PDA

View Full Version : Do you think tOSU should get the death penalty?

SoonerofAlabama
5/27/2011, 10:08 AM
I know ever since the SMU scandal happened, the NCAA has tried not to hand out the death penalty. Except for Morehouse College soccer and MacMurray College tennis who, the NCAA hasn't given out the death penalty since. I know this is a bit early to decide because there is still unknown information, but what do you think. A big problem with SMU was that they lied to the NCAA, and so did Jim Tressel. I know that SMU had several penalties before they were given the death penalty, and even the mayor of Dallas was involved in the scandal. Again, I know that the NCAA has tried not to give the death penalty because of how badly it devastated the program, but do you think Ohio State deserves it?

*I also know this isn't Oklahoma-related, but it is the offseason and this is football-related.

Doged
5/27/2011, 10:19 AM
I think a program has to be already on probation to even be eligible for the death penalty. Is tOSU currently under any sanctions?

SoonerDan74012
5/27/2011, 10:24 AM
I think a program has to be already on probation to even be eligible for the death penalty. Is tOSU currently under any sanctions?

They are still under probation stemming from the Jim O' Brian recruiting scandal. So yes, they would be eligible for it.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/27/2011, 10:28 AM
No.

NormanPride
5/27/2011, 10:30 AM
Yes. Just because it would be funny. Kill everyone.

What? That's not what the death penalty does in football? Boring.

oudavid1
5/27/2011, 10:31 AM
First of all, I think they "deserve" it. Secondly, Tressel should be fired. And C, they won't get it. Ohio State is a fixture in college football and the economy there. The NCAA cares about money. Killing a second tier 1 hit wonder iin Texas vs a top 5 all time school is a different song and dance. It won't happen. Not in these days.

Memtig14
5/27/2011, 10:34 AM
First of all, I think they "deserve" it. Secondly, Tressel should be fired. And C, they won't get it. Ohio State is a fixture in college football and the economy there. The NCAA cares about money. Killing a second tier 1 hit wonder iin Texas vs a top 5 all time school is a different song and dance. It won't happen. Not in these days.

Crap........I agree.

Flagstaffsooner
5/27/2011, 10:37 AM
http://www.fullissue.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/electric-Chair.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
5/27/2011, 10:39 AM
With Kiffin at the helm suc may soon be on death row too.:cool:

Muno
5/27/2011, 10:40 AM
Can someone provide the laundry list of violations? I can't keep up at this point. I know about the tatoos and then Tressel lying to his administration and the NCAA about it but I'm sure there is more.

How Tressel has managed to keep his job through this is the real mystery to me. He would be gone at about 98% of schools out there.

Flagstaffsooner
5/27/2011, 10:44 AM
How Tressel has managed to keep his job through this is the real mystery to me. He would be gone at about 98% of schools out there.

He won a BCS Championship.

SoonerNomad
5/27/2011, 10:46 AM
Tressel should be gone, but in my opinion they are not even close to the death penalty. If more coverups are uncovered and it starts looking like the fiasco SMU looked like in the early 80's that's a different thing, but based on what we know at this juncture no death penalty is warranted.

I also dislike the "they won't do it because it's a big program argument." If you flaunt it like SMU did it won't matter how big you are. What OSU needs to be doing is the mea culpa routine, but it's hard to do that when you're coach is leading the coverup.

My guess is Tressel is gone within a month and Ohio State will finally begin a public pattern of apologizing and rehabilitating itself instead of the current pattern of obfuscating and rationalizing.

SOFSooner
5/27/2011, 11:03 AM
I think that Tressel should be gone, and Ohio State will get about the same penalty that suc got, maybe even a little more as far as scholarships and post season bans.

cdlbdd
5/27/2011, 11:05 AM
In related news.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6598929

budbarrybob
5/27/2011, 12:37 PM

I think they will be on life support first.

badger
5/27/2011, 12:45 PM
He won a BCS Championship.

So did Fat Phil Fulmer.

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/phil-fulmer-nc.jpg

So did Larry Coker.
http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/files/cache/3ea/larry-coker-autographed-canes-time-magazine-jan-2003-6-miami-hurricanes-championship_3ea00c5e37cb8ac7f1ca31c15f5ebb97.jpg

Both had NCAA issues, both got let go from the schools they won championships at. I really think the difference is winning. Look for Coach Vest to get the boot when tOSU doesn't win the Big Ten and has a down year, thanks to the suspensions and other off-field issues. They are very much heading for a whorn-like year.

Flagstaffsooner
5/27/2011, 12:53 PM
So did Bud and Barry.

Muno
5/27/2011, 01:46 PM
Tressel should be gone, but in my opinion they are not even close to the death penalty. If more coverups are uncovered and it starts looking like the fiasco SMU looked like in the early 80's that's a different thing, but based on what we know at this juncture no death penalty is warranted.

I also dislike the "they won't do it because it's a big program argument." If you flaunt it like SMU did it won't matter how big you are. What OSU needs to be doing is the mea culpa routine, but it's hard to do that when you're coach is leading the coverup.

My guess is Tressel is gone within a month and Ohio State will finally begin a public pattern of apologizing and rehabilitating itself instead of the current pattern of obfuscating and rationalizing.

This is why I asked about OSU's violations because SMU had a decade of blatant rules violations before they were hit with the death penalty. They were put on probation 5 times during a 10 year period that culminated with the discovery of a booster slush fund that adminstration officials were aware of. Even after getting busted for the slush fund by the NCAA, they continued to make payments to players citing hardship to those players who had come to rely on those payments. Also, they were able to tie payments to school officials as well as boosters who had been banned based on prior NCAA penalties. Nothing I've heard about OSU even comes close to this but I strongly agree that Tressel should be gone.

LakeRat
5/27/2011, 01:59 PM
No, but I do think it is on par with USC. They should have a similar situation as that. Tressel will and should be no less than what DEZ was given. I see a two year ban with 5 on probation for Tressel. His was far worse than DEZ.

BoulderSooner79
5/27/2011, 03:23 PM
No, but the sanctions should be punitive enough the dent their ability to win and thus draw revenue for a while. The penalties must be designed to counter the temptation to cheat.

ashley
5/27/2011, 03:56 PM
SMU gave more to one second teamer than all those guys got put together.
Lots of schools have some history, including us, so careful with throwing around the death penalty.

SoonerStormchaser
5/27/2011, 04:02 PM
Hell yes...in fact, just nuke the whole university!

No1Better
5/27/2011, 04:11 PM
SMU's was on probation 5 previous times dating back to 1974 before the death penalty was handed down. They paid over 60k to their players out of a slush fund from a booster when they were nailed to the wall. The lack of institutional control was complete - all the way to the board of trustees.

The NCAA had no choice but to issue the death penalty to SMU. The impact to that program was so devastating, the NCAA will do everything possible to avoid handing down the death penalty to another major program.

tOSU still has some rope, but it's possible they could hang themselves before it's all said and done.

usaosooner
5/27/2011, 04:51 PM
No Death Penalty... They deserve a 3 year bowl ban, & loss of 40 scholarships over the 3 years. What Tressel did is far worse than what USC did

101sooner
5/27/2011, 04:52 PM
No. Tressel should get about a 3 year show cause. tOSU should get about the same as USC got. USC's scholarship reductions are pretty drastic. It wouldn't bother me if tOSU fired Tressel then got a lesser scholarship reduction than USC did.

Tressel lied to the Judge. There are certain lines that can't be crossed. I have no reason to hate Tressel. I'm sure he has done some kind things in the community, but there has to be a line drawn and lying to the NCAA and withholding information from the AD and University President should pretty much cross that line. If tOSU want's to let Tressel set his own punishment at 5 games, then they are intentionally thumbing their noses at the NCAA.

texaspokieokie
5/27/2011, 04:53 PM
NO dp

SoonerofAlabama
5/27/2011, 05:05 PM
Well, I know how the Buckeye fans feel about there coach at least:

http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/buckeye-football/623947-i-stand-jim-tressel-how-firm-thy-friendship.html

texaspokieokie
5/27/2011, 05:12 PM
those folks are delusional; but the only dates i saw on those posts; were in March.

maybe not the same now.

ouwasp
5/27/2011, 05:43 PM
The death penalty would be overkill, imo. Two yr bowl ban... and what about the good ol' fashioned TV ban? Wonder when the last time that was enacted?

Sooner_Tuf
5/27/2011, 07:28 PM
The accusations tOSU are nowhere near the level of what happened at SMU. In SMU's case the Gov of Texas was one of the administrators of the payroll for players. Plus I think the University of Texas was really pushing the NCAA as SMU was outrecruiting them.

stoopified
5/27/2011, 09:29 PM
Yes the Cowboys should get the death penalty....oh THE OSU....sure,why not?

King Barry's Back
5/27/2011, 09:51 PM

Ohio State may technically be eligible for the death penalty, but they will not get it and don't deserve it. Yes, Tressel seems corrupted through-and-through by his obsession with winning at all costs. Tressel made some serious lapses in judgement, and he clearly deserves heavy sanction, certainly deserves to be fired, and probably will be fired. But the whole OSU administration certainly does not seem to be in the tank with Tressel.

If another death penalty is ever going to be handed down, it would be to a program involved in issues like USC is right now.

In USC's case, you have systematic corruption and abuse in multiple sports. And you don't have a coach making a mistake in trying to take care of players (Tressel), you actually have huge sums of money and purchases/renting of homes, agents, etc. To make this appalling mess even worse, all this was openly aided and abetted from the AD himself, who publicly seemed to laugh in the face of the NCAA by ridiculing their enforcement efforts.

To make matters much worse, in the middle of this storm, USC went out and hired one of the most notoriously tainted with scandal football coaches in the country.

Throughout USC's whole ordeal, their administration's attitude (right down to the ball boys) has varied between "Ha Ha, the NCAA won't/can't do anything to us," all the way to "We are very, very, very sorry THAT WE GOT CAUGHT."

Only an outrageous case of serial violations and lack of minimal respect for NCAA rules ever will, or should, even be considered to result in a death penalty.

All that said, it's not going to happen to USC, either.

Flagstaffsooner
5/28/2011, 05:05 AM
From the SF Chronicle...

Football: A tattoo parlor owner who bought Ohio State football memorabilia was charged in federal court with drug trafficking and money laundering, though his attorney said there's no connection with the scandal unfolding over the sale of the items.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/27/SP821JMJT0.DTL#ixzz1Ndjha89J

soonerloyal
5/28/2011, 06:39 AM
From the SF Chronicle...
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1Ndjha89J

' "If he's responsible for anything, it's being a quality Ohio State fan." '

:eek:

The author and I have a very different definition of "quality". Egad.

CBUS_SOONER
5/28/2011, 07:15 AM
Can someone provide the laundry list of violations? I can't keep up at this point. I know about the tatoos and then Tressel lying to his administration and the NCAA about it but I'm sure there is more.

Next week SI is releasing an article on Tre$$ and all his cheating dating back to Youngstown St.

CBUS_SOONER
5/28/2011, 07:19 AM
Well, I know how the Buckeye fans feel about there coach at least:

http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/buckeye-football/623947-i-stand-jim-tressel-how-firm-thy-friendship.html

I'm telling you, he can do no wrong in the eyes of the idiot fans here. Simply amazing how they think he is God because he beats MEEEEEChIGAN. BTW those days are over with Hoke as coach

soonercoop1
5/28/2011, 08:03 AM
Something at least as harsh as USC received....no tv would be a great punishment...

texaspokieokie
5/28/2011, 08:05 AM
i don't think the usc situation is as bad as shown by KBB.

besides, ncaa has already ruled on their case.

you think (of course you don't) they're gonna come back & add to it ???

Jacie
5/28/2011, 08:07 AM
I know ever since the SMU scandal happened, the NCAA has tried not to hand out the death penalty.

I guess they have done a pretty good job since no D-1 school has been given the death penalty for infractions related to football since (maybe the schools got the message), nor do I think the NCAA ever will again hand down a penalty that severe since the result so crippled SMU's ability to comeback that it took the ponies almost 30 years to become competitive again.

. . . even the mayor of Dallas was involved in the scandal.

Mayor of Dallas? Try the governor of the state of Texas, though to his credit, he was only a regent of SMU when it started. He didn't become governor till after the poop hit the fan but the punchline was that they (meaning he and the other SMU moneymen) continued to make payments to a player even after the school got in trouble for doing it.

As to whether tOSU should get it, only if you don't want to see them play meaningful football in your lifetime (an exaggeration but not by much).

texaspokieokie
5/28/2011, 08:17 AM
ohio state has the resources to rebound much more quickly than smooo.JMHO

Okie35
5/28/2011, 08:21 AM
death penalty nooooo but tressel will be fired and take away bowls and scholarships for 4-5 years at least that'll be like the death penalty because it will set Ohio State back

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 11:33 AM
Yeah, we will see. I expect to see Tressel fired, but Ohio State seems like they are going to keep him, which will make the NCAA angry.

BoulderSooner79
5/28/2011, 12:19 PM
I don't think a school could commit the transgressions today that got SMU the death penalty. Someone (player,alumni,press,..) would tweet, IM, Facebook or whatever comes next and the information would become public long before it would get that far. Sort of a built-in boiler plate.