PDA

View Full Version : summer beer

delhalew
5/26/2011, 09:17 AM
Memorial day is almost here. Maybe the sun will come out. I haven't checked the forecast.

What is your favorite "out in sunshine" beer? Fishing, swimming, or mowing the lawn.

I'll have to give it more thought, but here are some that have fit the bill in the past.

Shiner Blonde, Boulevard Wheat, Corona, Michelob Ultra.

On the High end, Bass, Fuller's ESB, and the like.

Turd_Ferguson
5/26/2011, 09:21 AM
Memorial day is almost here. Maybe the sun will come out. I haven't checked the forecast.

What is your favorite "out in sunshine" beer? Fishing, swimming, or mowing the lawn.

I'll have to give it more thought, but here are some that have fit the bill in the past.

Shiner Blonde, Boulevard Wheat, Corona, Michelob Ultra.

On the High end, Bass, Fuller's ESB, and the like.Natty and Ultra. If I were to ever drink mule ****, I would suspect it would taste like Corona...

Mjcpr
5/26/2011, 09:21 AM
I'm going to change to Bud 55 because I'm a fatty.

Boomer.....
5/26/2011, 09:37 AM
I'm going to change to Bud 55 because I'm a shorty.

I don't think it makes you taller.

Boomer.....
5/26/2011, 09:39 AM
I've always enjoyed messican or wheat beers also.

Give me a ice cold Pacifico, Boulevard Wheat, or Hogaarden and I'm peachy.

I actually really like Bud Light Wheat but it's harder to find anymore.

delhalew
5/26/2011, 09:41 AM
I'm going to change to Bud 55 because I'm a fatty.

Is that still beer? I've honestly never tried it, and don't plan on it.

Viking Kitten
5/26/2011, 09:42 AM
New Belgium makes one called "Sunshine Wheat" that we like in the summer... since we often road trip to Schlitterbahn for summer vacation we just stock up in Texas and transport it back to Oklahoma on ice. (Since our stupid liquor laws prevent New Belgium from selling here.)

The Profit
5/26/2011, 09:43 AM
My German buddies would consider any wheat beer to be summer beer. They would never think of drinking wheat beer any other time.

delhalew
5/26/2011, 09:44 AM
I've always enjoyed messican or wheat beers also.

Give me a ice cold Pacifico, Boulevard Wheat, or Hogaarden and I'm peachy.

I actually really like Bud Light Wheat but it's harder to find anymore.

The German weiz beers and Pilsners are pretty good summer drinking.

KantoSooner
5/26/2011, 09:45 AM
Red Stripe

rekamrettuB
5/26/2011, 09:47 AM
Tecate w/ lime. Landshark w/ lime.

delhalew
5/26/2011, 09:47 AM
Red Stripe

Forgot about Red Stripe. Good call.

Boomer.....
5/26/2011, 09:50 AM
Very good call on the Red Stripe.

The Profit
5/26/2011, 09:51 AM
Here is a good beer.

Kölsch, also written Koelsch, is a local beer speciality brewed in Cologne, Germany. It is a clear beer with a bright straw-yellow hue, and it has a prominent, but not extreme, hoppiness. It is less bitter than the standard German pale lager. Furthermore, Kölsch is warm fermented at a temperature around 13 to 21°C (55 to 70°F) and then cold-conditioned, or lagered.[1] This manner of fermentation links Kölsch with some other beer styles of central northern Europe, such as the Altbiers of northern Germany and the Netherlands.
Kölsch is strictly defined by the Kölsch Konvention, an agreement between the members of the Cologne Brewery Association. It is a pale, highly attenuated, hoppy, clear, top-fermenting beer with an original gravity of between 11 and 16 degrees Plato (1.044—1.065). In practice almost all Kölsch brands have a very similar gravity near the middle of this range.

delhalew
5/26/2011, 09:53 AM
If you are getting bored with your usual summer choices, try one of these examples of a German Kolsch.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/85

Mjcpr
5/26/2011, 10:05 AM
Is that still beer? I've honestly never tried it, and don't plan on it.

I'm pretty sure you gave up the right to be a beer ****** when you mentioned Corona.

The Maestro
5/26/2011, 10:08 AM
Michelob Ultra Lime Cactus...not much of a beer drinker, but this one is good in the sun.

delhalew
5/26/2011, 10:11 AM
I'm pretty sure you gave up the right to be a beer ****** when you mentioned Corona.

I never said it was great. If there is ever a time for a skunky Mexican beer, a figure a hot summer day is it.

MeMyself&Me
5/26/2011, 10:17 AM
Real pilsners and Kolsch.

Whatever you do, don't take a keg of 10% ABV Belgian golden strong ale with you on a hot camping trip! It goes down as easy as a 4.5% ABV pilsner but you tend to 'lose time'! :eek:

The Profit
5/26/2011, 10:26 AM
By the way, Bricktown Brewery now has Kolsch on tap.

delhalew
5/26/2011, 10:27 AM
Real pilsners and Kolsch.

Whatever you do, don't take a keg of 10% ABV Belgian golden strong ale with you on a hot camping trip! It goes down as easy as a 4.5% ABV pilsner but you tend to 'lose time'! :eek:

Lmao. A Saison may be good though.

JohnnyMack
5/26/2011, 10:45 AM
Beer is beer, bitches. Drink up.

MeMyself&Me
5/26/2011, 10:52 AM
Forgot to mention Cream Ale... or at least the homebrew versions I've had. Never tried a commercially made one.

rekamrettuB
5/26/2011, 10:58 AM
Can't get it here but Presidente is really good. Corona w/out the skunk after taste.

2121Sooner
5/26/2011, 11:00 AM
Anything gold and cold is good for me

Fraggle145
5/26/2011, 11:01 AM
Leinie's Summer Shandy is really good for summer time. Its half lemonade, half beer... I think in Germany they call it a Radler. Anyway, its good in the sun and chicks like it.

More info on Shandy here: http://www.evvivalisle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/leinenkugel_ss_desc.jpg

http://www.evvivalisle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/leinenkugel_ss_desc.jpg

MeMyself&Me
5/26/2011, 11:10 AM
Leinie's Summer Shandy is really good for summer time. Its half lemonade, half beer... I think in Germany they call it a Radler. Anyway, its good in the sun and chicks like it.

More info on Shandy here: http://www.evvivalisle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/leinenkugel_ss_desc.jpg

http://www.evvivalisle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/leinenkugel_ss_desc.jpg

Ugg. Chicks in England like those shandies. They mix up the lager (Budweiser) and 'lemonade' (in England lemonade is 7-up) right there when you order it. Yuck!

sooner_born_1960
5/26/2011, 11:11 AM
I had a Bud Light yesterday evening. It was alright.

colleyvillesooner
5/26/2011, 11:18 AM
New Belgium makes one called "Sunshine Wheat" that we like in the summer... since we often road trip to Schlitterbahn for summer vacation we just stock up in Texas and transport it back to Oklahoma on ice. (Since our stupid liquor laws prevent New Belgium from selling here.)

I ws going to say you should try their skinny dip, great summer beer. But it has been replaced by the Somesault. Haven't tried it yet.

Harpoons summer beer is good

NormanPride
5/26/2011, 11:22 AM
My friend made a fat tire clone that he boiled too hot and only got about 4% alcohol at the end. We called it the Weak Sauce. It is ****ing amazing on hot days.

C&CDean
5/26/2011, 11:32 AM
Take a Michelob Ultra, fill a glass about 2/3rds full, then finish it with a Lindeman's Framboise. Not too many carbs, and you will thank me later.

NormanPride
5/26/2011, 11:36 AM
Do you have to start with Michelob?

delhalew
5/26/2011, 11:49 AM
Do you have to start with Michelob?

The Michelob would be a good vaguely beer flavored base. It is one of the only BMC beers that doesn't actually taste bad to me. It's tastes just like real beer, only really weak.

Fish&Game
5/26/2011, 12:28 PM
Samuel Adams Summer Ale

JohnnyMack
5/26/2011, 12:37 PM
Take a Michelob Ultra, fill a glass about 2/3rds full, then finish it with a Lindeman's Framboise. Not too many carbs, and you will thank me later.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/GayMyspace.jpg

OhU1
5/26/2011, 01:13 PM
I've tended to be drinking such heavy duty beers over the last 2-3 years that a "summer beer" for me is becoming German lagers or pale ale. These are not really light beers in alcohol content but they are lower and they are lighter in character and taste than IPA or stout.

Negra Modelo is a good choice for a highly drinkable beer which still has some malt flavor.

SoCaliSooner
5/26/2011, 01:14 PM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c285/fdmedictomc/random/DSC08100.jpg

2121Sooner
5/26/2011, 01:36 PM

Fruit in your beer......meat in your rear

Sooner_Tuf
5/26/2011, 02:08 PM
Budweiser. Sometimes I switch to cans in the summer. Sometimes I don't.

C&CDean
5/26/2011, 02:25 PM

Come over here...

OUMallen
5/26/2011, 02:32 PM
Mexican- Carta Blanca with pleeeenty of lime
Typical- Boulevard Wheat
Off-Beat- a really cold Blanche de Chambly

OutlandTrophy
5/26/2011, 02:39 PM
Miller High Life

OUMallen
5/26/2011, 02:58 PM
Miller High Life

I could have guessed.

Jammin'
5/26/2011, 03:04 PM

Red Stripe

These two and:

St Arnold's "Lawnmower"
New Belgiums "Mighty Arrow"
Lein's "Sunset Wheat"
Sweetwater's "420"
Great Divide's "Hercules Double IPA" (#iwentthere)

2121Sooner
5/26/2011, 03:07 PM
Miller High Life

The Champagne of beers baby!!!!!!!!

Gold?
Check

Cold?
Check

Commence drinking

Fugue
5/26/2011, 03:09 PM
PBR and Stones for softball and related hot weather ourdoor activities.

Red Stripe mon for everything else.

Jammin'
5/26/2011, 03:10 PM
a cold miller high life in a bottle is enjoyable lake beer.

OUMallen
5/26/2011, 03:16 PM
High life is nasty. It's worth the extra bones to just get Miller Lite or Coors Lite.

Fugue
5/26/2011, 03:17 PM
unless you want violent sharts, then High Life is the one. :D

OUDoc
5/26/2011, 03:47 PM
unless you want violent sharts, then High Life is the one. :D

That would be an awesome great name.

Jammin'
5/26/2011, 04:44 PM
High life is nasty. It's worth the extra bones to just get Miller Lite or Coors Lite.

High Life is water. But I'm going off of some distant memory as it has been a while since I had anything like that. I did have Miller Lite from a keg about a month ago. One drink and done. Turrible.

delhalew
5/26/2011, 05:12 PM
High Life is water. But I'm going off of some distant memory as it has been a while since I had anything like that. I did have Miller Lite from a keg about a month ago. One drink and done. Turrible.

A light, crisp summer beer does not have to be a ****ty beer.

C&CDean
5/26/2011, 05:54 PM
For the record, I'm currently enjoying one of my Mich Ultras with Framboise and a nice Irish whisky neat, on the side. mmmmmmm goood.

texaspokieokie
5/26/2011, 06:10 PM
my summer beer is the same as my winter beer. only, sometimes in the summer, i drink it outside.

Fraggle145
5/26/2011, 06:12 PM

Stop. Just stop.

mgsooner
5/26/2011, 07:31 PM
If I have to drink a widely available pale lager it's going to be Modelo. That would have to be my #1 summer "session" beer.

Edit: My wife had some Bud Lights in the fridge and I am drinking one right now. I just don't understand how there's anyone in the world that actually enjoys drinking this sh*t. I guess it's just what Americans are conditioned to like. I can give my wife a drink of Hoegaarden and she acts like I made her drink Clorox, but Bud Light is just grand. Hell, she won't even drink Sam Adams. I don't get it.

C&CDean
5/26/2011, 08:00 PM
If I have to drink a widely available pale lager it's going to be Modelo. That would have to be my #1 summer "session" beer.

Edit: My wife had some Bud Lights in the fridge and I am drinking one right now. I just don't understand how there's anyone in the world that actually enjoys drinking this sh*t. I guess it's just what Americans are conditioned to like. I can give my wife a drink of Hoegaarden and she acts like I made her drink Clorox, but Bud Light is just grand. Hell, she won't even drink Sam Adams. I don't get it.

Trade her in. On a new model.

OutlandTrophy
5/26/2011, 08:04 PM

Hoegaarden is nas. ty. it tastes like a liquid clove cigarette.

delhalew
5/26/2011, 08:09 PM

People get these crazy ideas in there heads, and there's no talking to them.
Think about how many millions cigarette companies spent before they discovered that you can't make anybody change brands. You have to get em when they're kids.

Those of us who won't drink Bud lite, suspected it was **** from the get go. We just drank it when there was no liquor around. That's my theory.

SoCaliSooner
5/26/2011, 08:18 PM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c285/fdmedictomc/DSC05747.jpg

Tulsa_Fireman
5/26/2011, 08:39 PM

You sir are wrong.

It tastes like a honey drizzled vagina.

OhU1
5/26/2011, 08:47 PM
Those of us who won't drink Bud lite, suspected it was **** from the get go. We just drank it when there was no liquor around. That's my theory.

Good theory. Even when I drank the crap beer back in the old days I still didn't like Butt lite.

By the way picked up some Hobgoblins in Lawton (discussed in last week's thread). When I was in Tulsa last week there were no Hobgoblins in Jenks or the large Tulsa warehouse-like store. Both stores said the distributor was out. (Hopefully this beer does not disappear like McEwans.) I'm looking forward to trying this brew for the first time.

delhalew
5/26/2011, 08:51 PM
Good theory. Even when I drank the crap beer back in the old days I still didn't like Butt lite.

By the way picked up some Hobgoblins in Lawton (discussed in last week's thread). When I was in Tulsa last week there were no Hobgoblins in Jenks or the large Tulsa warehouse-like store. Both stores said the distributor was out. (Hopefully this beer does not disappear like McEwans.) I'm looking forward to trying this brew for the first time.

Did you get it at the "rape me shack" on Cash rd?

mgsooner
5/26/2011, 09:03 PM

Glad you brought that up again. I'm going by the store here in Tulsa that I used to buy it from tomorrow and I will make sure to check to see if they still have it.

soonerbub
5/26/2011, 09:05 PM
Any of you OKC area peeps tried the Wa****a Wheat from Mustang Brewing Co?

I give it a solid thumbs up

soonerbub
5/26/2011, 09:07 PM
...I meant to say Washeeta or Washataw

OhU1
5/26/2011, 09:08 PM
Did you get it at the "rape me shack" on Cash rd?

Yep, I bit the bullet and bent over. $110 in damage. $4.50 a bottle for the Hobgoblin.

J.P. Richard laughs all the way to the bank. But you have to hand it to him, he has a hell of a selection. And I'm foolish and lazy enough to still go to his store and give him money. :O

I need to visit Joe's Place in Norman http://http://www.joesplacewines.com/ (http://www.joesplacewines.com/) or Cellar Wine and Spirits
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16655 on Main in Norman and really stock up so I'm not captive to the rigged prices in Lawton.

delhalew
5/26/2011, 09:13 PM
Yep, I bit the bullet and bent over. $110 in damage. $4.50 a bottle for the Hobgoblin.

J.P. Richard laughs all the way to the bank. But you have to hand it to him, he has a hell of a selection. And I'm foolish and lazy enough to still go to his store and give him money. :O

I need to visit Joe's Place in Norman http://http://www.joesplacewines.com/ (http://www.joesplacewines.com/) or Cellar Wine and Spirits
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16655 on Main in Norman and really stock up so I'm not captive to the rigged prices in Lawton.

Man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do:D

northspeter
5/26/2011, 09:27 PM
lost coast makes a couple great summer brews... tangerine wheat and great white... tasty!!!!

Boomer.....
5/27/2011, 08:19 AM
Had me a couple tecates last night in a mug with lime pulp and salt aroud the rim.

Dee
Lish

OUDoc
5/27/2011, 09:29 AM

I liked it but didn't understand where the taste came from. I've been enjoying different types of beer since I learned what they are supposed to taste like. Like everyone said above, Americans are raised on American Lagers and I thought every beer that didn't taste one had something wrong with it. Now I enjoy their differences.

Mjcpr
5/27/2011, 09:31 AM
I liked it but didn't understand where the taste came from. I've been enjoying different types of beer since I learned what they are supposed to taste like. Like everyone said above, Americans are raised on American Lagers and I thought every beer that didn't taste one had something wrong with it. Now I enjoy their differences.

Do your hands tremble when you do surjury?

OutlandTrophy
5/27/2011, 09:31 AM
I like all kinds of beers but just can't do the clovey taste of Hoegaarden.

Fugue
5/27/2011, 09:40 AM
That would be an awesome great name.

It is a catchy name.

"Violent Sharts Beer"

Fruit of The Loom Brewing Co.
Mudbutt, KS

OUDoc
5/27/2011, 09:46 AM
Do your hands tremble when you do surjury?

It's like a mini-shiatsu massage while you get cut.

delhalew
5/27/2011, 10:05 AM
I like all kinds of beers but just can't do the clovey taste of Hoegaarden.

It's the yeast strain that puts off those clove esters...if you care.

OutlandTrophy
5/27/2011, 10:08 AM
It's the yeast strain that puts off those clove esters...if you care.

that's good to know. I prefer beers whut are not made from that strain.

JohnnyMack
5/27/2011, 11:00 AM
OK I'll play along and list some fun "summer" beers:

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis
Saison Dupont
St. Bernardus Tripel
Orval
Choc Biere de Garde
Weihenstephaner Kristall Weissbier
Choc Spahnie 363
Boulevard Saison
Boulevard Tank 7 Saison
Boulevard Saison Brett

I think you can get all of this stuff in OK.

OhU1
5/27/2011, 11:47 AM
OK I'll play along and list some fun "summer" beers:

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis
Saison Dupont
St. Bernardus Tripel
Orval
Choc Biere de Garde
Weihenstephaner Kristall Weissbier
Choc Spahnie 363
Boulevard Saison
Boulevard Tank 7 Saison
Boulevard Saison Brett

I think you can get all of this stuff in OK.

I see a lot of Saisons on your list. Have you tried Great Divide's Coulette? I had my first bottle in Tulsa last weekend and really liked it. It was my first Saison. It was smooth, tasty, easy drinking yet 7% alcohol (which kind of surprised me). Saison is a style I need to explore obviously.

soonersponge
5/27/2011, 11:52 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hNBj642F-V8/TDNo6hprD9I/AAAAAAAAAFQ/jnWh9c-CR-g/s1600/victoria.jpg

JohnnyMack
5/27/2011, 11:53 AM
I see a lot of Saisons on your list. Have you tried Great Divide's Coulette? I had my first bottle in Tulsa last weekend and really liked it. It was my first Saison. It was smooth, tasty, easy drinking yet 7% alcohol (which kind of surprised me). Saison is a style I need to explore obviously.

Yes. You do. Go buy some Saison Dupont, which is thankfully available here now.

mgsooner
5/27/2011, 01:39 PM
Just picked up a flat of Modelo at lunch. Officially ready for the holiday weekend now

Jammin'
5/27/2011, 01:46 PM
I'm going to start drinking beer right now.

Harry Beanbag
5/27/2011, 01:53 PM
I mainly drink Pale Ales during the long ridiculous summers here. Sometimes I'll throw in some Mexicans for a change: Sol, Pacifico. Bohemia are the ones I can drink, all with limes. For camping and laking, it is PBR, Bud Heavy, or High Life in cans.

delhalew
5/27/2011, 02:16 PM
You guys are gonna have to drink a few for me. I gotta get my *** back from Opelousas, La. No drinky:( It's ****ing hot too.

Jammin'
5/27/2011, 02:32 PM
Started with New Belgiums Tripple. Sorry delhalew.

texaspokieokie
5/27/2011, 02:36 PM
won't be summer for @ least 3 weeks.

Jammin'
5/27/2011, 02:37 PM
won't be summer for @ least 3 weeks.

don't harsh my mellow.

texaspokieokie
5/27/2011, 02:39 PM
don't harsh my mellow.

well, it's still friday.
tgif !!!!!

OhU1
5/27/2011, 02:43 PM
I've got some Pilsner Urquel and Old Thumper English Ale in the cooler for later.

Jammin'
5/27/2011, 02:45 PM
well, it's still friday.
tgif !!!!!

deNed.

northspeter
5/27/2011, 04:30 PM
You guys are gonna have to drink a few for me. I gotta get my *** back from Opelousas, La. No drinky:( It's ****ing hot too.

have you had some Abita... from a louisiana brewery i think in metarie... it's pretty good stuff... purple haze... and the wheat one... are pretty tasty...

delhalew
5/27/2011, 04:40 PM
have you had some Abita... from a louisiana brewery i think in metarie... it's pretty good stuff... purple haze... and the wheat one... are pretty tasty...

I remember Abita being Ok. The saving grace may be when I say screw it, and eat a ton of oysters and drink some beer. Just drive home tomorrow.

soonersponge
5/27/2011, 04:45 PM
I mainly drink Pale Ales during the long ridiculous summers here. Sometimes I'll throw in some Mexicans for a change: Sol, Pacifico. Bohemia are the ones I can drink, all with limes. For camping and laking, it is PBR, Bud Heavy, or High Life in cans.

Try Victoria. Best messican beer out there.

mgsooner
5/27/2011, 04:48 PM
Try Victoria. Best messican beer out there.

It's okay. Just another Grupo Modelo beer. Not really better or worse than any of the rest of them.

soonersponge
5/27/2011, 04:49 PM
It's okay. Just another Grupo Modelo beer. Not really better or worse than any of the rest of them.

Been drinking it for many years in messico. I disagree.

mgsooner
5/27/2011, 04:51 PM
Of course there IS one Grupo Modelo beer that does stand heads and shoulders above the rest and that is Negra Modelo.

delhalew
5/27/2011, 05:01 PM
Of course there IS one Grupo Modelo beer that does stand heads and shoulders above the rest and that is Negra Modelo.

Damn right.

MeMyself&Me
5/27/2011, 07:23 PM

Negra Modelo is the only beer from Mexico that's worth a damn as far as I can tell... and I don't think it's anything to write home about.

I don't think much of Abita either.

mgsooner
5/27/2011, 07:44 PM
Not saying Negra Modelo is a great beer, but it's certainly the best of the bunch.

Harry Beanbag
5/28/2011, 10:54 AM
Anybody tried Newcastle Summer Ale yet? The reviews I've seen were not good at all.

delhalew
5/28/2011, 11:16 AM
I have to admit I've never heard of such a thing.

Harry Beanbag
5/28/2011, 11:23 AM
It just appeared in my grocery store a month or so ago, the reviews are flat out terrible though so I haven't bothered spending the $9 they want for it.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/5131863937_0a9617359a.jpg

delhalew
5/28/2011, 12:06 PM
At least it's in a brown bottle.

King Crimson
5/28/2011, 12:14 PM
i've been drinking Avery IPA and Upslope IPA, mostly. Boulder beers and usually on sale at the local big store liquor mart. i wish red hook and sierra nevada hadn't been so disappointing over the last few years....i have good memories of those in the summer.

and then, there were the "premium beer" summers in grad school. Natty, Hamms, Old Milwaukee among the more potable as i recall.

texaspokieokie
5/28/2011, 12:39 PM
when we 1st started, schlitz was "premium" beer.

Turd_Ferguson
5/28/2011, 12:42 PM
when we 1st started, schlitz was "premium" beer.When I started, we would by Scotch Buy Beer at the Safeway on main street in Norman...bout 2 dolla a case I think:D

http://beercansrus.com/mcart/images/scotchbuy.jpg

StoopTroup
5/28/2011, 12:52 PM
The Scotch don't know **** about making beer....:D

StoopTroup
5/28/2011, 12:54 PM
I known someone who showed up with Pabst BR and was chastised. I'm not naming makes either....just initials. C11 :D

delhalew
5/28/2011, 12:55 PM
The Scotch don't know **** about making beer....:D

When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

King Crimson
5/28/2011, 05:02 PM
When I started, we would by Scotch Buy Beer at the Safeway on main street in Norman...bout 2 dolla a case I think:D

that's kind of amazing marketing scheme....the whole Safeway "Scotch Buy" thing. i remember that...as a kid. paper towels, beer, cola, whatever.

might as well just call it "Cherokee Buy" or some tissues in Leeds.

the old colonial switcheroo....what the poor, conquered peoples buy...and now, as colonial overlord have a chance to steal the value as "them".

and i thought they were just famous for tape and golf.

OutlandTrophy
5/28/2011, 05:08 PM
that's kind of amazing marketing scheme....the whole Safeway "Scotch Buy" thing. i remember that...as a kid. paper towels, beer, cola, whatever.

the old colonial switcheroo....what the poor, conquered peoples buy...and now, as colonial overlord have a chance to steal the value as "them".

what?

Sooner_Tuf
5/28/2011, 06:00 PM

That sounds cool and all but I think it refers to the fact the Scots tend to be frugal and spend their money wisely. Plus I don't really think you understand the relationship between Scotland and England at all.

Harry Beanbag
5/28/2011, 06:20 PM
When I started, we would by Scotch Buy Beer at the Safeway on main street in Norman...bout 2 dolla a case I think:D

Wrong thread Turd, goes in this one: http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154228

StoopTroup
5/28/2011, 08:46 PM
When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

When you get mine...you'll need to wipe your face:eek:

OUTrumpet
5/28/2011, 09:02 PM
Just got a Shiner summer special beer - called Shiner Ruby Redbird.

First one was just ok, but each one is growing on me. Really like it at the moment. Gonna try out Sam Adams Summer brew here next weekend to celebrate being done with school :)

King Crimson
5/28/2011, 10:00 PM
That sounds cool and all but I think it refers to the fact the Scots tend to be frugal and spend their money wisely. Plus I don't really think you understand the relationship between Scotland and England at all.

because the Scots like to be seen as the lowest value of the empire. where cheap, lesser commodities are to be found. i dunno about that? i'm gonna reverse your statement about understanding.

Scots tend to be frugal and spend their money wisely......nice generalization. they all do it that way. every person in Scotland is tight with a coin to make the diff between them and London and Newcastle and Leeds or Manchester or Bristol.

delhalew
5/28/2011, 10:23 PM
Turns out this Sierra Nevada Glissade Golden Bock is pretty tasty.

AlboSooner
5/28/2011, 11:18 PM
Delhalew, your suggestion on the München Dunkel was excellent. I had a couple of bottles yesterday and it was by far the best dark beer I had tasted.

OUstud
5/29/2011, 02:14 AM
Just bought Sam Adams' "Summer Styles" variety pack. Boston Lager, Summer Ale, Light, Latitude 48 IPA, and two new ones: East-West Kolsch and Rustic Saison. Good stuff.

delhalew
5/29/2011, 09:52 AM
Delhalew, your suggestion on the München Dunkel was excellent. I had a couple of bottles yesterday and it was by far the best dark beer I had tasted.

Good deal. There is a beer out there for everybody. You just have to find it.

MeMyself&Me
5/29/2011, 09:57 AM
There is a beer out there for everybody. You just have to find it.

I agree. When people tell me they don't like beer I tell them they haven't had the right one yet. There's too much variance across the spectrum to make a blanket statement like you don't like beer.

Boomer.....
5/29/2011, 03:08 PM
It just appeared in my grocery store a month or so ago, the reviews are flat out terrible though so I haven't bothered spending the $9 they want for it.

I drank some of the original Newcastle yesterday. Might have to try this if I can find it.

JohnnyMack
5/29/2011, 03:26 PM

I remember drinking that on tap towards the end of last summer.

My thoughts at the time: Poured a super pale copper color with one-finger of white foam and streaks of lacing. The aroma was grassy and floral with some sugary sweetness. The flavor was a combination of sugars and grass with a touch of citrus on the end. Thin and easy drinking. Not terrible.