PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Buckeye: I sold Big Ten rings for cash

JLEW1818
5/26/2011, 10:46 AM
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Former Ohio State wide receiver Ray Small told the school's student newspaper that he sold Big Ten championship rings and other memorabilia for cash and got special car deals as an athlete during his playing days.

The Lantern reported that Small, who played for the Buckeyes from 2006 to 2010, said "everyone was doing it" on the team.

Five Buckeyes players are suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season for selling memorabilia to the owner of a local tattoo parlor. That is considered an improper benefit under NCAA rules. Coach Jim Tressel also is suspended for five games and is under investigation by the NCAA for knowing about his players' involvement and not telling his superiors for more than nine months.

"We had four Big Ten rings. There was enough to go around," Small said.
He added that despite Ohio State's large and proactive NCAA compliance department, most of the student-athletes "don't even think about (NCAA) rules."

Small said he used the money he got to cover his typical costs of living.

"We have apartments, car notes," he said. "So you got things like that and you look around and you're like, 'Well I got (four) of them, I can sell one or two and get some money to pay this rent.' "

He said the biggest advantages came from car dealerships.

"It was definitely the deals on the cars. I don't see why it's a big deal," said Small.
Ohio State is investigating more than 50 transactions between Ohio State athletes and their families and two Columbus auto dealerships.

"They have a lot (of dirt) on everybody," Small said, "cause everybody was doing it."
Small had 61 catches for 659 yards and three touchdowns during his Ohio State career, which was marked by frequent suspensions and discipline. He spent time on the practice squads of the Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota Vikings and Washington Redskins and now has returned to Ohio State to get his degree in sociology.

Small said players went to see Edward Rife at Fine Line Ink tattoo parlor because Rife was an Ohio State fan and gave big discounts. It was the U.S. Attorney's investigation of Rife on federal drug-trafficking charges that led to Ohio State officials finding out about the improper benefits.

Small said the players would have been foolish to turn down the discounted tattoos.

"If you go in and try to get a tattoo, and somebody is like, 'Do you want 50 percent off this tattoo?' You're going to say, 'Heck yeah,' " Small said.

Tressel continually suspended or benched Small during his playing days at Ohio State. One of the team's fastest players, he was seen as the heir apparent to Ted Ginn Jr. after the wide receiver and kick returner went to the NFL. But Small's career was marked by his stay in Tressel's doghouse.

"They explain the rules to you, but as a kid you're not really listening to all of them rules," Small said. "You go out and you just, people show you so much love, you don't even think about the rules. You're just like, 'Ah man, it's cool.' You take it, and next thing you know the NCAA is down your back."

Another former Ohio State player interviewed by The Lantern, defensive back Malcolm Jenkins, said Ohio State told players about NCAA rules, and if the rules were broken, it was the players' fault.

Ohio State spokesman Dan Wallenberg responded: "We educate as best we can and expect student-athletes and staff to follow our messaging and policies."

Former Buckeyes basketball player Mark Titus wrote Tuesday on his blog that the perks within the football program are far from a secret.

"Any OSU student in the past five years could tell you that a lot of the football players drive nice cars," Titus wrote. "You'd have to be blind to not notice it."
Small said there was no shortage of people trying to help Ohio State athletes.

"Everywhere you go, while you're in the process of playing at Ohio State," Small said, "you're going to get a deal every which way."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6592185

StoopTroup
5/26/2011, 10:48 AM
This won't end well.....

Maybe he didn't understand what he was doing...

JLEW1818
5/26/2011, 10:49 AM
LOL it just keeps going on

some of the quotes the kid said are just great

Boomer.....
5/26/2011, 10:50 AM
:les: Death penalty!!!

JLEW1818
5/26/2011, 10:51 AM
i think they are toast

Mad Dog Madsen
5/26/2011, 10:53 AM
He said the biggest advantages came from car dealerships.

That sounds eerily familiar...

NormanPride
5/26/2011, 11:00 AM
Yup, tOSU is done. They'll get it worse than USC most likely. Tressel will have to be a miracle worker to keep his job.

badger
5/26/2011, 11:01 AM
A rant on the Midwest:

You used to have the auto industry, lots of manufacturing jobs, a large, growing population and a lot of influence in the national government as a result.

Your time is over, because your people are no longer just retiring to the sunny South. Your high school and college graduates are finding employment in the sunny South. Your young and aging families alike are leaving your declining employment rates for the sunny South.

You might be able to bribe football prospects to your royal Ohioness, but it won't stop your economy from tanking!

So anyways, just give up. :P

Full disclosure: Badger is from the Midwest and left for the sunny South 10 years ago.

LakeRat
5/26/2011, 11:54 AM
This won't end well.....

Maybe he didn't understand what he was doing...

It may be his way of getting back at Tressel for being in the "doghouse" for all of those years.

yermom
5/26/2011, 12:03 PM
Yup, tOSU is done. They'll get it worse than USC most likely. Tressel will have to be a miracle worker to keep his job.

at least Carroll was smart enough to bail :eek:

mushu405
5/26/2011, 12:06 PM
It may be his way of getting back at Tressel for being in the "doghouse" for all of those years.

My thoughts exactly. This will end badly for the buckeyes. It just takes a couple people to come out with info.

SoonerofAlabama
5/26/2011, 12:08 PM
I don't know who will get it worse: USC or Ohio State, but I do think that Ohio State's blunders will continu to be revealed.

cdlbdd
5/26/2011, 12:15 PM
Not looking forward to the day when we are the subject of this kind of attention.

mushu405
5/26/2011, 12:23 PM
Not looking forward to the day when we are the subject of this kind of attention.

Obviously you havent watched any of ESPN's 30 for 30. There were clear indicators they were hinting towards in the shows of OU and boosters...

badger
5/26/2011, 12:57 PM
Our players are probably also getting a good collection of rings by this point, but the difference between us and tOSU is that our compliance department targets fans as well as players. You can't walk anywhere in Memorial Stadium without seeing a "What is a benefit?" poster near a long concession line.

Our fans know (possibly because we've had past NCAA troubles, yes) that it might endanger eligibility and our winning records if we start sending birthday gifts, give parents jobs or loan cars to players or whatever. Now, the closest our fans have come to an NCAA violation recently was collecting funeral donations for the family of a player committed to OU (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2007-08-29/sooners-want-ncaa-waiver-funeral-costs?story-topic-NCAAF=NHL). And the NCAA waived it, so there was no violation :)

SoonerDood
5/26/2011, 01:08 PM
Ohio State= Carl
NCAA= Hand Banana

soonerboy_odanorth
5/26/2011, 01:29 PM
Full disclosure: Badger is from the Midwest and left for the sunny South 10 years ago. Yet Badger still smells like stale yellow cheese with green mold.

:D

badger
5/26/2011, 01:29 PM
It might be time for the NCAA to limit how much a school can give an athlete till their eligibility is exhausted. Either have the school hold memorabilia till they're gone or limit how much you can spend on stuff like rings.

I've got next year's Big Ten rings right here!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-2HQR915XiA/TKJ-DMHn7AI/AAAAAAAAAEM/fiYYBT4yFW4/s1600/Ring+Pops.jpg

Scott D
5/26/2011, 02:38 PM
I'll tell you what is the best part of this whole thing

There's wording in Tressel's contract that he has to be truthful and forthcoming to the University in regards to violations. So, pretty much they can fire him and not owe him a dime if they get slammed by the NCAA.

NormanPride
5/26/2011, 02:42 PM
:D
No, actually she smells like wheat and cherries. Not fake cherries, real ones off the tree.

EatLeadCommie
5/26/2011, 02:53 PM
Obviously you havent watched any of ESPN's 30 for 30. There were clear indicators they were hinting towards in the shows of OU and boosters...

You mean in the Marcus Dupree episode? That stuff was 30 years ago, and Marcus denied the story about the doublewide.

But yeah, any big program is going to have problems keeping its boosters and athletes in line. All it takes is one.

Canyonero
5/26/2011, 03:24 PM
Ohio State= Carl
NCAA= Hand Banana

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/canyonero/1185421530773.jpg

CBUS_SOONER
5/26/2011, 04:30 PM
I love it!!!!!!!! THE bottom line is that THE media controls everything and if THEo$u doesn't fire THE ve$t, people will keep THE digging. I hope THE keeps him and they get THE death penalty. THE $uckeye fans have been extremely quiet. Its been kinda nice living in Columbu$ Fuk THE

badger
5/26/2011, 04:57 PM
I can tell you're a poor Sooner stuck in Buckeye country. Hear one too many references to THE ohio state university, have we? :P

CBUS_SOONER
5/26/2011, 06:16 PM
I appreciate your support and sympathy. Gosh I hate it here...except now, its actually quite enjoyable

OUInformant
5/26/2011, 08:03 PM
I don't think I'd ever sell a Big 10 Title ring, even if I won four.

This guy talked about paying rent, but what about the gas for his gas guzzlin' SUV? Insurance? Not sure I'd be driving that around if I can barely afford rent. Anyways, I doubt these guys sell their rings for rent money unless they spend everything else they have on gas, cell phones, and tattoos.

mushu405
5/27/2011, 12:12 PM
You mean in the Marcus Dupree episode? That stuff was 30 years ago, and Marcus denied the story about the doublewide.

But yeah, any big program is going to have problems keeping its boosters and athletes in line. All it takes is one.

Yes it was 30 years ago but it just takes a couple of players or people to start a snowball effect.

Flagstaffsooner
5/27/2011, 12:31 PM
I just hope that OU has reighned in the other auto dealership, Jackie Cooper.

MyT Oklahoma
5/27/2011, 12:39 PM
:pop:

fwsooner22
5/27/2011, 01:01 PM
It happens everywhere except of course **. Cuz it's such and honor to be there nobody wants any perks.

badger
5/27/2011, 01:08 PM
I don't think I'd ever sell a Big 10 Title ring, even if I won four.

Can't say that I wouldn't sell some memorabilia if given the chance. I used to sell back used textbooks for a fraction of what the original price was, just to get any cash I could.

Some of the stuff tOSU showers on their players - like gold pants (seriously, what teenage or early-20-something male athlete wants to wear gold pants around his neck) is pretty excessive and ridiculous.

Now, if it was a matter of staying eligible and knowing I'd get caught, I'd probably think twice.

SoonerofAlabama
5/27/2011, 01:10 PM
What is the origin of the Gold Pants for beating Michigan?

badger
5/27/2011, 01:23 PM
What is the origin of the Gold Pants for beating Michigan?

A gold miniature charm depicting a pair of football pants is given to all players and coaches following a victory over the Michigan Wolverines. The tradition began as the result of a comment to reporters by newly hired head coach Francis Schmidt on March 2, 1934: "How about Michigan? They put their pants on one leg at a time, the same as we do!" The first gold pants, which were a creation of Simon Lazarus (president of the Lazarus chain of department stores) and Herbert Levy,[26] were awarded that year for a 34-0 defeat of the Wolverines

According to this (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3244965), they are withholding the pants (sophomoric humor in there somewhere) from the 2010 victory, which was their seventh-straight over Meat Chicken, because of the NCAA investigation. They are also considering not giving out pants (hehehehehehelolololololol... ok i'll stop) until the players graduate, at which time they are free from NCAA rules that ban them from selling memorabilia.

I really think this problem stems from the fact that tOSU has sh1tloads of money and as a result, gives out a sh1tload of stuff to their athletes. No wonder the athletes sell stuff. It's expendable! Oh noes, no gold pants! Well, good thing they gave me my bowl jersey, all of these trophies, rings and a ton of other Ohio State crap! let's go get tattoos to celebrate! No cash? Good thing the artist accepts championship rings as payment :P

Flagstaffsooner
5/27/2011, 01:25 PM
Wetting their pants.

nativesooner
5/27/2011, 01:34 PM
I had a player sign a photo for me a few years back. Afterwards, he used my sharpie to sign another guys hat. I started to walk away and he said "here's your sharpie homie!" I said "oh you can keep it, you need it more than me!" He responded "nahh, I can't keep it because it's against the rules but thanks!" and tossed it back to me. A sharpie!? Wow! I think Universities do a good job of explaining to guys/gals what they can and cannot do. I know stuff goes on all the time but these kids know what's right and wrong, even if they don't want to admit it.

SoonerofAlabama
5/27/2011, 01:35 PM
Who was the guy?

Flagstaffsooner
5/27/2011, 01:55 PM
Lid gave Chrissy a free blow job at the austin tx bus station in 2003 . Is that illegal?

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 12:58 PM
More news for the Buckeyes. Pretty sure the NCAA will give them a harsher punishment than what the school already did.

texaspokieokie
5/28/2011, 04:06 PM
Lid gave Chrissy a free blow job at the austin tx bus station in 2003 . Is that illegal?

it's legal if lid is willing to do it to the rest of the student body.

i don't see it as a problem.:D