PDA

View Full Version : Patriot Act, Should it be extended 4 more years?

olevetonahill
5/23/2011, 07:59 PM
Or let it expire?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110523/ap_on_re_us/us_patriot_act

sooner ngintunr
5/23/2011, 08:01 PM
This should have been a pole.

C&CDean
5/23/2011, 08:04 PM
Who cares? They're gonna eavesdrop on whoever the hell they want, with or without some kind of legal priviledge. "oh that awful Bush, they're spying on my drug deals..." Meh.

StoopTroup
5/23/2011, 08:24 PM
Who cares? They're gonna eavesdrop on whoever the hell they want, with or without some kind of legal priviledge. "oh that awful Bush, they're spying on my drug deals..." Meh.

That's what i was saying a year ago....

I know they have been doing it....WTH is the big deal? All it did was screw with people's lives just like TSA is doing by patting down old ladies.

olevetonahill
5/23/2011, 08:39 PM
I cant remember the details But a year er so ago our Ex Chief and I were talking. He said that the PA gave even local cops authority that the average citizen would not believe.

Maybe some of our resident PoPos could enlighten us more ..
Sooner Knight? what say ye.

diverdog
5/23/2011, 08:44 PM
Or let it expire?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110523/ap_on_re_us/us_patriot_act

I wish I knew if it has been effective of not.

OutlandTrophy
5/23/2011, 08:45 PM
i think we should let it expire

Blue
5/23/2011, 08:49 PM
It's unconstitutional. Yes, it should expire.

olevetonahill

open for debate, much like Water boarding.

i think we should let it expire

I agree, bro Just sompun wrong with giving up some of our rights.

StoopTroup
Agreed Blue.

StoopTroup
5/23/2011, 08:53 PM

Just take it from me....

I saw it work and really all it did was confuse people and make them afraid to make decisions that made sense and they were afraid not to make the call too. None of it was done because it was clear it was the right thing to do. All it did was make the current laws/rules so vague that they just chose to act and drag people through the muck.

It took away the innocent until proven guilty and just put you in a place where you will need to prove you aren't a threat to society.

olevetonahill
5/23/2011, 08:56 PM
Just take it from me....

I saw it work and really all it did was confuse people and make them afraid to make decisions that made sense and they were afraid not to make the call too. None of it was done because it was clear it was the right thing to do. All it did was make the current laws/rules so vague that they just chose to act and drag people through the muck.

It took away the innocent until proven guilty and just put you in a place where you will need to prove you aren't a threat to society.

Hell Bro ,I am a threat to society, Why ya think I live on a Hill? :D

StoopTroup
5/23/2011, 08:59 PM
Hell Bro ,I am a threat to society, Why ya think I live on a Hill? :D

Hell Vet....the only threat to society you are is if Society don't leave you alone.

olevetonahill
5/23/2011, 09:01 PM
Hell Vet....the only threat to society you are is if Society don't leave you alone.

Well there is that.;)

OU Engineer
5/23/2011, 09:35 PM
why dont we let us police ourselves a little more...

im all for smaller government...

Midtowner
5/23/2011, 09:37 PM
It never should have existed.

yermom
5/23/2011, 09:40 PM
you guys sure hate patriots

Penguin
5/23/2011, 10:14 PM
Isn't this the plot to 'Enemy of the State'?

sooner ngintunr
5/23/2011, 11:05 PM
If you think the patriot act is cool, you might be un-american.

JohnnyMack
5/23/2011, 11:23 PM
No.

sooner ngintunr
5/23/2011, 11:26 PM
patriot act is about as german as you can get. they s hit the bed.

yermom
5/24/2011, 12:08 AM
now that the DHS is in the IP business, the Patriot Act is even scarier

olevetonahill
5/24/2011, 12:12 AM
you guys sure hate patriots

I disagree , care to explain?

Ike
5/24/2011, 12:16 AM
Expire it.

yermom
5/24/2011, 12:18 AM
I disagree , care to explain?

calling it the "Patriot Act" makes it kinda hard to disagree with it without sounding like you hate America

it's like calling it something like "Protecting the Children Act"

Curly Bill
5/24/2011, 12:31 AM
I hate the "Patriot Act" though I find true patriots pretty cool.

Turd_Ferguson
5/24/2011, 12:39 AM
I hate the "Patriot Act" though I find true patriots pretty cool.I tried to spek ya for this post, but I done runned out of it...

Curly Bill
5/24/2011, 01:20 AM
I tried to spek ya for this post, but I done runned out of it...

I'll take a rain check. One of the board commies negged me and knocked at least 300 points off me, I need the help. :D

olevetonahill
5/24/2011, 02:52 AM
calling it the "Patriot Act" makes it kinda hard to disagree with it without sounding like you hate America

it's like calling it something like "Protecting the Children Act"

Yup how can ya defend that?
:pop:

jk the sooner fan
5/24/2011, 06:46 AM
has the patriot act - other than tread all over the individual liberties of the people posting here - done anything positive?

anything at all?

can it be credited with "saving lives?"

Curly Bill
5/24/2011, 07:02 AM
has the patriot act - other than tread all over the individual liberties of the people posting here - done anything positive?

anything at all?

Even if it had I'm sure that's info we would not be privy to, but I still say get rid of it.

delhalew
5/24/2011, 09:02 AM
Pretty simple. Unconstitutional. Away with it.

jk the sooner fan
5/24/2011, 09:03 AM
the constitution requires a balance - we have to weigh the balance of the loss of freedom from the patriot act with the weight of the protections it affords us

Mississippi Sooner
5/24/2011, 09:05 AM
The Patriot Act was implemented, and then the New England Patriots began a decade of dominance. I say let the ****er expire.

delhalew
5/24/2011, 09:15 AM
the constitution requires a balance - we have to weigh the balance of the loss of freedom from the patriot act with the weight of the protections it affords us

If any of you think like this, it's time to reassess whether you really want to live in a Republic. We don't right now, but we could. It's ok if you don't have what takes to live like that. Just admit it to yourself, and everyone else.

jk the sooner fan
5/24/2011, 09:17 AM
If any of you think like this, it's time to reassess whether you really want to live in a Republic. We don't right now, but we could. It's ok if you don't have what takes to live like that. Just admit it to yourself, and everyone else.

times are different, i'm very comfortable with the way i think/feel

DIB
5/24/2011, 12:15 PM
“Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"
Ben Franklin

Get rid of it.

PS I have never understood how my fellow conservatives can support a law that so blatantly tramples on the constitutional rights of all citizens.

jk the sooner fan
5/24/2011, 12:16 PM
“Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"
Ben Franklin

Get rid of it.

PS I have never understood how my fellow conservatives can support a law that so blatantly tramples on the constitutional rights of all citizens.

"a LITTLE TEMPORARY safety"

really? if it's unconstitutional - why hasnt the Supreme Court ruled it to be so in the last 8 years? i'm just asking

DIB
5/24/2011, 12:20 PM
"a LITTLE TEMPORARY safety"

really? if it's unconstitutional - why hasnt the Supreme Court ruled it to be so in the last 8 years? i'm just asking

Because the Supreme Court is filled with a bunch of pussies that have lost the ability to reign in an out of control federal government.

soonercruiser
5/24/2011, 12:26 PM

anything at all?

Yes!
Do you own rewsearch!

Sooner_Tuf
5/24/2011, 12:27 PM
Because the Supreme Court is filled with a bunch of pussies that have lost the ability to reign in an out of control federal government.

Because they are appointed by the same out of control gov't.

NormanPride
5/24/2011, 01:21 PM
times are different, i'm very comfortable with the way i think/feel
All of your opinions are wrong, jk. And we of the internet are here to correct you. YWIA.

Sooner_Tuf
5/24/2011, 10:36 PM
All of your opinions are wrong, jk. And we of the internet are here to correct you. YWIA.

Very well could be but the gov confirms judges based on their views. So they basically get an agreeable court. What little diversity there is because they sit on the bench so long they were nominated by different administrations.

AlboSooner
5/24/2011, 11:36 PM
If this had happened...

CIA: Hello, FBI?
FBI: Yes, it's us.
CIA: Um, there's sum terrorists we've been following for a while. they are hell bent on destryoing this country. they might hijack planes.
FBI: Ummkay bra. thanks. we got it from here.

we wouldn't have this discussion. If the Patriot Act makes the above scenario true, then I'm all for it.

OU_Sooners75
5/24/2011, 11:45 PM
Let it expire.

sappstuf
5/26/2011, 11:37 AM
Well we know how Harry Reid feels...

Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) blasted Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) on the Senate floor late Wednesday night. Reid called Rand Paul's opposition to the renewal of the PATRIOT Act "political grandstanding." However, that wasn't the worst thing Reid accused the freshman Senator from Kentucky of.

"When the clock strikes midnight tomorrow, we will be giving terrorists the opportunity to plot against our country undetected," Reid said on the Senate floor. "Now, the Senator from Kentucky is threatening to take away the best tools we have for stopping them."

Oddly, Reid cities James R. Clapper, the gaffe-prone Director of National Intelligence, as someone who is encouraging Congress to renew portions of the PATRIOT Act that are due to end.

"Does this mean the PATRIOT Act is perfect? Of course not. But today, the Republican Leader and I received a letter from James Clapper, a three-star retired general from the United States military The nation's Director of National Intelligence. He knows better than any of us the real effect of letting terrorists fighting tools expire," Reid said.

Clapper, you may remember, did not know about the 2010 London bomb plot and once called the Muslim Brotherhood a "largely secular" group.

The Profit
5/26/2011, 11:46 AM
Well we know how Harry Reid feels...

Personally, I am against the Patriot Act as a whole. What Rand Paul wants to do, though, is ludicrous. He wants to make it illegal for the government to check a suspected terrorist's background to see if he/she has any firearms. It seems the NRA wants to protect a terrorists right to own guns.

yermom
5/26/2011, 11:52 AM
what deems someone a "suspected terrorist"?

The Profit
5/26/2011, 11:55 AM
what deems someone a "suspected terrorist"?

Good question. I guess the FBI, CIA, etc. have definitions. For starters, I would guess: any follower of Al Qaida, Hamas, Hezbollah, neo nazis, skin heads, members of militia groups, etc.

yermom
5/26/2011, 12:01 PM
it's the "etc..." i'm worried about

DIB
5/26/2011, 12:06 PM
Good question. I guess the FBI, CIA, etc. have definitions. For starters, I would guess: any follower of Al Qaida, Hamas, Hezbollah, neo nazis, skin heads, members of militia groups, etc.

I believe the fear is the vagueness of the definition. Is someone going to label some of the fringe members of the Tea Party, NRA, Greenpeace or PETA as suspected terrorists for political reasons? That may sound a little paranoid, but the FBI has a storied history of doing that very thing. I would still prefer that American citizens retain their constitutional rights, even if they are a little crazy. I can't imagine that it would be that hard to find a sympathetic judge willing to give out a search warrant to look into the background of a suspected terrorist.

bigfatjerk
5/26/2011, 12:40 PM
It wasn't long ago the democrats ran against this act. Now almost nobody is against this. Just another thing that proves dems are not really any different from republicans. There's a few republicans that are different but not many.

Blue
5/27/2011, 12:38 AM
Who cares what you peons think? Extended...

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110526-716892.html