PDA

View Full Version : Roofer recommendations?

Ctina
5/25/2011, 07:47 PM
I'm in Noble and thanks to the hail, need a new roof. I talked to the insurance people today and should have the adjuster out soon but I've never hired out for a roofing job. The husband and I scraped and shingled it ourselves about 8 years ago but are going to hire out this time. We did pretty good but there was one spot that leaked when the wind blew just right. lol He never could track it down to fix it.

Who knows of a trustworthy company in the area. Hubby will get the last say, but I'll take other input as well. I'd love to get metal, but I'm sure that would be out of our price range.

SoonerNate
5/25/2011, 07:55 PM
Petra Roofing looks credible.

StoopTroup
5/25/2011, 08:22 PM
I don't know any roofers in Noble....but you are gonna find someone.

Prayers your way.

OU Engineer
5/25/2011, 08:44 PM
I used "Affordable Construction" or "Affordable Roofing" (same company???) a few years ago and they did a great job for, well, an affordable price hahaha

They are based in Norman...

Ctina
5/25/2011, 09:39 PM
Affordable es muy bueno. I just don't want to use a fly-by-night company. I'm sure they will start coming out of the woodwork. Last year we got a million fliers for some fireman roofing company. Luckily we don't have a house phone so we won't get a bunch of companies bugging us. I assume I'll have to get a couple of quotes but I've never had an insurance claim on the house so I don't know. Guess I'll be learning!

Thanks guys! (still taking advice if anyone has any)

Penguin
5/25/2011, 09:47 PM
I recommend you buy a tornado-proof roof.

Soonerson1975
5/25/2011, 09:52 PM
I see you come here to ask serious questions. LOL

SoCaliSooner
5/25/2011, 10:04 PM
Last year we got a million fliers for some fireman roofing company.

Ctina, why do you hate Americas heroes with side jobs?

MeMyself&Me
5/25/2011, 10:06 PM
Did this two years ago and am doing it again after storms on Easter Sunday here in Abilene. I used at roofer that worked with my insurance agent directly. The deal was that he wouldn't charge any more that what the insurance adjuster put toward the value of the roof. He was there with me when the insurance agent inspected the roof as well. Really, it took the worry and stress out of the process. I would look for a roofer like that.

Ctina
5/25/2011, 10:30 PM
Ctina, why do you hate Americas heroes with side jobs?

3 reasons:

I assumed it was you and with the bum leg you were unavailable.

The barrage of fliers irritated me.

They ignored the "No Soliciting" sign on the door. That's an automatic out. I don't trust anyone who (a) can't read and (b) knocks on my door trying to sell me something.

MeMyself&Me
5/25/2011, 10:34 PM
The barrage of fliers irritated me.

They ignored the "No Soliciting" sign on the door. That's an automatic out. I don't trust anyone who (a) can't read and (b) knocks on my door trying to sell me something.

I tend to agree. When I need something I call someone or visit a business. I don't do business with people that knock on my door or call my telephone. Part of it is just that I think that practice is rude but part of it is that I think if you're a legit business, you don't need to do that.

Romulus
5/25/2011, 10:53 PM
internet prayers and hugs coming your way

Blue
5/25/2011, 11:06 PM
I tend to agree. When I need something I call someone or visit a business. I don't do business with people that knock on my door or call my telephone. Part of it is just that I think that practice is rude but part of it is that I think if you're a legit business, you don't need to do that.

Contractors do it because it's the best way to advertise in an area thats gotten hit by storms.

I understand your reasons and I'm not a big fan of cold calling. But it works. Get a few going and then do a good job and then garnish a bunch of referrals.

I've gone into big neighborhoods and done 75% of the roofs and it all started from knocking a few doors.

MeMyself&Me
5/25/2011, 11:11 PM
...it all started from knocking a few doors.

Not mine. ;)

sanantoniosooner
5/25/2011, 11:13 PM
Roofer recommendations?

I'd get a good one.

Romulus
5/25/2011, 11:19 PM
I have a friend named Ed who is a good roofer

Ctina
5/25/2011, 11:24 PM
I'd get a good one.

Excellent advice. <<crosses out Crappy Roofers, Inc.>>

I have a friend named Ed who is a good roofer

DON'T LIE! You are only friends with Bjorn and Dyner.