PDA

View Full Version : BCS will consider vacating USC's '04 title

NorCal Sooner
5/26/2011, 06:53 PM
BCS will consider vacating USC's '04 title
By The Associated Press
Thursday, May 26, 2011
(05-26) 16:03 PDT , (AP) --

Now that the NCAA has denied Southern California's appeal to reduce sanctions imposed on its football program, Bowl Championship Series officials will consider whether to strip the Trojans of their 2004 title.

BCS executive director Bill Hancock says there is no timetable for that decision, but he expected it to happen "sooner, rather than later."

The championship would be left vacant and not awarded to another team.

USC won the 2004 national championship by beating Oklahoma 55-19 in the Orange Bowl to complete a perfect season. The NCAA later ruled Trojans star Reggie Bush had received improper benefits and was ineligible for that season.

Auburn and Utah also finished the '04 season unbeaten.

The AP will not vacate the championship it awarded USC for 2004.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/05/26/sports/s160315D13.DTL

BajaOklahoma
5/26/2011, 08:16 PM
So we can pretend it didn't happen? I'm good with that.

lexsooner
5/26/2011, 08:47 PM
Well, OU is still credited with a loss, while USC's win and title are vacated. It does seem silly that a team with an official 0-0 record gets to keep its AP national title.

85sooners
5/26/2011, 08:52 PM
F suc

goingoneight
5/26/2011, 09:12 PM
Two things stand out as frustrating to me about this.

One... it will always be TGOWWDNS. That was flat-out the most embarassing throwing of the towel I've seen in the Stoops era. No way were we THAT MUCH WORSE than USC. Would we go onto lose that game? Probably so... but we were the antithesis of the team that played in that game just four years prior to.

and two... Reggie Bush wasn't the only reason USC got hammered.

BoulderSooner79
5/26/2011, 09:37 PM
...No way were we THAT MUCH WORSE than USC. Would we go onto lose that game? Probably so...

No way were we that inferior to USC or any other team - it was just a cascade failure situation. It was painful to watch, but I do understand why it happens. A similar game during the regular season would not be nearly as lopsided on the scoreboard because the motivations are so different. Usually, once a game has been for all purposes decided, both teams just want to get it over with drain the clock. The losing team players fight their asses off to avoid punishment in practice or being benched the next game. In a title game, there is no next practice or even a next season for many players and all that matters is winning and not playing for pride. Conversely, the winning team wants the moment to last forever and every player wants their chance in the spotlight. They are not worried about resting for next week or avoiding injuries as they would during the season. Drubbings have happened like this even in Super Bowls with pro players (although not recently).

But this 'TGOWWDNS' or whatever is used here has gotten old. That game is an important part of the program history and certainly Stoops legacy. Many programs have spiraled after such events, but OU under Stoops has remained strong and fielded elite teams since then. Something to be proud of.

SoonerofAlabama
5/26/2011, 10:28 PM
Either way, I don't want to remember it.

BlackwellSooner
5/26/2011, 10:33 PM
TGOWWDNS??? Translate, please.

Salt City Sooner
5/26/2011, 10:36 PM
The Game Of Which We Do Not Speak

SoonerofAlabama
5/26/2011, 10:39 PM

Just a question. What were the the exact charges that USC got and who else got in trouble?

BoulderSooner79
5/26/2011, 10:52 PM
The Game Of Which We Do Now Speak (if we have to)

BlackwellSooner
5/26/2011, 11:03 PM
Yeah, that game will live in infamy, at least as far as I'm concerned. I was SO certain that we would do well, even thought we'd win it. My first and only time that I made it to a BCS bowl game.

Devastating. Disappointing. Damned long plane trip home!

mgsooner
5/26/2011, 11:07 PM
Spent a lot of GD money on a trip to that hell hole to leave with 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

SteelClip49
5/26/2011, 11:09 PM
Well, OU is still credited with a loss, while USC's win and title are vacated. It does seem silly that a team with an official 0-0 record gets to keep its AP national title.

Actually, USC gets credit for an 11-0 record in 2004. The wins over UCLA and OU are vacated.

FirstAndGoalOU
5/26/2011, 11:44 PM
Yeah, that game will live in infamy, at least as far as I'm concerned. I was SO certain that we would do well, even thought we'd win it. My first and only time that I made it to a BCS bowl game.

Devastating. Disappointing. Damned long plane trip home!
This, .............Miami, beach, great hotel and food, night life before the game.
OU sponsored flight and hotel package etc.,
The bus ride back to the hotel, and the flight back to OKC..Total silence! we all just looked at one another in disbelief. Then greeted upon arrival at OKC airport, a F****** ice storm.

Sooner_Tuf
5/27/2011, 12:12 AM
On that particular night they were that much better than we there. The way we played I'm surprised the score was as close as it was.

WA. Sooner
5/27/2011, 03:28 AM
equipment manager should be fire after that game. Never seen so many players sliding around with no snow

badger
5/27/2011, 10:07 AM
It's already the game that doesn't exist. So whatever

SoonerNomad
5/27/2011, 11:03 AM
I know most of you don't want to remember but things still stand out to me:

1. We scored on first possession
2. Bradley trying to grab the punt inside the five
3. Their tight end looking like Kellen Winslow Sr.
4. Only time other than against BYU under Schnellenberger that I thought an OU team quit.

5. The final score. I remember it every time I see some clown in an 'SC shirt. Every time.

cvsooner
5/27/2011, 11:23 AM
Yep, first possession we looked great. Much of the first quarter. Then Bradley commits his brainfart...

To me, the key in that game was we were determined to stop Reggie Bush, and we did. We apparently decided to force Leinart to beat us with his arm. And boy, did he ever. Phenomenal performance.

Meanwhile, USC absolutely shut down AD, and forced us to beat them through the air. We didn't get it done. After a while it was just pointless.

SoonerPride
5/27/2011, 01:38 PM
4. Only time other than against BYU under that old drunk that I thought an OU team quit.

I think the BYU game in the Copper Bowl was coached by Gibbs.

And yeah they quit.

**1994 Copper Bowl | BYU 31, Oklahoma 6
After completing its worst regular season in 30 years and playing under a head coach who had resigned, Oklahoma ended its season with a dismal 31-6 loss. OU's defense surrendered 485 yards and four touchdowns through the air. BYU's John Walsh set Copper Bowl records for completions (31) and TD passes (4). Sooner linebacker Broderick Simpson was Defensive Player of the Game with 13 tackles, a sack and a pass breakup.

MyT Oklahoma
5/27/2011, 01:55 PM
All I can recall today is that I sat through the entire thing.

I'm a man. I an over 40 and I sat through the entire thing.

StoopTroup
5/27/2011, 02:41 PM
Two things stand out as frustrating to me about this.

One... it will always be TGOWWDNS. That was flat-out the most embarassing throwing of the towel I've seen in the Stoops era. No way were we THAT MUCH WORSE than USC. Would we go onto lose that game? Probably so... but we were the antithesis of the team that played in that game just four years prior to.

I think you should really consider forgetting what happened that day. The guys involved on the USC side should be ashamed they were part of such a crooked program. What they did was cheat and they deserve to be chastised if they don't denounce Pete Carroll and the Team mates that were a part of the Whatever it takes/whatever I can get attitudes. USC made College Football look bad.

The AP Totally discredits themselves as they either support the acts by the University, The Coach and the Offending players by continuing to support the idea that they deserved recognition by their poll and evidently by doing this...they do not support the NCAA Decision to take away and discredit USC's performance in 2004.

The NCAA should never consider the AP as a legitimate poll as long as they continue to post USC as a national Champion that year.

It's unfortunate the NCAA moved so slowly on this as they could have stopped that Game from happening....unfortunately...it wasn't about declaring a winner....it was about humiliating OU and Money. The game was played even though it shouldn't have....

It didn't happen. The Red n White Game was more legitimate than the 2004 Orange Bowl.

BoulderSooner79
5/27/2011, 03:14 PM
To me, the key in that game was we were determined to stop Reggie Bush, and we did. We apparently decided to force Leinart to beat us with his arm. And boy, did he ever. Phenomenal performance.

Meanwhile, USC absolutely shut down AD, and forced us to beat them through the air. We didn't get it done. After a while it was just pointless.

You nailed it and this was pretty much how I expected the game to go. I thought if both teams played well, USC would eventually take over and win by 2 scores because we just didn't match up against their passing game. Remember, we pulled Marcus Walker's redshirt the last few games in an act of desperation. It was obvious USC would load the box to limit AD and force us to win through the air and they had the front 7 to do it. I thought the only chance we had was to stop their run game, limit the big plays in their passing game, and for JW to have a career day (and maybe get a turnover break). If we could keep it close (single digit) into the 4th so that AD would still be a factor, the fatigue factor would allow AD to start breaking some long ones. Of course, none of those things happened and AD was no factor by half time. What I didn't expect was their power running game (L. White?) to part our defense like the red sea - that was my biggest disappointment. Bradley's fumble is over-rated, IMO. A 1st quarter mistake that leads to a score will not even phase a championship caliber team - they'll fight back. It was getting beaten in the trenches on both sides of the ball that killed us.

Partial Qualifier
5/27/2011, 03:34 PM
So we can pretend it didn't happen? I'm good with that.

Pretend what didn't happen??

StoopTroup
5/27/2011, 03:36 PM
Anyone still analyzing that game has a serious case of HUTA.

BoulderSooner79
5/27/2011, 03:40 PM
Anyone still analyzing that game has a serious case of HUTA.

*Still*? I thought the gag order just expired and it was ok to start now.

Soonerfan88
5/27/2011, 05:21 PM
I remember that Steve Smith seemed to magically catch anything thrown within 5 yards of him. Leinart wasn't that spectacular, Smith was. Some of his circus catches were unbelievable. I knew after the 2nd one it wouldn't be our night. Unfortunately, I sat through the entire debacle - still haven't left a game before it hits 0:00.

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 12:57 PM
Now he is with the Giants and is getting confused with Steve Smith from the Panthers, who is from LA.

bluedogok
5/28/2011, 09:33 PM

And yeah they quit.
Yes, that old drunk was already named as Gibbs replacement and was up in the TV booth at one point but it was the last game that Gibbs coached. Schnellenberger never coached a bowl game at OU.

yermom
5/28/2011, 10:48 PM
I remember that Steve Smith seemed to magically catch anything thrown within 5 yards of him. Leinart wasn't that spectacular, Smith was. Some of his circus catches were unbelievable. I knew after the 2nd one it wouldn't be our night. Unfortunately, I sat through the entire debacle - still haven't left a game before it hits 0:00.

this. ALL of this.

and i could smack you guys talking about a "long flight home"

i had to drive home with dolemite :mad:

i thought the drive home from NOLA the year before was bad...

the only silver lining in all this is that it really is TGOWWDNS now :D

SoonerofAlabama
5/29/2011, 01:21 PM
I jsut hate how lopsided that game was. I would have hated to lose it either way, but that badly makes it ridiculous. We had all the tools for a national title and we don't even show up.

BoulderSooner79
5/29/2011, 02:05 PM
I jsut hate how lopsided that game was. I would have hated to lose it either way, but that badly makes it ridiculous. We had all the tools for a national title and we don't even show up.

I dunno, I think the LSU game hurt me more. Lose by a point or by a jillion and the other guy hoists the trophy. At least in the 'SC game, I know the better team won; we were a bit better than LSU (IMO, of course).

OUInformant
5/29/2011, 04:56 PM
In my view, USC blatantly cheated, which is probably why they recruited as well as they did at that time.

Moreover, I think Auburn and OU should be considered undefeated that year, though no BCS or AP title should be given.

texaspokieokie
5/30/2011, 09:12 AM
In my view, USC blatantly cheated, which is probably why they recruited as well as they did at that time.

Moreover, I think Auburn and OU should be considered undefeated that year, though no BCS or AP title should be given.

i don't know (or care) how much suc cheated. i do know that they are a highly rated football power, smack dab in the middle of a fertile recruiting area.

i mean, right in LA alone.

Frozen Sooner
5/30/2011, 09:20 AM

And yeah they quit.

Worst regular season in 30 years?

The 1992 season was worse, considering it was 5-4-2 and no bowl.