PDA

View Full Version : I bet The King would love it!

Jacie
5/26/2011, 12:01 PM
Barry Switzer probably doesn't watch South Park but if he tuned in last night, he would endorse the message.

http://guyism.com/sports/video-south-park-takes-aim-at-ncaa.html

sooner59
5/26/2011, 05:18 PM
Haha, I watched that. It was hilarious. Cartman kept referring to student-athletes as slaves. Good episode.

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 10:21 PM
NCAA = National Communists Against Athletics

Memtig14
5/28/2011, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't consider getting a chance to get an education as slavery. (Along with room and board, books etc.)

But that is just me.

Jacie
5/29/2011, 08:51 AM
I wouldn't consider getting a chance to get an education as slavery. (Along with room and board, books etc.)

But that is just me.

You are starting to sound like Cartman . . .

Memtig14
5/29/2011, 11:55 AM
You are starting to sound like Cartman . . .

I thought I sounded more like me.

Nothing "free" in the education you get, you earn every bit of it.

But it seems to be a fair trade, play ball....get the chance to get get an education. It is hard work but there are a lot of perks that go with it.

I detest the NCAA for their hyprocasy of rule enforcement. Their original function was to set rules to protect athletes....i think they have forgotten that.

SoonerofAlabama
5/29/2011, 01:04 PM
I thought I sounded more like me.

Nothing "free" in the education you get, you earn every bit of it.

But it seems to be a fair trade, play ball....get the chance to get get an education. It is hard work but there are a lot of perks that go with it.

I detest the NCAA for their hyprocasy of rule enforcement. Their original function was to set rules to protect athletes....i think they have forgotten that.

I agree. In this fair trade, rarely do athletes really complete their schooling though. They try to be successful in college for two or three years, then they are gone.

JRAM
5/29/2011, 02:49 PM
Anyone that would watch trash like South Park would have to be a little off in the head or just flat-out immature.

Memtig14
5/29/2011, 03:46 PM
..., rarely do athletes really complete their schooling though. They try to be successful in college for two or three years, then they are gone.

I wouldn't say "rarely".

I like the ad (Big XII I think) on TV where they say that 99% of college athletes will go pro in something other than sports. I would bet that the percentage of graduating athletes mirrors the number that finishes their eligibililty and I think that is pretty high.

Memtig14
5/29/2011, 03:47 PM
This is from the AP in 2009.

"The NCAA's latest graduation numbers show nearly four out of five student-athletes earn their diplomas on time, an all-time high, and federal statistics show athletes are still more likely to graduate on time than other students."

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 03:54 PM
What do crack babies have to do with OU players?

SoonerofAlabama
5/30/2011, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't say "rarely".

I like the ad (Big XII I think) on TV where they say that 99% of college athletes will go pro in something other than sports. I would bet that the percentage of graduating athletes mirrors the number that finishes their eligibililty and I think that is pretty high.

Okay, so not rarely. I guess it is one fo those things where you only hear the bad (or the fact that they are going to the NFL) over the good (that they are continuing their education).

SoonerofAlabama
5/30/2011, 09:46 AM
Oh and that ad is just for the NCAA. No specific conference.

OU Adonis
5/30/2011, 09:50 AM

But that is just me.

Can Academic scholarship students take any job outside of school they want?

Can you say the same for Athletic scholarships?

Memtig14
5/30/2011, 10:11 AM
Okay, so not rarely. I guess it is one fo those things where you only hear the bad (or the fact that they are going to the NFL) over the good (that they are continuing their education).

Gotta agree with that. It is a shame but I guess that is human nature.

Memtig14
5/30/2011, 10:26 AM
Can Academic scholarship students take any job outside of school they want?

Can you say the same for Athletic scholarships?

I agree that there are special (even perhaps tougher) financial "conditions" that you have to live by when you are on an athletic scholarship, but slavery hardly describes the life style. And an athlete always has the perogative to take a scholarship or not.

I argue regularly when people say athletes get "free" educations. They earn every penny of it. But it is not a bad life and nobody makes you do it. In lower divisions a lot of kids pay to be able to play ball......and the conditions are not nearly so good.

Memtig14
5/30/2011, 10:27 AM
Oh and that ad is just for the NCAA. No specific conference.

I couldn't remember if it was NCAA or BIG XII.

It seems one of the ads just featured BIG XII scholls though.

Oh well.... I forget a lot bigger things than that these days.

SoonerofAlabama
5/31/2011, 09:13 AM
I don't think so, but I am not sure either. Seems conference commercials would be on with the softball, but I don't remember one.