PDA

View Full Version : If a waitress said "we don't serve your kind here"

Chuck Bao
5/25/2011, 01:58 PM
What would you do if she said that to the patrons at the next table?

It is interesting that Texans would stand up for a gay couple when the majority of New Yorkers wouldn't. I would imagine that Oklahomans would say something too! May need to rethink some of those red state stereotypes.

I didn't know that service in Texas can be legally denied on the basis of sexual orientation. But, I guess I did because most restaurants reserve the right to refuse service to ANYBODY. They just wouldn't get my business if I observed something like that.

Here is the link until I fix the embedded bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhl9MLno424&feature=player_embedded

The Profit
5/25/2011, 02:03 PM

It is interesting that Texans would stand up for a gay couple when the majority of New Yorkers wouldn't. I would imagine that Oklahomans would say something too! May need to rethink some of those red state stereotypes.

I didn't know that service in Texas can be legally denied on the basis of sexual orientation. But, I guess I did because most restaurants reserve the right to refuse service to ANYBODY. They just wouldn't get my business if I observed something like that.

A restaurant can put up any kind of sign that it wishes to display, but it cannot deny service to someone because they are a member of a particular race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

delhalew
5/25/2011, 02:03 PM
Yep. Country folks get a bad rap.

soonerchk
5/25/2011, 02:05 PM
I think it depends on which "kind" we are talking about.

delhalew
5/25/2011, 02:08 PM
I think you should be able to keep any group of people out of your business. I also think patrons will decide you're an *******, and not eat there.

Jammin'
5/25/2011, 02:10 PM
I think it depends on which "kind" we are talking about.

Which kind would you stand up for chk?

oumartin
5/25/2011, 02:11 PM
I once got asked to leave a restaraunt because I was too sexy...

lexsooner
5/25/2011, 02:11 PM

Of course! Don't you remember Rock Hudson in the movie Giant which was set in Tejas? He hooked it out with Sarge the diner owner over Sarge's refusal to serve a Mexican couple. After Sarge knocked out Rock, he figured Rock had proven his point and removed the "We reserve the right to refuse service . . " sign and laid it on Rock's belly.

soonerchk
5/25/2011, 02:12 PM
Which kind would you stand up for chk?

I would not stand up for high school kids, everyone else is probably okay.

Mostly because I was never that obnoxious when I was their age. *adjusts halo*

Sooner5030
5/25/2011, 02:13 PM
While the establishment would no longer get my business I also don't think the government should restrict a private entity's ability to discriminate for any reason they choose. One of those areas where the "tyranny of the majority" and the "greater good" trampled on our individual liberty.

sanantoniosooner
5/25/2011, 02:14 PM
A private business ought to be allowed to chase off as many customers as they want.

lexsooner
5/25/2011, 02:14 PM
I once got asked to leave a restaraunt because I was too sexy...

Applebee's always split hairs between us United Methodists and Southern Methodists. It's like "Take that UMC flame and the cross and go eat with your own kind!"

The Profit
5/25/2011, 02:15 PM
Of course! Don't you remember Rock Hudson in the movie Giant which was set in Tejas? He hooked it out with Sarge the diner owner over Sarge's refusal to serve a Mexican couple. After Sarge knocked out Rock, he figured Rock had proven his point and removed the "We reserve the right to refuse service . . " sign and laid it on Rock's belly.

And that's the way that Mexicans were treated in Texas for decades. Its the same way blacks were treated in the south, including Oklahoma. We don't really want to go back to those days. I have no problem with refusing to serve someone based upon their actions though, including dress, decorum, etc.

CrimsonJim
5/25/2011, 02:15 PM
/me sneaks up behind chk and tips her halo and runs away as fast as he can!! *pant*

Chuck Bao
5/25/2011, 02:16 PM
Yep. Country folks get a bad rap.

I agree. That is one of the main reasons why I posted it. And, spek.

TitoMorelli
5/25/2011, 02:16 PM

I'd guess the reason is that people in "fly-over country" are more considerate of others in general.

Either that, or Farmers Branch TX now has more gay diners than the rest of the Metroplex put together.

StoopTroup
5/25/2011, 02:18 PM
I've been kicked out for wearing OU stuff.....

The Profit
5/25/2011, 02:18 PM

That's legal. Stupid, but legal.

oumartin
5/25/2011, 02:19 PM

You failed to mention it was a thong and it was all you were wearing.

Chuck Bao
5/25/2011, 02:21 PM
And that's the way that Mexicans were treated in Texas for decades. Its the same way blacks were treated in the south, including Oklahoma. We don't really want to go back to those days. I have no problem with refusing to serve someone based upon their actions though, including dress, decorum, etc.

I agree with that completely. If two young kids were smooching in the restaurant, I wouldn't have a problem with kicking them out.

StoopTroup
5/25/2011, 02:23 PM
I wonder if they will ever remake Dennis Weaver's TV Show in NY "McCoud" only instead of him being a straight up Cowboy from Taos, NM....have him Flaming Austin tx ghey. I think it would be more realistic that way.

http://www.philsilversshow.com/mccloud-color2.jpg

lexsooner
5/25/2011, 02:24 PM
I agree with that completely. If two young kids were smooching in the restaurant, I wouldn't have a problem with kicking them out.

If parents cannot control their kids, even after a warning, they should be asked to leave too.

StoopTroup
5/25/2011, 02:24 PM

Screw them....I think standing on the White Piano in the Piano bar put it over the top while a friend played Boomer Sooner on the Piano did it too.

The Maestro
5/25/2011, 02:28 PM

...and then Rock went and had butt secks in his trailer with some dood!

The Profit
5/25/2011, 02:31 PM
...and then Rock went and had butt secks in his trailer with some dood!

Probably with James Dean, who was bi...Perhaps Liz got to watch.

Jammin'
5/25/2011, 02:32 PM
Probably with James Dean, who was bi...Perhaps Liz got to watch.

Or the Duke. Marion died with how much dookie crammed up in his hole? (socal will know)

The Profit
5/25/2011, 02:34 PM
Or the Duke. Marion died with how much dookie crammed up in his hole? (socal will know)

I didn't know The Duke was gay. I knew some said he was a coward during WWII, but I didn't know he was gay. I don't think that's true, but if it is...so be it.

Position Limit
5/25/2011, 02:35 PM

i watched the video and didnt see the part that spoke of the majority of new yorkers not coming to the aid of a gay couple being belligerently harassed by a waitress. was that really in there? i guess i need to rewatch.

Chuck Bao
5/25/2011, 02:40 PM
i watched the video and didnt see the part that spoke of the majority of new yorkers not coming to the aid of a gay couple being belligerently harassed by a waitress. was that really in there? i guess i need to rewatch.

Yeah, near the end of the vid, the narrator said that they did the same experiment in New York last year and only a dozen of 100 patrons came to the gay couple's defense. Maybe this year, more would with equality of marriage being on the ballot.

Position Limit
5/25/2011, 02:47 PM
Yeah, near the end of the vid, the narrator said that they did the same experiment in New York last year and only a dozen of 100 patrons came to the gay couple's defense. Maybe this year, more would with equality of marriage being on the ballot.

i'd like to see that act. is it on video also, and is the waitress harassing with the same amout of vulgarity? i'm not doubting the kindness of the good people of whatever texas town this was shot it, but i'd love to see a demographic make up of the area. including education and income levels. and contrast the setting with an area in texas that's more prone to homophobia.

3rdgensooner
5/25/2011, 02:53 PM
http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/8127/slide_8127_108380_large.jpg

jk the sooner fan
5/25/2011, 02:56 PM

but but but, the people in the blue states are so much more enlightened than the rest of us....

The Profit
5/25/2011, 02:59 PM
but but but, the people in the blue states are so much more enlightened than the rest of us....

Have you ever thought that people in New York don't face the same day in and day out prejudice related to sexual orientation that gays and lesbians face in Texas? Perhaps that makes them more sensitive to the issue?

jk the sooner fan
5/25/2011, 03:01 PM
Have you ever thought that people in New York don't face the same day in and day out prejudice related to sexual orientation that gays and lesbians face in Texas? Perhaps that makes them more sensitive to the issue?

my new internet stalker

i've lived up there - racism, bigotry, the works - it's all on display up there

The Profit
5/25/2011, 03:05 PM
my new internet stalker

i've lived up there - racism, bigotry, the works - it's all on display up there

I agree. Racism, bigotry, the works, etc. exist everywhere. And no, I am not your stalker. I stalk SoonerCruiser as part of my study in abnormal psychology. You, while not extraordinary, are undoubtedly normal.

JohnnyMack
5/25/2011, 03:08 PM

Hey, he slimmed down to 149. He wanted to show off his goods. I can't blame the sexy bitch.

jk the sooner fan
5/25/2011, 03:09 PM
I agree. Racism, bigotry, the works, etc. exist everywhere. And no, I am not your stalker. I stalk SoonerCruiser as part of my study in abnormal psychology. You, while not extraordinary, are undoubtedly normal.

thank you - my god if that's not personal validation right there, i don't know what is

pphilfran
5/25/2011, 03:11 PM

Bet it would have been a different story if Sarge had known Rock was gay....

Oldnslo
5/25/2011, 04:04 PM
Bet it would have been a different story if Sarge had known Rock was gay....

He'd have stopped in for a cold one?

texaspokieokie
5/25/2011, 04:07 PM

yep, but rockette had a mx daughter-in-law. married to dennis hopper.

Jammin'
5/25/2011, 04:11 PM
but rockette

That's all I read of this post.

texaspokieokie
5/25/2011, 04:13 PM
That's all I read of this post.

well, i didn't read any of yours.

SoCaliSooner
I haven't read what this is about, but if I was not given service at a restaurant I think that calls for an upper decker, but not just any upper decker, the kind where you flush and then immediately shut off the water valve to the tank. Next you dump out in the now empty tank and let that simmer in there for a while.

Chuck, you can hang your sharted up dirty chonies from the restroom mirror as your signature calling card as well.

OUMallen
A restaurant can put up any kind of sign that it wishes to display, but it cannot deny service to someone because they are a member of a particular race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I'm not sure...homosexuals aren't a protected class by the government and we can safely assume the diner is a privately-owned entity, so.......

Jammin'
5/25/2011, 04:14 PM
well, i didn't read any of yours.

well, there.

P.S. butt rocket.

The Profit
5/25/2011, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure...homosexuals aren't a protected class by the government.

You might be right, although they may be in some states.

texaspokieokie
5/25/2011, 04:18 PM
well, there.

P.S. butt rocket.

yeah, i finally caught on after i'd already posted.
DUH

The Profit
5/25/2011, 04:20 PM
To answer the original question of the post, how is this. I'd put a knife between her ribs.

badger
5/25/2011, 04:23 PM
I read a funny story on a Japanese restaurant that ordered a returning customer to pay 18 percent gratuity up front or none of their chefs would serve her (it was one of those fun places that fix your food right in front of you). She happened to be black, but more importantly to the restaurant, she apparently never tipped and became notorious for her never-tipping spree at that place till finally the chefs refused to be the one stuck with her :D

Honestly, the waitress should just be happy to get customers that tip, regardless of their background.

EDIT: Linky linky (http://www.ktvu.com/hollywood-vine/22655961/detail.html)

sooner_born_1960
5/25/2011, 04:28 PM
those chefs should be fired.

The Profit
5/25/2011, 04:29 PM
those chefs should be fired.

No they shouldn't....They have the right to attach a tip to the bill. It is done all of the time.

sooner_born_1960
5/25/2011, 04:31 PM
You are right. If the restaurant owner is ok with that behavior, then so be it.

rekamrettuB
5/25/2011, 04:31 PM
You might be right, although they may be in some states.

Watch the first 60 seconds of the video. Texas CAN refuse service based on sexual preference.

The Profit
5/25/2011, 04:34 PM
Watch the first 60 seconds of the video. Texas CAN refuse service based on sexual preference.

Yeah, I saw that...Texas, and several other backward states, can do that. It is a shame that any state would condone bigotry, but some choose to.

rekamrettuB
5/25/2011, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I saw that...Texas, and several other backward states, can do that. It is a shame that any state would condone bigotry, but some choose to.

True. No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service qualifies.

Prodigal
5/25/2011, 04:43 PM
That was some pretty obvious acting.

If the two were engaging in public displays of affection, I would expect and hope that they would be asked to leave. Otherwise, nothing to get worked up about.

soonerchk
5/25/2011, 05:02 PM

Wait wait wait. I have been told repeatedly that girl on girl is perfectly acceptable, nay encouraged. Now you tell me it's not??

rekamrettuB
5/25/2011, 05:05 PM
Wait wait wait. I have been told repeatedly that girl on girl is perfectly acceptable, nay encouraged. Now you tell me it's not??

I found out this weekend that "it's OK, if it's in a 3-way".

yermom
5/25/2011, 05:06 PM
i'm no homophobe, but comparing Texas to New York is like apple and bananas

also, the bystanders sure seemed a little gay...

soonerchk
5/25/2011, 05:07 PM

That is actually true.

rekamrettuB
5/25/2011, 05:07 PM
i'm no homophobe, but comparing Texas to New York is like apple and bananas

also, the bystanders sure seemed a little gay...

I thought it was Fin Diesel...Vin's little brother.

sappstuf
5/25/2011, 05:08 PM

And when it is four, watch the back door....

soonerboy_odanorth
5/25/2011, 05:38 PM
... I'd think, "What? No Irish?..."

MR2-Sooner86
5/25/2011, 06:11 PM
If a business wants to throw out gays, blacks, Mexicans, Jews, Arabs, whoever, they have that right. They also have the right to take whatever bad press is going to be thrown their way.

If this was real, somebody had a phone, recorded it, and put it up on Youtube, the whole world would know of this waitress and restaurant within 24 hours, and it'd be all over the news, blogs, and forums. Yes, there will probably be some people go their for "support" but the negative press with outweigh that as everybody will know what they do and support.

I found this video too. A cop gets called on two gay guys sitting on a park bench.

2O7IW1CP0jA

Just remember folks, interracial couples weren't seen as "right" by national polls, 51% approval, until 1990.

jk the sooner fan
5/25/2011, 06:14 PM
If a business wants to throw out gays, blacks, Mexicans, Jews, Arabs, whoever, they have that right. They also have the right to take whatever bad press is going to be thrown their way.

according to current discrimination laws - the protected groups you named in the above - businesses DO NOT have that right

SoonerNate
5/25/2011, 06:28 PM
Where is the video of the New Yorkers?

usmc-sooner
5/25/2011, 06:35 PM
I'd rather them tell me to leave than spit in my food and pee in my drink. That **** happens true story

MR2-Sooner86
5/25/2011, 06:37 PM
according to current discrimination laws - the protected groups you named in the above - businesses DO NOT have that right

I know they don't but I feel a private business should have a choice. Yes, I'm saying if a business wants to be racist, sexist, or homophobic they have that right. As I said, they also must take whatever comes their way for doing that.

As I mentioned before, businesses did do it but now a person can whip out their phone, record it, upload it onto Facebook/Youtube, and it'll be around the world within 24 hours. There can then be online petitions and protests with the news there within 48 hours.

Somebody could even make an Android or iPhone app showing businesses that don't like A, B, and C groups.

That was impossible to do before 1964.

Now you're probably asking, "Why do that when we have the law already set up?" Simple, the Federal Government doesn't have the power to tell a private business who they can and cannot operate with. The same can go the other way too. The Federal Government can't make a law saying only blacks can buy Aunt Jemima products because if whites bought it then it's racist.

Now you're probably saying, "The Federal Government can't force you buy or not buy anything!" Really? Obamacare says otherwise.

pphilfran
5/25/2011, 06:42 PM
I have been in a situation far worse...

Eating at Jigs with my girlfriend and one of her friends...on the way to a night Sooner game..that Baylor OT win...

Two longhorn fans come in decked to the max...they order and sit down at the table next to us...

The two girls I was with start hounding the horn fans...I mean bad...heavy duty chit talking...the horns just sat quietly and took it...

I tried to get the girls to quiet down but they continued on...I picked up my food and went outside and ate in the car...

I didn't get any after the game...

Was I wrong...was I a bad Sooner fan?

usmc-sooner
5/25/2011, 06:44 PM
I don't think they like being called Jigs

yermom
5/25/2011, 06:44 PM
I know they don't but I feel a private business should have a choice. Yes, I'm saying if a business wants to be racist, sexist, or homophobic they have that right. As I said, they also must take whatever comes their way for doing that.

As I mentioned before, businesses did do it but now a person can whip out their phone, record it, upload it onto Facebook/Youtube, and it'll be around the world within 24 hours. There can then be online petitions and protests with the news there within 48 hours.

Somebody could even make an Android or iPhone app showing businesses that don't like A, B, and C groups.

That was impossible to do before 1964.

Now you're probably asking, "Why do that when we have the law already set up?" Simple, the Federal Government doesn't have the power to tell a private business who they can and cannot operate with. The same can go the other way too. The Federal Government can't make a law saying only blacks can buy Aunt Jemima products because if whites bought it then it's racist.

Now you're probably saying, "The Federal Government can't force you buy or not buy anything!" Really? Obamacare says otherwise.

i'm pretty sure the federal government can tell a business who they can and cannot operate with

maybe you think they shouldn't be able to, but they do now

i'm fine with it.

you really want to have to deal with uppity negroes sitting in at your favorite restaurant keeping you from ordering?

usmc-sooner
5/25/2011, 06:46 PM
and they be uppity

AlboSooner
5/25/2011, 06:49 PM
A private business ought to be allowed to chase off as many customers as they want.

simplistic view. What if they chase only you off, and allow everybody else? Most likely you will be embarrassed and humiliated, while they still make money off the majority of the people who they didn't chase off.

usmc-sooner
5/25/2011, 06:52 PM
I would chase off every wigger that came in my store. Hate those white or whatever race that act like that.

MR2-Sooner86
5/25/2011, 06:55 PM
i'm pretty sure the federal government can tell a business who they can and cannot operate with

With the Commerce Clause? Yes they could such as Walmart. A little mom and pop burger shack however that gets it's stuff locally would not be under that power.

maybe you think they shouldn't be able to, but they do now

i'm fine with it.

The greedy capitalist in me just doesn't want the government saying what you can and cannot do. If you want to be a jerk, be a jerk, but be prepared for the consequences.

you really want to have to deal with uppity negroes sitting in at your favorite restaurant keeping you from ordering?

It's not the uppity negroes that bother me but those god damn Jersey Shore guidos.

AlboSooner
5/25/2011, 06:55 PM

If this was real, somebody had a phone, recorded it, and put it up on Youtube, the whole world would know of this waitress and restaurant within 24 hours, and it'd be all over the news, blogs, and forums. Yes, there will probably be some people go their for "support" but the negative press with outweigh that as everybody will know what they do and support.

I found this video too. A cop gets called on two gay guys sitting on a park bench.

2O7IW1CP0jA

Just remember folks, interracial couples weren't seen as "right" by national polls, 51% approval, until 1990.'

Being gay is not a racial issue. It is wrong to be racist, it is not wrong to dislike homosexuality. Personally I will never think that adultery, fornication, and homosexuality are normal sexual practices, regardless how many people do them.

yermom
5/25/2011, 07:01 PM
would you deny service to a straight couple that lived together? had kids out of wedlock? a homewrecker and her sugar daddy?

MR2-Sooner86
simplistic view. What if they chase only you off, and allow everybody else? Most likely you will be embarrassed and humiliated, while they still make money off the majority of the people who they didn't chase off.

Why did they chase you off? If you're being an idiot you deserve it. If it's because the owner doesn't like you, why would you be eating at a place where the people don't like you?

If it's a race or sexuality issue, are you saying the majority of Americans would eat at an establishment they knew hated a certain sexuality or race?

usmc-sooner
'

Being gay is not a racial issue. It is wrong to be racist, it is not wrong to dislike homosexuality. Personally I will never think that adultery, fornication, and homosexuality are normal sexual practices, regardless how many people do them.

you do not believe fornication is normal?

AlboSooner
5/25/2011, 07:03 PM
would you deny service to a straight couple that lived together? had kids out of wedlock? a homewrecker and her sugar daddy?

yermom, please see my response was only to the bold part. I respect your opinion thus I am writing this.

I would not deny service to a homosexual couple, but I will never consider homosexuality as something acceptable or normal.

Mongo
5/25/2011, 07:03 PM
go fornicate yourself, usmc

usmc-sooner
5/25/2011, 07:06 PM
go fornicate yourself, usmc

I just rolled on the floor while laughing my ENTIRE *** off

MR2-Sooner86
5/25/2011, 07:06 PM
'Being gay is not a racial issue. It is wrong to be racist, it is not wrong to dislike homosexuality. Personally I will never think that adultery, fornication, and homosexuality are normal sexual practices, regardless how many people do them.

Alright I'll play along.

It's wrong to be racist because people are born that way and can't help it, correct?

What about the gay gene? They're finding evidence that gays have different genetic makeup that could alter their sexuality.

If we follow this logic, it's wrong to dislike race or sexuality as neither are a choice.

usmc-sooner
5/25/2011, 07:13 PM
I think it's wrong to be gay also

usmc-sooner
5/25/2011, 07:14 PM
I would try being black but I aint going to try a dick

pphilfran
5/25/2011, 07:15 PM
Alright I'll play along.

It's wrong to be racist because people are born that way and can't help it, correct?

What about the gay gene? They're finding evidence that gays have different genetic makeup that could alter their sexuality.

If we follow this logic, it's wrong to dislike race or sexuality as neither are a choice.

Don't worry about the gay gene...it is on its way to extinction....

AlboSooner
5/25/2011, 07:20 PM
Tolerance of a person doesn't equate acceptance of every behavior or deviance that person may do.

MR-2, knowing full well you won't move and inch from your positions, here's this: gene apologetics are a slippery slope, not only because there is no such thing as a gay gene (what are the codons? is it DNA derived or RNA derived), and if we blamed genes for everything there would be nobody in jails, or nobody would do anything wrong. Certainly you could justify anything under the umbrella of genetics, but people make their own choices.

If somebody kills your family and the courts allow him free because of the killer gene, then I don't think you'd be very happy.

C&CDean
5/25/2011, 07:23 PM
I ain't got a pony in this fight.

pphilfran
5/25/2011, 07:32 PM
I ain't got a pony in this fight.

And I ain't got a dog in this race...

reflector
5/25/2011, 07:39 PM
I hate these contrived shows.

C&CDean
5/25/2011, 07:44 PM
I can honestly say that I hate these contrived shows.

fify

C&CDean
5/25/2011, 07:44 PM
Oh, and me too. What a pile of horse****.

reflector
5/25/2011, 07:45 PM
fify

Good work. :)

Okla-homey
5/25/2011, 07:58 PM

That's simply not the law. It's only illegal to discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, or, to a lesser extent, gender. But what do I know? I'm only a lawyer.

BTW, hear about the Texas court that ruled a tranny "married" to a deceased Texas firefighter was not entitled to survivor benefits because in Texas, two men can't get married? That happened this week. And yes, "she" was post-surgery and changed "her" name, new birth certificate and all that jazz. Correctly decided based on Texas law.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/25/2011, 08:14 PM
That's simply not the law. It's only illegal to discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, or, to a lesser extent, gender. But what do I know? I'm only a lawyer.

BTW, hear about the Texas court that ruled a tranny "married" to a deceased Texas firefighter was not entitled to survivor benefits because in Texas, two men can't get married? That happened this week. And yes, "she" was post-surgery and changed "her" name, new birth certificate and all that jazz. Correctly decided based on Texas law.

I believe disability should be added to your list, due to ADA.

In California sexual orientation is added to the list in many cases.

jk the sooner fan
5/25/2011, 09:44 PM
i dont think sexual orientation is a protected class on the fed side

oh...and for Homey

http://www.hulu.com/watch/60455/saturday-night-live-the-view-star-jones