package at Chicagoland) and do not really follow that type of racing. The Indy track is not a spectator's track because there isn't a real good location to see the whole track, just parts.

I have been to the race...I remember drinking a lot of beer....

jk the sooner fan
5/27/2011, 11:26 AM
i like open wheel racing over the stock car type

Breadburner
5/27/2011, 11:27 AM

Uhhhhh....You could say that about any track....Especially ones that are 2.5 miles....I predict you dont like Formula one either....

pphilfran
5/27/2011, 11:35 AM
I am a WoO guy...

Whet
5/27/2011, 11:51 AM
Uhhhhh....You could say that about any track....Especially ones that are 2.5 miles....I predict you dont like Formula one either....

No, that is not correct. The pagoda and the stands inside block the view of turns 2 & 3, along with the back stretch. There is very little banking on the corners, so depending where you are sitting, you can only see one, possibly 2 corners of the track.

Other than Indy, there are 3 other non-road course tracks that are 2.5 or greater: Daytona - great sight lines; Talladega - another with great sight lines, and Pocono - the sight lines are ok.

I predict you don't know too much about the various tracks in the States and you don't like puppies and kittens!

soonersponge
5/27/2011, 11:51 AM
I enjoy Outlaw Racing.

2121Sooner
5/27/2011, 11:54 AM
I watch it every year and my sister lives in Indy and they get free tickets quite often.

One year my brother in law was walking down in the pit area with a coue of cop buddies he was with. He just happened to be between them and some folks thought was someone important so folks were walking up to him asking for his autograph. Kinda funny

Pricetag
5/27/2011, 11:56 AM
I'll be glad when it's over. ESPN has been showing Indy Racing in the slot it usually shows AWA wrestling on weeknights. I need a mid-80s wrestling fix.

The Profit
5/27/2011, 12:03 PM
I have been to the race...I remember drinking a lot of beer....

I went to the time trials in 1987. I remember drinking a lot of beer.

StoopTroup
5/27/2011, 12:12 PM
I flew over it once in Nancy's G5

yermom
5/27/2011, 12:47 PM
I'll be glad when it's over. ESPN has been showing Indy Racing in the slot it usually shows AWA wrestling on weeknights. I need a mid-80s wrestling fix.

you should try Netflix :D

virginiasooner
5/27/2011, 01:03 PM
The only car race I'll watch all year is the Indy 500. Just like the only golf tournament I'll watch both Saturday and Sunday is the Masters.

yermom
5/27/2011, 01:07 PM
i just can't get into much beyond WRC

i like watching modifieds, etc... on dirt tracks in person occasionally though

The Profit
5/27/2011, 01:29 PM
I just wish they would go in the other direction every other year.

Mjcpr
5/27/2011, 01:35 PM
i just can't get into much beyond WRC

i like watching modifieds, etc... on dirt tracks in person occasionally though

I like to watch a little dirt road action every once in a while too!

Mongo
5/27/2011, 01:36 PM
I like to watch a little dirt road action every once in a while too!

it is a nice change of pace from the ordinary

texaspokieokie
5/27/2011, 02:31 PM
I'll watch the 500. Probably not all of it, but most.

Tony George with his IRL really screwed it up. he shoulda been bitch slapped, every day for years on end.

Supposedly, champ cars & irl merged, couple years ago. in my mind ( with no inside knowledge), champ cars pretty much folded. i know they still have (or had) some of the Champ races, but not many.

Paul Newman hated the IRL, never went to indy after Tony George took over.
i would really like to have heard his opinion (before he died) on the "merger".

i watched the "500" on closed circuit TV, before any of it was on regular TV.
i think it was 65 & 66, in Long Beach civic auditorium.