PDA

View Full Version : One opinion that Bama should be preseason top dog

SoonerNomad
5/25/2011, 04:55 PM
SI's Stewart Mandel, who I read a lot, is really high on Alabama's defense this year and that you might be "nuts" to be considering OU or anyone else for #1.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/05/25/alabama-number-one/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a2

Stewart Mandel> INSIDE COLLEGE FOOTBALL

The confetti from Auburn's BCS championship victory over Oregon had yet to be cleared when the nation's college football prognosticators (including SI.com's own Andy Staples) universally tapped Oklahoma as the preseason favorite for 2011. That narrative has continued unabated through the various updated offseason rankings.

Fellas ... are you nuts?

No disrespect to the Sooners, who return the bulk of last year's 12-2, Big 12 championship squad, but the best team in the country this fall will be the Alabama Crimson Tide. Frankly, it's a bit baffling that this isn't a more common sentiment.

Yes, preseason polls follow a predictably standard formula, and no, Nick Saban's team doesn't exactly fit the mold. The Tide went 10-3 last year, not 12-2. They had four standouts -- 2009 Heisman winner Mark Ingram, defensive end Marcell Dareus, receiver Julio Jones and left tackle James Carpenter -- selected in the first round of last month's NFL draft, which seems like a lot to replace. And then there's the fact that the Tide will be breaking in a new quarterback, which always gives voters reason for pause.

But here's the thing: Alabama is loaded. Longtime NFL talent evaluator Gil Brandt recently rated seven Tide players among his top 65 prospects for the 2012 draft. This year's Alabama squad bears fewer household names, but it will be more talented and experienced than last year's -- and last year's team wasn't too shabby, despite what its fourth-place SEC West finish would seem to indicate.

Coming off a 2009 BCS title, Alabama was last year's default preseason favorite, with voters conveniently overlooking the presence of eight first-time starters on defense. The inexperience of those players reared its head on several occasions, as 'Bama gave up 35, 24 and 28 points, respectively, in defeats to South Carolina, LSU and Auburn.

"Once we won 19 games in a row, we sort of lost our standard a little bit," said Saban. "The standard became winning rather than doing the things we'd done here to help us win. The fundamentals were not as good overall."

And yet, Alabama still managed to finish third nationally in scoring defense (13.5 points per game). In fact, in Football Outsiders' final power rankings -- which assess every play and every drive of a team's season to measure offensive and defensive efficiency -- the 10-3 Tide finished behind only 14-0 Auburn and 12-1 Boise State.

"What [the numbers] see in Alabama is a team that played a really tough schedule and had about five bad quarters the entire season," said Football Outsiders' Bill Connelly. "The rest of the season they were pretty much as good as they were the year before, but youth reared its head at inopportune times."

In other words, Alabama's defensive breakdowns weren't frequent, but they too often came at crucial times in crucial games -- like, say, the second half of the Iron Bowl, when archrival Auburn rallied from a 24-0 halftime deficit for a 28-27 win, the biggest comeback in school history. The Tigers subsequently advanced to and won the SEC and BCS championships, while the Tide slunk off to the Capital One Bowl.

"It grossed me out just watching [the SEC and BCS title] games, knowing we had a 24-0 lead against Auburn," said Alabama running back Trent Richardson."We've got to man up to it, work hard, and say it's not going to happen again."

Saban said the 2010 Tide didn't really figure things out until the first day of 2011, when they routed 11-1 Michigan State 49-7 in the Capital One Bowl. In that potential preview of the season to come, linebacker Courtney Upshaw, a disruptive playmaker slowed much of the season by an ankle injury, was constantly in the Spartans' backfield, notching two sacks and three of the Tide's 11 tackles for loss. Marquis Maze, one of the receivers who must step up in place of Jones, caught a 37-yard touchdown.

"That team tried to create an identity for itself for the first time in the bowl game," said Saban. "I think to some degree I see some of that same sense of purpose a little bit more in this team."

Perhaps most telling is how often Alabama's perfectionist coach used the words "pleased" and "encouraged" when discussing the progress of various units during a spring sit-down in his office. Most notably, he seems far less concerned with choosing a starting quarterback -- either third-year sophomore A.J. McCarron or redshirt freshman Phil Sims -- than pretty much everyone outside the program.

Third-year sophomore A.J. McCarron is Alabama's most experienced quarterback, but has yet to lock up the starting job.
"I would rather focus on the fact that both guys are playing extremely well, which I'm pleased with," Saban said two days before the pair put up nearly identical numbers in Alabama's A-Day game. (McCarron went 21-for-38 for 222 yards, an interception and a touchdown; Sims went 19-for-38 for 229 yards and a pick.) "Based on these two guys' leadership and personality, I don't think it's critical to the team that somebody needs to be the first-team quarterback right now."

Remember, Alabama won its 2009 title in Greg McElroy's first year as a starter.

Whoever wins the job will receive an enormous amount of help from Richardson. It's not often a team replaces a Heisman-winning, first-round running back (Ingram) with a standout nearly as recognizable. In two seasons as Ingram's sidekick, the sculpted Pensacola, Fla., native notched 1,843 rushing/receiving yards, including four 100-yard games. With Ingram sidelined by a knee injury to start last season, Richardson stepped up and rushed for 144 yards on 22 carries while adding 46 receiving yards in a 24-3 win over Penn State.

"Trent is a rare combination of size, speed and durability," said Saban. "[Richardson] played his best football last year when Mark wasn't playing in the first [two] games. We're hopeful that him being the bellcow, that he'll grow into that role of being a leader and a go-to guy."

The Tide will certainly miss three-year starting receiver Jones, whom the Atlanta Falcons traded five picks to select sixth overall in last month's NFL draft, but seniors Maze and Darius Hanks have a combined 138 career receptions.

Meanwhile, Alabama returns four of five starters on its offensive line, including third-year starting center William Vlachos and All-SEC guard Barrett Jones. Injuries to Jones (who missed the Auburn game) and right tackle D.J. Fluker (who missed four SEC games) plagued an already thin unit last season and stunted the running game at times. But because of that, 'Bama returns six linemen with starting experience. Saban felt comfortable enough in the spring to move Jones to Carpenter's vacated left tackle spot.

But the strength of the 2011 Tide will unquestionably be the defense, which could well match or exceed the production of the '09 unit. Upshaw, a junior, has the potential to follow in the footsteps of Dareus and Rolando McClain as another top 10 draft pick. Safety Mark Barron and cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick are showing up on early first-round mocks as well. And cornerback DeQuan Menzie, a 2010 juco transfer who played mostly nickel back last year while recovering from injury, was the defense's breakout performer of the spring.

But the key figure is linebacker Dont'a Hightower, a 2008 Freshman All-America who missed most of '09 with a torn ACL. He returned last season and initially took over former Butkus winner McClain's spot at mike linebacker, but did not look comfortable. His play improved upon moving to weakside linebacker, but Hightower still failed to perform at the level many expected. This spring, however, he looked more like the unit's leader.

"Dont'a seems like he's got a little more juice, playing a little bit faster," said Saban. "He is a little more comfortable [calling signals]."

Talent is rarely a concern with Saban's teams. Alabama has landed Rivals.com's No. 1 recruiting classes three of the past four years (with the help of some creative roster management). More than almost any other coach, Saban constantly keys on his players' psychology. As he's done in the past, Saban this spring brought in Dr. Kevin Elko, a noted motivational speaker, whose main message to the team was, "Learn how to fight weary" -- a reference to last season's fourth-quarter breakdowns.

The most infamous of those, the Iron Bowl, gives the Tide a familiar motivating ingredient from their '09 title run: revenge.

"We certainly had a huge chip on our shoulder playing Florida in '09," said Vlachos. "It obviously turned out pretty good for us."

National champs certainly aren't crowned in May, and it could be that this season's top dog is currently lurking hype-free, like Auburn last season or Bob Stoops' then-unheralded Sooners way back in 2000. But Alabama in 2011 looks a lot like Florida a few years ago or USC a few years before that: the nation's most loaded program, taking a slight pause between championships.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/05/25/alabama-number-one/index.html#ixzz1NP504h1T

NormanPride
5/25/2011, 04:59 PM
I can see it. We still have to prove we can run the ball and get to the passer.

rekamrettuB
5/25/2011, 05:04 PM
OU/Bama for all the marbles would be cool. Actually I would rather see a non-SEC team in the NOLA bowl.

badger
5/25/2011, 05:08 PM
Any team that has to replace its starting QB shouldn't get top billing.

I can trust Bammer fans to not bring up last year's title winner to keep that a valid statement :D

SoonerofAlabama
5/25/2011, 05:09 PM
Powder-puff schedule makes things a lot easier. Defense can show out a bit when the offenses they play are average at best.

Based On The Article This Is My Assessment Of What He Is Saying
Freshmen or first-year starting quartebacks always win national titles their first year playing. Running backs are always the center of an offense. Teams who recruit well instantly see success. Teams who lose quality players to the draft are always much better the next year. Statistics always show who the best team is.

SoonerNomad
5/25/2011, 05:10 PM
The last two national champs were QB'd by first year quarterbacks. I agree with NormanPride. I want to see us run the ball and control the line of scrimmage on defense before I start expecting a national title.

Picking an SEC school makes sense to me and Alabama is as good as any for a preseason choice.

Peach Fuzz
5/25/2011, 05:50 PM
Makes sense to me, offense hasn't been the greatest in SEC country and so far it looks like they haven't needed it

trueou
5/25/2011, 06:09 PM
I don't give a flying flip about being the preseason Number 1. I want OU to be the postseason Number 1.

Peach Fuzz
5/25/2011, 06:12 PM
Well, yeah... that's a given

SoCaliSooner
5/25/2011, 06:17 PM
Saban doesn't shat the bed in national championship games.

Peach Fuzz
5/25/2011, 06:20 PM
The guy might be a sasquatch-ball slurping a-hole, but he can prepare a team with the best of the best :(

bixby28
5/25/2011, 06:57 PM
The last two national champs were QB'd by first year quarterbacks. I agree with NormanPride. I want to see us run the ball and control the line of scrimmage on defense before I start expecting a national title.

Picking an SEC school makes sense to me and Alabama is as good as any for a preseason choice.

You got that right. Improved run def., run off., could mean OU ends up playing for everything in 2011.

AlboSooner
5/25/2011, 07:29 PM
OU/Bama for all the marbles would be cool. Actually I would rather see a non-SEC team in the NOLA bowl.

OU should slay the SEC dragon.

Mazeppa
5/25/2011, 08:27 PM
Ask Texas how that talented first year started worked for them.

mightysooner
5/25/2011, 08:35 PM

They're also replacing Ingram, and Julio Jones along with their QB and that was their entire offense. No way Bama is a title contender with those triplets gone. I don't care how good your defense is. You don't replace all three main skill player studs in your offense with inexperienced players and go win a championship. That's like us losing Jones, Broyles, and Murray all at once and trying to go win it all. Ain't gonna happen.....

SoonerDood
5/25/2011, 08:42 PM
They're also replacing Ingram, and Julio Jones along with their QB and that was their entire offense. No way Bama is a title contender with those triplets gone. I don't care how good your defense is. You don't replace all three main skill player studs in your offense with inexperienced players and go win a championship. That's like us losing Jones, Broyles, and Murray all at once and trying to go win it all. Ain't gonna happen.....

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!

mightysooner
5/25/2011, 08:52 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!

In the 2009 title game, McElroy, as a first year QB, threw for a whoppin' 58 yards total with no TD's and no INT's and 2-12 on 3rd down conversions. All Bama's TD's came on the ground with the help of 5 Texas turnovers and no Colt Mccoy to contend with. Had Mccoy stayed healthy and in the game, Texas wears Bama down and wins that game. They don't have Ingram and Jones or McElroy now. They're not going to the national title game. They'll have a great season, but huh-uh. There's no experience at the skill position to carry the load while the new guys get up to speed.

SoonerDood
5/25/2011, 09:02 PM
In the 2009 title game, McElroy, as a first year QB, threw for a whoppin' 58 yards total with no TD's and no INT's and 2-12 on 3rd down conversions. All Bama's TD's came on the ground with the help of 5 Texas turnovers and no Colt Mccoy to contend with. Had Mccoy stayed healthy and in the game, Texas wears Bama down and wins that game. They don't have Ingram and Jones or McElroy now. They're not going to the national title game. They'll have a great season, but huh-uh. There's no experience at the skill position to carry the load while the new guys get up to speed.

Especially in the Almighty SEC

mightysooner
5/25/2011, 09:06 PM
Especially in the Almighty SEC

Eggzachary

JLEW1818
5/26/2011, 09:05 AM

I can trust Bammer fans to not bring up last year's title winner to keep that a valid statement :D

in additon to that

they lost their 2 best offensive players and their best defensive player.

KantoSooner
5/26/2011, 10:36 AM
I have no problem with someone picking Bama at this stage. At this stage it's all speculation.

And there are going to be two teams playing for it and more with arguments to make in early January.

Way to early to get emotionally involved.

Except to say, **** Texas.

icmwhOU72
5/26/2011, 10:49 AM
OK here is my problem with them being picked, although i would nto be upset if they were the consensus preseason pick, Do they not return all the same key components on defense minus darius from a 3 loss year? Now they lose their top rb, wr and qb on offense? not only that but i think the sec is getting better as a whole. Florida will still be at least a 3 loss team and aubern wont be as good but lsu s car ark and a lot of other schools ar improving. I just dont know why He is so surprised they are ranked second.

JLEW1818
5/26/2011, 10:53 AM
getting LSU at home is helpful

but it could see them slipping early to Joe P

BoulderSooner79
5/26/2011, 11:15 AM

Given that McCoy left so early in the contest, I don't think there is much to be learned by what happened in the title game. The only reason the horns scored any TDs was due to 'Bama's total arrogance on defense thinking they could cover Shipley using man coverage. Gilbert locked in on Shipley every play (understandable) and 'Bama could have doubled him or zoned to his side, but they thought they had the game in the bag. But since the horns never stopped the 'Bama run game, McElroy was very conservative and was never asked to make a play. But I think McElroy was the difference during the season as a playmaker over what they had in Wilson the year before. Wilson was mostly a game manager.

Anyway, I think it is a big deal that the Tide will have a new starting QB. They are not a QB oriented team, but at some critical points, the guy will have to make plays under pressure. McElroy was able to do it as a first year starter, but he did go through a slump that almost cost them a couple of close games.

EatLeadCommie
5/26/2011, 01:09 PM
I think Bama has too many big question marks on offense, but I can certainly see the reasoning for it.

PalmBeachSooner
5/26/2011, 01:16 PM
Will there be any offense in the SEC in 2011?

SoonerPride
5/26/2011, 01:17 PM
they just saw this article in Tuscaloosa and added another banner to their stadium.

josh09
5/26/2011, 01:30 PM
Just saw this. As much as I hate being preseason #1, I just don't see how we CAN'T be. Bama will be good, but if we do anything besides win a NC, our entire fanbase will be unhappy!

JLEW1818
5/26/2011, 01:31 PM
i'm taking no chances

with no conference championship game. I'll will start #1 all day

SoonerofAlabama
5/26/2011, 01:55 PM
I have no problem with being number one. If you have enough talent and luck, you can go straight through the season at #1. I agree with JLEW1818 on this one, the #1 spot is without a conference championship is a good spot to be in. If we begin te season at #2 and work our way up to #1 throughout the season that is okay, but if I was an expert I wouldn't put Alabama at number one either. Right now, Oklahoma has the fewest question marks and the most experience of any team.

ouwasp
5/27/2011, 01:22 AM
Here's an angle no one has mentioned yet... the sentiment to see Bama win after the terrible tornado that tore through Tuscaloosa. You know, the human interest stories about survivors uniting behind the Crimson Tide, how that salves their wounds.

If feel sorry for residents of Tuscaloosa (and Joplin) too, but you know that's coming...

Peach Fuzz
5/27/2011, 01:31 AM
basically v-tech tuscaloosa campus.... ****, forgot about that **** but you're prolly right

bikerdood
5/27/2011, 02:20 AM

this...

TheLadiesMike
5/27/2011, 02:38 AM

It's easy to look good against an injured Jason White and Garrett Gilbert.

TUSKtimes
5/27/2011, 01:30 PM

That is because offense is fickle and will come and go without so much as a goodbye. Defense is a lifetime commitment to the old adage, "a friend in need."

At Alabama, we chose our associates wisely.

boomermagic
5/27/2011, 05:15 PM
It doesn't matter if we're number 1 to start the season or not.

boomermagic
5/27/2011, 05:21 PM
Given that McCoy left so early in the contest, I don't think there is much to be learned by what happened in the title game. The only reason the horns scored any TDs was due to 'Bama's total arrogance on defense thinking they could cover Shipley using man coverage. Gilbert locked in on Shipley every play (understandable) and 'Bama could have doubled him or zoned to his side, but they thought they had the game in the bag. But since the horns never stopped the 'Bama run game, McElroy was very conservative and was never asked to make a play. But I think McElroy was the difference during the season as a playmaker over what they had in Wilson the year before. Wilson was mostly a game manager.

Anyway, I think it is a big deal that the Tide will have a new starting QB. They are not a QB oriented team, but at some critical points, the guy will have to make plays under pressure. McElroy was able to do it as a first year starter, but he did go through a slump that almost cost them a couple of close games.

This post makes sense.

sendbaht
5/27/2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks for posting this:

I can see and understand it all.

I say just for the heck of it made Ok St number 1 just to watch them fall. Why not? Be fun.

mightysooner
5/27/2011, 05:49 PM

Gilbert threw 4 interceptions, one of which was returned for a pick six. Let's not underestimate Mccoy's impact in that game. Mccoy was a winner. We should know that better than anybody. Mccoy wouldn't throw 4 interceptions and he was moving the ball just fine on Bama before he went down. I think Texas wins the game with Mccoy under center.

Everybody keeps talking about Bama not being a QB team blah, blah ,blah. They didn't just lose McElroy. They lost Ingram and Jones too. If they're not a QB team (which is true), who are they going to rely on to carry the load? Inexperience......in the SEC. Bama isn't going to the NT game next season. No way, no how. If we lost Jones, Broyles, and Murray last year, would we be talking about how we should be ranked #1 pre-season and how we're going to the national title game with a new unproven QB,RB,and WR combo? Hell no we wouldn't.....and neither would anybody else......because that's just dumb.

SoCaliSooner
5/27/2011, 05:57 PM
...or against Florida State without their All American wide receiver Snoop Minnis who led their team in receptions....it works both ways and OU has had the benefit of a national championship game against a team missing a key player.

BoulderSooner79
5/27/2011, 07:11 PM
Gilbert threw 4 interceptions, one of which was returned for a pick six. Let's not underestimate Mccoy's impact in that game. Mccoy was a winner. We should know that better than anybody. Mccoy wouldn't throw 4 interceptions and he was moving the ball just fine on Bama before he went down. I think Texas wins the game with Mccoy under center.

It's a *big* stretch to say the horns win that game with McCoy because he was moving he ball. He was hurt on the 5th offensive play, so extrapolating the first 4 plays to the rest of the game is a leap of faith. I'll certainly grant it would have been a different game because they had no chance with Gilbert. Bama started by wetting themselves with a dumb fake punt and other silly mistakes, but they would have settled down. I would have still put my $$ on Bama at the point McCoy got hurt, but we'll never know. It does warm my heart knowing that every horn fan thinks they would have won and forever will be haunted by "if only McCoy doesn't get hurt...".

TheLadiesMike
5/27/2011, 07:13 PM
...or against Florida State without their All American wide receiver Snoop Minnis who led their team in receptions....it works both ways and OU has had the benefit of a national championship game against a team missing a key player.

QB >>>>>>>> 1 WR

No one is using a sample of two games against teams with injured staring QBs to say Stoops = anything here. It was someone saying that about Saban. He's a good coach but he's not unbeatable.

BoulderSooner79
5/27/2011, 07:20 PM
QB >>>>>>>> 1 WR

No one is using a sample of two games against teams with injured staring QBs to say Stoops = anything here. It was someone saying that about Saban. He's a good coach but he's not unbeatable.

^This. In '08, Bama had a 1 point lead going into the 4th against the gators and let Tebow's *passing* shred them the rest the way. Last year they were everyone's #1 pick and lost 3 games which included blowing a 24-0 lead against Auburn. And then there was that Sugar bowl against Utah where they got flattened -- but that didn't count because they didn't want to be there.

oudavid1
5/27/2011, 07:36 PM
Its cool, THEY DONT HAVE A QB. But its cool.

TUSKtimes
5/27/2011, 08:36 PM
Its cool, THEY DONT HAVE A QB. But its cool.

Alabama is recruiting talent at quarterback that is rivaling our running back and LB position. Phil Sims and AJ McCarron are extremely talented players. AJ will be in his 3rd year in the system and Sims will be in his second. Their arm strength and release are amazing and both have shown command of the offense in defensive recognition and leadership quality.

Their is a huge difference between having a QB controversy, because neither one can separate and distinguish themselves, due to poor production, as opposed to having two outstanding QB's putting up great numbers and moving the team. I doubt coach Saban is losing any sleep waiting for this one to resolve itself.
Either way, the position looks more than solid for seasons to come.

SoonerofAlabama
5/27/2011, 08:42 PM
Don't try and say that Alabama has outstanding quarterbacks. You and I both know they don't. Alabama quarterbacks always have something to rely on in case they make a mistake, like most teams. The difference is they have more of these things to rely upon than most teams.

TUSKtimes
5/27/2011, 08:52 PM
Don't try and say that Alabama has outstanding quarterbacks. You and I both know they don't. Alabama quarterbacks always have something to rely on in case they make a mistake, like most teams. The difference is they have more of these things to rely upon than most teams.

What stats during our spring game tells that story? Phil Sims was the top pro QB in the nation coming out of high school. AJ McCarron was a top flight high school All-American, out of Mobile, who was sought by one and all. There is a legitimate reason Bama is ranked as high as they are in so many media publications, TALENT. Both sides of the ball.

oudavid1
5/27/2011, 09:08 PM
Alabama is recruiting talent at quarterback that is rivaling our running back and LB position. Phil Sims and AJ McCarron are extremely talented players. AJ will be in his 3rd year in the system and Sims will be in his second. Their arm strength and release are amazing and both have shown command of the offense in defensive recognition and leadership quality.

Their is a huge difference between having a QB controversy, because neither one can separate and distinguish themselves, due to poor production, as opposed to having two outstanding QB's putting up great numbers and moving the team. I doubt coach Saban is losing any sleep waiting for this one to resolve itself.
Either way, the position looks more than solid for seasons to come.

So both QBs are amazing yet neither can start so the other can transfer?

Either way this is a team they was up 24-0 at home and couldnt beat their biggest rival. Biggest choke ever. McElroy was decent, and these guys arent better. Richardson was less productive running the football (as was the entire team) this year (2010) than last (2009). In my opinion, you dont have big named receivers, you have a good tailback, and no QB. But I could be wrong.

TUSKtimes
5/27/2011, 09:15 PM
So both QBs are amazing yet neither can start so the other can transfer?

Either way this is a team they was up 24-0 at home and couldnt beat their biggest rival. Biggest choke ever. McElroy was decent, and these guys arent better. Richardson was less productive running the football (as was the entire team) this year (2010) than last (2009). In my opinion, you dont have big named receivers, you have a good tailback, and no QB. But I could be wrong.

Sound like a half empty glass, kind of guy. That's why we play the games.

SoonerofAlabama
5/27/2011, 09:37 PM
They have a talented running back that hasn't proven anything yet, two quarterbacks who haven't done anything yet and probably won't, no wide receivers (no matter how good you think Maze and Hanks are), a secondary that is still young, and a defensive front seven that has lost talent. Sound like a number one team to you?

TUSKtimes
5/27/2011, 09:56 PM
They have a talented running back that hasn't proven anything yet, two quarterbacks who haven't done anything yet and probably won't, no wide receivers (no matter how good you think Maze and Hanks are), a secondary that is still young, and a defensive front seven that has lost talent. Sound like a number one team to you?

In our 2009 NC drive, Bama was predicted to finish third in our western division. Tons of talent has made most, too cautious of making the same mistake. It's usually best to be careful about what you can't see, yet. But in your case, it's obvious, you're not really looking that hard to began with.

oudavid1
5/27/2011, 10:17 PM
Sound like a half empty glass, kind of guy. That's why we play the games.

More like a hater. I should probably say, I am a Tennessee guy as well. Thats why my opinions are skewed.

SoonerofAlabama
5/27/2011, 10:17 PM
I am looking very hard. I keep track of many teams, but I am just saying Alabama is not ready yet. They may be successful next year, but they won't win a championship. They aren't ready. You can't say that they are either. Just because defense wins championsjips, doesn't mean you can just skate through without an offensive touchdown and hope that the defense gets a pick si. Their defense is good, and their offense will most likely be mediocre. Just because McCarron has a strong arm, doesn't mean he has accuracy, scrambling ability, Football IQ, or the necessary skills to be a successful quarterback. Richardson can run the ball, but in the "powerhouse" SEC, defenses will be able to stop him and soon you will need a quarterback that can win the game and throw for a long TD to a talented receiver. Alabama recruited well, but that doesn't mean they have instant success. Alabama's schedule is very easy. Penn State won't be too good next year and you get LSU at Bryant-Denny Stadium. You play North Texas, Kent State, and Georgia Southern for your other non-conference games. You play at Auburn and Florida, but both are in rebuilding stages. The rest of your schedule is just the lows of the SEC. You may be able to win against low talent level, but this isn't the championship team for Alabama.

SoonerofAlabama
5/27/2011, 10:20 PM
What stats during our spring game tells that story? Phil Sims was the top pro QB in the nation coming out of high school. AJ McCarron was a top flight high school All-American, out of Mobile, who was sought by one and all. There is a legitimate reason Bama is ranked as high as they are in so many media publications, TALENT. Both sides of the ball.

Oh yes! The spring game tells so much about how talented a player is and so do national recruit rankings. They tell so much about a player's actual talent level and are never off by even a little bit.

Scouts have been wrong many times before and will be wrong many times in the future.

TUSKtimes
5/27/2011, 10:51 PM
Oh yes! The spring game tells so much about how talented a player is and so do national recruit rankings. They tell so much about a player's actual talent level and are never off by even a little bit.

Scouts have been wrong many times before and will be wrong many times in the future.

Well, then all you have to do is apply all that logic, reasoning and amazing deduction to your football team. Now you can be consistently ignorant and blind, regardless of who you root for.

TUSKtimes
5/27/2011, 11:14 PM
More like a hater. I should probably say, I am a Tennessee guy as well. Thats why my opinions are skewed.

Good enough, any vol sympathizer automatically qualifies for special compensation for SEC tolerance. It is an emotional thing, after all. :D

boomermagic
5/27/2011, 11:17 PM
Well, then all you have to do is apply all that logic, reasoning and amazing deduction to your football team. Now you can be consistently ignorant and blind, regardless of who you root for.

Look Tusk, I think you have some VERY talented players as do we but your on an OU board so don't expect everyone to jump in and say Yeah, Bama will be the very best. It ain't gonna happen. Bama is capable of beating anyone but again, so are we. I like Bama they are probably my second favorite team. I have a lot of respect for the tradition that Bama brings to the game.. I don't agree with your 30 national championships or however many your claiming now but I have respect so do the same.

TUSKtimes
5/27/2011, 11:54 PM
Look Tusk, I think you have some VERY talented players as do we but your on an OU board so don't expect everyone to jump in and say Yeah, Bama will be the very best. It ain't gonna happen. Bama is capable of beating anyone but again, so are we. I like Bama they are probably my second favorite team. I have a lot of respect for the tradition that Bama brings to the game.. I don't agree with your 30 national championships or however many your claiming now but I have respect so do the same.

Not upset. Far from it. Just pointing out that his measuring stick for the goose, is good for the gander.

But now those 30 national championships, just hyperbole. I have irrefutable evidence, it's only 29.

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 11:59 AM
Alabama doesn't win a national title next year. They have some things to answer befoe they are at that level.

oudavid1
5/28/2011, 08:02 PM
Good enough, any vol sympathizer automatically qualifies for special compensation for SEC tolerance. It is an emotional thing, after all. :D

Agreed, but i have to be honest. I like McCarron. I just think i have enough crap to mask how could be might be.

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 08:04 PM
Agreed, but i have to be honest. I like McCarron. I just think i have enough crap to mask how could be might be.

Tennessee has their own good quarterback with Tyler Bray. He could do pretty well next season.

oudavid1
5/28/2011, 08:05 PM
Tennessee has their own good quarterback with Tyler Bray. He could do pretty well next season.

Not gonna lie, almost as excited to see him play as LJ.

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 08:10 PM
Well, just gonna go for it, aren't ya? He is talented and won them some games last year, I have already forgotten what his record was as their starter.

oudavid1
5/28/2011, 08:16 PM
Well, just gonna go for it, aren't ya? He is talented and won them some games last year, I have already forgotten what his record was as their starter.

5-0

And yes, I dont count the UNC game which they actually won.

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 08:20 PM
Go with what the scoreboard says. I know that must have been rough. I watched it and it was a great game. The refs probably messed that one up, but it was good experience for Bray. I also knew that the UNC thing would come up.

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 08:29 PM
Hey, oudavid where is the 98 jersey number? The 99 days thread is on page two, you going to post?