PDA

View Full Version : Clarrifying USC's Recruiting Situation

Big John
5/23/2011, 03:53 PM
I don't know if this has really been discussed on this board yet, but everyone knows about the USC sanctions for lack of institutional control: to my knowledge, they received a post-season ban, they had to vacate the BCS championship victory, and they lost 30 scholarships over the next three seasons.

So, like many of you know who keep up with recruiting, they signed 30 players to the 2011 class. However, OU had a very young team last season, so many of their scholarship players returned, and as a result, they signed 17 players to the same class.

Those numbers should kind of left me scratching my head. USC is supposed to have a drastic reduction in scholarships for the next few years, so unless half their team left after the sanctions were imposed, then you would expect for them to sign less than the 25 limit. I do however, remember an article coming out about this issue with quotes from Kiffin. He basically said something about thinking that it would work out fine because USC was appealing the sanctions, and they would get more scholarships back (assuming that the appeal would go through).

My first question is... since USC has to keep all 30 players from the 2011 class on scholarship for at least this season, does that mean that they're going to pull a bunch of scholarships from more experienced players from previous recruiting classes? Also, if this is true, does that indicate that Kiffin is trying to clear out more Pete Carrol recruits to make way for his own? Or am I just completely off on my understanding of this situation?

pappy
5/23/2011, 09:28 PM
Kiffin doesn't have to keep all 30 players in this years class. There was an article written last year about several sec schools who always sign too many players and then before fall they cut several to get back to the limit.

other than that IDK.

BoulderSooner79
5/27/2011, 06:54 PM
My understanding is that the scholly limit was not in effect this year because the sanctions were being appealed. Kiffin *could* have observed the limit this year and started the 3 year clock, but now it starts next year. I can sort of understand because if he signed 15 players and the appeal cut the penalty to 5 schollies/year, he would have missed out on 5 players. If it were me, I would want to get the pain over with, but I haven't thought about all the implications that Kiffin must have.