PDA

View Full Version : NBA Finals

SoonerofAlabama
5/26/2011, 10:25 PM
will be between the Heat and the Mavericks. I know who I am rooting for: Die Wärme as Dirk would say. Should be fun to watch.

silverwheels
5/26/2011, 10:32 PM
I'm cheering for a meteor.

colleyvillesooner
5/26/2011, 10:38 PM
Mavs in 6

SoonerNate
5/31/2011, 02:21 AM
Time to destroy the hearts of Dallas yet again.

jk the sooner fan
5/31/2011, 08:10 AM
Go Mavs!

GrapevineSooner
5/31/2011, 09:54 AM
Mavs in 6 as well.

That 06 team didn't how to close. This one does.

JLEW1818
5/31/2011, 10:17 AM
what a nightmare for me

go mavs

yuck

jk the sooner fan
5/31/2011, 10:26 AM
i wish i had the confidence to say "mavs in (insert any number from 4 to 7 here)".....

JLEW1818
5/31/2011, 10:31 AM
I just can't see Dallas getting their 4th win in Miami....

which would limit them to 5 games

who knows...

remember NBA Finals format is 2-3-2

jk the sooner fan
5/31/2011, 10:33 AM
yes i remember, i also remember that the Mavs had the best road record in the NBA this year (or one of the best)

GrapevineSooner
5/31/2011, 10:54 AM
yes i remember, i also remember that the Mavs had the best road record in the NBA this year (or one of the best)

They tied with Miami for the best road record at 28-13.

jk the sooner fan
5/31/2011, 10:55 AM
i do feel confident that Dallas can/will compete - and that Miami isnt going to blow them out of the gym

Collier11
5/31/2011, 09:58 PM
Barrea cant score on this D so far

StoopTroup
5/31/2011, 10:01 PM
HOW MUCH WAS THAT LAST SHOT WORTH?

Collier11
5/31/2011, 10:02 PM
Big momentum shift, Lebron can take this game over anytime but he is playing patient

StoopTroup
5/31/2011, 10:07 PM
lEbRON 3 FOULS

StoopTroup
5/31/2011, 10:10 PM
I don't agree with the call either..

How do you grab the ball out of the air and foul?

Colley....is the fix in?

colleyvillesooner
5/31/2011, 10:14 PM
I'm fine with that call if it was being called on the other end. It's not.

Both teams are shooting poorly. Dirk needs to go beast mode for the Mavs to win. Dallas bench playing on par with Miami's. That's bad.

bornnbredou
5/31/2011, 10:15 PM
These refs are terrible...not one way or the other, but they are letting fouls go both ways that are ridiculous, then calling ones like a Dirk rebound that wasnt anywhere near over the back? He stood straight up and grabbed the ball without jumping. I hate crappy officiating, although I think it has worked towards the Mavs so far.

StoopTroup
5/31/2011, 10:33 PM
Refs are screwing up the 2nd half.

StoopTroup
5/31/2011, 10:39 PM
I love how the Miami Players are acting like they are getting screwed....

SoonerofAlabama
5/31/2011, 10:46 PM
Heat win 92-84

StoopTroup
5/31/2011, 10:47 PM
Sad game. I would have thrown a ten point technical on Miami Fans just so they understood how this **** works throughout the rest of the series....

colleyvillesooner
5/31/2011, 10:49 PM
Ugh. If Terry, Barrea and Peja go 4-21 every game, Dallas gets swept.

ouleaf
5/31/2011, 11:07 PM
Tough loss for the Mavs. Was upset with the final 4 and a half minutes when the Mavs got the heat into the penalty and Mavs were only down 5 at that point....It should have gone to Dirk each and every time down the floor, but you had Terry missing a deep 3, Wade blocking a shot from Marion, and just bad execution down the stretch.

Credit to Miami though, they certainly made it tough on the Mavs and Wade and LeBron hit big shots from long range to open the margin back up. Have to hope that Peja, Terry, and Barea knock down those open shots in game 2

I thought the Mavs did a nice job defensively the whole night, they just got out worked on the glass again and gave the Heat too many second chance opportunities.

Thought the best player on the night for the Mavs was Marion...He really did a lot on both ends of the floor. The Mavs will need that kind of effort from him every game.

Miami's main trio was very good combining for 65, which was a good number for the Mavs to hold that group to, but have to give credit to their bench too. Chalmers hit some really big shots for them after Bibby was a no show.

JLEW1818
5/31/2011, 11:08 PM
thugh stern

ouleaf
5/31/2011, 11:11 PM
Also....will ESPN please, please, please fire Van Gundy and Mark Jackson immediately...Cannot believe we have to suffer though them for another series....They are awful

JLEW1818
5/31/2011, 11:13 PM
Also....will ESPN please, please, please fire Van Gundy and Mark Jackson immediately...Cannot believe we have to suffer though them for another series....They are awful

dude no joke, my body has already taken a big enough hit with it being Lebron Dallas.

JVG STFU, MARK JACKSON, YOU ALWAYS ****ING SUCKED DICK.

**** THIS ****ING GAME, **** I HATE ****ING LEBRON JAMES, AND IF CHRIS BOSH LOOKS UP AND YELLS TO THE SKY ONE MORE TIME I'M GOING TO ****ING KILL SOMEBODY

GrapevineSooner
5/31/2011, 11:57 PM
This just in, the Heat are much, much, much better closers than OKC are.

As such, you can ill afford to play catchup all 4th quarter if you're Dallas.

Also of note, the Mavs confirmed Dirk tore a tendon on the middle finger of his left hand diving for a loose ball with Chris Bosh. Fortunately, that's his non-primary shooting hand. But still, it's an injury.

And I don't want to say Game 2 is a must win. But I don't want to come back down 0-2 to the Heat. I guess it would be poetic justice if Dallas did to Miami what Miami did to Dallas five years ago.

But I'd rather just get the split in the first two in Miami and come home.

Collier11
6/1/2011, 07:36 AM
Good D on both sides, rugged reffing on both sides but Jlew and anyone else acting like the fix is in, dont be foolish.

I know its only one game but I dont see how Dallas wins this series, I will reasess after game 2 :D

jk the sooner fan
6/1/2011, 07:44 AM
the Mavs missed quite a few easy buckets - i dont know whether thats nerves or just dumb luck.....but i thought they competed fairly well in spite of that

Dirk's finger concerns me

Scott D
6/1/2011, 02:19 PM
Good D on both sides, rugged reffing on both sides but Jlew and anyone else acting like the fix is in, dont be foolish.

I know its only one game but I dont see how Dallas wins this series, I will reasess after game 2 :D

you know jlew well enough already....if the heat win it's because stern had the fix in, if the heat lose it's because of lebron.

Collier11
6/1/2011, 06:32 PM
So basically, Jlew has a sad obsession :D

Eielson
6/1/2011, 06:33 PM
Van Gundy cracks me up.

Scott D
6/1/2011, 07:07 PM
and I don't mind either Van Gundy or Jackson...neither one of them is even half as annoying as Joe Morgan had gotten.

GrapevineSooner
6/3/2011, 12:03 AM
Well I'm not really sure what to think here.

From Miami's perspective, they may simply look at it as a game that just got away from them. Which, dare I say, would be a little foolhardy because I thought the exact same thing after Dallas blew that 13 point lead in Game 3 in 2006.

Granted, there's a difference between a 2-0 lead and a 3-0 lead. But had Miami won tonight, that would have forced Dallas to win the next three at home to have a realistic shot at winning the series.

And I'm not sure that as talented as Miami is, that would be possible against this bunch in that situation, regardless of past precedent.

Hell, even after tonight's collapse, I still don't think Miami will lose 3 games in a row in this series. Course, I didn't think San Antonio could lose 3 in a row to Dallas in 2006 but they did.

Difference is now if you take 2 out of the next 3 at home and you just need to get another split in Miami to make sure JET gets to keep his tattoo.

That's the good news.

The bad news is the Mavs had too many turnovers tonight and they gave up a 9 point lead in the first half in much the same way they gave up an 8 point lead in the opening minutes of the second half Tuesday night.

And as Dirk astutely pointed out in his post game presser, turning the ball over in the half court offense = a layup for the Heat.

They've got to cut down on that.

ouleaf
6/3/2011, 12:12 AM
As a plus, the Mavs rebounded much, much better this go around, and that was huge during their final run...They actually out-rebounded Miami for the game. TO's were really bad though...I don't think there is any way Kidd has that many turnovers in a game the rest of the series.

GrapevineSooner
6/3/2011, 12:28 AM
As a plus, the Mavs rebounded much, much better this go around, and that was huge during their final run...They actually out-rebounded Miami for the game. TO's were really bad though...I don't think there is any way Kidd has that many turnovers in a game the rest of the series.

Yes, I would be remiss for not recognizing the Mavs improved effort on the glass. Particularly from one Tyson Chandler on the offensive end.

If not for him, we'd be lamenting a bevy of missed layups by the Mavs.

JLEW1818
6/3/2011, 09:18 AM
choke

JLEW1818
6/3/2011, 09:19 AM
can we please merge this with the NBA Playoffs thread?

too many good things for 2 threads

GrapevineSooner
6/3/2011, 07:34 PM
This is beautiful.

Especially the part where Whistle looks for his buddy Bennett, then realizes he's not reffing this game.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/photo/2011-06/62081820.jpg

colleyvillesooner
6/5/2011, 08:56 PM
Interesting game so far. Miami scoring in the paint, Dallas with alot of unforced errors.

Collier11
6/5/2011, 09:09 PM
Game 3 is bigger for Dallas than Miami IMO...good game so far

colleyvillesooner
6/5/2011, 09:19 PM
I'd agree with that. Bigger for the team without the 3 superstars. Dallas D has kept them in it, and Dirk seems about to go into 4th quarter beast mode...again.

Collier11
6/5/2011, 09:29 PM
Dirk just got away with a blatant push off on the layup...who will finish

SoonerofAlabama
6/5/2011, 09:33 PM
It definitel seems that Wade is carrying this Heat team in the finals. Going down to the wire. Less then six minutes left.

soonerbub
6/5/2011, 09:36 PM
We've seen this movie before

he's heating up!!! (at the line)

SoonerofAlabama
6/5/2011, 09:39 PM
Tied game. Mavs playing better now. Specifically Dirk.

colleyvillesooner
6/5/2011, 09:41 PM
I'd agree with that. Bigger for the team without the 3 superstars. Dallas D has kept them in it, and Dirk seems about to go into 4th quarter beast mode...again.

See? 12 straight. I love this German.

soonerbub
6/5/2011, 09:42 PM
Chris Bosh crunch time hero--who knew?

SoonerofAlabama
6/5/2011, 09:45 PM
88-86! Final ticks of the clock. Dirk has to get the ball.

SoonerofAlabama
6/5/2011, 09:47 PM
Little fact from espn: The team to win game 3 of the NBA finals goes on to win 100% of the time. 11-0

soonerbub
6/5/2011, 09:48 PM
Tough one Mavs if Chandler stays AWOL Dirk may need 60 a game to pull this off

JLEW1818
6/5/2011, 09:55 PM
notice how lebron like disappeared in the 2nd half and they still won?

if they would have let Wade finish game 2, the series would be 3-0

dallas must win games 4 and 5 no questions asked

SoonerofAlabama
6/5/2011, 09:56 PM
Big three had 64 points, 17 reb., 13 ast. combined.

You knew that Dirk would get the ball, so did the Heat.

JLEW1818
6/5/2011, 10:00 PM
i was looking for the JET 3

ouleaf
6/5/2011, 10:03 PM
Tough loss....Mavs had to at least win 2 of these 3 home games, so game 4 is must win for the Mavs.

Dirk didn't get a lot of help tonight scoring-wise. Dirk looked really pissed that Jet missed another open 3 when the game was tied at 86....Even still, Dirk had a chance to tie...shot was online, just back rimmed it. With the way the refs were blowing the whistle, almost wish Dirk had jumped into Haslem and try and draw a foul after his dribble right/spin left/shot fake move.

colleyvillesooner
6/5/2011, 10:04 PM
Ouch. Mavs got the shot they wanted and missed. Can't fault that.

Wade was a beast. Lebron is second fiddle. Hopefully this will become a problem as the series progresses. There was a little in fighting after James passéd to Chalmers in the corner allowing him to get doubled.

On to game 4.

SoonerofAlabama
6/5/2011, 10:21 PM
Ouch. Mavs got the shot they wanted and missed. Can't fault that.

Wade was a beast. Lebron is second fiddle. Hopefully this will become a problem as the series progresses. There was a little in fighting after James passéd to Chalmers in the corner allowing him to get doubled.

On to game 4.

LeBron was behind Bosh in scoring. James had the better game though, 17 pts, 9 ast.

GrapevineSooner
6/6/2011, 08:42 AM
Games 4 and 5 are must wins for Dallas.

I don't like their chances if the series goes back to Miami with the Heat having 2 chances to win it all.

I also don't like their chances if Dirk doesn't get some help from somebody else in the 4th. It's nice in a way that Dirk can dominate like this in the 4th...but if he had gotten any kind of help from JET or Kidd, they win this game.

jk the sooner fan
6/6/2011, 08:52 AM
if the supporting casts continues to shoot cold like they've been - this series is over - they may not need to go back to Miami

JET, Berea and Kidd got open looks all night in the second half and knocked down very few of them- they went to a pure jump shooting offense and they paid for it

ouleaf
6/6/2011, 08:58 AM
Mavs have made their bed for too long with JET as the secondary option behind Dirk for scoring. Mavs finally make an upgrade IMO in Caron Butler, but unfortunately he is a no go.

Mavs will have to get some scoring help from somewhere in game 4 or this thing is over. It doesn't matter who at this point, but someone has gotta step up and knock down shots.

It will be really important for the Mavs to capitalize on any Miami miss with either converting it into a made basket, trip to the FT line, or at least drawing a foul. The Mavs really cannot afford empty possessions like that when there is the opportunity for momentum to swing.

jk the sooner fan
6/6/2011, 09:02 AM
good point on Butler - i really think if he were healthy - this would be a 5 game series in favor of Dallas

Collier11
6/6/2011, 09:09 PM
Come on now, Butler is a diff maker but the Heat still play some mean D, now way the Mavs win in 5

JLEW1818
6/7/2011, 08:08 AM
i could see this being like the finals last year

so far the games have gone exact

ouleaf
6/7/2011, 08:56 AM
Will be interesting to see if Carlisle tricks up the rotation at all for game 4. To me Stevenson has been playing better and has been knocking down his shot with more consistency than Peja, and he plays defense as opposed to Peja who just has nothing out there if he isn't knocking down his shot.

Also may have to keep Dirk on the floor longer b/c there was the stat going around that the Mavs are -31 in the minutes Dirk has been out of the game this series. Might need to find a way to sneak extra minutes of rest for him by subbing out before a TV timeout and extend what might be a couple of minutes of game time but double or triple that in real time with time outs/dead balls/free throws, etc.

Scott D
6/7/2011, 01:03 PM
you overestimate Carlisle if you think he'll change anything.

JLEW1818
6/7/2011, 02:07 PM
you mean Jim Carrey

Scott D
6/7/2011, 02:50 PM
as much as I hate Jim Carrey, that's insulting to even him.

colleyvillesooner
6/7/2011, 05:52 PM
you overestimate Carlisle if you think he'll change anything.

Oops.

Barea into the starting lineup for Stevenson. Cardinal replaces Peja in the rotation. Looks like they're gonna run to start the game.

And if it doesn't work, you can always stop after 5 mins.

Scott D
6/7/2011, 06:06 PM
and if it works, you can always stop after 5 mins.

I'm having fun with this...it's pretty much a day to day decision making process on who I want to win this title even less than their opponent. My dislike for Carlisle is on par with my dislike of James. I just don't obsess over it like jlew.

SoonerofAlabama
6/7/2011, 06:35 PM
Barea hasn't been close to where he was in the WCF. But it seems that no Mavs have been up to their game.

JLEW1818
6/7/2011, 10:52 PM
8 points from Lebron James, you worthless ****ing dbag

colleyvillesooner
6/7/2011, 11:09 PM
I love this team.

Eielson
6/7/2011, 11:39 PM
Catching inbound passes can be difficult sometimes.

colleyvillesooner
6/7/2011, 11:58 PM
Catching inbound passes can be difficult sometimes.

Classic wide receiver move: running with it before you have it. Another Heat loss ends with Dwade on the floor.

ouleaf
6/8/2011, 08:26 AM
Another wild *** 4th quarter....Mavs seem content on living and dying by the 4th quarter comeback. I'm not sure I've ever seen a team that can turn it on like that on almost a nightly basis.

Dirk got enough help from the rest of the Mavs, which was especially important given his flu/fever/sinus issue. Marion was great again. Chandler had a big night. Stevenson knocked down some shots. Jet was able to knock down shots when it mattered.

Thought the Mavs were done for with the way they were giving up Offensive Rebounds early on, and Wade was playing out of his mind. They stuck with it...rallied in the 4th and came out with the win which is all that matters at this point.

As much as game 4 was a must win for the Mavs, game 5 is even more so. Also, really glad for the 2-3-2 format now, b/c it allows Dirk as much time as possible to rest and recover.

EDIT: If you're name is JJ Barea, you need to be doing nothing but practicing layups from now until game 5.

soonerloyal
6/8/2011, 10:13 AM
I really hated the Mavs for knocking our Thunder out of the playoffs. :O

But sheesh, I'm impressed with their never-quit 'tude. GO DALLAS, BEAT THE HEAT.

GrapevineSooner
6/8/2011, 10:19 AM
The Heat may very well win this series.

But the last 4 champions would wipe the floor with these guys.

GrapevineSooner
6/8/2011, 11:24 AM
And if I took a wrong turn in life and became a Heat fan for any reason, I'd be embarrassed by this.

http://i54.tinypic.com/219xycx.jpg

ouleaf
6/8/2011, 11:48 AM
Will be interesting to see if Carlisle tricks up the rotation at all for game 4. To me Stevenson has been playing better and has been knocking down his shot with more consistency than Peja, and he plays defense as opposed to Peja who just has nothing out there if he isn't knocking down his shot.

Have to give Carlisle some credit, b/c Peja was just giving the Mavs nothing in this series. Think moving JJ to start and Stevenson off the bench was a smart move.

Overall I think Carlisle has done a really good job this entire playoffs.

ouleaf
6/8/2011, 11:49 AM
And if I took a wrong turn in life and became a Heat fan for any reason, I'd be embarrassed by this.

http://i54.tinypic.com/219xycx.jpg

Both teams have looked to bait the refs with a lot of flops, but that was by far one of the worst.

Eielson
6/8/2011, 12:33 PM
Classic wide receiver move: running with it before you have it. Another Heat loss ends with Dwade on the floor.

I'm starting to think that the Heat will lose this series simply because Wade and Lebron can't finish games. If those two finished games as well as they play the rest of it, this may well have been a sweep.

Collier11
6/9/2011, 07:59 PM
Must win for Dallas tonight, anyone who says different is foolish

Scott D
6/9/2011, 08:03 PM
I'm pretty sure jlew has already said that stern has ordered that lebron take no fewer than 25 free throws tonight, so the mavs have no chance to win ;)

SoonerofAlabama
6/9/2011, 08:37 PM
31-30 Heat after 1

Collier11
6/9/2011, 09:29 PM
Good game so far, I still wonder why Lebron is so hesitant to just take over...dont get me wrong, he is playing a good game so far but he needs to be going to the basket against these guys

colleyvillesooner
6/9/2011, 09:45 PM
Good game so far, I still wonder why Lebron is so hesitant to just take over...dont get me wrong, he is playing a good game so far but he needs to be going to the basket against these guys

Mavs are just doubling the crap out of him daring anyone else to beat them with Wade not on the floor. I like the plan.

SoonerofAlabama
6/9/2011, 09:54 PM
Heat 9-0 after trailing at halftime this post-season. Just because Mavs have the lead doesn't mean they close it.

GrapevineSooner
6/9/2011, 10:16 PM
Heat 9-0 after trailing at halftime this post-season. Just because Mavs have the lead doesn't mean they close it.

I thought Miami was the team that had problems closing leads late in games. :D

Afterall, when Dallas finally grabbed a fourth quarter lead on Tuesday, they seemed to be able to close it.

colleyvillesooner
6/9/2011, 10:22 PM
I swear this series is taking at least a year of my life.

GrapevineSooner
6/9/2011, 10:24 PM
One one hand, I'm happy Dallas is playing with a lead in the 4th.

OTOH, Wade's most dangerous when he's in desperation mode.

colleyvillesooner
6/9/2011, 10:29 PM
3 trips, no dirk touches. 5 point lead to 1 point deficit.

GrapevineSooner
6/9/2011, 10:34 PM
Alright guys, FINISH!!!

SoonerofAlabama
6/9/2011, 10:37 PM
Mavs up by 5. over a minute left. James still hasn't scored in the 4th.

GrapevineSooner
6/9/2011, 10:43 PM
I just flew around my living room about 5 times.

SoonerofAlabama
6/9/2011, 10:45 PM
3-2 Mavs. Heat can't close with a lead again. Even with all of the "motivation" they still can't win.

JLEW1818
6/9/2011, 10:50 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/dp7lnl.jpg

GrapevineSooner
6/9/2011, 11:04 PM
And from a schaudenfreude standpoint, these next two off days will be delicious to watch the Miami and national media question LeBron over his performance tonight.

Best thing he can do if he wants to win a ring in this series?

Defer to Wade. Completely.

colleyvillesooner
6/9/2011, 11:05 PM
HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP,

SoonerofAlabama
6/9/2011, 11:21 PM
And from a schaudenfreude standpoint, these next two off days will be delicious to watch the Miami and national media question LeBron over his performance tonight.

Best thing he can do if he wants to win a ring in this series?

Defer to Wade. Completely.

Triple-double is bad now? Okay, whatever. :rolleyes:

colleyvillesooner
6/9/2011, 11:33 PM

Last I checked, a triple double doesn't win the game. Neither does disappearing in the 4th quarter...again.

colleyvillesooner
6/9/2011, 11:34 PM
I would like to know Lebrons stats with Wade in and with Wade out.

jk the sooner fan
6/9/2011, 11:35 PM
knock knock

who's there?

Lebron

lebron who?

exactly!!!

Go Mavs!

colleyvillesooner
6/9/2011, 11:50 PM
Heh

ouleaf
6/10/2011, 12:18 AM
What an amazing game...Clutch shooting all over the floor the final 4 mins or so...Dirk was great, JJ was all over the place, JET was outstanding....Mavs were overdue for a big scoring night, and they really needed it too, b/c the Heat were shooting well too.

One more!!!!

GrapevineSooner
6/10/2011, 12:42 AM

Colley pretty much said the same thing I was going to say.

Yes, he got a triple-double. Barely, with 10 rebounds and 10 assists. And those 17 points

He also got outscored in the 4th by both JJ Barea and Jason Terry.

And he was the only Heat player to shoot below 50% on the night. Hell, he even got outscored by Wade and his bum thigh.

Basically, this was the equivalent of a running back going nuts through 3 quarters in piling up almost 200 yards rushing only to not be able to get the yards in the 4th that his team desperately needs him to get in order to win the game.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/10/2011, 04:04 AM
This game is another reason why Lebron is NO where near Jordan's league. Even D-Wade was attacking the hoop in the 4th quarter but Lebron kept settling for jump shops. Sometimes you just got to take it hard to the rim and create something. Jordan didn't lose games like this because he was a killer out there. He took joy in crushing his opponents. I don't Lebron has that killer instinct that even a Dirk or Wade has..let alone Jordan..

Eielson
6/10/2011, 03:48 PM
Yes, he got a triple-double. Barely

He sucks! :P

JLEW1818
6/10/2011, 04:57 PM
11 points in 5 4th quarter games heh

LOL

colleyvillesooner
6/10/2011, 09:12 PM
When the score is within 5 pts in the final 5 mins of the game, Dirk has scored 26 pts. LeBron? Zero.

Curly Bill
6/10/2011, 10:56 PM
Joke I heard on ESPN Dallas today:

If you ask Lebron James for a dollar, he'll only give you 75 cents. He's never gonna give ya the 4th quarter.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/11/2011, 01:41 AM
I think it is funny when people were saying he was better than Jordan...he isn't even the best player on his team...

tulsaoilerfan
6/11/2011, 10:40 AM

LeBrick averages almost 30 a game during regular season play and has scored 25 points total in games 4 and 5 and looks completely scared to take it to the rim

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/11/2011, 02:27 PM
Drive the ball to the rim..how hard is that? Tyson Chandler is there only force down low since Haywood got hurt...why not try to get him into foul trouble. Wade...bad hip and all was still attacking the front of the rim. Lebron is shooting fall away jumpers over 38 year old point guards who is 4 inches shorter and about 40 pounds lighter.

GrapevineSooner
6/12/2011, 04:29 PM
Neither Rick Carlisle nor Dirk Nowitzki have lost a series when they're within one win of closing out a series.

In fact since the NBA went to a Best of 7 format for all it's series in 2003, the last time Dallas lost a close out game was in 2006 when they blew a 3-1 series lead to San Antonio before winning that in 7.

Since then, they've won consecutive close out games against the Suns in the 2006 WCF, Spurs in the 1st round in 2009, and Portland, Los Angeles, and OKC this year.

yermom
6/12/2011, 07:45 PM
The mavs' passing is nuts tonight.

Nice swing going right now after being down 9

Collier11
6/12/2011, 08:10 PM
another good game although Dirk is struggling and the Heat are having some dumb turnovers

yermom
6/12/2011, 08:28 PM
Dirk is cold as hell. Seems like sitting him early didn't work that well.

SoonerofAlabama
6/12/2011, 08:33 PM
Dirk is doing terrible. Terry doing great. Big Three (especially LeBron) doing very well. Should be a good game.

SoonerofAlabama
6/12/2011, 08:41 PM
Wade just got robbed of a rebound. Heat are slumping already.

MelloYello
6/12/2011, 09:06 PM
ABC is making some awful TV shows.

SoonerofAlabama
6/12/2011, 09:08 PM
What do you mean?

MelloYello
6/12/2011, 09:09 PM
All their new shows look terrible.

SoonerofAlabama
6/12/2011, 09:09 PM
Switched when they went to commercial. What are they?

SoonerofAlabama
6/12/2011, 09:15 PM
Mavs are slipping, yet not completely falling on their faces. Either way, Heat probably won't be able to hold downa lead if they get one.

AlboSooner
6/12/2011, 09:23 PM
LeBron is no where near MJ. I don't know why people dare compare him to MJ.

ouleaf
6/12/2011, 09:51 PM
After all the disappointment, it is totally worth it....Mavs are finally World Champions!

SoonerofAlabama
6/12/2011, 09:51 PM
Well, Mavs win it all. Terry doesn't lose his tattoo. "We ain't done yet" prevails and Dirk wins his first title.

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2011, 10:13 PM
So happy for Dirk.

SoonerofAlabama
6/12/2011, 10:15 PM
Two dogs had their days. Kidd and Dirk.

ouleaf
6/12/2011, 10:18 PM
hakmjXSTtY8

SoonerofAlabama
6/12/2011, 10:39 PM
Hello lockout.

JLEW1818
6/12/2011, 10:40 PM
there is your greatest player in the World Lebron James for you!!!! another great 4th quarter perfomance from him tonight... you stupid worthless ****s that back him... go **** yourself hard and long. you suck at basketball... **** anybody who sides with lebron.. complete garbage... if you ever compare him to MJ again... i will come find you, and fight you.

LEBRON JAMES, YET ANOTHER WORTHLESS PERFORMANCE WHEN IT MATTERS, WITH BUTT BUDDY D-WADE AND BOSH ON HIS SIDE

GO **** YOURSELF LEBRON JAMES FANS

jk the sooner fan
6/12/2011, 10:44 PM
NBA CHAMPION DALLAS MAVERICKS!!!!!!!! WOOT

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2011, 10:51 PM
WOOT!!!!!

GrapevineSooner
6/12/2011, 10:58 PM
I won't lie.

After what happened in 2006, this is the way they had to finally win one. In Miami against the Heat.

Can't tell you how happy I am for Dirk, JET, and Jason Kidd.

And regardless of how you feel about Cubes, that was a classy touch allowing Donald Carter to accept the Larry O'Brien Trophy from David Stern.

Collier11
6/12/2011, 11:26 PM
there is your greatest player in the World Lebron James for you!!!! another great 4th quarter perfomance from him tonight... you stupid worthless ****s that back him... go **** yourself hard and long. you suck at basketball... **** anybody who sides with lebron.. complete garbage... if you ever compare him to MJ again... i will come find you, and fight you.

LEBRON JAMES, YET ANOTHER WORTHLESS PERFORMANCE WHEN IT MATTERS, WITH BUTT BUDDY D-WADE AND BOSH ON HIS SIDE

First of all, when you post stuff like this you look like an idjit Jlew, really. Second, it amazes me that you waste so much energy dogging Lebron cus he is cocky or a "choker" but dont say a word about the wife beater Kidd or the rapist Stevenson...

It amazes me when it comes to sports how clouded some peoples judgment becomes

Collier11
6/12/2011, 11:27 PM
Now that thats cleared up, the Mavs and Dirk deserved this. Dirk just played one of the greatest playoffs start to finish by one player...EVER

Curly Bill
6/12/2011, 11:29 PM
As a Mavs fan #1

and a Thunder fan #1A this has been a good NBA season for me.

SoonerofAlabama
6/12/2011, 11:30 PM
Mavs in 6 as well.

That 06 team didn't how to close. This one does.

Way to call it.

SoonerofAlabama
6/12/2011, 11:31 PM
Mavs in 6

Great call.

Collier11
6/12/2011, 11:32 PM
Mavs in 6

Collier11
6/12/2011, 11:32 PM
Mavs in 6

Great Call :D

SoonerofAlabama
6/12/2011, 11:33 PM
:O

GrapevineSooner
6/12/2011, 11:43 PM
Well, here's another call. :D

Miami won't win a title until they get better presence at the center position. Even in 2006 when Wade almost won the title for Miami all by himself (officiating notwithstanding LOL), they had Shaq and Zo manning that position.

This year, it was Joel Anthony and Juwan Howard?

Perhaps LeBron will decide once and for all that he needs to develop a low post game. Or perhaps, they'll get the necessary upgrades at that position and truly become the monster that the national media thought this team would become this year.

Anyway, enough about them. To quote Pat Riley from 2006, this is "our time."

Collier11
6/12/2011, 11:46 PM
How long til Riley fires Spoelstra and takes over

Curly Bill
6/12/2011, 11:46 PM
How long til Riley fires Spoelstra and takes over

Depends on how things are going at the halfway point next season.

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2011, 11:49 PM
http://i.pgu.me/4aP10F2x_original.jpg

colleyvillesooner
6/13/2011, 12:08 AM
Mavs in 6

Booyah!

What a series. The Mavs lost as the 1 seed (with the best record in the NBA) to Golden State in the week that was my Wedding and Honeymoon. Wife didn't get why I was so pissed. (being my honeymoon, I was over it next next day.;))

Now, she watched every game if the Finals with me tip to buzzer.

So proud of this team. This is second for me next to the 2000 OU Championship.

http://i.pgu.me/ziWptGvi_original.jpg

colleyvillesooner
6/13/2011, 12:12 AM
Perhaps LeBron will decide once and for all that he needs to develop a low post game. Or perhaps, they'll get the necessary upgrades at that position and truly become the monster that the national media thought this team would become this year.

To me this is the key, just like when Dirk learned how to back people down and spin and drive or shoot the one legged fade away. This completed his game. Maybe Lebron should call Holger. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/13/2011, 12:45 AM
GO **** YOURSELF LEBRON JAMES FANSDayum man, just HOW MUCH money did you lose, there?

sooner59
6/13/2011, 02:28 AM
Jlew would never bet on the Heat or Lebron. He actually hates them that much. He is actually being more modest than I thought he would. That being said...heh. Way to go Mavs! They are actually my second favorite team.

yermom
6/13/2011, 06:05 AM

1) your doleo impression is getting pretty good

2) somewhere in Norman, doleo is crying

3) doleo vs. jlew next tailgate :D

i'm just glad i was able to pull for the Mavs over the Heat instead of the Lakers

would have rather seen the Thunder or the Hornets, but oh well. i like Dirk when he's not playing us, and it was nice to see him win one

BigJerm7
6/13/2011, 07:38 AM
as bad as cleveland sucked this year, today has got to be pretty bitter sweet for them.

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2011, 07:56 AM
Lebron should take up hockey - that sport doesnt have a 4th quarter

ouleaf
6/13/2011, 08:32 AM
as bad as cleveland sucked this year, today has got to be pretty bitter sweet for them.

Anyone else see the tweet from Cavs owner Dan Gilbert?

"Congrats Mark C. & the entire Mavs org. Mavs NEVER stopped & now entire franchise gets rings. Old lesson for all: There are NO SHORTCUTS. NONE."

JLEW1818
6/13/2011, 08:43 AM
First of all, when you post stuff like this you look like an idjit Jlew, really. Second, it amazes me that you waste so much energy dogging Lebron cus he is cocky or a "choker" but dont say a word about the wife beater Kidd or the rapist Stevenson...

It amazes me when it comes to sports how clouded some peoples judgment becomes

i am an idiot.

anyways, excuse my bad language last night. just having fun with Lebron. We have been through a lot together.. I've been through like 5 screen names in 4 years on another basketball message board hating on the guy.

I'm safe for another year!!

:D

ouleaf
6/13/2011, 08:50 AM
Well, here's another call. :D

Miami won't win a title until they get better presence at the center position. Even in 2006 when Wade almost won the title for Miami all by himself (officiating notwithstanding LOL), they had Shaq and Zo manning that position.

This year, it was Joel Anthony and Juwan Howard?

Anyway, enough about them. To quote Pat Riley from 2006, this is "our time."

Miami will have their chances again, of that I'm quite sure. They are unfortunately under long term contracts with Miller, Haslem, and Anthony, so I'm not exactly sure how much they'll be able to add. I'm assuming they'll want to try and keep Chalmers around, but I'm not sure they can afford him.

I feel like for them to dump some of those guys and acquire the parts they need they are going to have to take on more bad contracts or give up draft picks year after year.

I just think the Heat have really leveraged themselves so much on the big 3, that I'm not sure they'll ever be able to get really solid depth around them. At this point I think Riley just has to hope those 3 guys can figure out how to play together.

JLEW1818
6/13/2011, 10:18 AM
LOL PLEASE READ THIS

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2011/06/miami_herald_runs_macys_ad_con.php

SoonerofAlabama
6/13/2011, 10:20 AM
They did that when the Heat still needed to win two more games? Wow.

yermom
6/13/2011, 10:37 AM
http://i.pgu.me/4aP10F2x_original.jpg

:D

My Opinion Matters
6/13/2011, 10:54 AM
I'm not a Mavs fan, but it was nice to see Dirk finally get his. A classy guy that worked his *** off to get the monkey off his back. There's a lot chatter about where Dirk ranks historically now; for me, this elevates him above Barkley and Malone. He's undoubtedly a top 20 guy.

Lebron's a great player, sure, but he should never be mentioned alongside MJ ever, ever again. Lebron is some sort of weird Pippen/Webber hybrid. He certainly shares C-Webb's proclivity to wilt under pressure.

sooner59
6/13/2011, 12:59 PM
Barkely said Dirk is the greatest foreign player in NBA history. May be true. I can't think of a better one off the top of my head.

nighttrain12
6/13/2011, 01:07 PM
Anyone else see the tweet from Cavs owner Dan Gilbert?

"Congrats Mark C. & the entire Mavs org. Mavs NEVER stopped & now entire franchise gets rings. Old lesson for all: There are NO SHORTCUTS. NONE."

So Mr. Gilbert, how many games did your team win this season? Hmmmmmm!

JLEW1818
they still beat the Heat

it was funny

GrapevineSooner
Barkely said Dirk is the greatest foreign player in NBA history. May be true. I can't think of a better one off the top of my head.

I suppose you could make an argument for Manu.

or Tim Duncan if the Virgin Islands are considered foreign to you. :D

Eielson
6/13/2011, 01:32 PM
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en_fuego/files/2010/05/hakeem-olajuwon.jpg

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2011, 02:32 PM
Cuban is going to pay for the parade, because he doesnt believe the city should have to foot the bill for that

classy move imo......

Eielson
6/13/2011, 04:25 PM
Cuban is going to pay for the parade, because he doesnt believe the city should have to foot the bill for that

classy move imo......

+5 innerweb points for using "classy" and "Cuban" in the same post. Would have gotten 10 if it were in the same sentence.

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2011, 04:33 PM
he certainly has his moments that most Mavs fans regret

but he's done A LOT for the wounded warrior project, and is widely recognized as a favorite owner by many of the NBA players

sooner59
6/13/2011, 04:57 PM
+5 innerweb points for using "classy" and "Cuban" in the same post. Would have gotten 10 if it were in the same sentence.

Well, I will go ahead and say Mark Cuban made a very classy move at the trophy ceremony by letting them present it to the founder and original owner of the Mavericks. He was the old guy with the cowboy hat on. That made that old man so happy, you could tell. Good move by Cuban, IMO.

sooner59
6/13/2011, 05:11 PM
I suppose you could make an argument for Manu.

or Tim Duncan if the Virgin Islands are considered foreign to you. :D

Manu isn't on the Dirk level, IMO. He is a star but not a superstar. You could argue Tim Duncan and (H)akeem Olajuwan. I guess Duncan is technically American since he is from the U.S. Virgin Islands and not the British. Basically foreign to me. Hard to pick between them.

True Hakeem has two rings and tons of spots in the record books and Duncan has four rings and tons of spots in the record books, but Dirk is up there with them in ability for respected position. I don't know who would be the best, but he is definitely up there on the same level. I never cared for Duncan but he may be the best, even if he did have the Admiral on his team for a while and Manu, who is one of the best foreign players and probably the best 6th man in the league. Tony Parker isn't bad either. Dirk has had Terry for a while, but the other casts have changed. Hakeem had Drexler, Cassell, Kenny Smith, and Horry (Big Shot Bob).

Beats me. Good conversation piece, though.

My Opinion Matters
6/13/2011, 05:17 PM
Olajuwon > Duncan > Nowitzki.

GrapevineSooner
6/13/2011, 05:33 PM
Manu isn't on the Dirk level, IMO. He is a star but not a superstar. You could argue Tim Duncan and (H)akeem Olajuwan. I guess Duncan is technically American since he is from the U.S. Virgin Islands and not the British. Basically foreign to me. Hard to pick between them.

True Hakeem has two rings and tons of spots in the record books and Duncan has four rings and tons of spots in the record books, but Dirk is up there with them in ability for respected position. I don't know who would be the best, but he is definitely up there on the same level. I never cared for Duncan but he may be the best, even if he did have the Admiral on his team for a while and Manu, who is one of the best foreign players and probably the best 6th man in the league. Tony Parker isn't bad either. Dirk has had Terry for a while, but the other casts have changed. Hakeem had Drexler, Cassell, Kenny Smith, and Horry (Big Shot Bob).

Beats me. Good conversation piece, though.

It's probably Hakeem in this debate. And it's a no brainer at least unless/until Dirk gets a 2nd title.

I know he won his two titles when Michael was retired/playing baseball/then unretired in the middle of the 1994-95 season.

But he won them.

And that 1995 run was memorable because of the way he completely dominated David Robinson in the Western Conference Finals then swept through Shaq and the Magic.

6/13/2011, 05:56 PM

classy move imo......What's a $million or so to him, anyway?

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2011, 05:58 PM
What's a $million or so to him, anyway?

its a million or so that the taxpayers dont have to foot the bill for

6/13/2011, 06:14 PM
its a million or so that the taxpayers dont have to foot the bill forWhat WILL the city of Dallas spend it on?

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2011, 06:59 PM
What WILL the city of Dallas spend it on?

jeebus you are dense

6/13/2011, 08:09 PM
jeebus you are denseand, just when I was about to think you weren't such a hateful SOB, I have to consider that you may be the biggest jerk on this board, and that's saying a lot. Either that, or you are CONSIDERABLY denser than I formerly gave you credit for.

Collier11
6/13/2011, 08:15 PM
Jlew has the biggest boner he could possibly humanly have

Collier11
6/13/2011, 08:17 PM
The Heat had a better season than any team in the NBA except one and they did it when many thought Boston and Orlando were better this year, lets be realistic, the Mavs were just tougher but the Heat were still really good

Curly Bill
6/13/2011, 08:20 PM
This wasn't the disaster for the Heat some are making it out to be, but since I do hate LeBron and the Heat, I have a boner as well. :D

Collier11
6/13/2011, 08:25 PM
yall should sword fight

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2011, 08:25 PM
and, just when I was about to think you weren't such a hateful SOB, I have to consider that you may be the biggest jerk on this board, and that's saying a lot. Either that, or you are CONSIDERABLY denser than I formerly gave you credit for.

oh i'm sorry, did i hurt your feelers?

IDGAS

Curly Bill
6/13/2011, 08:26 PM
yall should sword fight

And get arrested for assault with a deadly weapon? I don't think so. :P

Collier11
6/13/2011, 08:35 PM
those swords that they use for olives in drinks are sharp :D

Curly Bill
6/13/2011, 08:36 PM
those swords that they use for olives in drinks are sharp :D

Have ya seen Braveheart? :D

JLEW1818
6/13/2011, 09:03 PM
Lebron James's scoring average fell from 26.7 points per game during the regular season to 17.8 during the Finals.

LeBron's scoring decline, by 8.9 points, was the largest such decline by any 25-point scorer in NBA history.

100% choke

or he was paid by vegas people

Collier11
6/13/2011, 09:19 PM
guess you missed the constant double teams, the Mavs were forcing the ball out of his hands a lot of the time

My Opinion Matters
6/13/2011, 09:33 PM
The only thing funnier than Lebron haters are Lebron apologists. The dude is soft. That's all there is to it.

Eielson
6/13/2011, 09:53 PM
The season wasn't a failure for the Heat, but the finals were definitely a failure for Lebron.

Eielson
6/13/2011, 09:56 PM
Also, Kidd career>Nash career now.

Collier11
6/13/2011, 10:15 PM
The only thing funnier than Lebron haters are Lebron apologists. The dude is soft. That's all there is to it.

Hope you arent mistaking me for a Lebron apologist, I think he sucked in the finals and didnt play his game at all...I just think the Lebron haters are way out of bounds. The Heat wouldnt have made the finals without him

Collier11
6/13/2011, 10:15 PM

Kidd has always been better IMO because he could play D

tommieharris91
6/13/2011, 10:19 PM
http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2011/06/miami_herald_runs_macys_ad_con.php

Curly Bill
6/13/2011, 10:37 PM

This was true even before Sunday night, and it's not close.

Eielson
6/13/2011, 10:55 PM
I've always felt Kidd was the better PG, but some people, such as skull, have a hard on for Nash.

6/14/2011, 01:18 AM
oh i'm sorry, did i hurt your feelers?

IDGASNo, you just grossly misconstrued something, and didn't even consider that you did. Then you showed your true, nasty self again. Sorry to have treated you so well, fool.

Eielson
6/14/2011, 01:48 AM
We've gotten off track. Let's get back to making fun of Lebron.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/14/2011, 01:57 AM
guess you missed the constant double teams, the Mavs were forcing the ball out of his hands a lot of the time

Well if you are "King" James...you make it happen. Do you think teams didn't try to force the ball out of Jordan's hands. Not to mention Jordan was attacking Xavier McDaniel, Ewing, and Oakley or Anthony, Dale Davis, or Smits who all would plant your ***. Let's face it, you are heading to the front of the rim, do you want Oakley down there or Haywood/Dirk/Chandler. Jordan would have ate those three for breakfast.

jk the sooner fan
6/14/2011, 07:12 AM
Dirk got double teamed just as much - he didnt disappear in the 4th quarter

Eielson
6/14/2011, 11:34 AM
Lebron>Dirk. As much as I love to make fun of Lebron's disappointing series, we were seriously making fun of the guy for "only" getting a triple-double. By the time Lebron is 33, he's gonna have a ring. Dirk was even more of a loser than Lebron is a month ago.

JLEW1818
6/14/2011, 11:43 AM
Dirk won as the #1 guy

I don't see Lebron ever being the #1 guy and winning a ring.

The fact that Dirk won without another superstar is amazing.. Nobody can say well, dirk only has rings with "this player"

Sure Jet played great, and Kidd is getting older

pretty amazing stuff honestly.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/14/2011, 11:46 AM
Before you say Lebron trumps Dirk...It is a minute to go...you are down 2....Do you want Dirk or Lebron? Hell I would rather have Steve Kerr in that situation than Lebron...

My Opinion Matters
6/14/2011, 11:59 AM
Yeah, right now you just can't say Lebron > Dirk. By the end of Lebron's career? Maybe. I would even say probably; but Lebron is nothing more than this generation's Chris Webber at this point.

Eielson
6/14/2011, 12:04 PM
Before you say Lebron trumps Dirk...It is a minute to go...you are down 2....Do you want Dirk or Lebron? Hell I would rather have Steve Kerr in that situation than Lebron...

Offensive side? Definitely Dirk.
Defensive side? Definitely Lebron.
First 46 minutes? Definitely Lebron.

jk the sooner fan
6/14/2011, 12:12 PM
Dirk won as the #1 guy

I don't see Lebron ever being the #1 guy and winning a ring.

The fact that Dirk won without another superstar is amazing.. Nobody can say well, dirk only has rings with "this player"

Sure Jet played great, and Kidd is getting older

pretty amazing stuff honestly.

yep - i think if you polled all Mavs fans you'd have a hard time establishing a consensus #2 player on the Mavs team

JET most likely leads that but i dont think its a slam dunk

Lebron may have more talent and be more athletic - with more potential - but Dirk stayed with the team he's been with - rather than jumping ship to a "dream team"

i dont care whether Lebron>Dirk or whatever......Dirk has a Championship ....Ledone does not

ouleaf
6/14/2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah, right now you just can't say Lebron > Dirk. By the end of Lebron's career? Maybe. I would even say probably; but Lebron is nothing more than this generation's Chris Webber at this point.

Webber?

Not sure how you are coming to that low of a bar. Webber was a great player over about a 5 years span before his knees blew up on him. He never won an MVP and only made All NBA 1st team one time in his career?

Seems like a similar comparison for LeBron might be more Garnett, sort of. He was isolated in a smaller market town for many years, unable to get the right pieces around him while still being one of the best players in the league, earning an MVP in the process. Eventually traded to a big market team, joining multiple future HOFers. Only difference was Garnett was able to win his title in year one w/his new team.

Edit: Other glaring difference was Garnett was traded, where as LeBron was free agent.

My Opinion Matters
6/14/2011, 12:21 PM
Webber?

Not sure how you are coming to that low of a bar. Webber was a great player over about a 5 years span before his knees blew up on him. He never won an MVP and only made All NBA 1st team one time in his career?

Seems like a similar comparison for LeBron might be more Garnett, sort off. He was isolated in a smaller market town for many years, unable to get the right pieces around him while still being one of the best players in the league, earning an MVP in the process. Eventually traded to a big market team, joining multiple future HOFers. Only difference was Garnett was able to win his title in year one w/his new team.

They've got similar games and similar ability to fold/disappear under pressure is all I meant. Lebron's undoubtedly more talented, but Webber was no slouch. I think I said it previously in this thread, but if Scottie Pippen and Chris Webber had a baby it would be named Lebron James.

Eielson
6/14/2011, 12:33 PM

Are you really going to use the winning card in this? You do realize the guy you're defending is Dirk, right? A month ago, this guy made Webber look like a winner. If you wanna really make fun of him, maybe you should call him this decade's Dirk. That might be a bit strong of an insult, though, seeing as Lebron has two conference championships, while at this point, Dirk still wouldn't have one.

The reason everybody sees Dirk as a stud, and Lebron as a dud, is who they are being compared to. Lebron is being compared to Jordan, and Nowitzki is being compared to Manu.

ouleaf
6/14/2011, 12:44 PM
Who can you really compare Dirk to? I say nobody. He really is in a class of his own. No one has ever played the game like he has at his position. He truly is one of a kind.

What is really great about him is that all he wants to do is be a basketball player. He doesn't get tied up in building/promoting his name or brand or cutting endorsement deals. All he cares about is playing to win for his team, coaches, fans, and owners. He's never really had an agent, and pretty much negotiated his own deals. He realized that if he puts in the work, and puts his trust in the right people, money will never be a problem.

My Opinion Matters
6/14/2011, 12:48 PM
Are you really going to use the winning card in this? Um, yes? What else is there? This is SoonerFans, not OrangePower. You're judged here by championships, not by meaningless stats and unfulfilled talent.

You do realize the guy you're defending is Dirk, right? A month ago, this guy made Webber look like a winner. If you wanna really make fun of him, maybe you should call him this decade's Dirk. That might be a bit strong of an insult, though, seeing as Lebron has two conference championships, while at this point, Dirk still wouldn't have one.

This is an incredibly weak argument. The last month of basketball happened. Your argument is we should pretend that it didn't?

The reason everybody sees Dirk as a stud, and Lebron as a dud, is who they are being compared to. Lebron is being compared to Jordan, and Nowitzki is being compared to Manu.

I don't know if I've heard many comparisons between Manu and Dirk. I certainly haven't made any. I've compared Dirk to Barkley and Malone, both of which he is superior to now imo.

Eielson
6/14/2011, 01:12 PM
Um, yes? What else is there? This is SoonerFans, not OrangePower. You're judged here by championships, not by meaningless stats and unfulfilled talent.

Don't just pick and choose sentences in the middle of a thought. Using the winning card has some value...calling Dirk a winner is laughable.

This is an incredibly weak argument. The last month of basketball happened. Your argument is we should pretend that it didn't?

So you're saying that Dirk is a better player now than he was a month ago? If you don't see the problem with that idea, this discussion can't go far.

I don't know if I've heard many comparisons between Manu and Dirk. I certainly haven't made any. I've compared Dirk to Barkley and Malone, both of which he is superior to now imo.

Best European basketball player discussions.

jk the sooner fan
6/14/2011, 01:15 PM
if Dirk isnt a winner - then what is he?

My Opinion Matters
6/14/2011, 01:15 PM
Don't just pick and choose sentences in the middle of a thought. Using the winning card has some value...calling Dirk a winner is laughable.

So you're saying that Dirk is a better player now than he was a month ago? If you don't see the problem with that idea, this discussion can't go far.

Best European basketball player discussions.

Yes, championships matter. This is not a revolutionary concept.

Curly Bill
6/14/2011, 02:43 PM
calling Dirk a winner is laughable.

So...what the hell happened Sunday night then? If winning the NBA Championship doesn't make someone a winner, then I'd be fascinated to hear what your criteria is for that. :O

BigJerm7
6/14/2011, 03:31 PM
Dallas was horrible when Dirk got there. He didn't give up after a few years to go somewhere else to win.

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/14/2011, 04:16 PM
Best European basketball player discussions.[/QUOTE]

Manu isnt even a European player, and has never, that I have heard, has Dirk been compared to Manu. The players hes drawn most comparison too are Malone and Bird. Both of which are bad comparisons because Dirk is just too unique of a player. Lebron is far more talented, athletic, blah blah blah, but at the end of the day, Dirk won a championship without any other superstars and Lebron couldnt win one with 2 other superstars. At this point in NBA history, there is no doubt that Dirk is a greater player. That could easily change in the future though, and I think it will.

Eielson
6/14/2011, 04:22 PM
Manu isnt even a European player

Foreign players. :O

I was just trying to have Nigeria not included.

sooner59
6/14/2011, 04:28 PM
If Miami had Dirk instead of Lebron and Dallas had Lebron instead of Dirk, who would have won the series?

Eielson
6/14/2011, 05:04 PM
So...what the hell happened Sunday night then? If winning the NBA Championship doesn't make someone a winner, then I'd be fascinated to hear what your criteria is for that. :O

Dirk's teams have choked more than any other superstar's currently in the league. Just because he was able to sneak in and win one when all the dominant teams of the era were old and on their decline doesn't make him a winner. The guy was on a team that went 67-15 in the regular season...one of the all-time best regular season records...and lost in 6 games to an 8 seed. Did you guys forget this? You guys crucify Lebron for losing to Boston, a team that had 3 HOFers on it and lost in a close game 7 of the NBA Finals, yet you want to let Dirk's mishaps slip?

When Lebron has a sub-par (although great by just about any other player's standards) game, everybody hops all over him. This is because he has the talent to be the greatest ever. When Dirk has these sub-par games, nobody bats an eye. It's because he's not the greatest, doesn't have a chance at becoming the greatest, and isn't even ONE of the greatest ever. He's just really, really good.

So tell me, if Dirk is so much better than Lebron, then why is it that all you guys here hold Lebron to a higher standard? Why didn't you guys hop all over Dirk after his poor performance in game 1's loss? Why are you guys still obsessed with Lebron's superstar teammates when Dirk's teammates carried them to victory despite Dirk's poor performance Sunday night? What about his absolutely horrendous game in the WCF where he managed a 0.6 game score [for reference, the lowest Lebron's game score has gotten over the last three seasons (regular season and playoffs) is 5.3...and that looks pretty good in comparison] and his team still won?

jk the sooner fan
6/14/2011, 05:05 PM
you're an idiot

jk the sooner fan
6/14/2011, 05:11 PM
you're an idiot

or a spurs fan who has his feelers hurt that your team didnt win and the Mavs did

My Opinion Matters
6/14/2011, 05:12 PM
or a spurs fan who has his feelers hurt that your team didnt win and the Mavs did

*Lakers fan. Even worse.

jk the sooner fan
6/14/2011, 05:14 PM
same diff - so his team got swept and he has his hater glasses on

:rolleyes:

Eielson
6/14/2011, 05:14 PM
you're an idiot

Ad hominem. Cute.

My Opinion Matters
6/14/2011, 05:16 PM
same diff - so his team got swept and he has his hater glasses on

:rolleyes:

Spurs fans > rapists > Lakers fans.

jk the sooner fan
6/14/2011, 05:19 PM
Ad hominem. Cute.

yes, but sometimes the truth is cute

sooner59
6/14/2011, 05:26 PM
If Miami had Dirk instead of Lebron and Dallas had Lebron instead of Dirk, who would have won the series?

Bump. :pop:

My Opinion Matters
6/14/2011, 05:34 PM
Bump. :pop:

Haven't you heard? Winning the title doesn't matter. It's just getting there that matters. Or something like that.

sooner59
6/14/2011, 05:38 PM
Well then Dirk needs credit for getting to the title back in 05 or 06, whenever it was. :D

Eielson
6/14/2011, 09:43 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/2vis45y.png

28 playoff wins in 34 years without him
42 playoff wins 7 years with him

Take note of the records immediately before he came and immediately after he left. Like it or not, we're watching one of the greatest ever.

yermom
6/14/2011, 09:48 PM
yeah, but he could make the finals and lose playing in Cleveland, so why did he need to go to Miami?

Eielson
6/14/2011, 10:01 PM
yeah, but he could make the finals and lose playing in Cleveland, so why did he need to go to Miami?

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the man, and I loved seeing the Heat fail, but there isn't a better player in the NBA. This was just their first year together. They improved a lot over the year, and I'm hoping to not be right, but I'm confident they aren't done getting better.

Collier11
6/15/2011, 12:13 AM
no one picked them to go to the finals this year, or very few

sooner59
6/15/2011, 02:08 AM
I did. I actually thought they would win. I didn't see Dallas making it, but I was wrong.

SoonerofAlabama
6/15/2011, 01:44 PM
Heard a new one yesterday. The only difference between Kim Kardashian and LeBron James is that Kim Kardashiam actually got a ring this year.

JLEW1818
6/15/2011, 02:14 PM
my pre/post pick was Lakers over Boston.

Eielson
6/15/2011, 02:22 PM
Heard a new one yesterday. The only difference between Kim Kardashian and LeBron James is that Kim Kardashiam actually got a ring this year.

If you can't find any other differences between the two, then I'm a little worried about you. :O

SoonerofAlabama
6/15/2011, 10:43 PM
If you watch Letterman, Mavericks are doing the top 10 tonight.

ouleaf
6/16/2011, 09:52 AM
If you watch Letterman, Mavericks are doing the top 10 tonight.

Saw it...not a very good list IMO

JLEW1818
6/16/2011, 10:01 AM
nobody is bigger than Letterman

Eielson
6/16/2011, 11:32 AM
Letterman sucks.

SoonerofAlabama
6/16/2011, 11:34 AM
I watched his show for a little while, but he isn't funny. Now I watch Conan instead.

texaspokieokie
7/13/2011, 09:46 AM
Not on a school nite.