PDA

View Full Version : DECON Miracle GOO ! !

StoopTroup
5/25/2011, 12:58 PM
If your meth lab needs a little cleaning up.....this is the stuff.....

http://decongel.com/

http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/25/technology/toxic_waste_cleanup_goo/index.htm

Blue goo sucks up toxic waste

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/2011/05/25/technology/toxic_waste_cleanup_goo/decongel.top.jpg

(CNNMoney) -- Mopping up radioactive waste is messy work. Ever since an earthquake and a tsunami crippled Japanese nuclear power plants in March, cleanup crews have been struggling to decontaminate the area. Typically, this kind of work is performed with low-tech tools: soap, water, pads, brushes and old-fashioned elbow grease.

Enter Hawaiian entrepreneur Hank Wuh, who donated 100 five-gallon pails of his company's hazardous waste cleaner, DeconGel, to the cleanup effort. Japanese officials are using the cleaner on everything from concrete walkways and parking lots to schools and retail shops, both inside and outside of the exclusion zone.

DeconGel starts off as a liquid that can be brushed or sprayed onto contaminated surfaces. It dries to form a gel that encapsulates microscopic bits of radioactive or otherwise hazardous waste, including PCBs, beryllium, mercury and chromium. The gel can then be peeled off, rolled up and thrown away.

The discovery of DeconGel was accidental. Wuh is the CEO of a Skai Ventures, a Honolulu-based venture capital firm and technology accelerator. Late one night in 2006, the firm's researchers got a little sloppy with an experiment. They were working with a gel that dripped from the lab table onto the floor. When they peeled it off the next morning, the floor beneath was "absolutely pristine, completely clean and white," recalls Wuh. They tried to scrub the surrounding area to get it to match, but couldn't.

"That's when the wheels started to turn," Wuh says. "We knew we had something interesting there."

Years of research and development transformed that initial puddle of goo into DeconGel. In 2009, Wuh launched a company called CBI Polymers to market and sell the substance. So far, it's been used to scour everything from shipyards to meth labs to Hungarian villages that were inundated with toxic alkali sludge during an industrial accident last year. The company has attracted about 75 clients worldwide, including power plants, utilities, research facilities and hospitals. Customers also include the U.S. Department of Defense and the U.S. Department of Energy; the latter provided funding, testing and technical advice. CBI is now working to produce a family of related products with similar properties but different applications, including a graffiti-removal polymer, coatings to boost the anti-corrosive properties of paint, and a substance that helps restore the surfaces of historic buildings.

One gallon of DeconGel nuclear decontaminant sells for $160 and covers between 50 to 100 square feet. For about a year, starting in 2009, the National Energy Technology Laboratory in Albany, Ore., used DeconGel in a remediation project, cleaning lab benches, floors, tables, walls and equipment contaminated with beryllium from research work.

BOOMERBRADLEY
5/25/2011, 01:01 PM
Ya, I've been lazy about cleaning mine up lately

StoopTroup
5/25/2011, 01:08 PM
Dude is getting calls from all over the World. I guess a lab accident is going to lead to hitting "THE JACKPOT ! ! !"

Amazing....

SoonerLVZ
5/25/2011, 01:17 PM
The gel can then be peeled off, rolled up and thrown away.

If you throw it away, won't it still have all the bad shet inside of it, I'd hope are not just taking it to the dumpster.

StoopTroup
5/25/2011, 01:24 PM
If you throw it away, won't it still have all the bad shet inside of it, I'd hope are not just taking it to the dumpster.

Well yeah because I hate running into waste like that when I'm out at the dump suntanning. :D